Rosebudwilletts

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Rosebudwilletts
Re: Lost Souls Cavern

I REALLY like this design. The mystery and awe it depicts are absolutely gorgeous!

albinoapple

quality posts: 2 Private Messages albinoapple
jewelwing wrote:You're right, it can. That's a very interesting point you make. It's so insightful and I appreciate how it takes into consideration both art and relationships. I like you a lot. You must be very intelligent and I'll bet you're attractive too.

May I have a vote please?

Aww, well, since you are so sweet about it... *blush*

WAIT.

blackgoldrocks100

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blackgoldrocks100
Re: Image.nation Park

this is amazing! GMV

parrotworks

quality posts: 16 Private Messages parrotworks
Re: Muir is my Homeboy

Yosemite has a small museum visitor center exhibit dedicated to Muir. It has a souvenir shop too. Might be worth a phone call in 60 days.

http://www.goldrushcam.com/2007/Linda%20Gast/Yosemite%20Valley%20Visitor%20Center.htm

Good luck. Again, nice work.

imtheotherguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages imtheotherguy

um

kabob983

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kabob983
jewelwing wrote:You're right, it can. That's a very interesting point you make. It's so insightful and I appreciate how it takes into consideration both art and relationships. I like you a lot. You must be very intelligent and I'll bet you're attractive too.

May I have a vote please?

The fact that this shirt isn't winning is a crime. I love the older style presentation.

If I can't buy one I'll be

-Kabob

imtheotherguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages imtheotherguy

sorry for the double post at first I thought I posted in another section when I meant to post here. I would like to be notified if you put this up somewhere else also my fiancee would love this shirt.

jayker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jayker
jewelwing wrote:If you decide not to vote for this because of the bottom text, well then, I say - not fair. That's only like 10% of the shirt. Not even that much really. It's just a tiny silver at the bottom. I like simple numbers tho, so lets go with that.

If that's how you feel, it means that you DO like 90% of the shirt. Isn't 90% pretty good? If I brought this home from school it'd have an A on it, and I'd think I deserved a treat. And by treat I mean vote. So gimmie.

Not quite - while one may like 90% of the design, that errant 10% pushes the message from a more lighthearted joke to a place too far that is really down on national parks.

It seems many people who DO find national parks worthwhile places wouldn't want to wear that message. Considering how far this design has come in the derby, that number is frighteningly low in fact.

klesnick

quality posts: 1 Private Messages klesnick
Re: Campfire Tales

LOVE it! I will be buying as many as Woot allows.

And - keep it up with the animated gifs. If people say something it's because they're jealous that they didn't think of it first (or that they don't know how to do it).

OggyDoggy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages OggyDoggy
Re: Giant Sequoia

I'll be really disappointed if this shirt doesn't make it into the top three. Had high hopes of buying this shirt this week. It's been a while since I've seen anything i liked. This one has such a great design, it would be a shame if it didn't get printed.

Twistedmonkey22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Twistedmonkey22
Re: Image.nation Park

I don't understand how this didn't get more votes. Is it because it was a white shirt and there has been a lot of those recently? Is it that it was coming out of an inkwell and people resent that because of similarities to other shirts? Who knows but I'm hoping for an editors choice.

mitchellp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mitchellp
Re: X-treme National Park

Dammit... I really want this shirt, but its not going to happen. Very upset!

mikenytola

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola

Odd... I just came to see who made the top 4 and this shirt was in 5th, so I take a look at some comments on another design and come back and this one is now back in the fog. Not saying it shouldn't be, just wondering what happened.

jewelwing

quality posts: 13 Private Messages jewelwing
jayker wrote:...that errant 10% pushes the message from a more lighthearted joke to a place too far that is really down on national parks.

Seems to me that if you don't see a joke in this one of 2 things must be true.

1. You are too old to remember being a kid.
2. Your parents never took you on educational trips.

Why wouldn't this be pro-parks? Everyone knows that things a child might not enjoy at the moment can turn out to be good for them in the long run. I'm still not seeing why this is would be so horribly offensive to the park lovers. Especially since it is about something that's happening there all the time!

mikenytola

zenith1047 wrote:i don't think you understand, those other rejections weren't due to a photo's use, they were due to the usage of the name "Rushmore"

a photo for the basis of a rejection is only valid if the photo cannot be proven to be either public domain or belonging to the person using it. in this case the poster took the photo HIMSELF--which means he is the owner of it, and will not be rejected for that.
in those other cases on this site where you see "photo" being the reason for rejection, the poster had stolen the image from someone else--be it through a google image search or an artist's site. these images were never claimed to be owned by the poster, nor had the photographer's consent to be used on this t-shirt.

I also thought using traced photos wasn't allowed. I stand corrected I guess. Is there any place where woot states this so we can know for sure? This way we can just link people who think you were not allowed to do this (like me at first).

f7eleven

quality posts: 0 Private Messages f7eleven

This is one of those shirts that I will follow until it finally prints somewhere. Hopefully it will place in a double-take or find life at threadless or cameesa one day.

Please keep us updated if you put it up on another site!

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

mikenytola wrote:Odd... I just came to see who made the top 4 and this shirt was in 5th, so I take a look at some comments on another design and come back and this one is now back in the fog. Not saying it shouldn't be, just wondering what happened.

As far as I can tell it's a tight battle between 3rd, 4th, and 5th. I just got to work, although my mom, who has been watching the tallies at her office, said my entry just skyrocketed in the hotness. Something similar happened last week as well. To make it clear, I have nothing to do with it.

eharmon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eharmon

the best entries always seem to come in late!

aimalynn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aimalynn
Re: A Breath of Fresh Air

Well, I thought it was cool. maybe some other time

rachel1aaron

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rachel1aaron
Re: Autumn Mist Tours

One of the very few I voted for this derby, I love this illustration. I'd also like to see it just a bit larger on the shirt, so all the detail in the foreground can really shine. This is very much a sentimental favorite, and I would love to know if you do have it printed elsewhere.

mikenytola

tgentry wrote:As far as I can tell it's a tight battle between 3rd, 4th, and 5th. I just got to work, although my mom, who has been watching the tallies at her office, said my entry just skyrocketed in the hotness. Something similar happened last week as well. To make it clear, I have nothing to do with it.

My bad, must be tired this morning. I misread no longer accepting submissions for this derby as it was no longer accepting votes. Whoops. Mystery solved... doh!

mikenytola

jmmbell1987 wrote:C'mon now, there's been plenty of value said in this thread. Harsh, perhaps, but worthy of discussion. I don't see what can be construed as "ignorant".

Just said "most" of the garbage. There have been some solid points made. I just don't feel like pointing out the fallacy in some of the statements made. Yes, I'm being lazy.

jayker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jayker
jewelwing wrote:Seems to me that if you don't see a joke in this one of 2 things must be true.

1. You are too old to remember being a kid.
2. Your parents never took you on educational trips.

Why wouldn't this be pro-parks? Everyone knows that things a child might not enjoy at the moment can turn out to be good for them in the long run. I'm still not seeing why this is would be so horribly offensive to the park lovers. Especially since it is about something that's happening there all the time!

Of course the joke is obvious. However, if it just had the graphic, it would have been funny in a'haha,so true' or
'haha I remember that' or 'haha that was me and my kids' kind of design. The graphic is enough.

With the top dad text, it becomes more obvious that the design is saying parks are cancellation (instead of just seeing the contrast between the enthusiasm of the dad and the boredom of the kid).

With the top text AND the bottom text, the message is being forced/hammered. The shirt is definitely saying parks are boring.

Even if it has nothing to do with pro-parks/anti-parks, you could view it from a design standpoint of what is enough to get across a funny idea, to what is unnecessary - or in this case, too much. Here, less would have been way more. Something to keep in mind for future designs, as this is a good design, just overboard on the text/message.

fernandomorningstar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fernandomorningstar
Re: Redundancy National Park

this is the best shirt i have ever seen. (note the period)

DirkDDarring

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DirkDDarring
Re: dig it

Live Trace is a wonderful thing but as I have learned from past entries you can't use it to create your entry they do not allow photo conversion. Plus If you use a photo you are stealing from the photographer, (unless you took the picture) you had a great Idea but next time try drawing it instead of running a photo through a vector conversion program.

Michael Irwin
Graphic artist
www.wix.com/idforu/idforu

prism369

quality posts: 0 Private Messages prism369
Re: Lost Souls Cavern

just a single vote more and fibonacci would have been proud.

BaldBob007

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BaldBob007
Re: Yellowsnow National Park

Oh, well... I guess 52nd place isn't too bad. Thanks all for the comments and votes!!!

jewelwing

quality posts: 13 Private Messages jewelwing
thatrobert wrote:

• Congratulations on winning a Best Loser Award!
  • This is not SPAM.
  • Your one and only gift is this crappy little badge in your shirt thread. Enjoy.
  • Excuse me, miss? There seems to be a mistake. I believe I ordered the LARGE cappuccino.

Thanks! I will treasure it.

BlindShooter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BlindShooter
BlindShooter wrote:Fixed the layers (my greys were gone! gone!).

I'm pretty sure the undead have a nation with parks... or not. I'm tired.

Please comment and lemme know what you think! :D

My house was painting so I was computer-less this week.

First of all, thanks everyone for the comments and votes!

Yeah, the dog does look like Zero, I only realized that after I finished the design and showed it to a friend of mine. I really enjoy Tim Burton's style so that does influence my work.

peejd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages peejd
Re: Giant Sequoia

I love it!! I have not been following the derby this week and was very happy to see this awesome design in the top 4. . . Even happier to see that it is your design!! I hope to get one!!
-Your City Museum Buddy, Pam :o)

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
AdderXYU wrote:I am pretty sure Cho's "Baha I has nets too" got printed as originally mocked despite cho fixing a detail. A much more minor one, and one that would have fixed, not altered, the design.

The definite fact, though, is that some people get to do whatever they want and not face any consequences, and others have to follow the rules to a T and even then get shafted. And it NEVER works out in favor of people who know what art is.

The same is true for "The Sex Drugs" by leonryan. He accidentally left the layer for the cymbal on the right side of the design behind the robots arm in his comp. It was noticed almost immediately and he posted a correction which I thought and many others felt was better.

He sent the corrected file to woot but they would not print the correction, I can only assume because it was not consistent with the mock people voted on. Yet again a complete double standard for completely inexplicable reasons.

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
tgentry wrote:As far as I can tell it's a tight battle between 3rd, 4th, and 5th. I just got to work, although my mom, who has been watching the tallies at her office, said my entry just skyrocketed in the hotness. Something similar happened last week as well. To make it clear, I have nothing to do with it.

This has been happening since I can remember when the fog is hotly contested. When there are very clear winners no one bothers but when it's close there are plenty of people who hadn't voted on the fog voting for whatever fog configuration or individual designs they want to win spiking things in the hotness.

I've never seen any benefit to any particular artist that would make me think it was nonrandom (though I have seen a definite bias against shall we say lower quality artists) and it generally follows what I feel to be quality designs that deserve to print.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
DirkDDarring wrote:Live Trace is a wonderful thing but as I have learned from past entries you can't use it to create your entry they do not allow photo conversion. Plus If you use a photo you are stealing from the photographer, (unless you took the picture) you had a great Idea but next time try drawing it instead of running a photo through a vector conversion program.

uh...I DID take the photograph, as I have repeatedly said on this and the original two times I submitted it. The very first entry I made with MY OWN PHOTO, I did live trace. When I withdrew it, and resubmitted a new version, I explained that I was redrawing it by HAND because the live trace didn't turn out too well. When woot rejected the resubmission, for the TEXT, not the photo source OR my drawing job, I changed the text, changed the color of the shirt, and changed much of the color of the drawing, as well as editing it in several ways.

Basically, you are chastising me despite the fact that I did everything you want me to have done. Feel free to try online to find my photo- It's possible someone else took a similar one, because they only let you go to certain areas at Mt Rushmore, but this one I took.

capedcrusader514

quality posts: 1 Private Messages capedcrusader514
Josephus wrote:uh...I DID take the photograph, as I have repeatedly said on this and the original two times I submitted it. The very first entry I made with MY OWN PHOTO, I did live trace. When I withdrew it, and resubmitted a new version, I explained that I was redrawing it by HAND because the live trace didn't turn out too well. When woot rejected the resubmission, for the TEXT, not the photo source OR my drawing job, I changed the text, changed the color of the shirt, and changed much of the color of the drawing, as well as editing it in several ways.

Basically, you are chastising me despite the fact that I did everything you want me to have done. Feel free to try online to find my photo- It's possible someone else took a similar one, because they only let you go to certain areas at Mt Rushmore, but this one I took.

Just so you know woot doesn't always list every reason they reject for.... they only need one. Your catching flack bc it's apparent it's a livetrace whether or not you actually hand traced it or not it looks like it and people see it as a copout bc there are so many artists that work very hard to make their piece. That's not to say you didn't work hard on this, it's just livetrace's rep.

Bolthad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bolthad

Ugh, I can't believe the stuff that is winning over this! I guess that turds really do float to the top.

starboardzor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages starboardzor
Re: Dinner-time At Dinosauria National Park.

Not that is really matters at this point (or at any point), but this is pretty off topic. I might as well draw a picture of a stapler and call it "Breakfast Time at the Stapler National Park" and expect that to fly.

Aer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Aer
prism369 wrote:just a single vote more and fibonacci would have been proud.

So close! I wish this had made it.

Robiwrestler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Robiwrestler
Re: Autumn Mist Tours

A Very cool shirt, I pains me to see people under appreciate the controversial Dragon in all his glory, great work

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
Bolthad wrote:Ugh, I can't believe the stuff that is winning over this! I guess that turds really do float to the top.

Now now, the top shirts were really great! I just didn't make it on time, so the fault is on me. I appologize, I will try my best to get things up asap from here on out. I just didn't think of this guy til 3 days into the derby.

Thank you to EVERYONE who fought so hard to support this design. While I am sad that it didnt make it, I am wiser for it. I do think I'm learning the Woot crowd slowly and I hope to be able to give you more designs that you like in the future.

If Woot does not take the shirt within 60 days I will look into other venues. What I'd probably do is make some additions and refine the picture, then resubmit to another place. If I do I will be sure to note it here for you. My friends will probably kill me if this doesnt print in some fashion, so I'll dedicate myself to making it so!

Thanks so much again everyone. To the fog, you guys were impossible to beat! Not even essploding bears could take you down, hahaha! You are the Bear-inators.

ScoobyShooter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ScoobyShooter

How does Xtreme Exploding Bear loose to Gummy and Cutesy Campfire Bears. Assuming that this gets an honorable mention, I'd be curious what the final sales figures are. Who just voted and who actually bought.