Earlysong

quality posts: 21 Private Messages Earlysong
Re: Flight Academy

wow...you saved the best for last, I see. This is awesome.

I love this website! ^^

DrewDaddio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DrewDaddio
Re: Delusions of Grandeur

I think that the shirt is best as-is for several reasons.

1. If the eagle and snake was detailed anymore prominently the shirt would be seen as a comparison between the eagle and the tiny bird rather than the eagle representing the small birds image of itself.

2. The placement of the bird vs. shadow is in front because the shadow is actually how the bird is viewing itself during the hunt.

3. It's just an awesome shirt, def reminds me of how I live my life i.e. when I'm making dinner I imagine myself on the iron chef.

capedcrusader514

quality posts: 1 Private Messages capedcrusader514
tjost wrote:When printed you lose anything around a 7% half tone or smaller. If they do print they aren't consistent enough to do a large fill area without looking splotchy. Any of the smallest dots you see on the close up above wouldn't burn onto the screen so you'd lose most of them before you even went to press. Since the image isn't reliant on large areas of it though it would look fine once printed.

As a side note to other designers, if you do half tones that are on the small side do them at either a 67 degree angle or a 42, never at 0 or 90 (the dots lined up on the horizontal or vertical plane) the reason for this is that the mesh of the screen is at 0 and 90 so you will have missing halftones that are blocked by the knucles of the screen (where the vert and horizontal threads cross).

Great post!

TheyKilledKenny

quality posts: 2 Private Messages TheyKilledKenny

Really Love the colors... GMV

Excuse Me Maam, Your Woot is Showing...

elviswind

quality posts: 1 Private Messages elviswind
taninniver wrote:It was indeed a play on words - but on the word itself - I had no idea Crass was a band XD
I thought about hyphenating it to make it more clear, but then it became Crass-owary, and "owary" looked way too much like "ovary" to me - ack!

Yeah, Crass is an old punk band from England.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crass

juliaL719

quality posts: 0 Private Messages juliaL719
marzipanapple wrote:

AInstead though, it sort of looks like someone is either holding the bird up by his wing joints or threw him really hard at a perfectly horizontal angle (and he's just hit the wall). 'Lookit that, Earl! Bird's bleed'n neon ornge!'

Oh hee. Oh hee hee hee.

Yeah, the flattened wing is really bothering me. This is honestly a problem which could have been fixed via looking at like 3 pictures of a swooping falcon - that IS what kind of bird is depicted, correct? Because the parrot-esque beak was throwing me off.

I doodle a lot of swoopy birds - I haven't the slightest idea why - and I generally had the same fundamental problem with getting the closer wing just so. Perspective's a pain to learn, but it is a hell of important thing to learn.

As an aside, I am sick to death of the pervasive vector-vomit in the world of mass-marketed shirts. Say I am in Target and realize that boyfriend needs a new t-shirt. Alas! They have all been puked upon by distressed skulls and swirlies and circles.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
Re: Penguins and Waffles, Together at Last

Omni, this design is funny! I love the "Spumco" look of the penguins.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
Re: Into the Wild

Nice negative space. I'd buy this for sure. Very nice representation of the great outdoors.

kamz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kamz
bassanimation wrote:This is really, really cool. And, I LOVES coffeeee om nom nom. I wish the design was way smaller on the shirt though. I'd be afraid it would be drawing attention to the no-no area, hahaha. This design is great though. Best luck when in the fog!

Thanks bassanimation. For me too coffee is life, can't open my eyes in the morning without my cuppa & late nights when I'm on the drawing board are all powered by coffee;)

kamz

nelso273 wrote:Well, I personally like designs printed bigger like this. My favorite woot shirt so far is my "Sex Drugs" fake band shirt with the drummin' robot, and that thing takes up the entire shirt!

You got my vote for the print as-is.

You are so kind nelso273

kamz

All of your designs in this derby are amazing tjost, bet you too are powered by coffee, beautiful illustrations & bright perky colors.

Powered By Coffee

capedcrusader514

quality posts: 1 Private Messages capedcrusader514

sinking like a stonnnnnne.

taninniver

quality posts: 0 Private Messages taninniver
elviswind wrote:Yeah, Crass is an old punk band from England.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crass

Interesting - and oddly appropriate for the design.
Thanks for enlightening me!

taninniver

quality posts: 0 Private Messages taninniver
capedcrusader514 wrote:sinking like a stonnnnnne.

I hear ya, man ;)
Better luck next week!

kamz

LadyMediocrity wrote:I'm sorry, Kamz, it's a cool design, but I can't look at it without seeing an owl pooping into a coffee cup.

giggles:D, & now I cannot unsee, but my owl is a gymnast, steady on its nimble feet.

kamz

Re: Bedtime Bird

Aaaawww, nap time & now I too want my teddy.
Jasneko your illustartion is always so cute, just like the illustration from my fave childrens book.

Powered By Coffee

kamz

omnitarian

quality posts: 15 Private Messages omnitarian
SkekTek wrote:Omni, this design is funny! I love the "Spumco" look of the penguins.

I'm astounded both you and Misskari mentioned Spumco, because I recently archive binged that very blog the boost/imprint on my skills was recognizable overnight. Been trying to add in a bit more dynamism and exaggeration into my posing/character design, and taking big cues from Mr. K's theories on linework and construction. What can I say, the dude is brilliant.

justrunfaster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages justrunfaster
Re: Peacock

i love peacocks.

and i especially love yours.

ressamac

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ressamac
Re: Owl Eyes

A bit hesitant to comment after my last debacle. Oh and I still have a cramp in my right hand.

SJulian1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SJulian1
mrwednesday wrote:Exactly. I will say again, ramy doesn't get more criticism because people dislike him. He gets more criticism because he consistently submits flawed and unfinished work.

Correlation does not imply causation.

You can't honestly say that he doesn't get some flack because people don't like him (with proper reasons)

Antiwater572

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Antiwater572
tgentry wrote:Birding

A quickie before the weekend hits and I'm officially birded out.

I always vote yes, and then see who it is. Nice stuff, take the weekend off and we'll see you around!

Draug

quality posts: 69 Private Messages Draug
xazothia wrote:Aww, no love for cranberry? Any particular reason?

I don't normally like "red" but I really do like woot's cranberry shirt color. I tried this on kelly green and royal blue as well (there's some images in the pre-derby thread), but cranberry was the crowd favorite.

It's not the cranberry. I just wish there wasn't so much of the same color on the actual design. But that's just me. I'm always like that.

The enemy's gate is down.
Writers are people too! (Albeit strange ones.)
Save Poe! Reckon Nevermore! Or he'll be head-locked forevermore!

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
Re: Penguins and Waffles, Together at Last

I absolutely love this (ten times more after reading the write up you gave it :D )

Blinkfive8two

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Blinkfive8two
Re: powered by coffee

I really like this design as-is, the resub doesn't even compare. This ones just so bold and in your face. I want to force people to recognize my chemical addiction to caffeine.
Great work anyhow.

mvngsth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mvngsth
nmtschaenn wrote:Somebody was watching the recent Pixar short film special.

That was the first thing that I thought when I saw this one.

MooseAndSquirrel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MooseAndSquirrel
alphadogginny wrote:This is my second entry in a derby, please let me know what you think and if you have any tips for this image or for future entries in general. Thanks!

Cute characters so it would be a shirt more women would like, however the placement would have to be different. IMHO I don't think you would have very many women buying this shirt due to the placement of the "eyes". Something you may want to consider for future submissions.

MooseAndSquirrel

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
TheyKilledKenny wrote:Really Love the colors... GMV

I agree, great colors... and I love the old timey feel of these birds because of their outfits - at least to me! Great work Tjost.

strawhat311

quality posts: 6 Private Messages strawhat311
Re: Ask Mr. Owl

Please don't reject this woot, I love you!!!

I would so buy this shirt ominous messages from Greg! GMV!

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation

Well done TJost! I love this! The colors are really great, nice and bright! Also very clever. GMV!

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
bsketbllplyer wrote:Do Adder or wednesday ever submit anything? I really want them to submit something they feel is good, and then I can just be blown away by its perfection.

I'm new, so this is actually an honest question, with a semi-sarcastic remark following.

I would also love to see them submit work here, or anywhere. But, I dont think they have the confidence to show us anything that is less than perfection. That would actually open them up to the same type of crit they offer up here daily. I don't know if they have the heart for that . It's not easy having anons on the internet pick apart your every efforts while making assumptions about your character and personal goals.

strawhat311

Re: powered by coffee

I prefer a side design for something like this as well. If you made it a little bit taller and skinnier and re-positioned it, then I'll be sold.

strawhat311

Re: Predator (v2!)

Looks great! Congratulations. I'd buy it. GMV!

Drakxxx

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Drakxxx
Re: Green Cheek Conure (old school monochrome)

This looks really cool man! Very mice job.

nyren

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nyren

This is my favorite entry of yours this derby. The colors are really nicely used :D

chennai8

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chennai8

Good one walmazan...btw Where is "Happy BIRDday" ?

neyfam2000 wrote:Woot!--going from "Deal-a-day" to "Site-a-day"

nyren

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nyren
Re: Flight of the Great Horned Owl (resub)

Wow. Though I'd be happier with the shirt if the illustration was smaller, I can't not vote for this shirt now. The artwork is gorgeous.

MooseAndSquirrel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MooseAndSquirrel
Re: Independence

I have to say that this is incredible pen work... Extreemly realistic with beautifully placed pen and empty spaces. GMV!!!

MooseAndSquirrel

jasneko

Re: The Birdhouse in your Soul
windflies wrote:you are totally the only bee in my bonnet.

Altheahelaine wrote:I love this song so much. And so therefore this shirt. And of course you. <3

Aw thanks Altheahelaine <3

jasneko