AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
marmls2m wrote:if the argument is so meaningless, why dont you come up with a better one, huh??

go easy on her kyle, she's just a designer. she cant be expected to understand things like logic and ethics

As cynical as I am, half the reason I fight here at all is because I believe that artists AND designers can and should understand logic and ethics. Not so much around here, but I've seen it elsewhere.

Design IS an art. Good design should ALWAYS have artistry in it. But while we can praise the abstractions of art without any element of design, design that lacks art is like local, low-budget commercials... created solely to bring in sales, and ugly and horribly done.

yakub89

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yakub89
Re: Ask Mr. Owl

Unique, yet hilarious idea. These are the kind of ideas that deserve to be in the fog. Nice simple design. I wouldn't change anything. I'll buy this if it wins!
P.S. I want your bod...

HeartlessBlueAngel09

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HeartlessBlueAngel09
jlpagan wrote:I think Ballonboy has a crush on an 11 year old girl. Freakin' perv.

Technically she's a 30 something year old dwarf posing as an 11 year old orphan.

Sorry if I ruined the movie for anyone with my comment, but I felt as though it should be said.

capedcrusader514

quality posts: 1 Private Messages capedcrusader514

cho cho cho cho. awesome. why are there so many awesome enteries this week..... most of which not printing

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
Re: Don't Call Me Robin

I love the colors on this.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

Sueski2525

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sueski2525
Re: Birding

I love this so much! It has a simplistic Rob Dobi feel to it. It's simply wonderful!

bonezz322

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bonezz322
Re: Sea Bird

Please let us know what you think.

chunkydesign

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chunkydesign
Re: Rockin Robin

Brilliant illustration and great use of color (or lack of). Hard to find a flaw on this design, but for me the happy face on the cloud, doesn´t work with the rest of the design. Great work and a shame not seeing this in the fog...

Papaya79

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Papaya79
Re: Pretty Like The Boys

Wow, this is really beautifully done. Well done!

Itsandymann

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Itsandymann

Looks like a Pokemon evolution cycle

Papaya79

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Papaya79
tjost wrote:Thanks Vik and everyone else so far. Yeah like I said it was going to be a much simpler piece to start off, I think I may post some sketches so people can see the evolution it took. It was going to be more cartoony but I was inspired by some of the nicely detailed pieces on the derby this week.

I really like the more realistic (I use the term loosely ) look of this piece. The colors are phenomenal and the concept is really cute and funny. GMV!

ressamac

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ressamac
Re: Rockin Robin

Love this design. I noticed recently that designs I fall in love with seem to be by AlexMDC. So feel kind of excited to see you here. GMV.

ressamac

Wow! Is this return of the rock stars week? Love this!

ressamac

Re: Predator (v2!)

I wish these great discussions about art and design were in their own thread so I could find them.

I think Ramyb has an eye for color.

Toons7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Toons7
schirfmt wrote:I second this.

Just resub it with no text i would buy it.
Even if it were just the duck

lonelypond

quality posts: 464 Private Messages lonelypond
Re: Sea Bird

Love the colors and the sweeping style.

Need a New Year's Resolution? Resolve to read In The Bleak December ; )

lonelypond

quality posts: 464 Private Messages lonelypond
Re: Pretty Like The Boys

very cool; don't usually like off center image placements but this one works perfectly...

Need a New Year's Resolution? Resolve to read In The Bleak December ; )

marmls2m

quality posts: 2 Private Messages marmls2m
AdderXYU wrote:As cynical as I am, half the reason I fight here at all is because I believe that artists AND designers can and should understand logic and ethics. Not so much around here, but I've seen it elsewhere.

Design IS an art. Good design should ALWAYS have artistry in it. But while we can praise the abstractions of art without any element of design, design that lacks art is like local, low-budget commercials... created solely to bring in sales, and ugly and horribly done.

given that my original comment was removed i have no doubt your reply will be removed too, and this comment possibly too. however, in that post i did not mean to differentiate between artists and designers. i might as well have said:

"go easy on her kyle, shes just an artist"

chunkydesign

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chunkydesign
Re: Appease the bird king.

Great illustration as usual. Your style of drawing is full of expression, and always works to an amazing final result, even on a plain white shirt. Besides that, I have to agree with has been said here before, that the triangle on the background wasn´t really needed and it doesn´t add anything to the composition.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
AdderXYU wrote:Don't worry, Vik, she's new. As soon as she realizes Cho is pretty much a woot paragon of quality in concept and execution, she'll be ragging on him like she does EVERY good designer here.

LOL, yeah, I rag on everyone here who's any good Adder. That's why I try to visit as many artist's threads that I like and leave nice comments on them. Just because I leave a crit or don't comment on things you like doesn't mean I'm ragging on people :\. But, you'll always see everything I say as negative.

It honestly confuses me that you are ok with someone cashing in on a fanbase someone else built with their own ideas/characters/art. But, you're -not- ok with shinydesu art that at least the artist created themselves. It may be banal or cancellation to you, but at least it's not cashing in on someone else's work on a national tshirt site. To me, that is _my_ definition of "pandering". Using an existing fanbase to get attention as opposed to your own work.

I personally see entries like this as akin to fanart. It's very, very easy to get an audience when using a familiar idea that people recall fondly. I would rather see people's original art here. That's why I come here, for these artists work, not fanart. If I want that I can go to the mall.

anarchyvirus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anarchyvirus
neonphase wrote:Seriously? I would Buy like 10 of these !

Oh look a well designed shirt, quick woot reject it based on some half assed subjective criteria.

jupilberry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jupilberry
prozakgal wrote:haha i guess that's true enough!! Lol, but seriously at first glance before i got the flipin the bird reference all i could see was a jacked up "bird" that looked rather phallic...

Great, now my design is even funnier to me...too bad it's not to many others.

anarchyvirus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anarchyvirus
Draug wrote:Ban him. Seriously. This is two derbies in a row. This guy obviously has no respect for this site.

I also have lost respect for this site.

ssjbryces

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ssjbryces

Excellent. This entry shows significant improvement over your entries last week. Please keep this style, but the anatomy could use some work. If you improve at this rate every week, I might be voting for you within the year.

tenza

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tenza
bassanimation wrote:To me, that is _my_ definition of "pandering". Using an existing fanbase to get attention as opposed to your own work.

Um, I think every submitter of a design is using a fanbase to get attention. I mean, that's what this very site is: a fanbase.

I'd consider pandering to be something like posting only one piece on an art gallery website for the sole purpose of selling a product and not contributing anything to gallery otherwise.

walmazan

quality posts: 65 Private Messages walmazan
Re: You're So Vain

I love it and look so nice on the tee!!!!

it's an amazing work!

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
IndependentVik wrote:I'm surprised you have that much of a dislike for existing IP references. Just my opinion, but the pieces you defend week in and week out are much more artistically lazy. They're derivative, rely on an easily-aped, highly marketable style, are conceptually weak or, when they're not, are retreads of designs printed elsewhere.

The stuff you actually draw, though, I tend to find interesting conceptually, and I usually enjoy your execution as well.

Thanks for your comment. I think people greatly, greatly misunderstand me here on Woot. I defend a lot of the things here because I feel people and art are _wrongly_ attacked. It's hard to explain here without being picked apart. If you need a better explanation please pm me. I'm happy to talk to people off-site.

Oddly enough, as I said to Adder above, using existing IP is a "pander" to me. The cute chibi work is another version of "pandering", yes. I will agree it is not exactly a style that is original or difficult to create. However, _both_ of these things are geared to _sell_. (this is not a defense of pandering, it is just a comparison)

I'm not trying to attack the artist. I just want to see people's own stuff here. If I wanted a pop culture shirt, I can get it at the mall. I really like to see artist's own work and ideas here. That's what I come here to buy.

Thanks so much for the compliment, I appreciate it very much .

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
walmazan wrote:I love it and look so nice on the tee!!!!

it's an amazing work!

Thanks, Wences!! :D

marzipanapple

quality posts: 7 Private Messages marzipanapple
Re: Flight Academy

Haha, for some reason...this brings up Top Gun in my mind. Though please don't take that as a negative thing. Top Gun is definitely terrible, but this entry is completely opposite. I love the colors.

adbaxter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages adbaxter
Re: Optical Illusion Bird

I like the colors and the lines a lot, but I'm not seeing the optical illusion. Can you help me? Surely it is more than which way the neck is curved...?

marzipanapple

Re: Giiiiizzzaaaaards

Chicken's expression is priceless. Awesome idea, Bass.

marzipanapple

Re: The RAWKatiels

I LOVE love love the movement in this. Plus the colors are so *awesome*! They're definitely rocking out colors.

Not to mention, that drummer is one hot chick.

marzipanapple

tjost wrote:Thanks Caped! I'm thinking about doing a screen print art technique faq/q&a thread here, I just dread the thought of how much typing that would involve

Yes, YES! This would be absolutely awesome and I think a lot of people would be very thankful to you. You use halftones like a master, so who better to do such a thing?

tenza

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tenza
bassanimation wrote:snip

OK, perhaps I was a little too indirect. Y'know my little quip about pandering? Yeah, that's about you. For that reason, I find it ironic that you'd be the the one talking about what pandering is and isn't.

TheyKilledKenny

quality posts: 2 Private Messages TheyKilledKenny
Drakxxx wrote:This looks really cool man! Very mice job.

Thank you very much... It means alot...

Excuse Me Maam, Your Woot is Showing...

TheyKilledKenny

jasneko wrote:Nice work TKKenny!

Thank you...

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240

And the crowd goes wild!!

TheyKilledKenny

tjost wrote:I actually really like this. This is my favorite shirt I've seen of yours Kenny. Somethings gotta be said for old school pixel art

Thank you... I am trying different approaches... some work better than others...

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
bassanimation wrote:LOL, yeah, I rag on everyone here who's any good Adder. That's why I try to visit as many artist's threads that I like and leave nice comments on them. Just because I leave a crit or don't comment on things you like doesn't mean I'm ragging on people :\. But, you'll always see everything I say as negative.

It honestly confuses me that you are ok with someone cashing in on a fanbase someone else built with their own ideas/characters/art. But, you're -not- ok with shinydesu art that at least the artist created themselves. It may be banal or cancellation to you, but at least it's not cashing in on someone else's work on a national tshirt site. To me, that is _my_ definition of "pandering". Using an existing fanbase to get attention as opposed to your own work.

I personally see entries like this as akin to fanart. It's very, very easy to get an audience when using a familiar idea that people recall fondly. I would rather see people's original art here. That's why I come here, for these artists work, not fanart. If I want that I can go to the mall.

Parody is far different from fan art, though. First, it requires a creative concept pulling from the original content. Good parody requires clever use of the source material. It also requires a very diverse skill level to be able to adequately represent so many different characters (Weird Al Yankovic has an -incredibly- competent band considering all the diverse styles they are able to ape for the sake of humour). Parody is easy to do, but hard to do well (ie; most parodies on woot, or most homemade parody songs on youtube).

Comparatively, chibi-desu is like Nickelback. It might be done purely by one's own hand, but if it's all boring and the same, who cares? A good parody is BETTER, because it still requires being hand-crafted, but also RELIES on a strong concept, where the Nickelback designs certain people give require nothing but a formula the same schlubs without doing anything of worth.

I am the first to say that woot would be better off getting rid of all parody work, because most people here don't get it. Most people here do it horribly. But overall, a well done parody is far more creative and skillful than the chibi nonsense. It's like a comedy routine... you can spout catchphrases, or you can take your time to create unique commentaries and punchlines. A parody consisting of the latter humor and conceptualization exists out of respect for the art, not just profit (how many comics slum through the profession without ever garnering widespread respect? Most). On the other hand, the normal junk we get is Git 'er Done. Shout it over and over again, and the gumballs will laugh, but it doesn't make you a good comic. Most of woot is the artistic equivalent of Carlos Mencia or Larry the Cable Guy... Thieves or cliches.

MorbidEclipse

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MorbidEclipse
Re: Station 13 (resub - centred)

uuggg... no comment about the "text," but apparently Woot doesn't actually pay attention to Lost because if they did they'd know about the SWAN station. *sigh*

:: Harbinger of Death ::

FASTEST! :D -->