kender42

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kender42
sorryduck wrote:Too negative, too dark.

Just saying it looks like he is smacking those ducks around like its cool. *slap* Down duck down. But apparently the way I said it is too dark and too negative for you.

sekiyoku

quality posts: 18 Private Messages sekiyoku
banzaaiii wrote:(and btw did you really just take a picture of yourself to show that?!?!).

seriously funny right? :D

Aberrantic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Aberrantic
bassanimation wrote:I'm amused at the anatomy pokings on this one.

Plenty of anatomy issues arise in tons of designs here and elsewhere. It's very, very difficult to draw organic creatures. While this may not be quite correct, it's still an appealing image of a bird. If I had a nickel for every anatomy mistake I see in art I'd be rich. Lord knows I fudge countless bones and muscles.

Lots of great artists I know still make anatomy mistakes. It rarely makes the design 'horrible'.

Hmm. Not so much. I am far, far, far from a professional artist, I've never taken an art course in my life, and yet I can draw a more anatomically correct bird than this junk. All it takes is a half way to decent reference picture and a little bit of patience and attention to detail. But I'm guessing the last two are not often in large supply for ramy. Sure, it's very, very difficult to actually get all bones and muscles in exactly the right place and the more someone has spent time with a particular animal, the easier it is for that person to notice the problem (I have birds. The mistakes are glaring), but just getting the general shape of the body correct is really not that hard. If you're going to try to draw something in a realistic anatomical fashion, don't half ass it like this, plzkthx.

alphadogginny

quality posts: 1 Private Messages alphadogginny
Re: Who.. me?

This is my second entry in a derby, please let me know what you think and if you have any tips for this image or for future entries in general. Thanks!

mikenytola

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola

Is anybody nitpicking Edgars design because the bird is not anatomically correct? I think Edgars is very very good btw.

This weeks design for Ramyb compared to last week is light years ahead and much better. He has also listened to peoples criticism and has been making some changes, and undeniably on theme this week, yet people still find a way to pick it apart and never be happy. haha

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
mikenytola wrote:Is anybody nitpicking Edgars design because the bird is not anatomically correct? I think Edgars is very very good btw.

This weeks design for Ramyb compared to last week is light years ahead and much better. He has also listened to peoples criticism and has been making some changes, and undeniably on theme this week, yet people still find a way to pick it apart and never be happy. haha

Edgar's anatomy is consistent throughout and his birds are in actual bird positions. ramy's isn't in a position a bird would ever be in and is not consistent right to left.

lrn2artcritickthxbai

mikenytola

kamz wrote:@runnerfrog13, @volto. @irulan, u got me thinking. Though I personally prefer the present style, now I'm having second thoughts on a resub. Here's a preview-what do you think shd I go in for it?

I like what you have currently more. Only thing I would change is scale it down a little bit. Sometimes people have the shirt more bunched up aground the waste line and I feel like that would take away from the design, which I like.

pixie0011

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pixie0011
Re: Competition

for some reason this screams "cyndi lauper" to me. strange, i know...

mikenytola

mrwednesday wrote:Edgar's anatomy is consistent throughout and his birds are in actual bird positions. ramy's isn't in a position a bird would ever be in and is not consistent right to left.

lrn2artcritickthxbai

I think your critiques of the birds anatomy are justified actually, I'm just pointing out the obvious reasons for the amount of critiques here. And Edgar's birds are quite off anatomically doesn't matter they are in a natural position when we are talking anatomy. I never argued the position did I? ;) My point is only people are nit picking in here.

lrn2notalwaysbesodfenseivandrudekthxbai

Aberrantic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Aberrantic
mrwednesday wrote:Edgar's anatomy is consistent throughout and his birds are in actual bird positions. ramy's isn't in a position a bird would ever be in and is not consistent right to left.

lrn2artcritickthxbai

Also, Edgar doesn't seem to be trying for precise anatomy, to me at least. He has a very stylized way of drawing, and that is why people don't harp on him or other artists who are clearly drawing in a certain not true to nature style, whereas ramy did appear to try to match nature here and failed.

MafiaAce

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MafiaAce

Best entry in the derby. Don't listen to the mindless fools, this is brilliant, far from generic.

pixie0011

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pixie0011
johnnykosher wrote:In my opinion the original commercial ripped off Ziggy anyway... fair game.

nice.

mikan36

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikan36
Re: The Crane's Return

Edited 'The Crane's Return of Favor' Entry from the Japan Derby (http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=35341) for this derby. Hopefully I made enough changes not to get rejected. Here are the changes I made:

+ Shirt Color
+ Filled in crane
+ Added more white strokes to the crane
+ Erased dots around the crane
+ Changed the two main colors
+ Scaled it and edited the end behind the crane

The story behind the shirt can be found on the link, but I'll re-post it here:

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
Description:
The design is based off of the famous Japanese folklore, 鶴の恩返し (tsuru no ongaeshi - The Crane's Return of Favor).

There was an elderly couple living in a town. One winter day, when the husband was walking home through the snow, he spotted a crane stuck in a trap. Feeling sorry for it, he let it free. Late that night, a beautiful young girl came knocking at the couple's door. She claimed to have gotten lost and asked to stay for a night, so they let her in.

The stormy snowy days continued, and the young girl took care of the elders and made them happy. Then one day, she asked the husband if she could have some thread to weave some cloth, so he bought some for her. When she was about to begin her weaving, she told them, "Please, never open the door to my working room." After she finished weaving the cloth, she told the husband to go to the city and sell it there. The husband obliged. The cloth was a huge hit due to its immense beauty, and the elderly couple became very wealthy. However, the mystery behind the girl's weaving bugged them until one day, the elderly man opened the door to her room while she was weaving.

Instead of the girl, he saw a withered crane using its own feathers to weave the beautiful fabric. The girl explained that she was the crane that had been saved one winter day by the elderly man. The couple begged her to stay but the saddened girl turned back into a crane and flew away into the sky.

-Translated the story from the Japanese Wikipedia page.

This is why the crane in my design is crying.. it is sad to have to leave the people she cared about. :'( It's hard to see in general, but hopefully the detailed views will help that :x
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Detailed View (Click for Larger):

mikan36

Re: Pretty Like The Boys

This is very clever! I like the vibrant colors on white, and I don't have enough white T-Shirts. GMV

mrwednesday

Aberrantic wrote:Also, Edgar doesn't seem to be trying for precise anatomy, to me at least. He has a very stylized way of drawing, and that is why people don't harp on him or other artists who are clearly drawing in a certain not true to nature style, whereas ramy did appear to try to match nature here and failed.

Exactly. I will say again, ramy doesn't get more criticism because people dislike him. He gets more criticism because he consistently submits flawed and unfinished work.

Correlation does not imply causation.

mikan36

Re: Bird Watchers REVERSED

Ahaha, this is so cute! I love it - the colors are perfect for that wintery feel. Reminds me of kids wiping off the the window to see the snow outside and get excited to go play. lol

phantom09

quality posts: 1 Private Messages phantom09
mrwednesday wrote:

Correlation does not imply causation.

Yay statistics!

mikenytola

Aberrantic wrote:Also, Edgar doesn't seem to be trying for precise anatomy, to me at least. He has a very stylized way of drawing, and that is why people don't harp on him or other artists who are clearly drawing in a certain not true to nature style, whereas ramy did appear to try to match nature here and failed.

Then how come nobody has mentioned the bottom half of the bird and is fixated on the wings which are not that bad (yet anatomically incorrect)? You say Edgar has a style, so does Ramyb, love it or hate it he is being stylized as well.

It's nitpicking when he has put more effort into this one than others by a landslide (imo), at least give the kid some credit where credit is due. He's starting to listen to people's criticisms and more open to changing some things. I'm not disagreeing that the bird's anatomy is incorrect, I agree with it but it's just not that big a deal beacuse this is not trying to be photo realistic and it's not grossly off. At least some people are being less insulting and more critiquing, so I guess that's giving him some credit. I think some of the regular haters (ex. Mr Wed) are actually being pretty good and constructive in here for a change. (It's a compliment, don't get defensive) Hell, he even used a photo example that was pretty damn funny and gave me a laugh.

mikan36

gesangbaer wrote:Apparently I've got no clue on how to submit links.

http://www.flyingomelette.com/oddities/sab/roam.jpg

Hey! That looks like a Tezuka Osamu-influenced manga style~. It reminds me of a particular character from Cyborg 009. I know it's not, but the style is nearly exact. Pretty cool-

Interesting because I was thinking this shirt reminded me of GATCHAMANNNN! lol I know it's different, but the bird head just reminded me of it. Ahh, the good old days...

/On topic: (sorry for going off topic!) I usually don't like people on shirts but this is pretty cool~. I like the concept as well! :]

Draug

quality posts: 69 Private Messages Draug
Re: Extinction

Oh I like this! Interesting take on the phoenix/rebirth theme! gmv

The enemy's gate is down.
Writers are people too! (Albeit strange ones.)
Save Poe! Reckon Nevermore! Or he'll be head-locked forevermore!

Azurett

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Azurett
Re: NO BOWLING!!!

Feel like I've seen this design, or similar designs, too many times. Used to be funny.

Azurett

I love this! Bird is executed extremely well and the idea is great. GMV

Draug

quality posts: 69 Private Messages Draug
yumac29 wrote:Draug, is your sig a Enders Game reference?

Yep! ^_^

The enemy's gate is down.
Writers are people too! (Albeit strange ones.)
Save Poe! Reckon Nevermore! Or he'll be head-locked forevermore!

Azurett

Re: Birding

Haha, nice! GMV

Azurett

Re: Migration (resub on brown)

Nice detail, and I like the warm colors. Maybe I'm just cold? GMV anyways.

Maparoni

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Maparoni
Re: Team Esther

Yep, it's confirmed, he is balderah. I called his doctor yesterday and he told me so. He also said to expect him to keep posting dumb shirts to get attention. Seems to be working.

To date: 14 woots, 23 items wooted!
Im here just to fart around... Maybe I should go back to work... =x

jupilberry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jupilberry
Re: The Bird

prozakgal wrote:... am i the only one that thinks it kinda looks like a peen?

I guess we all see what we look for. LOL!

mrwednesday

mikenytola wrote:Then how come nobody has mentioned the bottom half of the bird and is fixated on the wings which are not that bad (yet anatomically incorrect)? You say Edgar has a style, so does Ramyb, love it or hate it he is being stylized as well.

It's nitpicking when he has put more effort into this one than others by a landslide (imo), at least give the kid some credit where credit is due. He's starting to listen to people's criticisms and more open to changing some things. I'm not disagreeing that the bird's anatomy is incorrect, I agree with it but it's just not that big a deal beacuse this is not trying to be photo realistic and it's not grossly off. At least some people are being less insulting and more critiquing, so I guess that's giving him some credit. I think some of the regular haters (ex. Mr Wed) are actually being pretty good and constructive in here for a change. (It's a compliment, don't get defensive) Hell, he even used a photo example that was pretty damn funny and gave me a laugh.

It's not nitpicking. This design is seriously flawed for multiple reasons. Edgar's would take a lot more effort than this one. His is hand drawn and there is a lot more detail. ramy only drew a rough outline (which is not anatomically correct by a long shot in the wings or the tail and is not consistent from side to side) and then placed and colored some stock vectors he pulled from a vector pack. I don't care who the artist is, I don't ever want to see clipart. I can make a clipart design. A 4 year old can drag clipart around until it looks pretty.

As with his swirl designs, if this prints you will see many designs like it until people start to tire of them and then he will move back to the chibi animals once he thinks enough people have gotten over their reluctance to vote for and buy another one. If this doesn't print you'll never see a design like it again. Remeber "The Open Sea?" It didn't print and he never submitted anything like it again despite the fact that it garnered by far the most praise of any design he's submitted.

TheyKilledKenny

quality posts: 2 Private Messages TheyKilledKenny
pixie0011 wrote:for some reason this screams "cyndi lauper" to me. strange, i know...

Not quite boy-George... but kinda Cindy... GMV

Excuse Me Maam, Your Woot is Showing...

mikenytola

mrwednesday wrote:
As with his swirl designs, if this prints you will see many designs like it until people start to tire of them and then he will move back to the chibi animals once he thinks enough people have gotten over their reluctance to vote for and buy another one.

Well if that's the case than I'd like to see this win so we don't see anything like the two in last weeks derby for a while which I did not care for at all. ;)

GravityJMB

quality posts: 5 Private Messages GravityJMB
Re: Predator (v2!)

Love this! Hope it prints!

alexmdc

quality posts: 8 Private Messages alexmdc
Re: Defying Nature

super awesome!!!

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
mikan36 wrote:Ahaha, this is so cute! I love it - the colors are perfect for that wintery feel. Reminds me of kids wiping off the the window to see the snow outside and get excited to go play. lol

Thanks mikan! Hehe you have a more innocent take on these birds than some others;)

Vote!

bethlehemstarr

quality posts: 19 Private Messages bethlehemstarr

When I was a kid, we had a window right next to the kitchen table that had a bird feeder near it. We'd get birds perching on the window sill all the time. I remember wiping off the window to look at them while we were having dinner.
I just picture these wiping off the window looking in at a family having dinner. I see it as really sweet and innocent and curious.
It's just a generally 'likable' design.

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: Flying Imagination

Arparham's idea, hopefully come to life!

Vote!

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
Chucky635 wrote:dude she's hot!

That's one of the DBH models.

But yeah, I'll agree... she's hot.

icymallard

quality posts: 4 Private Messages icymallard
Re: Lil' Thunderbird

cool, i like the blue

he funny

icymallard

quality posts: 4 Private Messages icymallard
Siax wrote:wait thats my design......anyway do you mean the raven or the design on the shirt?

the design on the shirt

lovemedusa

quality posts: 4 Private Messages lovemedusa

LOVE IT! it stands to reason that the peahen would have "color envy". it's also amusing to think that in a way, she's a cross dresser.

this is great! love the concept, love the design!

bluetuba

quality posts: 57 Private Messages bluetuba
Re: Red Baron

This is exactly the same as the rejected one. A resub generally means you have changed the entry to fix the reason it was rejected.

Resubmitting the exact same thing will just get you rejected again. Unless it's a kitty in a pumpkin, then you can make it orange instead of black and you'll be fine.