superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

montanamatt wrote:Text says: My Name is Japan

When placed vertically, Japanese text is read from top to bottom, right to left. In this case it appears vertical so it wouldn't be read the way you have it.

Also consider relating this to Japan a little more. :o)

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

innuendopanda

quality posts: 22 Private Messages innuendopanda
Re: Pagoda in the Sky [The Rising Sun]

Japan is full of stories and folk lore. I decided to use my own idea (at least, I don't think there's a story about a pagoda floating in the sky) and do some art for it. I imagine a story of a pagoda that floats in the clouds and can only be seen during certain times of the day. Is it a figure of their imagination? Or is it real? DUN DUN DUNNNN *dramatic music*

innuendopanda

Re: Pagoda in the Sky [Moonlight Version]

Japan is full of stories and folk lore. I decided to use my own idea (at least, I don't think there's a story about a pagoda floating in the sky) and do some art for it. I imagine a story of a pagoda that floats in the clouds and can only be seen during certain times of the day. Is it a figure of their imagination? Or is it real? DUN DUN DUNNNN *dramatic music*

albinoapple

quality posts: 2 Private Messages albinoapple
AdderXYU wrote:You honestly are going to argue that this isn't the same old same old?

Bias implies I am seeing things that don't exist. I am not seeing anything in Ramy's lack of effort that isn't self-evident.

I'm implying that you're paying more attention to ramy than any other comparable artist. If I recall correctly you don't care about bad shirts lower on the list cause, well, it's where they belong. Is 13th *still* not low enough for you? Or will you bash any ramy work even if it's dead last?

imsochady

quality posts: 26 Private Messages imsochady
Re: Little hands

Hahah, I remember that guy as Ultraman!

studio1172

quality posts: 0 Private Messages studio1172
amesj wrote:Growing up I had a whole series of books, Frog and Toad. Your design brings me right back to those childhood days, only in a more grown-up defending my honor and fighting back the demon hordes sort of way.

That is awesome! Glad I could take you back.

studio1172

quality posts: 0 Private Messages studio1172
jewelwing wrote:Could be. Or maybe you're not believing hard enough. Believe more! You might have to be japanese too.

Well the japanese part might be true. I can make a shirt out of a dollar. That is all the fancy paper folding I know.

raytendo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages raytendo

what's with all the left-handed samurai? no right-hand love?

picasserole

quality posts: 0 Private Messages picasserole
jasneko wrote:I <3 Maru too! Such a funny, cute cat.

I really like the fish in this picasserole, very pretty.

Thanks to u-tube, I was able to do a crash-course on Betta( never even heard of them before this derby and thanks for the comment. It looks to be tuff going up front, let's hope you get a 'nose' ahead of the competition..;p

konkonsn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages konkonsn

My two biggest problems with this entry:

The tattoo doesn't look like it's part of her body. It just looks like the snake is winding around her. If the title didn't have the word "tattoo" in it, I wouldn't get it.

Secondly, what does that snake have to do with Japan? Also, why a geisha? A yakuza would be the most likely person to have a tattoo on his or her body.

Stuff to consider for your next go-round.

chicken32678

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chicken32678

I really like the concept here! And the bow does make the connection with the Hello Kitty/Saber-tooth Tiger! The only thing I can think of that would add to the design is a more rock-like texture on the mecha to make it more obvious that it is stone. Other than that, I love it!

FMstatic100

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FMstatic100
Re: Japanese Fighting Fish

Fabulous design. I've always heard them called Japanese Fighting Fish myself...

FMstatic100

Re: For Honor and Glory

Ha! I love frogs. And while I am a fan of the red amphibians, these blue and yellow ones are wonderful enough for me to like them just as much.

FMstatic100

Re: Japan Fan

The blues are just so beautiful, it's like I can't stop staring. It's truly amazing.

mushin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mushin
Re: Forget Chopsticks...

Well, might as well add my 2c to the "Japanese-ness" discussion: I am Japanese, and frankly, apart from a passing resemblance to old-school manga (which itself was inspired from American cartoon art of the 40s/50s) I really don't find this to be on-topic. The text reads rather stilted too; what one would expect a student learning Japanese might put together (though in fairness this may well be the case, and I suppose since the intended audience isn't expected to be able to read it anyway, largely moot. Something like 「これこそ21世紀のお箸だ!!」would have been more fitting. As it is, it's like "this is a new chopstick" to which I would answer, "no it's not.")

mushin

Azzyally wrote:It translates more as 'Samurai Sea Dragon' than 'Samurai and the Sea Dragon'.

You could add the kanji for 'tai' in between the two to make it 'Samurai vs the Sea Dragon'. Can't type Japanese at work so maybe somebody else here could type it for you if you don't know.

mushin

superspryte wrote:Nonsense. I don't know of any slang that can be used in that context that is or starts with those characters. I think he forgot to change that to real language too...

It means "bear". I thought it was a hilarious non-sequitur, and one of the most genuinely Japanese elements I've seen in the derby so far (as in likely to see in actual Japanese media, as opposed to people's perception of Japan.) I'd totally take a shirt just of the guy.

mushin

rareside wrote:くま means bear. Doesn't seem to make sense here, so there must be another meaning. Too many homophones in Japanese...

No other meaning. I think the dude is running from a bear that attacked his construction site

mushin

Re: For Honor and Glory

Heh, awesome. I really like the weapons, particularly the "spear". Nice touch!

mushin

Re: She Never Sleeps

Not my tastes, but I think it's definitely one of the best designs out there. I hope it displaces one of the cancellation offerings in the fog.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
Re: Little hands

Text needs to be Japanese. This shirt is hilarious though.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

UnarmedBandit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages UnarmedBandit

The only shirt I was interested in. Anyways I think you should go with the advice herm2606 suggested. Turn that gray stuff into the shape of Japan and print it elsewhere or something of the sort.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
innuendopanda wrote:Japan is full of stories and folk lore. I decided to use my own idea (at least, I don't think there's a story about a pagoda floating in the sky) and do some art for it. I imagine a story of a pagoda that floats in the clouds and can only be seen during certain times of the day. Is it a figure of their imagination? Or is it real? DUN DUN DUNNNN *dramatic music*

There is Miyazaki's animated film Castle in the Sky. I don't know where his idea came from, but it certainly is similar to yours.

innuendopanda

Josephus wrote:There is Miyazaki's animated film Castle in the Sky. I don't know where his idea came from, but it certainly is similar to yours.

I've heard of it, but never seen it or really even read into it. From the trailers I figured it was another one of his movies based on war

shell6a

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shell6a
Re: Sakura by the cliff

Beautiful Image... Would definitely buy!!!

shell6a

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shell6a
Re: The Samurai and the Sea Dragon

This design can be summed up in one word... "Awesome"!!

walmazan

quality posts: 64 Private Messages walmazan

walmazan

quality posts: 64 Private Messages walmazan
Re: Sake Bomb

So funny!, great work!

Souten

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Souten
re: universal peace

Really nice design, but the second kanji you used is outdated, not sure if you knew that. I'm not sure what your background is in Japanese but you could tie this design in with tanabata, a Japanese festival.

Souten

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Souten
Re: Kamikaze v2.0

First off watching the films were you thinking when you designed this shirt? Seriously this is offensive and I'm surprised it hasn't been removed yet. If you have ever taken an ethnic studies class, or ever do, you will understand why this is so offensive to a Japanese-American, or any Japanese person.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
tgentry wrote:I'm viewing this as if I was overseeing this kind of contest. I would definitely put the burden on the artist's themselves. All of the information required for your entry should be in the comp. Would it be nice if the judges were perusing the thread and happened to come across something that would save your entry for rejection? Sure. Should the judges be expected to do that? I don't think so. Granted, the reason this was rejected is not correct, but I think it falls on the artist to present the images correctly, not on the judges to go beyond the comps, sorting through hundreds and hundreds of posts over the course of a derby just in case there's something that explains it. An artist could either resubmit with a clearer comp or email the judges if they think there's some question of impending rejection. Either way it should still be on the heads of the artists in this kind of situation.

I'm really not disagreeing that the artist should have made it clear from the beginning that there were halftones present that accounted for the extra colors. But, remember woot's own description of the derby: "What if I have an idea for a t-shirt, but no previous design experience?
- The Derby is calling your name." Maybe the artists should make sure the design is clear and apparent that it fits the guidelines, but they may be inexperienced in the derby and didn't realize it- there should be leeway on woot's side for something like this error in presentation. As far as woot reading every post for hundreds of designs while deciding rejections, well, but I don't think that's how they should do it. I certainly am not suggesting that they look at every post of every design and then decide on each design whether they ought to reject it. In this derby they have rejected 8 designs. One of those, this one, was rejected for what is clearly the wrong reason- there seems to be another reason to reject it, but the reason they chose is wrong. What I'm saying is that they ought to look at the thread for each design once they have made a tentative reject decision for a reason like this. Obviously, if it has "I heart JAPAN" in Bold Comic Sans, it could be rejected without them reading the thread- there is no way the artist might have a justification for English text in this derby. But they might have something like halftones that aren't obvious from their comp. I just think a bit of 'due diligence' ought to be part of the complete reject decision package, and I didn't see that here.

dave17

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dave17
Re: love unrequited

Om nom nom..I love you!

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
seakats wrote:What does the Japanese under the fish say? Maybe I'm just having a brain fart....

...sushi to go... and yeah, maybe I should have made the hand more of an outline or used just the chopsticks...

sneezycop

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sneezycop
ElanorRigby wrote:No...kabuki! ;)

Kabuki I can accept, except he has blue eyes.

striker138

quality posts: 1 Private Messages striker138
Souten wrote:First off watching the films were you thinking when you designed this shirt? Seriously this is offensive and I'm surprised it hasn't been removed yet. If you have ever taken an ethnic studies class, or ever do, you will understand why this is so offensive to a Japanese-American, or any Japanese person.

I personally don't have a problem using truth in a design. If facts offend you, please don't vote.

sittle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sittle
tgentry wrote:To be fair to woot, they have to go by the image being presented. They get hundreds of entries a week, they can't really be expected to go through each thread and make sure there isn't additional info that's not in the comp. Some kind of zoom-in in the comp would have probably solved that. Also, I think those halftones would qualify as too small, but that's just a guess.

To be fair, it doesn't take long to assess a digital file and realize how many colours are being used... I did prepress for 5 years... a design like this would take less than 5 minutes to assess.

Halftones too small... easy enough solution to solve that... very easy, most prepress software has built in tools to handle this.

Love to see the artist resubmit... It's a nice piece of work...

lindab53

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lindab53

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
tgentry wrote:I'm viewing this as if I was overseeing this kind of contest. I would definitely put the burden on the artist's themselves. All of the information required for your entry should be in the comp. Would it be nice if the judges were perusing the thread and happened to come across something that would save your entry for rejection? Sure. Should the judges be expected to do that? I don't think so. Granted, the reason this was rejected is not correct, but I think it falls on the artist to present the images correctly, not on the judges to go beyond the comps, sorting through hundreds and hundreds of posts over the course of a derby just in case there's something that explains it. An artist could either resubmit with a clearer comp or email the judges if they think there's some question of impending rejection. Either way it should still be on the heads of the artists in this kind of situation.

IT was my impression that the burden was on the artist and if there were any questions about colors or halftones or whatever they exclusively used the print ready file to determine printability. That was my understanding anyway after the late rejection for Partrickspens in the two derby because they didn't have the print ready and the new rule requiring that the print ready be submitted within a certain time. My guess is that there was a 7th color in there that isn't apparent here.

lindab53

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lindab53
Re: A Piece Of Cake.

The more I look at this, the more I like it. Would really, really love to have this shirt.

sgoman5674

quality posts: 41 Private Messages sgoman5674
Re: The Jolly Tanuki

Do you think Woot will remove the "rejected" so I can post this as my facebook profile picture?