reede


quality posts: 1 Private Messages reede
Re: Ask Mr. Owl



Good Job Jonah! Everyone has wanted a piece of that smug-arse owl since he snatched up that tootsie roll!

xazothia


quality posts: 54 Private Messages xazothia
HujoeBigs wrote:One of the main reason I don't like this shirt actually. I haven't looked up any of this artists other shirts yet, but this one, if it is like any other shirt he does I would not buy it even if it was in a thrift store for a buck. He is using to many religious symbols (or things that resemble them), his art style is too sketchy (unless it is done VERY well I don't like colors out of the positive/negative space they are suppose to fill), I know every one gets on another artist for this, but all the faces to me feel very dead then again I get that feeling when none of the birds have colored eyes just the empty white gaze of a zombie.
It looks like a Saturday morning editorial cartoon that the editor was to bored to really come up with anything amusing. I'm sorry but I don't get nor feel the love for this shirt. Again unless its interesting I probably wont reply back. Not trying to start a flame war just stating my opinion.



I can't speak about the religious references (I see them, but they don't bother me because I'm not very religious, and my favorite religious icon happens to be Saint Sebastian anyway), but I trust that you are not alone in your feelings with regard to Edgar's style. I don't always like it myself, and it took me a while to warm up to it in the first place. Some of my friends have asked me about it and I couldn't really give them a response. You either like it or you don't. And the voting trends suggest that more people fall into the latter category than the former.

The "dead eyes" in this particular design work well for the design because it's already a sort of surreal/absurd situation, and the eyes add to that creepy, dreamlike effect. How well they work in other designer's images varies on what the designer is trying to convey.

TheyKilledKenny


quality posts: 2 Private Messages TheyKilledKenny
bethlehemstarr wrote:This freaked me out more than anything that's ever been posted here.
I now am suffering from the heebie-jeebies. I didn't even know that it was possible to actually have a case of heebie-jeebies. I always thought it was a passing thing.



It is really disturbing...

Excuse Me Maam, Your Woot is Showing...

mrwednesday


quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
JaundiceDave wrote:Responding to your individual points is hopeless if you continue to reduce the argument to this. Seriously, "We have no evidence that anyone has cheated, but we also have no evidence that no was has cheated as well"? Are you joking? What a ridiculous statement. The burden of proof lies entirely on the accuser, and that you seem to not realize this is amazing to me.

As for the second part of your statement, the way you've worded it is again disingenuous. You say that woot may or may have not found cheating. Ooooh, how mysterious. If they have? Why the hell haven't they done anything about it? It would be child's play to link fake accounts to their creators, as they would be voting for their shirts and acting in otherwise suspicious ways. Do you honestly think that woot staff are that dim? Or are you perhaps suggesting that they are in league with R and S? With the tinfoil hat paranoia you possess, I would not be surprised in the least.



You won't speak about any of them because you can't because you at best your logic is weak and most of it is severely flawed and based on incorrect information. To add to this, if you had read the post by Joel in the link I provided you would see that they are deliberately withholding information so that they do not have an arms race with cheaters where they change their tactics after they learn that woot knows about them. For now they are content that they are catching cheating and that the cheating parties do not know they are being caught. So again, your entire post is massively flawed and again based on incorrect information.

paulkremer


quality posts: 4 Private Messages paulkremer
JaundiceDave wrote:
Second, I find Adder's way of dealing with the "good enough" mentality to be completely wrong headed. Why does he care if people buy shirts he doesn't like? It's not his place or anyone else's to tell people they made a horrible decision, for if they did they will pay for it in the long run. If a R shirt is good enough for them, that's fine. If Aunt Jenny takes good enough pictures, it's fine. I can rest easy knowing people will always want quality goods, and Adder just needs to chillax.



I do agree with you. The hard part about this is that Woot USED TO BE one of those sites that offered up great artwork with clever concepts. I haven't been here since the beginning, but I remember when I actually had to set a budget at Woot each month and was sad when more good shirts than I could afford were available. You got great shirts printed on AA for $10! It was great!

Lately though, we're lucky if 1 shirt a month lives up the old standard. The quality of the art has severely decreased, and instead of seeing "new and creative" printing, we are seeing the same old designs printing week after week. Don't get me wrong. Those same artists that gave us new and creative are still here, and still giving it to us. But they aren't printing anymore. They have been eclipsed almost weekly by R and S. Now, instead of fighting for 3 spots, the designers giving us what Woot USED TO BE about are fighting for 1 spot.

I think one of the reasons Adder is so upset (and I am upset too, although not to the same extent) is that voters don't seem to care at all about the quality level of the designs or the reputations of the artists they vote for. And even worse, neither does Woot. It's like watching your favorite restaurant slowly get worse and worse to the point you can hardly stand going anymore. Of course there are other restaurants, and a lot of people will go elsewhere. Adder on the other hand wants to fight to make things change...after all, that's the only way they will.

I am not quite as vocal about it, nor would I be quite as mean-spirited, but I do agree with the principles behind why Adder posts. If you'd seen what Woot used to be, you might find yourself in the same boat.

j0naht


quality posts: 0 Private Messages j0naht
Re: What's the duck doing to the baby?



shaking its belly? I don't get it...

abelleauc


quality posts: 0 Private Messages abelleauc
haxrox wrote: I love that you don't even have to change the bait to get birds. And the birdcage maintains the serene feel; he's just catching a pet, not a meal.



Yes, the use of a worm is delightful. This is charming!

haxrox wrote: I really enjoy how you switch up your style so much, tgentry. With all those great ideas and different approaches, your shirt portfolio is something like a comic book without words or an entertaining art collection. I'd buy that book.



Again, I fully agree. Several of the best artists here are so versatile in their styles and moods - it makes a mere mortal's head spin.

lumpyface


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lumpyface
Re: Big Jerk



Just FYI:
This shirt looks a lot like this pixar short film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS3u3xIrBTQ

Dunno if it's relevant, but there's that.

lindab53


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lindab53
Re: Flight Academy



My favorite in the fog. Ill buy one if it wins. I love the birds in their coats -- really well done!

stepjr23


quality posts: 0 Private Messages stepjr23
Re: Oh, Yah. I Rode One In Oconomowoc



A while back I was on a duck that died. We had to have a rescue duck come get us in the middle of the river. A different time I was on a duck that died in the middle of the street and we had to get out and walk back. Voted for this shirt anyway even though I don't have very pleasant memories.

rockefoe


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rockefoe
Re: The Original Recycler



FAWKES!!!

jmmbell1987


quality posts: 78 Private Messages jmmbell1987
xazothia wrote:
The "dead eyes" in this particular design work well for the design because it's already a sort of surreal/absurd situation, and the eyes add to that creepy, dreamlike effect. How well they work in other designer's images varies on what the designer is trying to convey.



Bingo. Edgar's got a surreal style. The eyes are "dead" in an almost literal sense, but they're far from devoid of emotion or energy. They're integral to the design's tone, which might not be for everyone. The "other artist" mentioned, on the other hand, has shown time and time again no ability to convey anything through characters' eyes, no matter what the design.

jermandaim


quality posts: 1 Private Messages jermandaim

Awesome design and I hope it gets printed!

ressamac


quality posts: 4 Private Messages ressamac
Re: Owl Eyes



Thanks for the comments, guys. I was gonna make a hooters joke but I am falling short. Sorry. I will consider finishing the owl as soon as fingers uncurl. ;)

j0naht


quality posts: 0 Private Messages j0naht
Re: Predator (v2!)



RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!!

j0naht


quality posts: 0 Private Messages j0naht
Re: Yummy Bird Resub



You should definitely keep this guy around and use him in a later derby.

mjc613


quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
Re: Lets Get Serious



It's THE bird, but not PG-13.

mjc613


quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
Re: The Ugliest Duckling *resub*


I loved the Danny Kaye song about this story, and always wanted a last verse where the ducks had to apologize.

Since they didn't apologize, they got what they deserved!!! GO SWAN!!

mjc613


quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
Re: Bedtime Bird



I want this for a nightshirt

gargrazz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gargrazz
KevinMCombes wrote:They only care that it's "funny". Not artistic.



...and they're so rarely funny. I'd buy a poorly drawn shirt if it was funny. Most of their "funny" shirts are toothless comfort-humor, though. Maybe it's cutting edge on a kid's jam-stained jumper at Gymboree - but incredibly tame on an adult.

"she is reported to have said that." = not really all that funny.

mrwednesday


quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
gargrazz wrote:...and they're so rarely funny. I'd buy a poorly drawn shirt if it was funny. Most of their "funny" shirts are toothless comfort-humor, though. Maybe it's cutting edge on a kid's jam-stained jumper at Gymboree - but incredibly tame on an adult.

"she is reported to have said that." = not really all that funny.



These are the same people who thought that illustrating whack-a-mole with the same hamster from said shirt but now with a squirrel tail was "incredibly clever." Really makes you wonder.

MissJamieD


quality posts: 44 Private Messages MissJamieD
Re: Little Wing



I love this shirt but am sad to see it SO late in the derby

Good Luck, regardless!!

alphadogginny


quality posts: 1 Private Messages alphadogginny
MooseAndSquirrel wrote:Cute characters so it would be a shirt more women would like, however the placement would have to be different. IMHO I don't think you would have very many women buying this shirt due to the placement of the "eyes". Something you may want to consider for future submissions.



Thanks for the tip, I never really thought about it. To be honest, for me, it was an experiment to see if big eyes really make a difference when it comes to voting.

picasserole


quality posts: 0 Private Messages picasserole
MissJamieD wrote:I love this shirt but am sad to see it SO late in the derby

Good Luck, regardless!!


Thanks, I knocked this one off, when it became evident, that my numero uno design, would not make the cut. Glad you like this one tho..

buddyh0lly


quality posts: 0 Private Messages buddyh0lly
Re: powered by coffee



This shirt is freakin sweet!
GMV!

JaundiceDave


quality posts: 2 Private Messages JaundiceDave
mrwednesday wrote:You won't speak about any of them because you can't because you at best your logic is weak and most of it is severely flawed and based on incorrect information. To add to this, if you had read the post by Joel in the link I provided you would see that they are deliberately withholding information so that they do not have an arms race with cheaters where they change their tactics after they learn that woot knows about them. For now they are content that they are catching cheating and that the cheating parties do not know they are being caught. So again, your entire post is massively flawed and again based on incorrect information.



I read the post. You say that they've caught the cheaters, so why, if R and S are cheating, and woot has caught the cheaters, do they keep winning? Have they managed to be that incredibly clever that they can slip through woot's defenses with nary a care? It seems to be you whose enitre post is massively flawed, my friend. Perhaps if you put as much time into coming up with arguments as you do posing yourself for photos to illustrate bird anatomy, you would realize this.

mikan36


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikan36
truffleshuffle wrote:Yeah cranes! haha. Ya know, I think I liked the one on cream better...I think it brought out the gorgeous detail in the wings more. Still very pretty though and GMV;)



Yea, I agree with you. I liked it on creme but alas, I had to make changes and changing the shirt color seemed like a good idea. Thanks for your vote & comments!

sonny2009


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sonny2009
ArchAdder wrote:You know it's really funny... If Drakxxx submitted this exact design, the only argument about the situation would be who gets to blow him first, Adder or MrWednesday...

... They throw fists to get the first taste!



Yeah, and If Drak submitted this, the bird would be anatomically accurate, there wouldn't be any vector based BS incorporated into it, and most importantly, ...it wouldn't be in the fog.

Lagbert


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert

Alas the derby is no longer accepting new submissions, or I would kill this shirt and post versions 2



I feel this version of the design shows off more of the details and makes the design clearer from a distance.

Floridafighter66


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Floridafighter66
Re: Lets Get Serious



you're an Dr. Clayton Forrester, dfose

dsatele


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dsatele
paulkremer wrote:I do agree with you. The hard part about this is that Woot USED TO BE one of those sites that offered up great artwork with clever concepts. I haven't been here since the beginning, but I remember when I actually had to set a budget at Woot each month and was sad when more good shirts than I could afford were available. You got great shirts printed on AA for $10! It was great!

Lately though, we're lucky if 1 shirt a month lives up the old standard. The quality of the art has severely decreased, and instead of seeing "new and creative" printing, we are seeing the same old designs printing week after week. Don't get me wrong. Those same artists that gave us new and creative are still here, and still giving it to us. But they aren't printing anymore. They have been eclipsed almost weekly by R and S. Now, instead of fighting for 3 spots, the designers giving us what Woot USED TO BE about are fighting for 1 spot.

I think one of the reasons Adder is so upset (and I am upset too, although not to the same extent) is that voters don't seem to care at all about the quality level of the designs or the reputations of the artists they vote for. And even worse, neither does Woot. It's like watching your favorite restaurant slowly get worse and worse to the point you can hardly stand going anymore. Of course there are other restaurants, and a lot of people will go elsewhere. Adder on the other hand wants to fight to make things change...after all, that's the only way they will.

I am not quite as vocal about it, nor would I be quite as mean-spirited, but I do agree with the principles behind why Adder posts. If you'd seen what Woot used to be, you might find yourself in the same boat.



I seem to remember one of the first ever derby winners was stock clipart of a water drop and flame. Another early winner (by the great James Cho no less) was soundly blasted by the art-folks as a ripoff of the Calvin and Hobbes style. Cho changed and adapted his style to please the Woot populace and produced some GREAT shirts. Were he to regularly submit here again, I'm quite sure he would give R and S a run for their money. My point is that it is possible to adapt to the voters while maintaining quality.

jasneko


quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: The Crane's Return

I love the colors mikan! White on cranberry looks really great. Beautiful this time around too!


riffmaster18


quality posts: 5 Private Messages riffmaster18
thatrobert wrote:

  • Congratulations on winning a Best Loser Award!
  • This is not SPAM.
  • Winning a BLA does NOT mean this shirt won't print -- I'm hoping it does.
  • Your one and only gift is this crappy little badge in your shirt thread. Enjoy.
  • Show me how you do it, and I promise you, I promise that I'll run away with you.



cool thanks!


Hey Artists! Post your favorite design to my wall from your Facebook page. If I use your image I always link back to you.

mrwednesday


quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
JaundiceDave wrote:I read the post. You say that they've caught the cheaters, so why, if R and S are cheating, and woot has caught the cheaters, do they keep winning? Have they managed to be that incredibly clever that they can slip through woot's defenses with nary a care? It seems to be you whose enitre post is massively flawed, my friend. Perhaps if you put as much time into coming up with arguments as you do posing yourself for photos to illustrate bird anatomy, you would realize this.



Again you are speculating and trying to present it as fact and your speculation is a logical fallacy. Absence of proof is not proof of absence. This really is getting pathetic.

princessethics


quality posts: 0 Private Messages princessethics
Re: Don't Call Me Robin



Oh my god. This shirt. I need it.

JaundiceDave


quality posts: 2 Private Messages JaundiceDave
mrwednesday wrote:Again you are speculating and trying to present it as fact and your speculation is a logical fallacy. Absence of proof is not proof of absence. This really is getting pathetic.



I wanted to ignore the first sentence entirely, as I read it five times and was still unable to find any meaning in it whatsoever, but I feel I must respond. Present WHAT as fact? What speculation am I making? I am stating something that is objectively true, which is that THE BURDEN OF PROOF IS ENTIRELY ON YOU. That is NOT speculation.

I'm not sure what about this you don't understand. The burden of proof likes ENTIRELY ON YOU. YOU are the one using the "absence of proof" argument. Here is what your argument boils down to. 'Sure, I don't have any real evidence or proof, but you can't prove that they're NOT cheating, so there!' That is the logic of a fourth grader.

katfin25


quality posts: 1 Private Messages katfin25
Jet2322 wrote:I'm tired of freakin' penguins
lets do something original on shirt.woot



oo oo! like a phoenix!






:-P

Do you like beer? Then check out
brewlimination.com

Do NOT EVER purchase Bella Terra Cosmetics!

eronel


quality posts: 0 Private Messages eronel
Re: The Raven and Lenore



Cool shirt! I was the Raven, aka dead Lenore, for Halloween last year because my name is Lenore. Not very many people got it unfortunately, but that's what I get for going to a jock-university. Probably no one would get this shirt either.

weirdpuckett


quality posts: 0 Private Messages weirdpuckett
Re: Into the Wild



This is the coolest design in this thing!! Great!

mrwednesday


quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
JaundiceDave wrote:I'm not sure what about this you don't understand. The burden of proof likes ENTIRELY ON YOU. YOU are the one using the "absence of proof" argument. It is a silly attempt to say that 'Sure, I don't have any real evidence or proof, but you can't prove that they're NOT cheating, so there!' That is the logic of a fourth grader.

I wanted to ignore the first sentence entirely, as I read it five times and was still unable to find any meaning in it whatsoever, but I feel I must respond. Present WHAT as fact? What speculation am I making? I am stating something that is objectively true, which is that THE BURDEN OF PROOF IS ENTIRELY ON YOU. That is NOT speculation.



Ok congrats. You've set up another strawman. I'm not trying to prove anything because I know that I can't, however their past is still incredibly relevant and people should know it. Yet, you continue to harp on this "the burden of proof is yours and if you can't prove they are cheating everything you say is invalid." Well it isn't and no one made that statement to begin with. And you haven't responded to anything else I've said because you have been repeatedly shown to have used flawed logic and to have based it all on incorrect information (like when you tried to say that amuria didn't do anything on DA that was against ToU).

I know you'd like to ignore all of this and try to sweep it under the rug by trying to make the statement that all of my statements rely on my ability to prove that ramy has cheated at woot(which they don't). It's just getting sad at this point. Admit you don't know what you're talking about and that you really don't understand logical form. All of your "no you're wrong" statements are hollow because you can't actually say what is wrong because it isn't. At this point I'm not sure if you are trying to save face and not dig a deeper hole or if you really don't understand the things you are saying and their implicit meaning.