jewelwing

quality posts: 13 Private Messages jewelwing
albinoapple wrote:Have you ever liked someone a lot except for one tiny thing that bugs you so much it becomes a big thing? Why can't that apply to art and design? ;P

You're right, it can. That's a very interesting point you make. It's so insightful and I appreciate how it takes into consideration both art and relationships. I like you a lot. You must be very intelligent and I'll bet you're attractive too.

May I have a vote please?

MaryESP

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MaryESP
Irsic wrote:None of which cities compare to Detroit for this particular joke.

Agreed. Detroit has been the second fastest emptying city (in the US) in the last few years.

Number one is New Orleans.

In fact, I heard of a home that sold there for a hundred bucks.

lonelypond

quality posts: 416 Private Messages lonelypond

lonelypond

lonelypond

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
HalfWheat wrote:As a voter and purchaser, I'd like to know how many changes an artist can make to a design between what's being voted on and what actually goes to print.

And if an artist plans on making changes to a design, I'd like that to be disclosed. In some cases, a fixed design might get more votes if an error is off-putting. In other cases, the change might lose votes for the design. But if I'm voting, I want to know what I'm voting for - or not voting for.

The problem I have with the changes to this design are not necsssarily the results to the shirt. But that perhaps this shouldn't have been left up for voting and changed after, but it should have been resubmitted with the corrections.

I don't know - would other artists have resubbed to make these corrections to the book and the colors at the bottom? Are they all allowed to make design changes like this on the print file without those changes being shown during the derby?

If other artists would have resubbed to make changes like this, then the problem I have is that this design might not have printed, depending on when the new version would have emerged as a resub. In which case, the fourth place shirt would have printed. And that's not fair at all to the fourth place shirt.

If other artists would not have been allowed to make these sorts of changes, I think Woot owes the fourth place shirt an EC and a print.

I am pretty sure Cho's "Baha I has nets too" got printed as originally mocked despite cho fixing a detail. A much more minor one, and one that would have fixed, not altered, the design.

The definite fact, though, is that some people get to do whatever they want and not face any consequences, and others have to follow the rules to a T and even then get shafted. And it NEVER works out in favor of people who know what art is.

gatamian

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gatamian
Re: Land of Wonder (Final)

i would also like to be added to this list

lonelypond

Re: X-treme National Park

Why not -- it's a BLAST!

mishythefishy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mishythefishy
Re: Checklist of Things to See and Avoid

This is adorable. I want one.

IndependentVik

quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik
mrwednesday wrote:
The half-tones you submitted to woot are different from the half-tones in your comp.

They are different because you made finer half-tones for the comp and then submitted coarser half-tones to woot

Looking at the original comp and then the print ready file, it seems (to my layman's eye) that Mr. Wed is absolutely right here. The halftones look much finer to me on the original, to the point where I actually wondered if they were gradients instead of halftones. Is there anyone besides ramy, especially any designers, that isn't seeing the difference Wednesday is pointing out here?

That being said, I can't remember who brought up the picture of the Blue Moon shirt earlier in the thread, but there are all kinds of reasons why the shirts could've photographed differently. The quality of the optics, the shutter speed, or the strength of the flash, any of it could have a drastic effect on the end-result. Rarely do I see two pictures of the same shirt in the shirt thread where the colors match up exactly.

jmmbell1987

quality posts: 78 Private Messages jmmbell1987
lindab53 wrote:Does an Editor's Choice only happen after the do-over derbies or can it happen anytime? Maybe if we start the chanting now..."Editor's choice, editor's choice, editor's choice...".

Only after Double Take Derbies. Your chant for now should be "Honorable Mention".

jmmbell1987

quality posts: 78 Private Messages jmmbell1987
mikenytola wrote:blah blah blah. Sorry that's the most I have for today. Too tired to debate with the ignorant. How's that for constructive criticism. That's about as useful as most of the garbage I've read. ;)

C'mon now, there's been plenty of value said in this thread. Harsh, perhaps, but worthy of discussion. I don't see what can be construed as "ignorant".

coffeesplinter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages coffeesplinter
Re: Giant Sequoia Tree

haha honestly this guy makes me laugh

sarahbau

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sarahbau
jewelwing wrote:If you decide not to vote for this because of the bottom text, well then, I say - not fair. That's only like 10% of the shirt. Not even that much really. It's just a tiny silver at the bottom. I like simple numbers tho, so lets go with that.

If that's how you feel, it means that you DO like 90% of the shirt. Isn't 90% pretty good? If I brought this home from school it'd have an A on it, and I'd think I deserved a treat. And by treat I mean vote. So gimmie.

I'm not trying to say it isn't a good design, and if this were for a grade, I'd give it an A, or if it were a "this is good" vote, then I would vote for it. However, the vote is for if I would want to buy one or not, and as much as I like the design, I have to say that I would not buy it, so I can't vote for it. Similarly, I would not vote for a cool physics shirt if it said "physics is boring" or something like that on it.

I don't mean to offend you by not voting on it. It it a good design. It's just that the text makes it something I would not wear.

ethilien

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ethilien
bassanimation wrote:I doubt X-treme bear makes it to the fog, as the top designs are amazing, but maybe the honorable mentions will have me. I did look into what the cost would be to print shirts here locally if Woot doesnt partake of them, but yow...my GOD it's expensive. Even for a small run. -sigh I'm afraid I'm at the mercy of Woot..or Cameesa..or Teefury..or someone else ^^;.

Forgive this question coming out of total ignorance, but why don't you simply sell it on spreadshirt or some online producer with no upfront costs?

marmls2m

quality posts: 2 Private Messages marmls2m
tgentry wrote:I'm curious if woot said anything about this, or the addition of the dragon body? I know in the past I've thought of redoing certain elements of my designs after letting them soak in for a few days but have been wary of woot rejecting it as not resembling the comps. I've done some very minor corrections, but the total reworking of the book and addition of the dragon's body strike me as pretty major decisions. Where this might affect things is this: you won third place by 12 votes; is it possible that 12 people might not have voted for the design because they didn't like the white lines going across the flames? There's obviously no way to know for sure, but when changing things up you're essentially taking the decision making out of the hands of the voters. I'm not trying to flame, bi-ch, or harass, I'm more interested in what boundaries woot is setting for things that will influence my own submissions so I can act accordingly. If they don't really mind reworking the design that's a plus for me (a very big plus, as I could have swapped a certain deco eagle with a nice deco penguin), but people voting on the designs might disagree. Again, I'm just trying to find out what the guidelines for this is and if they've discussed it all with you.

i would be very interested to know the reply you get ont his either from ramyb or woot. can you please make the information you find public, if it is not?

prism369

quality posts: 0 Private Messages prism369
sarahbau wrote:I'm not trying to say it isn't a good design, and if this were for a grade, I'd give it an A, or if it were a "this is good" vote, then I would vote for it. However, the vote is for if I would want to buy one or not, and as much as I like the design, I have to say that I would not buy it, so I can't vote for it.

I don't mean to offend you by not voting on it. It it a good design. It's just that the text makes it something I would not wear.

Yes.

romeosixtytwo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages romeosixtytwo
jmmbell1987 wrote:Only after Double Take Derbies. Your chant for now should be "Honorable Mention".

GO HONORABLE MENTION!!

weirdpuckett

quality posts: 0 Private Messages weirdpuckett
CrescentDebris wrote:Big thanks everyone for your comments and support! My birthday is actually this week so a print would be a total KICK ASS gift!

my B-day is the 7th-Libras rule!

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
ethilien wrote:Forgive this question coming out of total ignorance, but why don't you simply sell it on spreadshirt or some online producer with no upfront costs?

Well, I did consider it, but there's a few things that make me a hesitant. One being the quality of the shirt's print. I have never gotten shirts from places like CafePress or Spreadshirt. Is the printing pretty good? I would hate to have people recieve something shoddy in the mail .

Second, outside of places like Woot, Threadless, etc, it's very hard to direct traffic to other tee sites. Seems like you'd just be lost in the crowd. What's nice about places like this is that there is a huge trafficflow.

I won't be able to do anything with the designs for a good couple of months, so it's out of my hands for now. ^^ Thanks for your suggestion though! I will definately look at options later on. :D

picasserole

quality posts: 0 Private Messages picasserole
Re: Dinner-time At Dinosauria National Park.

Thanks 47 anons, it'a a good number imo..:]

capedcrusader514

quality posts: 1 Private Messages capedcrusader514
zenith1047 wrote:i don't think you understand, those other rejections weren't due to a photo's use, they were due to the usage of the name "Rushmore"

a photo for the basis of a rejection is only valid if the photo cannot be proven to be either public domain or belonging to the person using it. in this case the poster took the photo HIMSELF--which means he is the owner of it, and will not be rejected for that.
in those other cases on this site where you see "photo" being the reason for rejection, the poster had stolen the image from someone else--be it through a google image search or an artist's site. these images were never claimed to be owned by the poster, nor had the photographer's consent to be used on this t-shirt.

apparently you is right.

lindab53

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lindab53
romeosixtytwo wrote:GO HONORABLE MENTION!!

What he said.

minion1021

quality posts: 0 Private Messages minion1021
Re: bear back national park

God this needs more votes... I WANT THIS SHIRT!! I would buy it now if possible...

SirGecko

quality posts: 1 Private Messages SirGecko
jmmbell1987 wrote:Only after Double Take Derbies. Your chant for now should be "Honorable Mention".

Honorable Mention, honorable mention, honorable mention! Go extreme bear!

lindab53

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lindab53
Josephus wrote:arrgh! I can't see any posts! I know ramyb has posted something, probably a reply to my duplicating posts, since I'm not seeing anything I post!

The last post that I'm seeing is this one:
http://shirt.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=3485946&PageIndex=42&ReplyCount=1671#post3494435

which was apparently at 4:36 PM eastern time.

I'm sorry about this, after my first post, it just kicked me out to the bottom of the page, I thought. I looked, didn't see it, and thought it hadn't posted. When it happened a second time, I started trying to figure out why, and saw ramy's name listed as last post, leading to this post. I'm going to try a couple of things and see if I can get it to work again. sorry for the double post.

I, too, am seeing problems. I post to a specific shirt's thread and when I click on post I'm automatically taken to the end of the blog where all posts are supposed to go --and it's not there. So, it's not just you. There's still something wonky going on with this site.

42Wired

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 42Wired
JokerTheImmortal wrote:Wow... I would have defiantly been in for two here... I mean come on Woot? you'll let things like "The Binge" and "Spicy Italian Plumber" go but not this?

Seconded.

Leprechaun7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Leprechaun7

I love Alice in wonder land, for that matter Lewis Carroll. I dunno if this a copyright issue or something but the mad hatter is "10/6" not 9/6. Otherwise love the shirt

Foildisc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Foildisc
Re: Smoldering Hole

ha, i dont think poop jokes are allowed.

graffd02

quality posts: 1 Private Messages graffd02
Leprechaun7 wrote:I love Alice in wonder land, for that matter Lewis Carroll. I dunno if this a copyright issue or something but the mad hatter is "10/6" not 9/6. Otherwise love the shirt

I knew that going in and switched it on purpose... I've had things rejected by woot for copyright issues... they're really picky (yes even on a 10 instead of a 9, that's A Disney copyright...)

Paradox55

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Paradox55
Re: Checklist of Things to See and Avoid

WHEN you finally get a print, I'm going to buy it no questions asked, I do so admire your tenacity.

Proxgotsthafia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Proxgotsthafia
minion1021 wrote:God this needs more votes... I WANT THIS SHIRT!! I would buy it now if possible...

Me too. I'd be more than a little sad if this doesn't make it in the derby.

icemonster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages icemonster

This is the best shirt idea in the universe.

Redta1l

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Redta1l
Re: Broccoli National Park

Finally George Bush was right.

babybling16

quality posts: 0 Private Messages babybling16

CLIMB CLIMB CLIMB CLIMB CLIMB CLIMB CLIMB CLIMB CLIMB CLIMB CLIMB CLIMB CLIMB CLIMB CLIMB CLIMB CLIMB CLIMB CLIMB CLIMB CLIMB CLIMB CLIMB CLIMB CLIMB CLIMB CLIMB CLIMB CLIMB CLIMB CLIMB CLIMB CLIMB CLIMB CLIMB CLIMB CLIMB CLIMB CLIMB CLIMB!

CletusK21

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CletusK21

This shirt reminds me of the Bear Calvary demotivational poster.

goodedesign

quality posts: 0 Private Messages goodedesign
Re: Origin of the Feces

LOL. i love it. Unfortunately, people think that sign was just put up during this election. That sign has been there for YEARS!

decades even!

but don't say anything about it... there are far too many people who think Obama is the savior of the world. When are people going to figure out that the answer to our problems doesn't come from the White House, DC or Congress!

They are the CAUSE of our problems. Not just Spend-it-All Obama. He's not the first deficit loving president. His predecessor, George W. was spending just as fast.

[url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=8016]

Redta1l

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Redta1l
Re: Ah, a BEAR!

The thumbnail piqued my curiosity, but I laughed out loud when I opened it up! Very funny. I want one even if you don't win!

nyren

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nyren
Re: Giant Sequoia

Darn, this just fell out of the fog This is the only fog/near-fog design I have any interest in, and I'd buy it in a second.

GoRobo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GoRobo
goodedesign wrote:LOL. i love it. Unfortunately, people think that sign was just put up during this election. That sign has been there for YEARS!

decades even!

but don't say anything about it... there are far too many people who think Obama is the savior of the world. When are people going to figure out that the answer to our problems doesn't come from the White House, DC or Congress!

They are the CAUSE of our problems. Not just Spend-it-All Obama. He's not the first deficit loving president. His predecessor, George W. was spending just as fast.

YES! FINALLY! Someone who understands! I was completely apolitical until 2000, and now I must say that if the world ever needs proof that the Iron Law of Oligarchy is on the right track, they simply need to look over here.

Thank you for posting, I am glad that I'm not alone!