zenith1047

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zenith1047
capedcrusader514 wrote:I dont think you understand, you're still using a photo. rejectionnnnnn

i don't think you understand, those other rejections weren't due to a photo's use, they were due to the usage of the name "Rushmore"

a photo for the basis of a rejection is only valid if the photo cannot be proven to be either public domain or belonging to the person using it. in this case the poster took the photo HIMSELF--which means he is the owner of it, and will not be rejected for that.
in those other cases on this site where you see "photo" being the reason for rejection, the poster had stolen the image from someone else--be it through a google image search or an artist's site. these images were never claimed to be owned by the poster, nor had the photographer's consent to be used on this t-shirt.

Pretending to be human since 1913

zenith1047

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zenith1047

which version do you plan on making?
personally, this one is the one i'd want most:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/wootdesigncontestentries/2073766/aca8ba89-66a1-4acf-b1ba-e0885739f802.jpg
(or the faded version)

i just like the whole "looking glass" reference more than the "land of wonder"

although, i'll consider buying whichever version you do put up, so could i be added to this list of people you'll be contacting in 60 days (assuming no HM) to get this shirt?

Pretending to be human since 1913

jerroul

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jerroul
Re: Land of Wonder (Final)

This is the best version, IMO...GMV

ressamac

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ressamac
Re: Damnit

Very clever!

mikenytola

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola
chade2001 wrote:Hey! Keep doing what your doing with the gif thumbnails. I think its a very creative way in getting attention. It's not even remotely close to 'False Advertising' as people claim. Just like those M&M chocolate commercials. Whenever I open a bag, I don't see any walking and talking chocolate. People just need to be sensible when it comes to these things.

I think he/she was being sarcastic. ;)

ressamac

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ressamac
Re: Joshua Tree Sunset

@alisonbonnett Thanks for the comment. Do you think it wouldn't print well because of the halftones or because it's woot? I guess it would depend on the screens used.

@grimreaper74 Thank you!

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
jabberjaws13 wrote:i have a small issue with this one. the mountains are setup all wrong. george should look the furthest away, jefferson and lincoln should look roughly the same distance away but jefferson looking taller, and then roosevelt should be closest. it looks like you just mirrored the image and erased the faces.

not that it matters, just that i've seen the back side. i do like the concept of putting it on the back of the shirt though.

heh. I'll remember that if I ever have a chance to do anything more with it. In my picture, though, George isn't there at all. He ought to be off the shirt to the right, I think. I would have put Roosevelt's, um, best side, closer if I'd only thought of it. Ideally it would have their faces on the front of the shirt as well.

brysoncj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brysoncj
Re: X-treme National Park

All-time best shirt ever designed!!! This is the kind of thing that kings of old were after when they commissioned the great artists. Look out Sistine Chapel, you've got competition!

mathiole

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mathiole
thatrobert wrote:

• Congratulations on winning a Best Loser Award!
  • This is not SPAM.
  • Your one and only gift is this crappy little badge in your shirt thread. Enjoy.
  • Excuse me, miss? There seems to be a mistake. I believe I ordered the LARGE cappuccino.

I tought you're insulting me, but then i ready the text :p

marmls2m

quality posts: 2 Private Messages marmls2m
eHalcyon wrote:
Blue Moon is especially surprising - the photo looks exactly like the mockup, in my opinion. So while you may think the colour is "terrible", your issue is probably with the colour chosen for the design - the print actually matches the comp really well

shirt comp:
[/quote]

wootasourous' shirt:

your shirt:

can someone please explain to me why ramybs shirt looks so much better than the other posted shirt looks? did ramyb get a special print not available to other users? or did ramyb do some digital touch-ups to fix the glaring color problem?

also this:

ramyb wrote:If you didn't notice, this thread is still here and you can say anything you want on it

ramyb wrote: I couldn't remove this one because it was outside of its first 24 hours.

doesnt this imply that you would remove this submission if you could? so then why say that this thread is still here when you would remove it if you could? the only reason this thread is still here is because you cant do anything about it!

JustLikeYou

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JustLikeYou
AdderXYU wrote:
The Shiny Shiny Glowy Shiny.

Normally I am in silent agreement with you on the whole Seki Glowy Shiny "this-style-is-overplayed" thing, but have you ever been inside a cavern?

I agree the colors are a bit striking, and not "normal" for a cave, but the "shiny glowy" you refer to wasn't what popped in my mind first. I saw that and related it to that waxy and slimy look that columns and stalactites get from the dripping water. I think the "shiny" is appropriate in this one given the subject matter.

I love the shirt, but the intense colors are what throw me off and may me say "thanks but no thanks". Otherwise, CM, I love your stuff!

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
ramyb wrote:Woot says that they reserve the right to change the colors of designs as they see fit first of all (although the colors aren't much changed at all, like I said the print version is more yellowish than what the picture shows). Second, the halftones didn't get any smaller- look at the background image on the original submission- the halftones were never any smaller than that. And I don't think they look any larger between the original submission and the woot comp, and I again don't think they look any larger between what woot showed and what printed. Ultimately, when you look really really close at the shirt, it looks similar to the closeup that I posted, and when you look at it from a normal distance (for example, when standing in front of someone wearing it). I'm not sure what you are arguing here, I'm the one who posted the photos of the shirt myself because I like how it printed and think that your concerns didn't actually play out. If you feel the need to point out issues with it, that's fine, and I know you won't be able to control yourself, but with a photo up, people can decide for themselves if they like it or not, and buy/not buy accordingly.

Yes they most certainly can, but no one is going to buy that those three images are even remotely the same design. Now unless woot did an entire redesign for you, you yourself made the changes to the print ready file from the original comp. The fact that you are trying to pretend they are the same only cements how much of a bold faced liar you are. And it's all there for anyone to see and judge for themselves.

I mean really ramy, entire portions of the flames are removed between the two comps. The book is completely redesigned and the colors have all been modified not to mention the halftones are incredibly noticably larger in the second comp. Not the mention the halftones extend a full inch past the outer edge of the design. That isn't shown in either comp.

Bottom line is that the shirt you designed and everyone voted on did not print. Instead of rejecting you for being off topic they let it get through. Instead of then rejecting you for not making a printable design they allowed you to completely rework the design to attempt to address every single printing concern people mentioned. Above and beyond that modifications were made that don't improve the design at all (i.e. the massive halftone haze around the flames).

I don't know what kind of deal you've made with woot but no other designer has ever been allowed that kind of lattitude and it needs to end. I sincerely hope that your repeat rejections this week are a sign that woot is finally tired of dealing with this garbage.

mdexb2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdexb2

Ah, I understand. People who don't like the text are sympathizing with the dad and not the kid. I suspected as much, but I wasn't sure. The point of the shirt is to say that national parks are boring. Whether you agree with the message or not, that is the point, and I think it is done very well.

Salizar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Salizar
Re: Muir is my Homeboy

This is a super cool shirt

icymallard

quality posts: 4 Private Messages icymallard
Re: bear back national park

again, still digging the cartoony style.

u need to win more derbies

Josephus

ramyb wrote:Woot says that they reserve the right to change the colors of designs as they see fit first of all (although the colors aren't much changed at all, like I said the print version is more yellowish than what the picture shows). Second, the halftones didn't get any smaller- look at the background image on the original submission- the halftones were never any smaller than that. And I don't think they look any larger between the original submission and the woot comp, and I again don't think they look any larger between what woot showed and what printed. Ultimately, when you look really really close at the shirt, it looks similar to the closeup that I posted, and when you look at it from a normal distance (for example, when standing in front of someone wearing it). I'm not sure what you are arguing here, I'm the one who posted the photos of the shirt myself because I like how it printed and think that your concerns didn't actually play out. If you feel the need to point out issues with it, that's fine, and I know you won't be able to control yourself, but with a photo up, people can decide for themselves if they like it or not, and buy/not buy accordingly.

Ramy, I never had any issue with the multiple changes that you or woot made, except the halftones. They do look different, they do. All the detail of the darker color at the edge of the lower half of the woman is gone in the print file, as it is in the closeup you posted. I can see the difference in the images posted here. The appearance is that you changed it when you got ready to send in your print file, and posted that changed file for your closeup. If you want to say that was an inadvertent mistake, that you didn't realize that the change in those halftones was as visible as it is to many people who see it, fine. But don't try to say that it looks the same as the submission image, because we can see that it doesn't.

ElleBurb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ElleBurb

i drive a station wagon...I LOVE THIS

lucky1988

quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
Re: Broccoli National Park

Thanks thatrobert!

Cheers Bassanimation!

JPollock37

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JPollock37
Re: Delicate Slumber

Love me some Delicate Arch.

chronon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chronon

I absolutely love this!

nami474

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nami474

This is absolutely amazing!! I can hear the explosions and the bear's roar! I wish I could vote for it more because it NEEDS to be in the fog.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
BaldBob007 wrote:While Adder can definitely be seen regularly criticizing Ramy (often rather harshly), he is also usually seen perusing the other entries and offering genuine criticism. I've even seen positive comments! (:o

The same is true of Kyle; though, he has been becoming increasingly anti-Ramy of late.

I think what one needs to truly ask themselves is: why is being against someone bad, if you truly believe nothing they do is good?

The argument on the other side is "if you don't like it, leave it alone". Which is a horrible argument. I am sure these same people hate sports stars for not making plays, or for being too good for their precious team to beat. I am sure they make political statements that show only their bias, and not any education as to what is going on. I am sure they base plenty of opinions on plenty of high-profile people based solely on what others say. And don't, as they insist, "leave [these people] alone".

'round these parts, Ramy is high-profile, deserved or not. And there is a list miles long of things he has done and continually does wrong. His designer ethics are so shoddy you could drive trucks through the holes in them. And what people say, week in and week out, is "this is the same stuff that was wrong last week." It is like telling your senator "this is not what we voted on" every time he makes a decision that is against what his constituency desires and against what his platform insisted. And when someone is continually going back on their word, and playing fast and loose with the rules, they should be continually called out on it. There isn't a point where that becomes OK just because it's been done so much.

I don't believe that anyone who is anti-Ramy is such without having a stockpile of fair reasons why they feel he doesn't deserve his success. And I don't believe anyone who ever defends him has any reason to do so other than "be nice" or "I like his work". Why do you like it? Why do you feel he can work to lower standards than others? Why do you need two tees that look so similar? And so forth.

No one attacks Ramy blindly. If he seems singled out to you, it is because his work is the most consistently worthy of critique, dislike, question, yawning, and any other negative comment regularly made. The critiques are always the same because the designs are always the same. Which is to say, while this week's is not the same as last week, they're both full of overused imagery, both frighteningly tenuous regarding theme, and both insistently defended as not being either. And these are things that happen every week. Why shouldn't people be offended over it, when also every week, the most original pieces and styles are overlooked?

SydsKid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SydsKid
kender42 wrote:More 'Over The Hedge' and less National Park imo.

So, because there is a raccoon on it that makes it "over the hedge" ???!!! Get a grip. This is ALL about 'parks'.

Some characters on OTH are raccoon, turtle (the 2 main characters), possum, skunk, porcupine...and so that equals a grand total of 1 overlapped character from the comic strip to a jasneko shirt. You need to be sure of your facts before you make accusations, kender42.

Anyone who lives in a city and longs for the great outdoors would understand the feeling this shirt conveys in a heart-beat. It's a longing for something seemingly unreachable but just in sight. Of a longing for cleaner air and simpler days. Of solitude and peace. It definately is NOT about raiding trash cans and looking in people's windows and watching television.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU

doublepost is posted doubly

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
marmls2m wrote:

can someone please explain to me why ramybs shirt looks so much better than the other posted shirt looks? did ramyb get a special print not available to other users? or did ramyb do some digital touch-ups to fix the glaring color problem?

I hadn't seen that photo, but it looks like it was just taken with a high intensity flash. The navy color of the shirt itself is much brighter than any I've seen as well, and the tag looks like it's glowing. I'm glad you think it printed well though, and if anyone got a version that does not look like the photo I posted, I'm pretty sure they can just send an email to woot and ask for a new one and send in a photo- I got 3 of the shirt and all of them looked just like the one I posted.

marmls2m wrote:doesnt this imply that you would remove this submission if you could? so then why say that this thread is still here when you would remove it if you could? the only reason this thread is still here is because you cant do anything about it!

I would have loved to delete this one as well, but the point I was making was simply that there was no advantage in removing the other thread when I knew this one was still here and I couldn't do anything about it.

mrwednesday wrote:stuff

While I know it's difficult for you to do, try reading what I said next time before responding. I said openly that I fixed the book myself, so that's not woot's redesign. But changing colors IS something that woot reserves the right to do, and has been known to do in the past on many designs. They either don't have all pantones available, or the production team decides to change things. Either way, that's out of my hands. I get the point. You like to piss all over my thread and make a scene and call me a liar, but you need to learn that sometimes you really don't have a point and your arguing is entirely meaningless. You're acting like you "caught me in the act" or something, when I'm the one who posted photos of the shirt myself. I have nothing to hide, I've said numerous times that I'm pleased with the way that it printed, and if anyone doesn't like it, they don't have to buy it. The photo is here for all to see, and it looks just like what woot posted, which people could view before purchasing in the first place.

Josephus wrote:Ramy, I never had any issue with the multiple changes that you or woot made, except the halftones. They do look different, they do. All the detail of the darker color at the edge of the lower half of the woman is gone in the print file, as it is in the closeup you posted. I can see the difference in the images posted here. The appearance is that you changed it when you got ready to send in your print file, and posted that changed file for your closeup. If you want to say that was an inadvertent mistake, that you didn't realize that the change in those halftones was as visible as it is to many people who see it, fine. But don't try to say that it looks the same as the submission image, because we can see that it doesn't.

I was so busy arguing about the size of the halftones (which really didn't change, I promise you), but I took another look at what you mentioned and figured out the issue, which was a mistake on my part. The way that I do my entries is that I work on many layers, and then when it's time to submit my print ready (if the shirt is in contention), I merge and rearrange the layers so that they are reduced to six (one for each color)- If I use the shirt color for anything, I generally draw it on, then delete it out of my layers. In this case, I had used black over the darkest green color and under the light green, but when I went to create the print ready file, I didn't delete the black out of that area without realizing it. That's why some of the details in that area were lost, and I apologize for that.

Radscoolian

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Radscoolian
powerslaveintime wrote:wonderful design. should be higher in the ranks - much better than most above it. GMV.

Thanks! You are too generous. There are a lot of good designs this week. I'm just not up to par.

lindab53

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lindab53

Josephus

Ramy, I have to say that most of the changes you made, or woot made, are perfectly good things. The book is more visible, being larger, and the fire at the bottom is also helpfully brighter, as it your little icon of a kitty. I don't understand those nearly white swirls on top, but they don't really hurt anything.
However, the way you added those coarser halftones after the fact is troubling. They just weren't there to begin with- the submission image shows a distinct edge to the woman's shape, and a darker background behind her lower half that has become invisible since you showed your 'detail image' to Joel.

The very small halftones that I thought had made up the gradient that the woman was made from are also gone now. The printed shirt looks just exactly like the detail image woot put up with the design. Neither one looks like the original submitted design; they look cruder now, coarser with that kind of cloud that is the current halftone. This bothers me because your submitted design looks better than the design that you gave to woot to print. If you want to say that it was an inadvertent error, that you didn't realize that the image you posted as a closeup detail image in response to Joel's request for clarification of the small halftones was a newer version, then fine. But don't say that they look the same. They don't.

Josephus

zenith1047 wrote:i don't think you understand, those other rejections weren't due to a photo's use, they were due to the usage of the name "Rushmore"

a photo for the basis of a rejection is only valid if the photo cannot be proven to be either public domain or belonging to the person using it. in this case the poster took the photo HIMSELF--which means he is the owner of it, and will not be rejected for that.
in those other cases on this site where you see "photo" being the reason for rejection, the poster had stolen the image from someone else--be it through a google image search or an artist's site. these images were never claimed to be owned by the poster, nor had the photographer's consent to be used on this t-shirt.

that's right. thanks.

striker138

quality posts: 1 Private Messages striker138
JadenKale wrote:You forgot the baby blue... that makes 7

yeah, I didn't count the blue myself... I am a tard sometimes. No biggie though, I don't expect to win a derby anytime soon. Week by week improvement is all I am looking for.

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
Josephus wrote:...

Er...did you respond to my previous post again by mistake?

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
Josephus wrote:Ramy, I have to say that most of the changes you made, or woot made, are perfectly good things. The book is more visible, being larger, and the fire at the bottom is also helpfully brighter, as it your little icon of a kitty. I don't understand those nearly white swirls on top, but they don't really hurt anything.
However, the way you added those coarser halftones after the fact is troubling. They just weren't there to begin with- the submission image shows a distinct edge to the woman's shape, and a darker background behind her lower half that has become invisible since you showed your 'detail image' to Joel.

The very small halftones that I thought had made up the gradient that the woman was made from are also gone now. The printed shirt looks just exactly like the detail image woot put up with the design. Neither one looks like the original submitted design; they look cruder now, coarser with that kind of cloud that is the current halftone. This bothers me because your submitted design looks better than the design that you gave to woot to print. If you want to say that it was an inadvertent error, that you didn't realize that the image you posted as a closeup detail image in response to Joel's request for clarification of the small halftones was a newer version, then fine. But don't say that they look the same. They don't.

Exactly, ramy. In your response to me, your response to Adder and your response to Josephus you completely ignore most of the argument and address one tiny aspect in hopes that people will forget you brushed the rest under the rug.

The half-tones you submitted to woot are different from the half-tones in your comp.

They are different because you made finer half-tones for the comp and then submitted coarser half-tones to woot

That's the bottom line. You know it. I know. Anyone with eyes knows it. No other designer is allowed to skate by with that nonsense nor should they be.

You are misleading voters with deliberately inaccurate comps.

Don't bother responding if you're just going to dance around the issue. The halftones didn't get bigger on their own. I am absolutely sure you will continue to pretend nothing changed but every can see you're lying. The giant halftone border around the design is proof positive you can't pretend isn't there.

Josephus

arrgh! I can't see any posts! I know ramyb has posted something, probably a reply to my duplicating posts, since I'm not seeing anything I post!

The last post that I'm seeing is this one:
http://shirt.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=3485946&PageIndex=42&ReplyCount=1671#post3494435

which was apparently at 4:36 PM eastern time.

I'm sorry about this, after my first post, it just kicked me out to the bottom of the page, I thought. I looked, didn't see it, and thought it hadn't posted. When it happened a second time, I started trying to figure out why, and saw ramy's name listed as last post, leading to this post. I'm going to try a couple of things and see if I can get it to work again. sorry for the double post.

rlorenz89

quality posts: 14 Private Messages rlorenz89
Re: Giant Sequoia

I really like the illustration, but I don't know if I'd wear it...

jabberjaws13

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jabberjaws13
Josephus wrote:heh. I'll remember that if I ever have a chance to do anything more with it. In my picture, though, George isn't there at all. He ought to be off the shirt to the right, I think. I would have put Roosevelt's, um, best side, closer if I'd only thought of it. Ideally it would have their faces on the front of the shirt as well.

yeah, like i said i really like the concept, i just got hung up on details.

Happy Beer.

espetrell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages espetrell
Re: Image.nation Park

Wasn't there something coming out of an ink bottle in the Flora derby or something? Nice, but wouldn't wear it.

Josephus

ramyb wrote:Er...did you respond to my previous post again by mistake?

yeah- I first realized it here:
http://shirt.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=3485946&PageIndex=42&ReplyCount=1675#post3494774

The only way I can see any of these posts now is to set the page index to 43. It then shows me all of page 42. Otherwise my view stops at 3:36 PM or 4:36 Eastern.

Thanks to no1 for showing me the kludge to see the rest of the page.

KaylaJ

quality posts: 22 Private Messages KaylaJ

who's decision was it for the yellowy swirls? as i stated before, that's what would upset me the most if i voted and bought considering i think they just don't look right.

KaylaJ

quality posts: 22 Private Messages KaylaJ
jabberjaws13 wrote:
anyone he bashes, i bash him.

in the end if both sides are against each other, then no one is offering anything constructive

CrescentDebris

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CrescentDebris
Asmudeus wrote:Congrats and it would be really cool for you!

Nothing against you but, personally, im fed up with so often the sweet shirts winning the derbys . And not the more artistic ones like "Image.nation Park" and "The Last Park" or the "funny bull**it" ones (i don't know how to describe it) like "X-treme National Park" or "DEATH NATIONAL PARK". But that's just me, the people vote this way.
I hope that at least "Giant Sequoia" gets printed...

And because the people vote this way, i'm relatively sure you get your kick-ass gift :D.

I appreciate the honesty but I must say it seems pretty balanced to me. Right now there are 2 humourous and 2 artistic in the fog. I think X-treme National Park is great. Its not just stickfigures with L O L written on it. The idea is great and I think its very well done artistically. It may not be swirls or pretty halftones but it is very nice artwork. I can see if your personal taste is for non-cartoony shirts with some sort of joke on them but there are plenty of people that like the "sweet" ones and are tired of the "pretty" ones.

Shirt.woot seems more based around humor as most of their dailies are some sort of joke with a few exceptions as are their write-ups. So if there is some truth to them being more dominant then that might be why. But there are plenty of non funny shirts that win.

I like to make both. It really just depends on what the theme is. I just couldn't envision a serious National Park shirt. I'd say a lot of derbies end up with at least one of each. Take a look back through the winners. This week should be the same. I'm sure either tgentry's or cmdixon2's will print. Both are very nice shirts that have no punchline.