KaylaJ

quality posts: 22 Private Messages KaylaJ

you may have the time to procrastinate, but i don't have time to stop and have people squint and read my shirt

anarchyvirus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anarchyvirus
colinm09 wrote:How is this not on theme? This is clearly propaganda! Propaganda is a form of communication aimed at influencing the attitude of a community toward some cause or position. The position, in this shirt, is procrastination. Thus, on topic!

Knowledge is power!

So when was procrastination a cause or a position again, btw learning to use google define != power.

lowra921

quality posts: 15 Private Messages lowra921
anarchyvirus wrote:So when was procrastination a cause or a position again, btw learning to use google define != power.

I'd say any use of available knowledge is power.

DCno10

quality posts: 376 Private Messages DCno10

(DCno10) - (faith in humanity after seeing this won) = sadface

intothemoooon

quality posts: 8 Private Messages intothemoooon

Did anyone else think "Heroes" when they saw the earth breaking apart on this shirt?

colinm09

quality posts: 70 Private Messages colinm09
anarchyvirus wrote:So when was procrastination a cause or a position again, btw learning to use google define != power.

It's a position towards work, isn't it? I got a standardized definition of propaganda so I wouldn't be attacked for my incomplete/inaccurate interpretation of the word. I don't like the shirt, I won't buy it...but I still think it technically counts.

Flame shields up!

-Matt Colin

paramecium10

quality posts: 0 Private Messages paramecium10

This is like some weak joke you'd see on a cafepress shirt or on my grandma's coffee mug. Fail.

Zennifair

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Zennifair

As someone who has a lot of black shirts, I have to say that usually grey shows up quite well on them, so I don't think it'll be too hard to see.

I like this shirt, and while I normally procrastinate horribly, I didn't this time. Mainly because if I wait, the price goes up. ^_^

~Zenn

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
colinm09 wrote:I never said I liked the shirt! I think it's pretty bad. I'm just saying it technically counts as propaganda. Of the nine shirts in the fog, this was my least favorite by far.

But it DOES NOT COUNT AS THE THEME

This week, create a t-shirt exhorting people to follow one or more of these rules, in a recognizably propagandistic style.

This is not a recognizably propagandistic [sic] style. That was a vital part of the theme. Woot are proving once again a very real bias toward the work of someone who totally disrespects the entirety of what this contest is supposed to stand for by not rejecting pieces that ARE NOT REMOTELY ON THEME.

anarchyvirus

lowra921 wrote:I'd say any use of available knowledge is power.

yeah analytical thought and thorough research is over rated just grabbing the first readily available factoid and misinterpreting it so that it fits your already befuddled understanding is truly the way to go.

colinm09

AdderXYU wrote:This is not a recognizably propagandistic [sic] style. That was a vital part of the theme. Woot are proving once again a very real bias toward the work of someone who totally disrespects the entirety of what this contest is supposed to stand for by not rejecting pieces that ARE NOT REMOTELY ON THEME.

Yeah, I'll give you that. I definitely recognize the bias. I suppose I have no real reason to defend a shirt I hate anyway...so I'll go ahead and concede.

-Matt Colin

bassanimation

quality posts: 97 Private Messages bassanimation

Someone tell the beetle he's going the wrong way!

Congrats on the win Seki! Also the minor fixes are great, I like the text this way. I also didn't notice the neat texture work in the original derby sub. "Niiiiiiiice!"

bethlehemstarr

quality posts: 19 Private Messages bethlehemstarr
jmmbell1987 wrote:If I were to try and guess the derby's theme this week based on this shirt, "Propaganda" would be guess #754, right after "Reptiles" and "Charcoal".

Ha! Now I'm trying to imagine all of the other things that filled up your list.

jmmbell1987

quality posts: 78 Private Messages jmmbell1987
colinm09 wrote:How is this not on theme? This is clearly propaganda! Propaganda is a form of communication aimed at influencing the attitude of a community toward some cause or position. The position, in this shirt, is procrastination. Thus, on topic!

Knowledge is power!

Woot also said in their write-up that they wanted designs to have a recognizable visual style that was reminiscent of propaganda as we know it. The point was to have an amusing juxtaposition of a recognizable, historical style coupled with a modern message. Hell, here's what the write-up says:

This week, create a t-shirt exhorting people to follow one or more of these rules, in a recognizably propagandistic style.

Loopy's, Dekonstruct's, and Jewelwing's designs (her check-writing Commie one more so) all did this. Unfortunately, this design is a slogan shirt.

The images on those other shirts I mentioned clearly make you think "propaganda". This image could be coupled with any number of slogans, from "I don't do Mondays" to "Our Movie Genre ROBOT DINOSAUR NUKES!"

While other designs in the fog didn't really adhere to the theme either, at least they have some visual linking to historical propaganda. Tjost's uses recognizable political imagery, for example, and "The Apathy Coalition" resembles a political group poster. This has no visual link whatsoever.

colinm09

anarchyvirus wrote:yeah analytical thought and thorough research is is over rated just grabbing the first readily available factoid and misinterpreting it so that it fits your already befuddled understanding is truly the way to go.

Lul. You make me laugh.

-Matt Colin

KingPotBingSoo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages KingPotBingSoo

mmh adder got me out of even thinking of getting this

lonelypond

quality posts: 375 Private Messages lonelypond

Sometimes procrastination is easy...

anarchyvirus

colinm09 wrote:It's a position towards work, isn't it? I got a standardized definition of propaganda so I wouldn't be attacked for my incomplete/inaccurate interpretation of the word. I don't like the shirt, I won't buy it...but I still think it technically counts.

Flame shields up!

Try researching the reason propaganda was created. By your definition, "Enjoy Coke" is also propaganda is it not? Since it is a position toward coke.

innuendopanda

quality posts: 22 Private Messages innuendopanda
xazothia wrote:I think it's a zombie.

Or maybe a robot? I can't tell

colinm09

anarchyvirus wrote:Try researching the reason propaganda was created. By your definition, "Enjoy Coke" is also propaganda is it not? Since it is a position toward coke.

...that is propaganda....

Propaganda =/= government or whatever body you seem to think propaganda comes from.

-Matt Colin

anarchyvirus

colinm09 wrote:...that is propaganda....

...that is marketing....

ftfy

colinm09

anarchyvirus wrote:...that is marketing....

ftfy

What is your definition of marketing? Is it not trying to convince someone to buy your product? Is not propaganda trying to convince someone to believe your position? Are not the two one in the same?

-Matt Colin

AdderXYU

colinm09 wrote:What is your definition of marketing? Is it not trying to convince someone to buy your product? Is not propaganda trying to convince someone to believe your position? Are not the two one in the same?

No. They're not.

That's like saying Cerulean and Periwinkle are the same color because both are shades of blue, when a quick glance proves they are still dramatically different.

sekiyoku

quality posts: 18 Private Messages sekiyoku
innuendopanda wrote:Or maybe a robot? I can't tell

It is a zombie. From my knowledge, zombies are one of the leading causes of the destruction of humanity.

Anyway, thanks SO much you guys for the support on this shirt! This new derby system is seriously nervewracking.

I've lived by this motto for as long as I can remember, and now you can too. ;)

edit: PS woot, I love the writeup. And I may not have procrastinated on submitting, but I sure procrastinated on doing it. ;p

colinm09

AdderXYU wrote:No. They're not.

That's like saying Cerulean and Periwinkle are the same color because both are shades of blue, when a quick glance proves they are still dramatically different.

Let's look at a pop culture example. The Mac vs. PC ads, let's say. One could say "Ahh, that's clever Mac marketing!" One could also say "Ahh, that's pro-Mac/anti-PC propaganda!" If there's such a fundamental difference between the two, what is it? What's the difference between marketing and propaganda? Pray tell.

-Matt Colin

Shigwarm

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Shigwarm
innuendopanda wrote:What is the little guy on the top?

Its a Zombie Vampire Robot from Outer-Space. And he wants to suck your blood/brains/batteries.

AdderXYU

colinm09 wrote:Let's look at a pop culture example. The Mac vs. PC ads, let's say. One could say "Ahh, that's clever Mac marketing!" One could also say "Ahh, that's pro-Mac/anti-PC propaganda!" If there's such a fundamental difference between the two, what is it? What's the difference between marketing and propaganda? Pray tell.

The mac vs. pc ads could, hypothetically, be considered propaganda since they try to hammer you over the head with an unsupportable position for one thing and against the other.

Enjoy Coke is just a slogan.

Past that, though, if you really can't get the difference between propaganda and marketing, you live a sheltered, or potentially scary, life.

DCno10

colinm09 wrote:Let's look at a pop culture example. The Mac vs. PC ads, let's say. One could say "Ahh, that's clever Mac marketing!" One could also say "Ahh, that's pro-Mac/anti-PC propaganda!" If there's such a fundamental difference between the two, what is it? What's the difference between marketing and propaganda? Pray tell.

to follow up Adder, marketing is advertising for a product that you have to make a personal choice whether or not to buy or consume. propaganda is a concealment of outside facts to promote a certain viewpoint about a much bigger social issue.

colinm09

AdderXYU wrote:The mac vs. pc ads could, hypothetically, be considered propaganda since they try to hammer you over the head with an unsupportable position for one thing and against the other.

Enjoy Coke is just a slogan.

Past that, though, if you really can't get the difference between propaganda and marketing, you live a sheltered, or potentially scary, life.

What's the difference between propaganda and marketing? You didn't give me an answer. You attacked me personally, which is a horrible logical fallacy. It doesn't count if you say "You don't know what the difference is? Well...you're sick if you don't know it!" That's a cop out. What's the difference?

-Matt Colin

colinm09

DCno10 wrote:to follow up Adder, marketing is advertising for a product that you have a personal choice to buy. propaganda is a concealment of outside facts to promote a certain viewpoint about something.

What if my view is Coke is better than Pepsi? I'll conceal the fact that Pepsi is good and say it stinks and praise Coke for having an amazing secret formula that two people in the world know. Besides, you have a personal choice about propaganda. Would you not say elections are full of propaganda? You have a personal choice on voting. Propaganda is meant to sway your personal choice...if you don't have a choice, you don't need propaganda! You didn't see Romans encouraging their slaves to be slaves...they had no choice!

-Matt Colin

DCno10

colinm09 wrote:What if my view is Coke is better than Pepsi? I'll conceal the fact that Pepsi is good and say it stinks and praise Coke for having an amazing secret formula that two people in the world know. Besides, you have a personal choice about propaganda. Would you not say elections are full of propaganda? You have a personal choice on voting. Propaganda is meant to sway your personal choice...if you don't have a choice, you don't need propaganda! You didn't see Romans encouraging their slaves to be slaves...they had no choice!

sorry i edited what i wrote, please read it again.

colinm09

DCno10 wrote:sorry i edited what i wrote, please read it again.

So you can't use propaganda in, say, a school election? I think a multi-national corporation is much larger in terms of social standings than the middle school down the street from my dorm. Propaganda never specifies the scope of what it's trying to convince. That seems to be a fallacy.

-Matt Colin

Switchback930

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Switchback930

Propaganda: information, ideas, or rumors deliberately spread widely to help or harm a person, group, movement, institution, nation, etc.

Marketing: the process associated with promoting for sale goods or services. It is considered a "social and managerial process by which individuals and groups obtain what they need and want through creating and exchanging products and values with others.

crazykidtexan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages crazykidtexan

Please don't procrastinate to send this to me.

I might procrastinate sending in a complaint, but then that would be thinking ahead and I don't want to do that.

enough of this...

I want it all...

hak426

quality posts: 12 Private Messages hak426

I was going to make a better design, but then I saw a woot-off.

AdderXYU

Switchback930 wrote:Propaganda: information, ideas, or rumors deliberately spread widely to help or harm a person, group, movement, institution, nation, etc.

Marketing: the process associated with promoting for sale goods or services. It is considered a "social and managerial process by which individuals and groups obtain what they need and want through creating and exchanging products and values with others.

It's also worth noting that marketing can sometimes use propaganda (if an incredibly lightweight sort), but that does not make marketing propaganda any more than the existence of Apple Pie makes Pie an Apple.

DCno10

colinm09 wrote:So you can't use propaganda in, say, a school election? I think a multi-national corporation is much larger in terms of social standings than the middle school down the street from my dorm. Propaganda never specifies the scope of what it's trying to convince. That seems to be a fallacy.

I'm not going to continue arguing this because you don't have a clue.

And yes you're going to get mad at me for saying that and say that it's an attack on you, but I bet you're one of those people that thinks the government is out to get them too.

Good luck with that.

Deltron-Zero

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Deltron-Zero

Isn't the point that this "could" have applied to the theme if it somehow was actually persuading? I don't see the phrase being persuasive, just a normal Procrastination statement.

Procrastination could have been used in propaganda, but it would have needed to have been done in a more creative way. I also envisioned more of a propaganda poster style than this is.

Is that not the basic argument AdderXYU and others?

isparabola

quality posts: 8 Private Messages isparabola

The worst part of this shirt to me, is the font.

What a boring font.

umbluemusic

quality posts: 1 Private Messages umbluemusic

So I have a term paper due tomorrow that I really haven't done enough on at all...it is 2 am, and what do I do? Decide to check all the woots. I feel like this shirt is talking to me right now, and I am kind of hoping the world will end in the next 10 hours so it won't matter if I don't finish this stupid paper.