mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
Re: Predator

I agree that the wings need serious work. The right wing is either about 2-3 times longer than the left or the left wing has been chopped off at the wrist. The only other possibility is that the left wing is supposed to be curled up and the super long primaries are pointed directly downward, which is an incredibly awkward position for them to be in. It would be impossible for any bird in flight to take that position so it gives the impression that the bird is tacked onto the background.

As for the background, it looks ok but I've never been a fan of random clipart tacked in for no reason. At least draw your own backgrounds, any amateur can drag around stock vectors.

The other major issue is that there isn't enough of an outline on the bird for it to be clear what it is. I kind of like the idea of using the negative space but the gray isn't really going to contrast against the black enough to be visible and it's going to look like a random black streak on a splash of red clipart.

bethlehemstarr

quality posts: 19 Private Messages bethlehemstarr
loubriccant wrote:A so-called "artist", who is pro censorship? That's fncked up!

so-called artist? I'd say she's more than earned her stripes.
Woot often bans things for a time that become ill-used or oft-used. I think calling it censorship is ridiculously alarmist.

Misskari

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Misskari
TheyKilledKenny wrote:I completely skipped over the thumbnail before and only clicked when I saw the skull on the signature... GMV

Thanks so much for looking!

I did like the skull logo better for the thumbnail, but I felt it would misrepresent the piece as a whole, so I went with the guitarist. Seems like he's a little hard to decipher, though.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
Re: Penguins and Waffles, Together at Last

I like it...think the snow flakes/jacks are a bit confusing...but the birds don't look at all like penguins?

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

avhienda01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages avhienda01
Drakxxx wrote:I love the drawing! It almost looks as if it's carved out of wood which is incredibly cool, and very fitting.

Wow, thanks Drak! You're the second person to say that.

icymallard

quality posts: 4 Private Messages icymallard

wait u mean he didnt draw the background himself?

lindab53

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lindab53
TheyKilledKenny wrote:It's the kind of shirt that makes me think... or at least I think it is thinking... GMV

Let us know when you figure it out. :P

riffmaster18

quality posts: 5 Private Messages riffmaster18
Re: Here's a Tall Bird

so...here's a tall bird...again.

Thanks for noting the error.

This has been updated, and while I had a few minutes I added some small details.

Please revote, and feel free to repost the wonderful comments (there were two, I expect both)

Hey Artists! Post your favorite design to my wall from your Facebook page. If I use your image I always link back to you.

xazothia

quality posts: 54 Private Messages xazothia
Re: The Crane Wife

Reminds me of your yuki-onna from the Japan derby (I think that's what it was, shirtderbystats is down right now).

I like the color palette.

bethlehemstarr

quality posts: 19 Private Messages bethlehemstarr

This is a great use of side placement.

I love his knobby knees.

tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
TheyKilledKenny wrote:Cool design... GMV

Thanks Kenny

SunflowerPrincess

quality posts: 18 Private Messages SunflowerPrincess
Re: woodstock was here

cute. you don't have to SEE the bird to know it's been there.

Oops, my Tiara slipped!

riffmaster18

bethlehemstarr wrote:This is a great use of side placement.

I love his knobby knees.

thanks kindly...The flawless bird anatomy (i.e. the knobby knees) must make it pretty obvious that I'm an ornithologist.

Hey Artists! Post your favorite design to my wall from your Facebook page. If I use your image I always link back to you.

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
icymallard wrote:wait u mean he didnt draw the background himself?

I'm quite sure he will say that he did draw them, and then someone else will come in screaming that obviously they are hand drawn unless I can produce the vector pack, but no he didn't draw them. I don't really care to search for the exact vectors either since I'm sure he made sure to use an obscure one.

(And now that I have said he is going to deny it he will invariably admit to using them and state that he had meant to mention it to begin with. His post will end in a smiley face.)

isparabola

quality posts: 8 Private Messages isparabola

If the left wing wasn't so deformed this might actually be a decent shirt.

Sadly it wont matter, and I doubt you'll fix it.

Misskari

Re: A Winter Murder

Feels forced and bandwagon-jumpy. I like your other work much better. Be yourself!

truffleshuffle

quality posts: 4 Private Messages truffleshuffle
xazothia wrote:Reminds me of your yuki-onna from the Japan derby (I think that's what it was, shirtderbystats is down right now).

I like the color palette.

Yeah, that's what it was I like using the character of a mysterious girl with a concealed face. She first appeared back in the mystery derby.

lindab53

sakleehop wrote:I'm still in Christmas/holiday frame of mind so my entry reflects the hope for peace and serenity we all yearn for, especially this time of year. Thanks for looking!

This really would make a lovely Christmas shirt.

Misskari

I like that he's not bent at the knee, he's curved at the shin.

I'd wear it. Cool design.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
riffmaster18 wrote:so...here's a tall bird...again.

Thanks for noting the error.

This has been updated, and while I had a few minutes I added some small details.

Please revote, and feel free to repost the wonderful comments (there were two, I expect both)

I refuse to comment on this shirt a second time, and you cannot force me to.

lindab53

riffmaster18

Misskari wrote:Feels forced and bandwagon-jumpy. I like your other work much better. Be yourself!

haha
here's another one I just entered: http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=37977
you may like it better.

Believe it or not, they are both myself...I just don't have enough focus to produce the same style regularly. My laser-eyes santa from two derbies ago was a great example of this. So yeah, this is my problem.

katfin25

quality posts: 1 Private Messages katfin25
Re: Stupid Parrot, This is a Black-Tie Affair

I love the absurdity of this, pure awesomeness!

Do you like beer? Then check out
brewlimination.com

Do NOT EVER purchase Bella Terra Cosmetics!

riffmaster18

Misskari wrote:I like that he's not bent at the knee, he's curved at the shin.

I'd wear it. Cool design.

thanks dude

@adder: haha, nice

ardeng

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ardeng
Re: Delusions of Grandeur

I love the gleam in the bird's eye- it's so adorable.

Draug

quality posts: 69 Private Messages Draug

Oh good, no outlandish swirls or side placement! :D

I actually like this one, ramyb. But I have to agree that the structure of the left wing (the bird's right) is too straight and not well drawn. The right (bird's left) is fine because of the angle in which it's being presented but the other one could use some more slope at the top.

I'm not saying put in each secondary flight feather but maybe more of a natural arch would look better. Nonetheless, gmv.

The enemy's gate is down.
Writers are people too! (Albeit strange ones.)
Save Poe! Reckon Nevermore! Or he'll be head-locked forevermore!

KaylaJ

quality posts: 22 Private Messages KaylaJ

gotta agree with others about the background, just seems so busy and odd placed.

Draug

Re: Birding

I love this!

It would go great with my Sky Fishing by patrickspens. It's like his shirt in reverse. :D

KaylaJ

Re: Independence

looks like something i'd see on threadless

Draug

Re: A Little Something Different This Time Around

*turns head to side*

mmmm...

*turns head to other side*

maybe...

Um....is there a bird I'm not seeing? o_O

xazothia

Re: A Little Something Different This Time Around

I saw the bird immediately. It's the face/head of one, the way I'm seeing it. Don't you see the beak shape?

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Re: Flight of the Great Horned Owl (resub)

Not gonna lie, based on some of your previous work, I would never have expected depth like this from you, but it's really impressive. that said, though, As my eyes travel the line from owl to owl, they veer off toward the halftones at the side, and, well, it just looks wrong with the rest of the piece, to me. There's a lot of very impressive stuff here, but I personally find that jarring.

Draug

Re: Tori ni Nari v.2

I love the design and I'll give it my vote, xaz, but I wish it was on a different color...

KaylaJ

he'll either grow into those legs or just be a weird looking adult bird

KaylaJ

Re: Bird Brained

reminds me of the homer simpson's crayon xray with the colors

spanishmel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spanishmel
Leahbh wrote:i like it!

I love this! I will buy it for sure. Awesome.

xazothia

Draug wrote:I love the design and I'll give it my vote, xaz, but I wish it was on a different color...

Aww, no love for cranberry? Any particular reason?

I don't normally like "red" but I really do like woot's cranberry shirt color. I tried this on kelly green and royal blue as well (there's some images in the pre-derby thread), but cranberry was the crowd favorite.

Draug

Re: The Original Recycler

Lovely design and gmv.

But the halftoned orange smoke behind the bird's burning stage is bugging me a bit. :/

spanishmel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spanishmel
AZsabin wrote:Really like the design but the background needs to be lighter or something. That middle bird gets completely lost.

I love the illustration...but I wouldn't wear it. Its very well done though, excellently conceptualized characters.

Draug

Re: powered by coffee

The owl hypnotized me into giving you a vote. Lovely. :D