+ Add a Comment

WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

So many Derby-winning shirts have featured our hollow-boned, beaky friends that we decided to just let them take over. The entire avian kingdom is your playground this week, from the beautiful vulture to the graceful kiwi to the delicious ostrich. If it's got feathers, it's fair game, and there's no bag limit on this hunt.

No text.

No video-game references.

You picture-making types will also want to know about the Class of 2009 Collaborashirt, which will feature 50 user-submitted "guests" at an ink-on-fabric "party" for New Year's Eve. Submit yours by next Thursday, December 17.

Lagbert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert

Since bird descended from dinosaurs are those fair game as well?

nrarmen

quality posts: 6 Private Messages nrarmen
Lagbert wrote:Since bird descended from dinosaurs are those fair game as well?

They already had a dinosaur derby...

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation

Oh man...birds are hard to draw.

Also, for a lol:

Poor little girl, but man she's funny to watch.

I have no idea what to do! Horray brainfart! I can't wait to see everyone's stuff.

sgoman5674

quality posts: 41 Private Messages sgoman5674

I sense a lot of submissions for "One flew over the cuckoo's nest" dodo birds and penguins.

striker138

quality posts: 1 Private Messages striker138
sgoman5674 wrote:I sense a lot of submissions for "One flew over the cuckoo's nest" dodo birds and penguins.

Don't forget Kiwis. There will be lots and lots of Kiwis.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

Yay! Wonder if my steampunk birdsong should make a comeback...

Lagbert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert
sgoman5674 wrote:I sense a lot of submissions for "One flew over the cuckoo's nest" dodo birds and penguins.

Oh no, not more penguins!!!

sefjwm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sefjwm

Hmm birds eh. Can't have something about birds without a cat in it. I'm thinking I'll make one with a normally flightless bird (kiwi or penguin) using a balloon powered set of wings escaping from an evil kitty hiding in a pumpkin about to pounce it. I think for placement I'll have it go up the left side of the shirt.

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

Funny, because I was just brainstorming on some designs for possible dailies last night, and for some reason I had birds in my mind... Now I'm going to think I should submit them in the derby, even if it's not necessarily the wisest choice.

I think someone at woot likes birds though;) I just realized right now that 4 of my 8 Honorable Mentions have had birds in them!:D

It's ok woot, I like birds too!

tjbeyerl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tjbeyerl
sefjwm wrote:Hmm birds eh. Can't have something about birds without a cat in it. I'm thinking I'll make one with a normally flightless bird (kiwi or penguin) using a balloon powered set of wings escaping from an evil kitty hiding in a pumpkin about to pounce it. I think for placement I'll have it go up the left side of the shirt.

Don't forget the swirlies, plz.

avhienda01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages avhienda01

I love birds, but I'm not too good at drawing them. I've done blue jays once, so I'll see what I can come up with this time around :].

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
avhienda01 wrote:I love birds, but I'm not too good at drawing them. I've done blue jays once, so I'll see what I can come up with this time around :].

Oo! I have a bank-robbing bluejay design I never finished. Time to dust that off and finish it.

jabberjaws13

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jabberjaws13
jasneko wrote:Funny, because I was just brainstorming on some designs for possible dailies last night, and for some reason I had birds in my mind... Now I'm going to think I should submit them in the derby, even if it's not necessarily the wisest choice.

I think someone at woot likes birds though;) I just realized right now that 4 of my 8 Honorable Mentions have had birds in them!:D

It's ok woot, I like birds too!

you know what i want jasneko!!!!!!!

Happy Beer.

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
jabberjaws13 wrote:you know what i want jasneko!!!!!!!

I do;) You know upon more thinking, none of the bird HMs were my of that variety of bird! Interesting. But I still love em:D

graffd02

quality posts: 1 Private Messages graffd02

Wow... flight... and now birds?

creative woot...

I feel so artistically uninspired what happened to the topics that made me go "holy scaffolding this is gonna be AWESOME!"

now all I do is log on and go... "what...AGAIN?"

I'm so sick of BIRDS

...and TREES

and swirlees

brockart

quality posts: 7 Private Messages brockart
striker138 wrote:Don't forget Kiwis. There will be lots and lots of Kiwis.

And Owls too! Lord knows the world needs more owls printed on things!

xazothia

quality posts: 54 Private Messages xazothia

Birds are some of my favorite things. I've been working on a series of ACEOs featuring birds.

I cannot wait to be amazed by the same handful of designers who do great designs every week and completely unimpressed by just about everyone else.

I've drawn so many birds I really honestly don't know what passes for even remotely creative with them... hopefully we'll get an abnormal amount of stunning artwork to make up for it. I can dream.

capedcrusader514

quality posts: 1 Private Messages capedcrusader514

Ok, normally i don't think woot likes what I do and I don't really pander to them but I have a hilarious idea (atleast in my brain) that i think woot will love and yes it involves penguins.

parrotworks

quality posts: 16 Private Messages parrotworks

I'm looking for input on changing up my Pearakeets so they qualify for a resub. Thanks.

jewelwing

quality posts: 13 Private Messages jewelwing

AWWWWW. I loves birds. I want to enter so bad but it'll have to be a really simple sketch style thing. I don't even have my computer right now.

avhienda01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages avhienda01
brockart wrote:And Owls too! Lord knows the world needs more owls printed on things!

I think I'm gonna try drawing some owls this week. I'm excited! *goes off to work*

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
graffd02 wrote:Wow... flight... and now birds?

creative woot...

I feel so artistically uninspired what happened to the topics that made me go "holy scaffolding this is gonna be AWESOME!"

I'm so sick of BIRDS

...and TREES

and swirlees

hopefully some people can really show details and creativity.

I really wish I could have one of my pieces redesigned for this, but we just don't get enough colors for me to put that up here.

TedHalpert

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TedHalpert
graffd02 wrote:Wow... flight... and now birds?

creative woot...

I'm so sick of BIRDS

...and TREES

and swirlees

Yeah, I really feel that there's been a lot of pretty uninspired themes lately. I realize it can be tough to come up with a fresh idea after you've already used your best 100, but if they're really having that much trouble, there ought to be a suggestion box. I've got some ideas that would work, and I'm sure the rest of the community does too.

jewelwing

This is a really quick sketch I did. It's called "Owl In A Jar" because I once had an owl in a jar (it was completely humane, the little guy flew into the side of my car, I saved his life etc.) and it was really cool. I loved having an owl in a jar. And yeah, there are enough owl shirts, but not jarred (did I spell that right) ones.

Any thoughts? I'm open to hearing ideas of why he's in the jar if anyone wants to help me round out the concept a little more.

EDIT: If you want to know the whole story of the owl in the jar, visit my facebook page.

sgoman5674

jewelwing wrote:This is a really quick sketch I did. It's called "Owl In A Jar" because I once had an owl in a jar (it was completely humane, the little guy flew into the side of my car, I saved his life etc.) and it was really cool. I loved having an owl in a jar. And yeah, there are enough owl shirts, but not jarred (did I spell that right) ones.

Any thoughts? I'm open to hearing ideas of why he's in the jar if anyone wants to help me round out the concept a little more.

He sort of looks forlorn.

And how are you going to enter him? You have no computer!

jewelwing

sgoman5674 wrote:He sort of looks forlorn.

And how are you going to enter him? You have no computer!

You would be too if you were in a jar.

I have A computer, just not MY computer. I can work it out.

sgoman5674

jewelwing wrote:You would be too if you were in a jar.

I have A computer, just not MY computer. I can work it out.

If I was in a jar, I wouldn't have as much space as the owl does!

dmaz

quality posts: 12 Private Messages dmaz

Pretty random that this derby applies to my shirt design for the last derby as well, probably even more-so lol.
Anyhow, this will give me a chance to get better feedback on improving it before posting
Comments? Praise? Rejection?

kbloomq1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kbloomq1

Sweet! I might actually have to enter this Derby myself.

wootvan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages wootvan

Maybe make the bottle a can of worms instead.
[/quote]

kbloomq1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kbloomq1
jewelwing wrote:This is a really quick sketch I did. It's called "Owl In A Jar" because I once had an owl in a jar (it was completely humane, the little guy flew into the side of my car, I saved his life etc.) and it was really cool. I loved having an owl in a jar. And yeah, there are enough owl shirts, but not jarred (did I spell that right) ones.

EDIT: If you want to know the whole story of the owl in the jar, visit my facebook page.

I suggest giving him markings like a barred owl and calling the design "Jarred Owl". Beautiful drawing, by the way!

xazothia

quality posts: 54 Private Messages xazothia

Sketching...

From the idea of transforming into a bird...

I also have this other design I did a few weeks ago, it would obviously need some working to end up on a shirt here:

The problem is I never know what woot is going to consider on-topic... :/ I happen to think both of these could be.

Belphoebe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Belphoebe

I also have this other design I did a few weeks ago, it would obviously need some working to end up on a shirt here:

The problem is I never know what woot is going to consider on-topic... :/ I happen to think both of these could be.[/quote]

I really love that sketch. And I would think it was on topic; it's a feather-form, but there is also a whole bird in the composition.

Leahbh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh
bassanimation wrote:Oh man...birds are hard to draw.

Also, for a lol:

Poor little girl, but man she's funny to watch.

I have no idea what to do! Horray brainfart! I can't wait to see everyone's stuff.

What happened to that bird?

dmaz

quality posts: 12 Private Messages dmaz
wootvan wrote:Maybe make the bottle a can of worms instead.

Haha yeah! Gonna try that

jabberjaws13

i love it! but i should note i am infatuated with owls. can't get enough. in fact i even bought this week's "eyes on you" from flyingmouse365 because it has two tiny owls on it that you don't notice at first. and a tent. and a lil' campfire. and it looks like a wolf. but it was because of the owls i swear. the others were a bonus. =P

Happy Beer.

jabberjaws13

life renewed was a great bird shirt of a phoenix rising from the ashes from infinityloop. (got it on teetrade!)

just thought i'd remind peeps in case they were thinking of going the phoenix route.

Happy Beer.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
Leahbh wrote: What happened to that bird?

She has a disease called Beak and Feather. They had a special about her on Animal Planet. Her name is Oscar, hahah. She's outlasted the expectations for her lifespan, so she's inspirational in a way. like Bobo and Pearl mating, but inspriation. :D

TheyKilledKenny

quality posts: 2 Private Messages TheyKilledKenny

Quick question about protocol... would it be OK to revamp the bird I drew for last weeks derby...

I know he needs some serious work... any suggestions are welcome...

Excuse Me Maam, Your Woot is Showing...