weirddave

quality posts: 4 Private Messages weirddave
dlh2689 wrote:I would like to be able to buy one of Drakxxx's shirts, but it doesn't look like I'll ever get that chance.

Well, I don't really care about the person Drakxxx, but I wanted to purchase the sadako shirt like nobody's business. I don't consider this derby to be over until I can buy that shirt.

weirddave

quality posts: 4 Private Messages weirddave
genericsmith wrote:Well... I think it's Asia's (particularly Japan's) fault for making a cool looking symbol language.

If they would of just stuck to normal letters... They wouldn't have this problem.

So THAT's why I never see Vietnamese shirts in America.

xxchange

quality posts: 44 Private Messages xxchange

SPORKS! SPORKS! SPOOOOOOOORKS!

My Colours: 6 Black, 9 Asphalt, 7 Cranberry, 4 Royal Blue, 10 Navy, 7 Silver, 7 Grass, 2 Orange, 2 Kelly Green, 8 Brown, 1 White, 2 Lemon, 7 Baby Blue, 3 Cream, 2 Heather Gray, 5 Olive, 1 Pink, 1 Eggplant

Last 12 of 85: Little Dreams, Black and White, Fall, I'm not prickley on the inside..., Released, Nature Owl, Mirror Mirror, The Last Day, Playful Foxes Remix, My Special Day, My Special Day Tote, Circuit-ulatory System Remix

HalfWheat

quality posts: 18 Private Messages HalfWheat

I didn't like this all that much when I first saw it in the derby, but the more I see it, the more it grow on me. I like the retro look to it. I like the idea that it looks like a logo for some wacky restaurant. I don't have many red shirts, but I like the ones I have...

I'll have to sleep on this one and see what I think tomorrow.

xxchange

quality posts: 44 Private Messages xxchange

I like the idea, but I can't buy the shirt because whenever I see Japanese writing I think of comic books. And I hate comic books.

My Colours: 6 Black, 9 Asphalt, 7 Cranberry, 4 Royal Blue, 10 Navy, 7 Silver, 7 Grass, 2 Orange, 2 Kelly Green, 8 Brown, 1 White, 2 Lemon, 7 Baby Blue, 3 Cream, 2 Heather Gray, 5 Olive, 1 Pink, 1 Eggplant

Last 12 of 85: Little Dreams, Black and White, Fall, I'm not prickley on the inside..., Released, Nature Owl, Mirror Mirror, The Last Day, Playful Foxes Remix, My Special Day, My Special Day Tote, Circuit-ulatory System Remix

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

I too pine for the loss of "She Never Sleeps" but it wasn't going to happen anyway, it was too far behind to make 3rd place.

Drak has had alot of really cool designs fall just short in these derbies, but that just proves that he needs all the votes he can get to fight off the cutesy stuff that consistently wins.

He's got a really cool scarecrow design up in the Harvest derby right now, I suggest all the people bummed about that go vote for it!

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

Ansemx2

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Ansemx2
weirddave wrote:Well, I don't really care about the person Drakxxx, but I wanted to purchase the sadako shirt like nobody's business. I don't consider this derby to be over until I can buy that shirt.

I second this motion

Sadako shirt or bust!

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
genericsmith wrote:Well... I think it's Asia's (particularly Japan's) fault for making a cool looking symbol language.

If they would of just stuck to normal letters... They wouldn't have this problem.

True true... asian languages do look very cool. I started learning to write chinese characters in early high school because I liked the way they looked.... just kept copying things in my notebooks from a friend's chinese school books he'd lend me.

HalfWheat

xxchange wrote:I like the idea, but I can't buy the shirt because whenever I see Japanese writing I think of comic books. And I hate comic books.

Huh. It makes me think of food.

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
JadenKale wrote:Sorry, I'd rather use chopsticks.

I've never actually used a spork before. I use chopsticks all the time, though my preferred utensil is Steak Knife 'cause it means I'm eating STEAK.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

sonny2009

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sonny2009
bluetuba wrote:I too pine for the loss of "She Never Sleeps" but it wasn't going to happen anyway, it was too far behind to make 3rd place.

Drak has had alot of really cool designs fall just short in these derbies, but that just proves that he needs all the votes he can get to fight off the cutesy stuff that consistently wins.

He's got a really cool scarecrow design up in the Harvest derby right now, I suggest all the people bummed about that go vote for it!

I knew it was a lost cause, but I was still hoping for it anyway. And yes folks, show Drak's design in the current contest, "SCAREPERSON" some love. Sooner or later, we'll get him printed here again. Hopefully a lot more times, and sooner rather than later.

eHalcyon

Well why don't we see more Arabic shirts? They use cool symbols too. Or Greek, or Hebrew!

HalfWheat

eHalcyon wrote:Well why don't we see more Arabic shirts? They use cool symbols too. Or Greek, or Hebrew!

We've got a shirt in the current derby with Greek text.

Scratching your head? Pi.

Drakxxx

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Drakxxx

Congrats on the print guys, as I said before, it's very cute and clever. My creepy ring girl design was definitely a niche shirt, and I'm more than pleased that it did as well as it did.

severina1334

quality posts: 0 Private Messages severina1334

I was really hoping I'd be buying a shirt this round. drakxx design was by far the coolest. Creepy japanese girls crawling is possibly my favorite thing...ever. Here's to hoping drakxx wins the next one.I love the scarecrow!

Ansemx2

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Ansemx2
Drakxxx wrote:Congrats on the print guys, as I said before, it's very cute and clever. My creepy ring girl design was definitely a niche shirt, and I'm more than pleased that it did as well as it did.

And humble to boot.

Woot needs to dedicate a week of your designs for you (and us)

<3 Drakxxx

DrkRonin

quality posts: 12 Private Messages DrkRonin
Ansemx2 wrote:And humble to boot.

Woot needs to dedicate a week of your designs for you (and us)

<3 Drakxxx

can we write a petition for this???

cxlo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cxlo
Drakxxx wrote:Congrats on the print guys, as I said before, it's very cute and clever. My creepy ring girl design was definitely a niche shirt, and I'm more than pleased that it did as well as it did.

Yea definitely. I think one of the reasons Drakxxx's shirts don't make it is because a lot of the designs he makes are things I would most definitely like to hang on my walls. Such better artwork than those that do win(imo) but, most people like simple, plain, funny shirts on this site.

Don't let that discourage you man! If woot won't take you I know of sites that dig your type of thing!

Asmudeus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Asmudeus

No "She Never Sleeps"? Quite disappointing -_-.

It would have been my fourth woot.shirt in a week^^ and my third when you don't count "Listen to your Conscience" for my sister from the ongoing-sale^^.

eHalcyon wrote:Well why don't we see more Arabic shirts? They use cool symbols too. Or Greek, or Hebrew!

Arabic and Hebrew are looking cool, but there's the problem that too many people would think it's some political thing.

And for the greek alphabet, personally i don't like it (just like ours).

SeraphSix

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SeraphSix
jmmbell1987 wrote:Winner- Chopsticks. Sorry, spork.

I'm not so sure about that...

I own one of these and it clearly beats a chopstick from personal experience.

I would say: Titanium Spork > Chopsticks > Plastic Spork

DaZoneRanger

quality posts: 45 Private Messages DaZoneRanger

I don't know if I'd trust a shirt that I can't read. It's probably says, "look at me, I'm a a-hole."

eHalcyon

Asmudeus wrote:No "She Never Sleeps"? Quite disappointing.

Arabic and Hebrew are looking cool, but there's the problem that too many people would think it's some political thing.

And for the greek alphabet, personally i don't like it (just like ours).

Good point. What a sad fact though.

And I suppose Greek letters can cause mathematical nightmares...

captainbaldie

quality posts: 2 Private Messages captainbaldie

anyway of getting the ghost girl shirt? i was looking forward to it. thanks.

MannyFesto

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MannyFesto

Too bad it's a bright red.

aye512

quality posts: 2 Private Messages aye512

Showed the design to my wife... She squints at it for a few seconds, then says, "Does that say '$hit fling'???" LMAO, after she said that, I could almost see it along the bottom!!!

stevenneo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stevenneo

Definitely support a week where Woot prints Drakxxx near misses in the Derby.

I know it will sell out every single day. All the designs are just superb.

Its his design for Steamworks that was printied a while back that drew me into this amazing world of "One Tee Design Per Day" concept ^^

And sad to say, I missed the tee for Steamworks =< sad...so sad....

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
aye512 wrote:Showed the design to my wife... She squints at it for a few seconds, then says, "Does that say '$hit fling'???" LMAO, after she said that, I could almost see it along the bottom!!!

Yep, I looked back at it just as a design really quickly, and the kanji does look like that.

perhaps it's actually saying "sporks: the poo catapults of the new millennium"

spork

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spork
jmmbell1987 wrote:Winner- Chopsticks. Sorry, spork.

I think you're just biased because my name is so much cooler.

adamsw216

quality posts: 3 Private Messages adamsw216

Actually, all three forms of the Japanese writing systems (Kanji, hiragana, and katakana) are derived from Chinese writing systems.

And contrary to popular belief, Chinese and Japanese writing is not entirely symbolic. Hiragana, katakana, and a good portion of Chinese characters are comprised of purely phonetic elements.

Side note: Korean is entirely phonetic (though each character has it's own reason for representing it's corresponding sound). And Vietnamese is based on the Roman alphabet (though they used to use script based on Chinese).

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
adamsw216 wrote:Actually, all three forms of the Japanese writing systems (Kanji, hiragana, and katakana) are derived from Chinese writing systems.

And contrary to popular belief, Chinese and Japanese writing is not entirely symbolic. Hiragana, katakana, and a good portion of Chinese characters are comprised of purely phonetic elements.

Yes.
And, this shirt is not only kanji, it uses all 3 of those. So it's not correct to refer it as 'kanji', as everyone keeps doing... would be more correct to just refer to it as text.

rabbitfish

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rabbitfish

What's this all have to do with Marilyn Manson?

rabbitfish <"><

Proximus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Proximus

I don't know why but it sort of reminds me of Mr. Sparkle from the Simpsons.

Now if only somebody would make a mr sparkle t-shirt.

faughtey

quality posts: 20 Private Messages faughtey

Staff

rabbitfish wrote:What's this all have to do with Marilyn Manson?

That's where I saw it! I posted this over at woot-

O.K., call me crazy but I clicked on a ? in the write up and it took me to a Marilyn Manson video on YouTube. Looks like he has a hard core foot fetish. It was called "this is the new s***" Now I don't see the link anymore. How did that happen?

Couldn't find it over there because it was in shirt woot's write up. Someone replied-

ckeilah wrote:LOL! Of all the represented fetishes you locked in on a few shots of feet? Looks more like he has a Mercedes Benz circa 1940. Woot!

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
rabbitfish wrote:What's this all have to do with Marilyn Manson?

The shirt is about something you put in your mouth.

Marilyn Manson likes feet in his mouth.

I see a correlation. ::smiles::

I wanna say Gatz influenced the video choice XD

I don't know, I'm just picking him.

sparrow50

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sparrow50

In Japan, the metal sporks are pulled out to eat the $20 watermellon. Forget about picking up the watermellon slice, you shave slivers off it with the spork, whose concave portion collects the fruit drippings. When the food's too good for chopsticks, use a spork.

Jestik

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik

woot doesn't print enough red shirts. They also don't print enough shirts about eating utensils, so this is a double-win!

I like this. I'm not going to buy it, but I like it.

Lanicoise

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lanicoise

I like it and I bought one. In fact, this is the only shirt that I really liked out of the whole derby this time around.

Molebucks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Molebucks

If only people would understand that it's a foon, not a spork...

Spooned fork = ???LOLADJECTIVES
Forked spoon = Correct.

JohnHype

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JohnHype

I love Japan so much that I went there last New Year's, I'm going back this New Year's, I'm learning the language and I didn't end up buying a single shirt from this Derby. Democracy fails me again (2000,2004).

lindab53

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lindab53
Ansemx2 wrote:Woot should have a week where they print all of Drakxxx's near wins and then watch as almost all of them sell out.

Just a thought O Woot gods....

I like the way you think.