ScottishKilt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ScottishKilt

I want this shirt more than anything i've ever laid eyes on

The dreaded Indiana Webcam Wars have left their scar upon the earth.

CrescentDebris

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CrescentDebris
cmdixon2 wrote:I'd say you have 1st locked this week. So Congrats! And happy birthday!

Thank you! I love your design. The problem is that there are a lot of great ones this week I think. Same with a few other recent derbies where the Top 10 should have all been printed. I know it suck5 though to have over 1000 votes and still be bouncing in and out of 5th. A lot of 1st Place winners don't even have 1000.

mikenytola

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola

blah blah blah. Sorry that's the most I have for today. Too tired to debate with the ignorant. How's that for constructive criticism. That's about as useful as most of the garbage I've read. ;)

bradyson

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bradyson
Re: Oh Deer!

100th

lucky1988

quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
Re: Damnit

This is awesome Rob!

bradyson

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bradyson
Re: Broccoli National Park

Yay!!!

I love the animals' expressions.

brizday

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brizday
Re: Land of Wonder (Final)

Is use of pre-created fonts allowed? This looks like Raavie.

Livnxtreem

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Livnxtreem
Re: Campfire Tales

WANT!!! GMV! Love this shirt. I am going to buy two if it prints.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

ramyb wrote:While I know it's difficult for you to do, try reading what I said next time before responding. I said openly that I fixed the book myself, so that's not woot's redesign.

I'm curious if woot said anything about this, or the addition of the dragon body? I know in the past I've thought of redoing certain elements of my designs after letting them soak in for a few days but have been wary of woot rejecting it as not resembling the comps. I've done some very minor corrections, but the total reworking of the book and addition of the dragon's body strike me as pretty major decisions. Where this might affect things is this: you won third place by 12 votes; is it possible that 12 people might not have voted for the design because they didn't like the white lines going across the flames? There's obviously no way to know for sure, but when changing things up you're essentially taking the decision making out of the hands of the voters. I'm not trying to flame, bi-ch, or harass, I'm more interested in what boundaries woot is setting for things that will influence my own submissions so I can act accordingly. If they don't really mind reworking the design that's a plus for me (a very big plus, as I could have swapped a certain deco eagle with a nice deco penguin), but people voting on the designs might disagree. Again, I'm just trying to find out what the guidelines for this is and if they've discussed it all with you.

HalfWheat

quality posts: 18 Private Messages HalfWheat

oops. double post.

KaylaJ

quality posts: 22 Private Messages KaylaJ

just want to say congrats to the best losers winners

HalfWheat

mrwednesday wrote:The half-tones you submitted to woot are different from the half-tones in your comp.

They are different because you made finer half-tones for the comp and then submitted coarser half-tones to woot.

As a voter and purchaser, I'd like to know how many changes an artist can make to a design between what's being voted on and what actually goes to print.

And if an artist plans on making changes to a design, I'd like that to be disclosed. In some cases, a fixed design might get more votes if an error is off-putting. In other cases, the change might lose votes for the design. But if I'm voting, I want to know what I'm voting for - or not voting for.

The problem I have with the changes to this design are not necsssarily the results to the shirt. But that perhaps this shouldn't have been left up for voting and changed after, but it should have been resubmitted with the corrections.

I don't know - would other artists have resubbed to make these corrections to the book and the colors at the bottom? Are they all allowed to make design changes like this on the print file without those changes being shown during the derby?

If other artists would have resubbed to make changes like this, then the problem I have is that this design might not have printed, depending on when the new version would have emerged as a resub. In which case, the fourth place shirt would have printed. And that's not fair at all to the fourth place shirt.

If other artists would not have been allowed to make these sorts of changes, I think Woot owes the fourth place shirt an EC and a print.

dxsmachina

quality posts: 112 Private Messages dxsmachina
HalfWheat wrote:Interesting post...

You know, I considered this last week when Ramyb said that he would be submitting the print ready file to Woot a day early when it was 4 days into the derby...

I thought "OH, that's how he gets his submission up very close to first, he doesn't wait for the large photoshop file to upload to Woot's servers he just submits the thumbnail and shirt comp."

That doesn't seem very fair considering that he was able to rework/add/change parts of his cooking design without having to lose any votes by re-subbing it. Kind of surprising.

Might be good if Woot put into effect a rule that if you don't submit your print ready file with your submission that the submission doesn't get put up for voting until the print ready file is received by email.

On the other hand, easy way to get you design in first. Wink wink.

elviswind

quality posts: 1 Private Messages elviswind
AdderXYU wrote:
Anywho. For me it is the purple/gold combo more than anything. The shades just clash for me, looking more like a kings robes of state or something of that matter than light...

Packers fan? :D

lindab53

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lindab53
sarahbau wrote:I really want to buy this shirt (probably two of them), but it doesn't look like it's going to make it, simply because it was posted a bit late. It's getting way more votes per 3 hours than the top ones, but it's only gaining on them at about 150 per day at this rate. It doesn't look like it's going to make it to the fog. It will likely end up 6th. The current top ones are OK, but this one is just so much more epic.

Does an Editor's Choice only happen after the do-over derbies or can it happen anytime? Maybe if we start the chanting now..."Editor's choice, editor's choice, editor's choice...".

briancutler

quality posts: 3 Private Messages briancutler

is it just me or is the thumbnail pic remind you of something else :0

elviswind

I've been watching the episodes of the documentary, and it sort of looks like a short and stumpy giant sequoia. Not that there's anything wrong with short and stumpy . . .

HalfWheat

dxsmachina wrote:You know, I considered this last week when Ramyb said that he would be submitting the print ready file to Woot a day early when it was 4 days into the derby...

I thought "OH, that's how he gets his submission up very close to first, he doesn't wait for the large photoshop file to upload to Woot's servers he just submits the thumbnail and shirt comp."

That doesn't seem very fair considering that he was able to rework/add/change parts of his cooking design without having to lose any votes by re-subbing it. Kind of surprising.

Might be good if Woot put into effect a rule that if you don't submit your print ready file with your submission that the submission doesn't get put up for voting until the print ready file is received by email.

On the other hand, easy way to get you design in first. Wink wink.

From what I've read, some of the artists have trouble uploading the files, so they email them later, and some don't bother sending the files unless they think they have a chance of printing.

Part of the derby "game" is to get your art done as quickly as possible so it starts getting votes quickly, so it doesn't seem fair for someone to submit a design early and finish (or fix) it later when other artists are submitting the final product or resubbing to fix things.

And if Woot does allow these fixes, it should be allowed for all of the artists. I recall one artist who said she submitted a new print file with a minor problem fixed, but Woot printed the original. So how is that fair?

And why do I have a double post above this, and no edit button? I'll fix that later.

elviswind

elviswind wrote:I've been watching the episodes of the documentary, and it sort of looks like a short and stumpy giant sequoia. Not that there's anything wrong with short and stumpy . . .

And I'll add, I've never been to the groves in California, so I don't think I'll be purchasing this one. I'm not one for uncomfortable replies to questions such as, "Our Movie Genre, giant sequoia! When did you go? Wasn't it such a LIFE CHANGING EXPERIENCE??!!??"

briancutler

quality posts: 3 Private Messages briancutler

I love this shirt - a great match for what woot is all about.

elviswind

My favorite design of the constest . . . . does a bear Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966) in the woods?

Zyzzybalubah

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Zyzzybalubah

This is the most incredible Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966) in this derby...

I saw a bear on an ATV and I knew that this would be a great shirt.

I really hope everyone else likes it as much as I do!

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
bradyson wrote:100th

Sweet! Thanks Bradyson!

ack4ack

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ack4ack
Atsu wrote:It's a lot like "Wheels on the Bus..."

w/e.

I love it...I would totally wear this one...it says sleep, eat, hike, do your business...

xespera

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xespera
lindab53 wrote:Does an Editor's Choice only happen after the do-over derbies or can it happen anytime? Maybe if we start the chanting now..."Editor's choice, editor's choice, editor's choice...".

Editor's choice, editor's choice, editor's choice

shirtshark

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shirtshark
scruffypup wrote:A definite must have! Very cute... the little mountain in the corner of the shirt is the finishing touch!

I believe that's a tree whose upset about all of the smoke coming from the pipe smokin mountains

sarahbau

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sarahbau

As others, I would vote if it didn't have the text. I've always loved national parks, even when I was a kid. Without the text, people could empathize with either the kid or the dad. With the text, it appeals only to those who would empathize with the kid. I empathize with the dad, so unfortunately I wouldn't buy the shirt because of the text.

dxsmachina

quality posts: 112 Private Messages dxsmachina
HalfWheat wrote:
And why do I have a double post above this, and no edit button? I'll fix that later.

Sometimes you can only edit a post on the large community comment thread... which, for some reason, looks like it's not updating to page 44, but it's there if you type in the page number. Or click here.

bhungng

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bhungng
lindab53 wrote:Cool!

thanks!

HalfWheat

dxsmachina wrote:Sometimes you can only edit a post on the large community comment thread... which, for some reason, looks like it's not updating to page 44, but it's there if you type in the page number. Or click here.

Thanks

lucky1988

quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
bradyson wrote:Yay!!!

I love the animals' expressions.

Hi bradyson! Haven't seen you in a while, hope all is well! Love your daughter's watercolor octopus.

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
SydsKid wrote:
Anyone who lives in a city and longs for the great outdoors would understand the feeling this shirt conveys in a heart-beat. It's a longing for something seemingly unreachable but just in sight. Of a longing for cleaner air and simpler days. Of solitude and peace.

Glad the design protrayed this to you so quickly SydsKid. Thanks for speaking up and your enthusiasm for what the design was trying to convey!

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
Re: Thanks Dad. This is great!

I love the image of this shirt..but there's one thing that keeps me from voting: the depiction of just a son. This makes it a very male-centric tee, something I'd definately buy for my boyfriend, but not for myself. If there was also a girl, and the shirt said "Look kids, a tree!", it would be freakin perfect. I really like it, but not for myself.

Still tho, applause! I keep seeing this guy bobb in and out of the fog. I hope it stays there....

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: Les Mielles

It has a peaceful feeling to it and is pretty ... nice job Manvyi.

jewelwing

quality posts: 13 Private Messages jewelwing
Re: Thanks Dad. This is great!

If you decide not to vote for this because of the bottom text, well then, I say - not fair. That's only like 10% of the shirt. Not even that much really. It's just a tiny silver at the bottom. I like simple numbers tho, so lets go with that.

If that's how you feel, it means that you DO like 90% of the shirt. Isn't 90% pretty good? If I brought this home from school it'd have an A on it, and I'd think I deserved a treat. And by treat I mean vote. So gimmie.

Now that that's out of the way, it is from that point of view of the kid. I've never been a Dad, so I couldn't do that one, but I do know a lot of kids who would rather go to the amusement park than the national park. I don't think those kids are sticking their middle fingers up at nature, they're just not to the point where they appreciate it. One day they will, and then they'll look back and remember when they were younger and dumber and didn't pay attention to the things that really mattered. And they'll laugh at how silly they were, just like this shirt does.

romeosixtytwo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages romeosixtytwo
xespera wrote:Editor's choice, editor's choice, editor's choice

EDITORS CHOICE!!!

penguin2b3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages penguin2b3

Damn, I really hope this one makes it back into the fog, I like this design way more than any in the top four atm!!!

albinoapple

quality posts: 2 Private Messages albinoapple
jewelwing wrote:If you decide not to vote for this because of the bottom text, well then, I say - not fair. That's only like 10% of the shirt. Not even that much really. It's just a tiny silver at the bottom. I like simple numbers tho, so lets go with that.

If that's how you feel, it means that you DO like 90% of the shirt. Isn't 90% pretty good? If I brought this home from school it'd have an A on it, and I'd think I deserved a treat. And by treat I mean vote. So gimmie.

Have you ever liked someone a lot except for one tiny thing that bugs you so much it becomes a big thing? Why can't that apply to art and design? ;P

karatekidd32v

quality posts: 1 Private Messages karatekidd32v
Re: Damnit

I love this shirt. Defiantly GMV!!

JokerTheImmortal

quality posts: 2 Private Messages JokerTheImmortal
Re: Yodel-ay-ee-ooooo

Wow... I would have defiantly been in for two here... I mean come on Woot? you'll let things like "The Binge" and "Spicy Italian Plumber" go but not this? :< makes me sad.

In honor of this rejection I have cued up the song to listen to:

"On The Franches Mountains"
Jura Bernois Country Dance With Yodelling
The Jura Orchestra

...yes that is the Cliffhangers theme.