xazothia

quality posts: 54 Private Messages xazothia
gesangbaer wrote:Off topic comment ...

This shirt supplied me with some nostalgia. Reminded me of a character from a nintendo power comic MANY years ago, named Roam. He was a knight trapped in the world of darkness and stuck in the form of a hawk ... or an eagle.

Anyway, great shirt! Thanks for the memory!

And I just realized you were replying to my design! Haha, awesome. :P I'm glad you got to do down memory lane I'll have to look that up, it sounds pretty interesting actually.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
Re: Predator (v2!)

This is pretty cool! Very nice work Ramy. I like the designs behind the bird. I think this is really different from your recent work, you deserve some praise for that :D

kvirag1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kvirag1
Re: Independence

I need to own this shirt. <2

myazureskye

quality posts: 0 Private Messages myazureskye
Re: powered by coffee

This is awesome as a shirt design. I can really see this looking great printed!

lonelypond

quality posts: 461 Private Messages lonelypond
Re: night owl

nice

Love mysteries? Want a mix of gay + straight characters? With a bit of Poe? Try my book, darn it ; ) In The Bleak December.

LadyofRohan2995

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LadyofRohan2995
Re: The Original Recycler

Nice! GMV. I like the new blue better, too. Yay for phoenix shirts.

lonelypond

Re: Defying Nature

joyful + funny

Love mysteries? Want a mix of gay + straight characters? With a bit of Poe? Try my book, darn it ; ) In The Bleak December.

avhienda01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages avhienda01
Re: Penguins and Waffles, Together at Last

Absolutely LOVE the illustration. Probably my favorite of yours, ever. I think maybe I would like it a little more though if the design was centered. GMV nonetheless .

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 162 Private Messages DianaSprinkle
runnerfrog13 wrote:Swans are frightening when they are mad! They are always shown peaceful and floating around on a lake, but their wings are BIG and if they come at you to protect their chicks or something, they can do some damage!

They really are quite scary. I love the sleek stylish curved look of them but they have a real mean streak.

It's sort of how for all the wonder of the majestic bald eagle the fact that they eat vulture vomit always makes me laugh.

"It's not that they find the vomit lying around; rather, they seek out vultures and force them to vomit. Then they eat the regurgitate."

lonelypond

Re: The RAWKatiels

this is GREAT!

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
Re: Ask Mr. Owl

-sigh

I wish people would stop using existing intellectual properties here.

Earlysong

quality posts: 21 Private Messages Earlysong

I think it's very cool every now and then to see what you can do other than cutesy animals. Way to go!

I love this website! ^^

lonelypond

Re: Cuckoo at Heart

clever

avhienda01

I don't think I would wear this, but I just thought I'd let you know that I love the textures/patterns in the background. The colors look so crisp and sharp.

sakleehop

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sakleehop
lindab53 wrote:This really would make a lovely Christmas shirt.

Thank you for looking and your kind words.

xazothia

bassanimation wrote:-sigh

I wish people would stop using existing intellectual properties here.

They already banned video games - try emailing woot with your thoughts if you're serious about it.

There's only three existing-IP parody shirts in the reckoning right now, and only two of those are from Derbies. The fact that parodies haven't been printing since video games were banned is enough to tell me that further restrictions over such aren't really necessary.

sakleehop

Re: Appease the bird king.

Oh, come on people - why isn't this still in the fog??? Vote - you've got to vote. I'll never understand why Edgar never seems to get the credit for both amazing, creative design and unbelievable execution when he is among only a handful of artists here who continually produces both. Let's put this design back where it belongs - in the fog!!!

sakleehop

Re: Ask Mr. Owl

This may be too close to the original copyrighted property for Woot's liking. It may be a candidate for rejection.

Irrelevant

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Irrelevant
Re: Competition

not 100% i could wear it on a shirt - but it's a great little design and gmv

sakleehop

I'm curious - is this supposed to be reflective of an actual predatory bird - if so - which one? I guess I'm having difficulty distinguishing the kind of bird this is. Parts of it remind me of a raptor but then the beak and face don't really match up. Or, is this just a fictional bird - not really representative of any particular species?

zanuhdu

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zanuhdu
Re: The Birdhouse in your Soul

Love the song reference! GMV for that. =0)

avhienda01

marzipanapple wrote:It's fantastic. I love your use of line strokes and colors/negative space. Plus, I LOVE shirts that utilize the entire space given. Also, I'm a sucker for owls...

Thank you very much! This was the first design I did that used up so much space (although, I must admit, my actual comp is only 12x16, so sorry if that's a little misleading! >_<; ). And even though it was a lot of work with the cross-hatching and such, I think it's one of the most enjoyable experiences I've had with woot designs so far.

AdderXYU wrote:Not gonna lie, based on some of your previous work, I would never have expected depth like this from you, but it's really impressive. that said, though, As my eyes travel the line from owl to owl, they veer off toward the halftones at the side, and, well, it just looks wrong with the rest of the piece, to me. There's a lot of very impressive stuff here, but I personally find that jarring.

Hah, well, I don't know if I should take that as a compliment or if I should be slightly offended. Either way, I kinda chuckled when I read your comment. I don't know what kind of person you took me as with my previous designs, but I was always designing things that I liked and would have worn myself, and I know I'm never going to stop, whether I get printed or not. Still, I find it a little amusing that I surprised you with this one - gotcha! ;]

And about the halftones, you may be right, but I still think they have a really nice way of helping the sky fade out in a way that I don't think would have worked out the same way if I had cross-hatched it out as well. Hm. Thanks for your opinion, nonetheless.

alexmdc

quality posts: 8 Private Messages alexmdc
alexmdc wrote:thnk you guys!!!! you know I got all but love for everyone :D!!!

watching the films I dunno how that but got in there lol I got al love for everyone!

jmmbell1987

quality posts: 78 Private Messages jmmbell1987
bassanimation wrote:This is pretty cool! Very nice work Ramy. I like the designs behind the bird. I think this is really different from your recent work, you deserve some praise for that :D

I thought this was a Kdeuce design at first because of those. That might be considered branching out, I suppose.

jmmbell1987

sakleehop wrote:Oh, come on people - why isn't this still in the fog??? Vote - you've got to vote. I'll never understand why Edgar never seems to get the credit for both amazing, creative design and unbelievable execution when he is among only a handful of artists here who continually produces both. Let's put this design back where it belongs - in the fog!!!

It was too good to be true.

jmmbell1987

Re: Happy BIRDay!

Another quirky, colorful, splendid design. Your work is always delightful.

xazothia

sakleehop wrote:Oh, come on people - why isn't this still in the fog??? Vote - you've got to vote. I'll never understand why Edgar never seems to get the credit for both amazing, creative design and unbelievable execution when he is among only a handful of artists here who continually produces both. Let's put this design back where it belongs - in the fog!!!

One of my non-artist friends asked me why this was *in* the fog - I told him not to worry, it's Edgar and it wouldn't be there long. Sometimes I'm sad to be right.

blastfamy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blastfamy
Re: The Day The Kernals Finally Popped

Want. Excellent concept.

00soul

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 00soul
Re: Crassowary

cassowaries are my favorite type of birds
except you spelled 'cassowary' wrong there's no 'r' in it

but none the less gmv

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
00soul wrote:cassowaries are my favorite type of birds

but none the less gmv

I think it was a play on words. Based on the punk band Crass.

xazothia

00soul wrote:cassowaries are my favorite type of birds

but none the less gmv

I assumed it was a pun on the word crass

xazothia

odysseyroc wrote:I think it was a play on words. Based on the punk band Crass.

oh, it's a band too? I will have to look it up.

laurenfidler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages laurenfidler
Re: Appease the bird king.

At the risk of being yelled at for not gushing praise, I gotta say at fist glance I thought that the bird king had stolen the crown of thorns from "Jesus" who I first thought the person dangling on the right was. I think it's the dangler's positioning... not saying I don't like the shirt, just throwing my thought out there....

Polygon89

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Polygon89
sakleehop wrote:This may be too close to the original copyrighted property for Woot's liking. It may be a candidate for rejection.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.slashfood.com/media/2008/08/mr-owl-425.jpg

http://laribee.com/files/blog-images/HowManyObjectstoRepresentanEntity_7A70/image_5.png

pretty much a direct rip off of the original commercial.

xazothia

Polygon89 wrote:
pretty much a direct rip off of the original commercial.

it amazes me how many people do not know the difference between any or all of the following: an homage, a reference, a parody, a ripoff.

Lagbert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert

I really tried to up my game artistically on this entry. I've used a couple of half tones and I tried to go for photo realistic results.

cmdixon2

quality posts: 21 Private Messages cmdixon2
The lights here are softer than you'd think
The dim lit peacocks in the trees,
They're hiding their eyes and their beauty, like me
But if my eyes were on my back
I know what I'd be looking at
Through every shade of brown and green
I didn't know, I didn't know it was nothing new
I didn't know, I didn't know it was you

Oviedo by Blind Pilot

Enlargement:

xazothia

Re: Pretty Like The Boys

Yes please.

Lagbert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert

Mourning doves are silly wonderful birds. They supposedly mate for life, so I thought they were ideal for a simple love birds design.

I tried to pose them such that their bodies suggest the shape of a heart. The mosaic of hearts behind them was intended to bluntly echo the doves' heart shape while adding some visual complexity to the piece.

The mosaic was a pain to do, but I think it looks nice.

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

striker138

quality posts: 1 Private Messages striker138
Re: Learning to Fly

These little birds are getting their first lesson in how to fly... and it's not going too good.

This is another collaboration with Arparham. Any comments or suggestions are always welcomed.