MachineAmbition

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MachineAmbition

Actually spells "yawn."

Phillycat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Phillycat

I'll wear this shirt the next time I watch the big bang theory...

dhoosty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dhoosty

NINTENDO SIXTY-FOUR!!!! OH MY GOD!!!!!
cool shirt

KittyPryde

quality posts: 7 Private Messages KittyPryde
Leminear wrote:Dude, I think everyone owned a nintendo 64. Maybe it's true nowdays that more casual gamers tend to own nintendo consoles, but I don't believe that was quite the case with n64.

Exactly, *everyone* owned an N64. It's not just the nerds, it's everyone. While nobody owns a Neo Geo, except the hardcores. You also may be hard pressed to find a Saturn owner. Or the 32x.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
JadenKale wrote:definitely a D20.

But the glasses kinda look like a P instead of a D... I kept reading "NERP."

so with the pi, it reads Perp.

Appropos?

AttilaTheMom

quality posts: 5 Private Messages AttilaTheMom

This is sort of old school nerd. I mean, when was the last time anyone used a nintendo 64 controller or even a protractor? And glasses??? Nerds are all about the latest and greatest in technology... if they weren't we'd still be using slide rules. So all in all it's nerd fail for me.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........ whatever.

PohTayToez

quality posts: 1 Private Messages PohTayToez

Everyone, please stop calling it a protractor. It's a drafting compass.

AttilaTheMom

quality posts: 5 Private Messages AttilaTheMom
xazothia wrote:now I'm reading it as Pi-Hero, which would be a great video game if it were like, Pie Hero, and it would combine the fun of Cooking Mama with the awesome of Guitar Hero. and in the end you'd eat pie.

You, sir or madam, officially rock.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........ whatever.

alyarias

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alyarias

ya its a compass people. get it right.
i read 'hero' maybe thats just what i want it to say...

cakeninjak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cakeninjak

Definitely looks more like it says "Terd" than "Nerd."

AdderXYU

AttilaTheMom wrote:This is sort of old school nerd. I mean, when was the last time anyone used a nintendo 64 controller or even a protractor? And glasses??? Nerds are all about the latest and greatest in technology... if they weren't we'd still be using slide rules. So all in all it's nerd fail for me.

If we're presuming nerds are all about the latest and greatest, why are they still buying shirts like this at all when they've been done to death? It's stale and stupid. And since almost all geekandnerdwear takes this avenue, it makes geeks and nerds look stale and stupid.

SaintWacko

quality posts: 15 Private Messages SaintWacko
jboshaw wrote:People always complain about too many video game references and cute, fuzzy critters, but no one thinks you can have too much Pi?

You can never have too much pi!! It's so delicious!!!

Knowledge is power,
Power corrupts,
Study hard, be evil.

Woots:
2X Sandisk Sansa Clip 2gb, April Fool's Boggy Old Creature, Anniversary edition Boggy Old Creature

SaintWacko

AttilaTheMom wrote:This is sort of old school nerd. I mean, when was the last time anyone used a nintendo 64 controller or even a protractor? And glasses??? Nerds are all about the latest and greatest in technology... if they weren't we'd still be using slide rules. So all in all it's nerd fail for me.

Whoa whoa whoa, hang on. What are you using instead of a protractor? And what's to say we don't still use slide rules? Hmmm?

Knowledge is power,
Power corrupts,
Study hard, be evil.

Woots:
2X Sandisk Sansa Clip 2gb, April Fool's Boggy Old Creature, Anniversary edition Boggy Old Creature

SaintWacko

KittyPryde wrote:Exactly, *everyone* owned an N64. It's not just the nerds, it's everyone. While nobody owns a Neo Geo, except the hardcores. You also may be hard pressed to find a Saturn owner. Or the 32x.

I've got an old Atari Lynx system I found at a flea market. And a manual for an Atari XL (don't remember the model number)

Knowledge is power,
Power corrupts,
Study hard, be evil.

Woots:

PohTayToez

SaintWacko wrote:Whoa whoa whoa, hang on. What are you using instead of a protractor? And what's to say we don't still use slide rules? Hmmm?

Compass!

Mahjongman

quality posts: 18 Private Messages Mahjongman

This is in danger of starting a completely different version of The Village People. "Why does Bobby get to be the engineer again? He always gets to be the engineer!"

jenovanomusuko

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenovanomusuko

I'm going to be a jerk about this shirt, because I feel that rather than identifying the nerd, it identifies the guy who plays old videogames and DnD, and thinks that pi and a compass means math.

Half a pair of glasses for a D? Horrible idea. You could have gone with 1337 or something. Look at how many people don't get what it is, for starters, and not just nerds wear glasses. I've seen hipsters and regular people sporting thick-rimmed glasses more and more lately. If it's supposed to be a broken pair of glasses, that's even worse.

Pi? I'm sick of the ratio Pi being used as an emblem for "nerds" everywhere. Fifth graders know what it means. Probably second graders these days. You should have used a capital Pi in product notation: it would look more like an N, and it would mean you probably actually took a math class rather than playing N64 and DnD all day.

While I'm bashing your math, go with something more serious than a compass. Put the R programming language logo or something. You can't say that you didn't because it belongs to a company because you used an N64 controller.

Speaking of the N64 controller, you had that *and* a D20, doubling up on games while ignoring physics, chemistry, and computers.

I'll know whenever I see someone wearing this shirt that they really wish they were a nerd but don't quite know what a nerd is.

MasterChifa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MasterChifa

Wow, that took a while. Thought it said "nero" at first, then I thought the pi was supposed to be a "p" and the 64 controller was maybe an "n"... nope, must really be "nero", but that doesn't really line up with the title... Didn't get "nerd" until I read comments. Needs some work.

fluffhead67

quality posts: 2 Private Messages fluffhead67

it looks kind like it spells out "Head"

i have no doubt i'm a geek but i may not be a full fledged nerd cuz.....i don't geeeet it.

Bac95

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bac95

Agree with the "hero" thing. FAIL (nice try though)

jenovanomusuko

PohTayToez wrote:Everyone, please stop calling it a protractor. It's a drafting compass.

HAHAHA how could anyone think that is a protractor?

If you made it through high school geometry without seeing one of those, that's a real problem...

jenovanomusuko

colinm09 wrote:For years, the bizarre design of the N64 controller puzzled me (who has three arms???)...but it all makes sense now! It was part of a code left for the true nerds to decipher.

true nerds my @$$...

Gaines

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Gaines

I agree that the design is not as clean and clear as it should be. Nice idea, but not well implemented enough for me to justify. The D20 seems like an afterthought and isn't very well illustrated. Hopefully someone will create a cleaner one that says Geek (as it portrays the intellectual aspect without lack of social skills).

unixrab

quality posts: 10 Private Messages unixrab

oh god.... it spells nero or perd

Nero was crazy,

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Bags of Crap = 3 ------> woot 3.0 is DEAD!!!!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation

Needs more bunnies.

jazzjunkie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jazzjunkie
xazothia wrote:I can only read this as "Pi-erd".

I agree - alternately "perd" or "pero"

docsbear

quality posts: 3 Private Messages docsbear
SaintWacko wrote:I've got an old Atari Lynx system I found at a flea market. And a manual for an Atari XL (don't remember the model number)

I've still got my old Intelevision and love teaching my kids about "Burger Time" and "Stampede"

13th_Disciple

quality posts: 1 Private Messages 13th_Disciple
PohTayToez wrote:Everyone, please stop calling it a protractor. It's a drafting compass.

Geometric Compass, actually.

pfgannon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pfgannon
KittyPryde wrote:Exactly, *everyone* owned an N64. It's not just the nerds, it's everyone. While nobody owns a Neo Geo, except the hardcores. You also may be hard pressed to find a Saturn owner. Or the 32x.

How about the gaming taco phone?

Worms for Saturn was the s***!

Sokudoningyou

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Sokudoningyou

'eh, I'd rather a "Geek" shirt than "Nerd," as the latter implies something even more pathetic. Despite the designer being from WI, I must pass.

TheWootSpeed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TheWootSpeed

Lol it's funny. Such stimulating and intellectual conversations being had in this comment area.

Can't wait until I get the shirt. It's pretty cool, oxymoron. <3

PohTayToez

13th_Disciple wrote:Geometric Compass, actually.

Why? I'm not sure there's a difference, likely just two names for the same object.

AdderXYU

bassanimation wrote:Needs more bunnies.

needs more not being sold.

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
PohTayToez wrote:Why? I'm not sure there's a difference, likely just two names for the same object.

A compass is a compass.

If they be two, they are two so
As stiff twin compasses are two ;
Thy soul, the fix'd foot, makes no show
To move, but doth, if th' other do.

And though it in the centre sit,
Yet, when the other far doth roam,
It leans, and hearkens after it,
And grows erect, as that comes home.

Such wilt thou be to me, who must,
Like th' other foot, obliquely run ;
Thy firmness makes my circle just,
And makes me end where I begun.

(WOOO JOHN DONNE)

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

foureight

quality posts: 0 Private Messages foureight
jenovanomusuko wrote:
While I'm bashing your math, go with something more serious than a compass. Put the R programming language logo or something. You can't say that you didn't because it belongs to a company because you used an N64 controller.

The day that woot has a shirt with any reference to R is the day I buy 3 of them everyday for a week. The thought also made me so enthralled I had to post a comment.

As helpful feedback to the designer, I also had no idea what the "D" was, which is why I came into the comments -- to find out. It looked like an oddly shaped sideways toaster, such as a Brave Little Toaster

except someone had melted him on the side.

I agree that this design is not original to me, and confuses/gets wrong a lot of the references. Additionally, I'm a nerd and $\pi$ is...ugh, played out. For the past 5 years played out. That's feedback for woot. If I'm going to buy a nerd shirt, it better be innovative.

Earlysong

quality posts: 21 Private Messages Earlysong

Too many nerd shirts lately. I loved Cake or Pi, but the Nerdish by Nature was only so-so and it's too soon to have another one of these "Look at me flaunting my rudimentary nerd-like characteristics" type things.

I love this website! ^^

diehardferret

quality posts: 0 Private Messages diehardferret
Earlysong wrote:Too many nerd shirts lately. I loved Cake or Pi, but the Nerdish by Nature was only so-so and it's too soon to have another one of these "Look at me flaunting my rudimentary nerd-like characteristics" type things.

I completely agree with you, I'm a physics major and even I have to honestly say that sometime's I'd like to be able to find more not "look at me, nerdism is cool now!" shirts. And they always seem to revolve around the same theme of merely labeling you and not really saying anything about who you are. I want some depth. I liked the derby that was celebrating the events of 2009.

bassanimation

AdderXYU wrote:needs more not being sold.

Needs more lightening up.

bassanimation

Earlysong wrote:Too many nerd shirts lately. I loved Cake or Pi, but the Nerdish by Nature was only so-so and it's too soon to have another one of these "Look at me flaunting my rudimentary nerd-like characteristics" type things.

But nerd is the new chic!

Now if only the shirt had enough power to bring a Kelly leBrock robot to life. She could then teach us all to be -really- chic.

LeaderDesslock

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LeaderDesslock
xazothia wrote:I can only read this as "Pi-erd".

Def! at best, this reads "Perd"

Victuum Invideo Silenti