blammoed

quality posts: 1 Private Messages blammoed
Re: For Honor and Glory

I love that you gave it the texture of woodblock :D Also love frogs and those colors are super neat.. very easy for me to like this design. <3

starboardzor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages starboardzor
HalfWheat wrote:If it wasn't for the Japanese text, though, I doubt anyone would look at it and think of Japan.

Obviously, it's Woot's call whether this fits the theme, but in my mind if it needs the text to be on theme, then it's a pretty long stretch.

Actually, this design reminds me of a lot of Japanese advertisements i've seen before... text or no text, modern Japan is what it says to me...

Gratzy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Gratzy

/facepalm

I don't know much about design or anything so if I don't use technical terms or whatnot, deal.

To prove this, I Google Image searched "Japanese advertisement" and "American advertisement." Without leaving the front page, these are the results with each being (in my opinion), the most Japanese of all the ones on the front page.

American ad: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/megaten/smt3ad.jpg
Japanese ad: http://www.slashgamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/pokemonad.jpg

These are my findings:

-The text is layered slant-wise with different tones for each layer. I find this to be distinctly Japanese. The former does not display this kind of feature; the closest it comes is to have 2-toned single layered text. Whereas looking at the latter, there is a prime example of this kind of text formatting in the upper left (the green/yellow/orange text); this is eerily similar to this, eh? Disregard the fact it is in Japanese.
-The usage of obviously cartoon-ish figures with grossly exaggerated shadows rather than the Rembrandt-esque ones found in the American one. Yes, both are graphically rendered, just one feels more like it could have been easily sketched by hand. This is like the design on this shirt. An American type ad will go overboard in graphics whereas a Japanese one is much simpler.
-The American ad relies heavily on text. When I say this, I mean the text on the advertisement itself is to paint the whole picture of the product. While I don't speak Japanese and am going on sheer volume, I imagine that, based on the relative amount of text on the Japanese advertisement, it gives more of a synopsis, from which the person is supposed to investigate more. This shirt provides this sort of "textual snapshot."
-Attention in the Japanese ads is being directed away from the center. This is done by the use of pointing, eyes looking away from it, or prominent figures being placed outside of the center; the spork displays these last two and possibly even all (how do sporks point?). The American ad wants attention drawn to the center (an absurd amount of action happening there) and slowly trace outward along those lines of action.

But someone is right. There are monochromatic backgrounds in both. I guess it can be rejected.

blammoed

quality posts: 1 Private Messages blammoed
sugareeali wrote:Wow...you did such a great job on this.

Thanks sugareeali

innuendopanda

quality posts: 22 Private Messages innuendopanda
konkonsn wrote:It is sad his nuts got cut off. But yeah...I have a tanuki lighter that has the big belly and small sac, so I guess you have to take what you can get. The guys in the store fronts of Kyoto, though...wow...just wow...

They're just under his belly fat haha

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
jabberjaws13 wrote:once again you pull me in with the owls. gmv.

hehe, I wondered if you would like this one jabberjaws. Thanks!

HalfWheat

quality posts: 18 Private Messages HalfWheat
Gratzy wrote:/facepalm

I don't know much about design or anything so if I don't use technical terms or whatnot, deal.

To prove this, I Google Image searched "Japanese advertisement" and "American advertisement." Without leaving the front page, these are the results with each being (in my opinion), the most Japanese of all the ones on the front page.

American ad: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/megaten/smt3ad.jpg
Japanese ad: http://www.slashgamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/pokemonad.jpg

These are my findings:

-The text is layered slant-wise with different tones for each layer. I find this to be distinctly Japanese. The former does not display this kind of feature; the closest it comes is to have 2-toned single layered text. Whereas looking at the latter, there is a prime example of this kind of text formatting in the upper left (the green/yellow/orange text); this is eerily similar to this, eh? Disregard the fact it is in Japanese.
-The usage of obviously cartoon-ish figures with grossly exaggerated shadows rather than the Rembrandt-esque ones found in the American one. Yes, both are graphically rendered, just one feels more like it could have been easily sketched by hand. This is like the design on this shirt. An American type ad will go overboard in graphics whereas a Japanese one is much simpler.
-The American ad relies heavily on text. When I say this, I mean the text on the advertisement itself is to paint the whole picture of the product. While I don't speak Japanese and am going on sheer volume, I imagine that, based on the relative amount of text on the Japanese advertisement, it gives more of a synopsis, from which the person is supposed to investigate more. This shirt provides this sort of "textual snapshot."
-Attention in the Japanese ads is being directed away from the center. This is done by the use of pointing, eyes looking away from it, or prominent figures being placed outside of the center; the spork displays these last two and possibly even all (how do sporks point?). The American ad wants attention drawn to the center (an absurd amount of action happening there) and slowly trace outward along those lines of action.

But someone is right. There are monochromatic backgrounds in both. I guess it can be rejected.

Woot rejected the ninja/pirate design for being off-topic when one characters was typically Japanese and the other wasn't. If the spork is considered a character in this design and Woot decides that it's not typically Japanese, they could reject for that reason.

I'm not saying they "should" reject, I'm saying they could reject. Honestly, since it's still here now, I suspect that they won't reject it.

bandit55

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bandit55
Re: Croco-croco-crocodiles and the Blue Hare

My design is from the Japanese Fairy Tale titled: The Eighty-One Brothers. A subplot in the story is a hare that convinces the crocodiles of the sea to lay in a row so that the hare may cross from the island of Oki over to Cape Keta. The hare's color in the story is not mentioned and I just felt like using blue. Same with the color choice for the crocodiles. This is my first woot submission and the first time I've created anything using a design program. I tried to be creative with the placement of the design and I hope some of you will like it. Please leave comments with what you think. Thanks!

Here is a link to the Japanese Fairy Tale, The Eighty-One Brothers:
http://www.sacred-texts.com/shi/jft2/jft207.htm

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

smilebit wrote:Well. You haven't included a word for 'and' so what you have written doesn't make sense. Since there is no word for 'and' I thought it was one word which means "samurai sea dragon." It is very confusing, the title doesn't work with what you actually have on the T-shirt.
My wife said as a Japanese it is sad to see so many people misusing kanji and are perpetuating Japanese cultural stereotypes. If Japanese people saw these T-shirts on this derby, they wouldn't want to buy any.

So it says Samurai Sea Dragon? That actually sounds very cool and still seems fitting to me. Given the odd names that grace Japanese anime and games (Bobobo-Bo Bo-Bobo, Serial Experiments Lain, Hayate the Combat Butler, Ouran High School Host Club, Kamen Rider Masked Rider Climax Heroes, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny, Samurai Champloo and on and on), somehow I don't see anyone caring that this says Samurai Sea Dragon instead of Samurai and the Sea Dragon.

bandit55

Re: Croco-croco-crocodiles and the Blue Hare Design 2

This is an alternative design to my previous submission.

My design is from the Japanese Fairy Tale titled: The Eighty-One Brothers. A subplot in the story is a hare that convinces the crocodiles of the sea to lay in a row so that the hare may cross from the island of Oki over to Cape Keta. The hare's color in the story is not mentioned and I just felt like using blue. Same with the color choice for the crocodiles. This is my first woot submission and the first time I've created anything using a design program. I tried to be creative with the placement of the design and I hope some of you will like it. Please leave comments with what you think. Thanks!

Here is a link to the Japanese Fairy Tale, The Eighty-One Brothers:
http://www.sacred-texts.com/shi/jft2/jft207.htm

HalfWheat

quality posts: 18 Private Messages HalfWheat
Re: Cute Bento

Wow, this is getting a lot of votes really fast. Too bad it will be rejected.

And now I'm waiting for the arguments that Woot *could* print this if they wanted to, and that they shouldn't reject it based on an arbitrary rule. Because of course they have printed non-derby shirts with more colors.

imtheotherguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages imtheotherguy
Re: Tora 2010

I missed the larger tiger face in black when I first looked at the large view...noticed it as I glanced at the thumbnail when I was voting for it and said "oh Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966)"

and yes the blue on olive is freaking awesome

andersca81

quality posts: 0 Private Messages andersca81

This is the stinkiest business model ever.

"Lets allow the customer to decide the product. Then, after much support is given to a particular piece, let's totally not offer it because we're t-shirt snobs. Brilliant!"

underblueskies

quality posts: 0 Private Messages underblueskies
Re: lotsa pink

I like it alot! Except...I think the woman should be wearing a kimono. Or it should be more obvious that it is a kimono (show the obi or something.)

But yeah, I like the cherry blossoms. First shirt I noticed that really showed them well.

renovatioxii

quality posts: 0 Private Messages renovatioxii
Re: I am Ninja...requested resub

Definitely looking better, I voted for it!

cmdixon2

quality posts: 21 Private Messages cmdixon2
dankstick wrote:I came up with 11 ink colors. Yikes. Artist, resub with 6 fast!

yeah, def too many colors. leaps into the vacuum that it's taking a spot in the hotness for so long with no shot.

jasneko

cmdixon2 wrote:yeah, def too many colors. leaps into the vacuum that it's taking a spot in the hotness for so long with no shot.

I just wrote the same thing in the cyberpub. I wish woot was quicker in monitoring entries in the hotness. They are valuable places.

Digit0110

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Digit0110
Re: Chopsticks (Resub)

...Now with better presentation! A big thank-you to D1COM for the assistance!

xmmx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xmmx

I hope this shirt wins, I will buy 9.

gijose

quality posts: 5 Private Messages gijose
andersca81 wrote:This is the stinkiest business model ever.

"Lets allow the customer to decide the product. Then, after much support is given to a particular piece, let's totally not offer it because we're t-shirt snobs. Brilliant!"

That's really not how it works. At all.

NYC!

sentrymikasha

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sentrymikasha
Re: Hashi

Oh poor sushi. You carry a light but are still in the dark. You head towards your own demise. If only sushi could read, it would see, it is headed towards Wasabi and Soy Sauce and eventually my belly.

I hope that you enjoy your trip over the Hashi made of Hashi as it passes over the river of complimentry misso soup with tofu rocks.

Second entry into the derby. PLEASE comment and let me know what you think.

AlexIAm

quality posts: 4 Private Messages AlexIAm
Re: Forget Chopsticks...

Stopped reading halfway through... All the arguing over whether this is Japanese... I don't care... this is the only tee in the top 10 I'd consider buying except for Tokyo Demolition. GMV.

>insert funny quote here<

kender42

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kender42
Re: The Samurai and the Sea Dragon

Ok it finally hit me. This reminds me of Samurai Jack.

Gratzy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Gratzy

Something I didn't say in my previous wall-o-text which I meant to say but did not have time to do so is this:

I find this shirt to embrace Japanese style rather than a Japanese subject; however, the subject chosen is the kind of wacky/cooky/outlandishly ridiculous type of thing (advertising sporks?!) which is the kind of thing I think of when I think of Japan today, those oddballs out in the east who bring the fringes of culture to the forefront.

Being said, I'll go ahead and compare it to Drakxxx's design, as many people are. I personally think he is an excellent artist. But when I see his design, I don't see the kind of Japanese vibe that this one gives. I see a subject matter which may perhaps be Japanese but could just as easily be American. Japanese horror (to me) once again draws from this vibe of ridiculousness; living, frightening hair is as old as Medusa. To see what I mean by Japanese horror vibing from ridiculousness to make it more distinct see:

KILLER LAMPSHADE:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOBCMoDGGZU
KILLER PIANO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBatYO_9Yg0&feature=related

Do not misinterpret; I'm not calling his design un-Japanese. It is. With clarification. But It is not distinctly Japanese in this sense.

But perhaps I'm just peculiar in my stereotyping. But I doubt this is the case.

spilzer

quality posts: 121 Private Messages spilzer
Re: For Honor and Glory

I'm not a big frog person but the colors are super. I'm glad you managed to post despite the internet difficulties.

kender42

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kender42
Re: Hashi

Maybe a resub since there is a Hashi 101. Maybe Hashi no Hashi. If you use the Kanji it would look like 箸の橋 or I am sure you would rather see it in hirigana for the humor as はしのはし.

Tatsudoshi

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Tatsudoshi

Uh, you guys are counting WAY wrong.

There are tones in there, each of the little dots is one of the colors used in the picture. Zoom in! You'll see it immediately!

There's only 6 colors there.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Re: Forget Chopsticks...

I may be in the minority here, but I think this on theme. If the text is accurate, then the core idea for this entry is "a replacement for chopsticks". Just because there are no chopsticks in the scene doesn't make them any less important to the concept. Does it scream "Japan"? Other than the words, no, but screaming a theme has never been required, just including it in your design in one way, shape, or form. To me the issue isn't "is this character Japanese enough?" but does the subject include some aspect of Japanese culture, history, geography, etc. Since chopsticks are a widely known part of Japanese culture and that's what the shirt is about, then the theme is in there. Just one guy's opinion.

EDIT: Although, just as a rambling thought, if the theme were "America" would "A Replacement for A Fork" be considered on topic? I think I just got served by myself. I'm stepping back out of this one, have fun....

cmdixon2

quality posts: 21 Private Messages cmdixon2

Thanks everyone for your votes and comments! Much appreciated.

studio1172 wrote:I always enjoy your layouts for your designs. You always have a great eye flow and your use of space is awesome!

Do you think about that when you sit down to design? Or does it just come out and you have no idea what I am talking about?

Thanks!
I always try to keep in mind what it will look like on a shirt, but I always hold my breath at that moment before I drag it onto a shirt template.

eriatcsis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eriatcsis
Re: flying home

if you don;t make the Woot cut, you should approach ANA or JAL and sell the design to them! Very cool

eriatcsis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eriatcsis
themindofahaiku wrote:hi! I had 2 versions of this, so i figured I'd submit them both, this one has a lot more cranes and some brush strokes. comments appreciated!

I like version 1 mo betta...

bandit55

Re: Prehistoric Japan

Looks good! I like the tiger and the mech!

jasneko

@halfwheat - hehe ok! Thanks for your thoughts, and glad you like the color scheme!

shantelly77 wrote:Please let this be the week you get into the fog!!! I love your shirts and want one SO bad! Love the way this shirt turned out. GMV and good luck!

It would be really awesome. It was in the fog earlier in the derby, but it's been fluctuating between 5th and 6th for a while now - hope it can make its way back up! So glad you love the way it turned out, thank you shantelly77!

studio1172 wrote:This is classic! Very elegant. I love the hues of blue!

Thanks very much studio1172, appreciate it!

xmmx wrote:I hope this shirt wins, I will buy 9.

9 shirts! Sweet. Thanks xmmx.

imsochady

quality posts: 30 Private Messages imsochady
Tatsudoshi wrote:Uh, you guys are counting WAY wrong.

There are tones in there, each of the little dots is one of the colors used in the picture. Zoom in! You'll see it immediately!

There's only 6 colors there.

Those are mighty fine half-tones if there are any, but I guess it's for Woot to judge . Happy eating!

Altheahelaine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Altheahelaine
andersca81 wrote:This is the stinkiest business model ever.

Did you miss the part where it was almost exactly like another shirt?

I live, I learn, and so aid my end while I believe I'm winning

Altheahelaine

innuendopanda wrote:I was thinking about it, but then again, you see dogs walking around with them hanging out, and there are statues of this thing all over japan, even a few buildings shaped like him, so you never know.

Don't be silly! I know that. But woot still doesn't like it, obviously. ;P

Altheahelaine

Re: I am scary. Grrrrrr

I assume it's some sort of old type warrior but could you elaborate please?

spazzykiti

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spazzykiti

They are indeed tones. I wish I could of used 11.

I've seen lots of shirts with very fine tones that do the whole 'fading from dark to light' kind of thing that almost seems like a lovely gradient.

If the tones are too small for woot though I won't fight it.

koneco

quality posts: 16 Private Messages koneco
Re: You're NOT a Sailor!

Looks like the stuff this weeaboo girl in commercial art used to doodle.

walmazan

quality posts: 65 Private Messages walmazan
studio1172 wrote:This is an awesome slice of some awesome! I couldn't wear it though, the girl creeped me out in the movie. If I wore this shirt out and looked at my reflection, I would scream. Can't let her get me!

I know!, This guys have skills!, I really like it!