JesseBYAH

quality posts: 5 Private Messages JesseBYAH
bassanimation wrote:Thanks guys ^^.

Oh, the Bass is like the fish, because my last name is Bass, hurrrr. I always got made fun of for it in school, but now I embrace the fun.

Sorry for the black shirt/brown shirt. I wanted it to look very graphic, so I needed black outlines, which would have gotten lost on black. Plus, I tend to pick a color of shirt to cheat the 6 color rule. I thought I would need it for the brown on the bear, but ended up changing my mind later. Hopefully it would look ok, if by some galactic stroke of luck this made it to the fog, or HM later.

Glad you guys think the ridiculousness is fun! It was my goal :D.

Your Monster Pot got an HM from the last derby- I was really happy about that it's exciting to have a great new artist enter the derbies. I'm really enjoying yours and Walmazan's fresh new talent! Keep up the good work!

dxsmachina

quality posts: 112 Private Messages dxsmachina
Re: Floating Rock National Park

Thanks for the comments and votes... heh heh, I'm glad someone saw the dangling hiker. =D Here's a larger version of the art.

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
lucky1988 wrote:Thanks everyone! Ha, if there only was a cheese sauce geyser or waterfall, no one would leave!

hehe so true!
This is really cute lucky, love the colors and the animals are so cute. Though how'd the rabbit and bear get so fat just eating broccoli?;)

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
KingPascal wrote:Personally I like the design. I understand why it was rejected though. I've seen similar designs around the block. I am new to this site also. I must say I hope you were using sarcasm when you mentioned history seeing that this site has been around for only 2 years or so. If you weren't kidding I must tell you that is not history kitty. I have a Art History degree and understand the history and depth of images throughout time. That is what is a matter with this younger generation of kitties is that they think everything started with the internet and cell phones and have no true knowledge of the history of art and culture.

Nothing ever produced on this site has anything to do with art history. The number of designs that could even be called artistic is shockingly low, not to mention nearly every technique employed here is directly a result of the digital age since everything is produced on illustrator/photoshop/etc. But if you think that a lot hasn't happened over the course of 115 derbies you are sorely mistaken. There's a lot more information applicable to this contest than you could ever get with a art degree. Some knowledge on rejections, topicality and past designs goes a long way and is much more important than any formal art training.

New people don't know voting trends. They don't know fad trends (if frightened foods and bird profiles doesn't mean anything to you, you don't know anything about shirt woot). Most voters can't be troubled to look at a designers track record over a few months to judge originality or creativity.

I will say that most people with formal training in any sort of art or graphic design tend to have a giant leg up on the average user but it is in no way necessary.

wootasourous

quality posts: 119 Private Messages wootasourous
mrwednesday wrote:Why is this like pulling teeth? Take a picture of the entire shirt (no poor lighting please). Not just a frame of the design. The entire shirt. A large picture would be nice as well, the others are pretty low rez.

ScoobyShooter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ScoobyShooter

Somebody watched his Ken Burns. GMV

powerslaveintime

quality posts: 0 Private Messages powerslaveintime
IndependentVik wrote:You're right about all the rules you followed correctly, but just know that woot has a history of rejecting poop jokes. You probably won't fall under the rejectionator's radar unless you start getting massive amounts of votes, though.

Ah, ok. Thanks for the heads up. It was just the first place my mind went to when I thought of national parks for some strange reason. I have been a woot member for years, and have already made several purchases over at kids woot for my son, but I am new to these shirt derbies (this is the third week I have entered something) so I am still trying to get a feel for the community, but I definitely like the way the site has almost a sense of loyalty and family to the regulars (who do some amazing work).

I have been a colored pencil artist for about 18 years now, so shifting over to a digital medium without blending and gradients almost feels like I am starting all over again! I do like the challenge, though, and will continue to hang around and submit as time permits. I will try not to reference any vulgar bodily functions in my next entry, though! ;)

powerslaveintime

quality posts: 0 Private Messages powerslaveintime
Misskari wrote:Oh, good... Someone else was allowed to watch Murphy's standup as a kid! I thought I was the only one (with parents that didn't give a scaffolding).

My favorite was the farting in the bathtub bit.

lol. yeah, my parents let me watch just about anything when I was a kid, but they didn't let me show my friends, since their parents didn't approve! They did make sure to let me know what was appropriate and inappropriate so that i could appreciate vulgar humor without being a vulgar and disrespectful person, though...of course, I did forget those lessons with this entry. ;)

QuinnLynn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages QuinnLynn
Re: Bob Ross Resub - The Secret Forest

Alas, the beloved Bob Ross is no longer with us. Happy Tree Park would have been a better title. Thanks.

RedJoy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RedJoy
Re: Image.nation Park

This is amazing! Great Job.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
mrwednesday wrote:I'm really not a fan of this one. I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that no one really needs another hidden skull shirt. I'm pretty sure more skull shirts exist than any other kind of shirt. And as with other heavily half-toned designs, I just don't think this will print well. All of the distinct dots will look pretty messy inside the design.

If I haven't actually purchased, I'm usually a fan or your stuff since it tends to be fairly fresh compared to the norm but this one is a miss for me.

I'd have said this earlier, but I'm with you.

It's going to sound offensive, but when I saw this, I thought it was Seki from the thumbnail. The halftoning. The garish colors. The Shiny Shiny Glowy Shiny. And while I certainly enjoy seeing cmdixon work in the derby, and unlike who I believed it to be, I KNOW you can do better and have seen you do better, it doesn't make me like this more.

lindab53

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lindab53
Re: Oh Deer!

GMV!

lindab53

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lindab53
Re: X-treme National Park

Must have this shirt!

taninniver

quality posts: 0 Private Messages taninniver
nonfinity wrote:One of my friends just had a kid... any idea on the policies around dipping it in the river? (We're aware of the issue around heels already)

Child-dipping is available by reservation only in the designated child-dipping areas on the north bank of the river.
It is recommended you bring your own rope, net, or other dipping apparatus, and refer to the posted safety guidelines at the gates.
No lifeguard is on duty.

mrwednesday

wootasourous wrote:

It's a tough call. The half-tones don't look bad in the large photo, but as I mentioned with "Air" They are much more distinct in person than they look photographed and the close up you posted shows that fairly well. It's just not a look I like that much but some do.

What is absolutely glaring, which bald bob already mentioned, is how absolutely drastic the color change is from the comp to the shirt. It's nowhere near as subtle, there is none of the depth and the ink is about 10x too bright. Not to mention the navy in the comp isn't even close to the shirt color (which is woot's fault unless ramy uses custom colors).

Additionally, a lot of the halftone effects around the girl and especially on the drips got turned into solid swatches of color which really subtract from the design overall, which is a huge problem with ramy's designs. Woot simply cannot print them as shown.

I have to agree with Bald Bob. If that was the shirt I got compared to what I thought I was getting I'd be furious.

jasonhodgen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jasonhodgen
sneezycop wrote:What is that in his hand?

A Squid.

I love men. - Jason Hodgen

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: Lost Souls Cavern

This is absolutely gorgeous - the colors and the detailing, and until I read the comments, I would have bought this even though I wish the right side didn't go up so sharply. However, now that I've read the comments, I can't stop seeing the skull, which I wouldn't want to wear. D'oh.

Nonetheless, excellent job on the design, especially the colors and lighting.. really impressive.

jprebul

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jprebul

Bears + explosion = Awesome!

kender42

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kender42
Re: Thanks Dad. This is great!

Needs more votes! I just really like the style and would like to get one.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
lindab53 wrote:GMV!

Thanks everyone!

mrwednesday

Re: Smoky Mountains

The shirt is quite endearing but I'm not sure I'd buy it (if it was up for purchase who knows but it's a long shot now and an HM win is never guaranteed).

That said the best thing about this design for me is the shirt comp. The asphalt looks absolutely true to life which is getting rare with all of the comp effects and woot's horrible template colors. Kudos to you.

kender42

Re: Our Newest Park!

What does this have to do with National Parks? Parkway does not a National Park make.

CrescentDebris

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CrescentDebris
Re: Gummistone Park

Big thanks everyone for your comments and support! My birthday is actually this week so a print would be a total KICK ASS gift!

kender42

Re: It's Educational

Just not seeing National Park here. Cute critters doing random stuff isn't going to make it on theme. If that worked the Polar Bear hugging the barrel would still be on.

kender42

Re: Detroit Urban Renewalhttps

You think GM can't afford lawyers anymore?

ZombieGorilla

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ZombieGorilla

HA! Freaking awesome!

Something I have always found hilarious is the old school imagery of circus bears on unicycles. This to me feels like a like a play on that concept evolved by modern television extremeness.

And the way it is executed is perfect. First glance at the image made me smile before I took in the sign and the rest of it. Bear on quad with explosion in background works with or without any context.

Great work!

ZombieGorilla

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ZombieGorilla

Also, I would love to see a larger version of this, to take in the details.

alisonbonnett

quality posts: 2 Private Messages alisonbonnett
Re: Joshua Tree Sunset

I love the design, but it's not going to print well.

Ginnna

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Ginnna

I *will* buy this if it prints!!

You love this signature. It's awesome.

mybell

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mybell
Re: Oh Deer!

Oh Deer, this is great Jaden, I like the look in both the deer and the bear's eyes, great job.

orzine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages orzine
wootasourous wrote:

good lord, that looks terrible! what the hell happened? was there a color substitution or something?

orzine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages orzine
KingPascal wrote:Personally I like the design. I understand why it was rejected though. I've seen similar designs around the block. I am new to this site also. I must say I hope you were using sarcasm when you mentioned history seeing that this site has been around for only 2 years or so. If you weren't kidding I must tell you that is not history kitty. I have a Art History degree and understand the history and depth of images throughout time. That is what is a matter with this younger generation of kitties is that they think everything started with the internet and cell phones and have no true knowledge of the history of art and culture.

oh god, not this clown again. this guy is so obviously a bad joke by a regular user. just dont respond to him and his ridiculous speech habits

JesseBYAH

quality posts: 5 Private Messages JesseBYAH
imsochady wrote:Whoa! This looks really nice. Maybe you should've pulled the shirt down a tiny bit to see some of the details behind. GMV

This is really cute I love how you made the trees the only colored part, and I love the expressions on the animals. Sounds like you stayed up pretty late to finish this one, haha but it turned out great!

cesium

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cesium

No bottom text = instabuy

atshephe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages atshephe
mrwednesday wrote:Nothing ever produced on this site has anything to do with art history.

I disagree.

Sincerely,

Derby #67

;-)

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
mybell wrote:Oh Deer, this is great Jaden, I like the look in both the deer and the bear's eyes, great job.

Thanks mybell!

rowanofrin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rowanofrin

I think the only way to describe this is "RIDICULOUSLY EPIC". Love it to bits, GMV.

grimreaper74

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grimreaper74

I really like the color in this one. Gr8 job...

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
lindab53 wrote:I really like this and thought it would get lots more votes. I think it might be the lack of varied colors, but the inside of a cave is not all that colorful, so I don't know what to suggest. Maybe people are just tired of asphalt shirts?

Yeah, but I tussled with the color of the shirt for a long time. It looks real cool on purple, but woot doesn't sell purple shirts. I went with the most "cavey" color, though I'm experimenting with, don't laugh, yellow right now...