2%
1%
0%
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

colinm09

quality posts: 70 Private Messages colinm09

Unfortunately, the laws won. Darn you robotic programming!

-Matt Colin

chrisprender

quality posts: 312 Private Messages chrisprender

Rarely do you see a robot with such snazzy boots. Well done, Mr. Zettwoch.

vixro

quality posts: 8 Private Messages vixro

Thoroughly confused.

contraba55

quality posts: 1 Private Messages contraba55

For the uninitiated:

1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey any orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law

StargateGamingGeek

quality posts: 14 Private Messages StargateGamingGeek

They eat old people's medicine for fuel.

Once they grab you with those metal claws you can't break free, because they are made of metal, and robots are strong.

colinm09

quality posts: 70 Private Messages colinm09

I would have posted the laws, but it seems like everyone else has already done it.

-Matt Colin

jpwmeta

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jpwmeta

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Laws_of_Robotics

In science fiction, the Three Laws of Robotics are a set of three rules written by Isaac Asimov, which almost all positronic robots appearing in his fiction must obey. Introduced in his 1942 short story "Runaround", although foreshadowed in a few earlier stories, the Laws state the following:

1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey any orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Edit: someone beat me to it

StargateGamingGeek

quality posts: 14 Private Messages StargateGamingGeek

Alternate time to wear this shirt: When the metal ones come for you, and they will.

aoviss

quality posts: 23 Private Messages aoviss

Why do you people think Isaac Asimov corners the market on "The Robotic Laws"?

I hate the shirt, by the way. Its a visual explosion

goatcrapp

quality posts: 16 Private Messages goatcrapp

heh - clever. love the asimov reference.

skatimmy737

quality posts: 207 Private Messages skatimmy737

I thought he already killed the bossy human. Perhaps everyone is bald and has beards in the future.

tonysterrett

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tonysterrett

i'm not sure if this has been said yet, but the laws are as follows.... (just kidding BTW)

3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

KaylaJ

quality posts: 22 Private Messages KaylaJ

looks like he's about to shoot the sheriff

lmarchae

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lmarchae

This shirt would probably be good for the planet of robots in Futurama, if they wore clothes.

"Lightspeed's too slow. We'll have to go straight to...LUDICROUS SPEED!!!"

Individual items: | w: 11 | sh.w: 37 | so.w: 1 | wi.w: 6 |

tonysterrett

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tonysterrett
KaylaJ wrote:looks like he's about to shoot the sheriff

He may have shot the sheriff, but he didn't shoot the deputy.

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12

Oh man, this made me laugh out loud. Excellent joke and art

paulkremer

quality posts: 4 Private Messages paulkremer

So in this case, he fought the law, but the law didn't win...bad robot!

arilvdc

quality posts: 11 Private Messages arilvdc
tonysterrett wrote:He may have shot the sheriff, but he didn't shoot the deputy.

Hmmm...using the laws of Bacon (Kevin, that is), that's the Bob Marley song Will Smith was singing in I Am Legend. Will Smith also was in I, Robot, a movie about Asimov's laws. Coincidence? I think not.

Thus, I come to the conclusion that the robots are already subliminally affecting our minds through this shirt.

faughtey

quality posts: 20 Private Messages faughtey

Staff

1. Robot stomps dead guy.
2. Robot smokes a cig. while dead guy calls him (@#$%*!).
3. Robot with smoking gun sweats.

Yay! Good story!

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown

lonelypond

quality posts: 414 Private Messages lonelypond

Love the style; worried that the attitude might spread...

MissJamieD

quality posts: 44 Private Messages MissJamieD

The boots and the depiction of Law 3 being broken (or more exact, the very provocative way in which the robot is standing against the wall) has allowed me to deduce: This is a female robot!

This shirt is subliminally empowering women's rights (be they human or robotic). I can dig it!

dirkgently31

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dirkgently31

I need a new shirt. I will wear this when I am picking street fights in my leather jacket. It may also come in handy for wooing those Asimov groupies.

Now, if only we had a Foundation shirt...

P.S. Woot, if you have a sansa charging cable on the floor near my shirt order, please toss it in the package! I have two awesome Sansas that I have yet to use... they are orphaned with no charge/transfer cable :_(

Fanglekai

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Fanglekai

I like it. In for one.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation

I like how the robot seems to be rockin' old school tmnt kneepads..

Cool video, wish I could have been there!

tesla323

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tesla323

makes me wanna break out my scifi novel collection

Barzydlo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Barzydlo
aoviss wrote:Why do you people think Isaac Asimov corners the market on "The Robotic Laws"?

I hate the shirt, by the way. Its a visual explosion

Umm... well, I suppose it is because Isaac Asimov is the one who wrote and made famous the "Three Laws of Robotics" referenced on the shirt (and in several other posts).

the88thcrazy

quality posts: 10 Private Messages the88thcrazy

Shouldn't the third picture be of the robot with a gun to it's head, or jumping off a cliff or something?

Edit: I suppose the robot is smoking in the second picture; fair enough.

RetepAdam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RetepAdam

Easily the best joke on the page was "Don’t wear this shirt: In front of your Roomba. You don’t want that guy getting ideas."

I still have a picture of an iRobot Roomba box that I sent to a friend along with the caption "The sequel?"

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
RetepAdam wrote:Easily the best joke on the page was "Don’t wear this shirt: In front of your Roomba. You don’t want that guy getting ideas."

I still have a picture of an iRobot Roomba box that I sent to a friend along with the caption "The sequel?"

Roombas are soooo cute :D

Lachryma

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lachryma

That robot has some serious bug-eye going on. I like it.

weasalbalwarrior

quality posts: 7 Private Messages weasalbalwarrior

If the third law is to protect itself, and the robot is contradicting the laws of robotics, wouldn't it make more sense if the robot was hanging itself or something?

theicom

quality posts: 1 Private Messages theicom

This shirt is incomplete, and forgets the 0th law of robotics.

0th law:
"A robot may not injure humanity, or, through inaction, allow humanity to come to harm"

thrashpipe

quality posts: 1 Private Messages thrashpipe
bassanimation wrote:I like how the robot seems to be rockin' old school tmnt kneepads..

Cool video, wish I could have been there!

Wow loving these funny posts!!!! how about them Tighty whiteys?

marajad3

quality posts: 3 Private Messages marajad3

I'm pretty sure there were at least two other analog derbies.

shirt.woot 1st birthday party and shirt.woot 2nd birthday party

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

Having met and talked to Asimov a long time ago, I am sure he'd approve. He always had a bent sense of humor.

mcowles

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mcowles
weasalbalwarrior wrote:If the third law is to protect itself, and the robot is contradicting the laws of robotics, wouldn't it make more sense if the robot was hanging itself or something?

The third law is to protect oneself, UNLESS that contradicts one of the first two laws.

He's obviously running from the cops and thus, Humans are telling him to stop/surrender.

He's protecting himself, IN SPITE of the fact that he's 1) Hurting humans (smoking gun) and 2) Disobeying orders from humans (fleeing from the cops)

It's a very acceptible breaking of law three in two different ways at once. I would've been very disappointed if he just hung himself... also, if he did, you couldn't tell if a human told him to, just from the panel. This one is obvious that he's breaking it, without MUCH of a leap.

Aardvarki

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Aardvarki

I really, really, really like the concept of this shirt. I would definitely like to own a shirt like this one - Asimov is literally my favorite author and there is very little that interests me more than robots. That said, the execution on this shirt just ruins it for me. It's just too chaotic, and the actual message and concept just gets lost in the tornado of metal on the shirt. I like the style of the art and the robot himself looks totally wicked, but there's just too much going on to hold my attention. Plus, for the third law, he's hiding around a corner? Isn't laying low somehow protecting his own existence? Shouldn't he be charging at the cops, guns blazing? Or jumping off a rooftop to his death?

Maybe I'm nitpicking because I like Asimov too much. I want to push the button on this shirt because I want to own one like it... But I can't.

EDIT: Also, because after reading through this thread it seems like not as many people read Asimov as they should - If you think you like Asimov but have not yet read "The Last Question", I cannot more strongly recommend it. It is literally the best short story I have ever read in my life. It's a 15 minute read and is available in full on the internet. Please search for it and read it. You will not be sorry!

My Woot Counts
1 Sellout.woot
1 Wine.woot (Stupid PA Laws...)
9 Woots
17 Shirt.woots
1 Bandolier of Carrots (4/1/13, crappy contents)

Livinonedge

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Livinonedge

er...uh...i don't get it

8 Screaming Monkey
2 Bags of Crap
2 Woot-off lights
7 Woot Shirt

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby
Livinonedge wrote:er...uh...i don't get it

You totally should have gone with, "DOES NOT COMPUTE."

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.