majiksparkle


quality posts: 0 Private Messages majiksparkle
dysti wrote:congrats again ramyb. i am broke but love this design and i'm almost obligated to keep my ramyb collection growing.



I know, same here. I unapologetically voted for this shirt and happily bought it. I guess I just don't come to shirt.woot for my art fix. And I like cutesy shirts.

Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog it's too dark to read.

pinnette


quality posts: 1 Private Messages pinnette

-1 sale because of your write up.

Tuesday was a wonderful day for irony and justice. Turnout wasn't low(to the person who tried to blame the glorious result on rain). Massachusetts voted on the side of 65% of the country.

Wine.woot should be selling sour grapes rather than pistachios tonight.

kimvy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kimvy
AdderXYU wrote:I am all for taxes. Because that is EXACTLY where healthcare, and education, and the mail, and any one of a million great things we have in our society, come from. I am against the idea that anyone should be exempt from paying their fair share. That's a common misconception among those of so and so's persuasion. But that's all moot anyway. We won't be getting any health care at all if Brown gets his way.

Nothing is "free", no. But when every other civilized country has better health care than we do for dramatically less out-of-pocket, it is a sin that any human being believes that is not a better way to go than our current 30-or-so place on the healthcare issue



Like I said, I live in Canada and work in health care and there's good and bad. I'd hesitate to say that it's better than your system. Just that your system needs a bit of an overhaul. You have too many people to have a full out "free" system. You really don't want an eight month wait for an MRI like there is here (and because of your population you'd probably be looking at a year). Eventually, we are going to get a two-tiered system *because* of the major issues with universal health care. There are always going to be inequities. The pragmatic person accepts that and tries to make the inequities acceptable. ;)

I do hope it works out for you folks.

docsbear


quality posts: 3 Private Messages docsbear
It is pretty comparable, though. Much like Ramy's derby wins, Brown won in Mass because who is gonna go out on a disgusting cold rainy day in the middle of january for an election. But the hardcore zealots who don't care about the country at large but only about getting what they want and blocking actual worthwhile ideas will ALWAYS turn out. So while the majority of Mass is not happy about the outcome, the minority that did vote had a majority that disagreed.

But yeah, as others have said, if woot has an issue, they can man up and change things.



It seems to me that it is the ones who care about the country are the ones who are going to make it to the polls, no matter what. The ones who stayed home and whined about the weather apparently don't care enough to try.

Solonari


quality posts: 4 Private Messages Solonari
dysti wrote:i disagree completely. i've found that since passing 15 they've gotten exponentially more entertaining every time i get on.


Can also bring a new meaning to the term "ride sharing" once you're old enough. ;-)

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
docsbear wrote:It seems to me that it is the ones who care about the country are the ones who are going to make it to the polls, no matter what. The ones who stayed home and whined about the weather apparently don't care enough to try.



I don't disagree that the ones who stayed home didn't care enough. I do disagree that the ones that went out did. they care about their own self interest, not the country. Massachusetts is a state of independents. They voted GOP because the dems aren't delivering (despite the GOP being the reason the dems can't deliver). they will likely switch again when they realize that side is no better.

But the fact is that the casual voter stayed home, or forgot, or whatever, while the passionate ones went forth. It's just a matter of when you consider passion to be positive, and when it is negative. When it is against what the majority of the world wants, it is probably negative. there is no majority against healthcare. there is a majority against the current bill, perhaps, but what we've apparently forgotten is that for all the wimpiness of the Democratic party, it is the republicans which made the bill so weak. Way to vote in an extra one. That'll REALLY solve things.

What we need, as a country, is a group of intelligent people who are not hamstrung by ideologies beyond what is best for us all. But since we can only work in a two-party system, I'd rather support the guys who are willing to TRY to improve things, instead of the puritanical inhumans who only want to maintain the status quo, except where it benefits hyperevangelical horrorshows and insanely rich gladhanders. anything they can do to make things better for the rich and christian, let's do it, even if it stomps basic human rights.

And when brought to woot, again, the majority will always go for a small group of horrible options. It doesn't make the choice good.

And to the canuck... our system needs a huge overhaul, yes. But the side that just got a bolstering is not for ANY overhaul. They want to kill it where it lies.

redwolfoz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages redwolfoz

I was about to buy it, but then realised it wasn't black. Navy? Who the hell makes a navy shirt? Massive fail!

whocares1500


quality posts: 0 Private Messages whocares1500

Reminds me of A Man Comes Around by Johnny Cash.

docsbear


quality posts: 3 Private Messages docsbear
AdderXYU wrote:I don't disagree that the ones who stayed home didn't care enough. I do disagree that the ones that went out did.



What kind of a bassackwards statement is this? Obviously, you will talk circles around anything until you can make it fit into your peephole to the world.

It is not that all Republicans are against health care reform, they just aren't happy with the option currently on the table. I know I don't like it. If this thing goes through I will, most likely, lose my retired military benefits and a good lot of my disabiltiy. "Oh, it was in your contract? Sorry." Shrug, shrug. That is how I feel the current administration is treating me. But no matter what passes, there are going to be a lot of unhappy people. That is what happens anytime you have more the 1 person involved in any major decision.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
docsbear wrote:What kind of a bassackwards statement is this? Obviously, you will talk circles around anything until you can make it fit into your peephole to the world.

It is not that all Republicans are against health care reform, they just aren't happy with the option currently on the table. I know I don't like it. If this thing goes through I will, most likely, lose my retired military benefits and a good lot of my disabiltiy. "Oh, it was in your contract? Sorry." Shrug, shrug. That is how I feel the current administration is treating me. But no matter what passes, there are going to be a lot of unhappy people. That is what happens anytime you have more the 1 person involved in any major decision.



so you're saying that maybe in some decisions, having a whole bunch of people decide is a bad thing? Man, sounds like that might especially apply to smaller scale operations like a contest on a shirt site!

mikenytola


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola

Did woot edit and censor it's own write up?

docsbear


quality posts: 3 Private Messages docsbear
AdderXYU wrote:so you're saying that maybe in some decisions, having a whole bunch of people decide is a bad thing? Man, sounds like that might especially apply to smaller scale operations like a contest on a shirt site!



That is not what I am saying, at all. I am saying that when ever you have a whole bunch of people vested in the outcome of something, you are never going to make all of them happy... NEVER. There is always going to be someone or more than one someones who are unhappy. Welcome to real life.

xazothia


quality posts: 54 Private Messages xazothia
mikenytola wrote:Did woot edit and censor it's own write up?



what gives you that impression? it's reading the same now as it did when it first went up, as far as I can see.

docsbear


quality posts: 3 Private Messages docsbear
mikenytola wrote:Did woot edit and censor it's own write up?



I see no difference.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
docsbear wrote:That is not what I am saying, at all. I am saying that when ever you have a whole bunch of people vested in the outcome of something, you are never going to make all of them happy... NEVER. There is always going to be someone or more than one someones who are unhappy. Welcome to real life.



If there is always going to be someone unhappy, I say we go for what is best from a meaningful standpoint. For example, it's meaningful to provide more and better options for people. Whether that means in health or design. And believe it or not, in both cases, a major overhaul will benefit everyone, even if people continually and ignorantly campaign for keeping a flawed status-quo. Sometimes people are angry because they're severely misinformed. Those people should not be catered to, unless by handing them a pamphlet outlining the truth.

isparabola


quality posts: 8 Private Messages isparabola

The write up is depressing.

I rather woot just stop acknowledging the fact this is stupid.


Then I wouldn't be as mad when they do absolutely nothing about it.

cakeninjak


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cakeninjak
mpittman17 wrote:Am I the only one surprised the kickass Mario shirt didn't win 1st? Hoping to see it soon...



Probably.

cakeninjak


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cakeninjak

The write up is a winner. I approve. It's almost enough for me to forgive the fact that this design took first.


Almost.

MissJamieD


quality posts: 44 Private Messages MissJamieD

The flames, where are they coming from (and I know I'm not the only one so perplexed)?!
Is it that death set things on fire himself?
Was it showers of meteor fireballs?
Or, perhaps, are those the flames of Hades peeking from its depths?

And if it was Mr. Reaper (complete with Blue Oyster Cult themage), did anyone see a lighter laying about?

MissJamieD


quality posts: 44 Private Messages MissJamieD

And.. Where are his FEET?! Not even a little toe peeking from the bottom of the cape?

Clearly, I see (beneath the horse's face) the standard bars where one puts their feet. They are indeed unoccupied.

Conclusion: this is one short reaper that(assuming from historical depictions)goes through one MAJOR growth spurt! I propose that his hypothalamus is abnormal, or his anterior pituitary.

RukasuFox


quality posts: 0 Private Messages RukasuFox
AdderXYU wrote:If there is always going to be someone unhappy, I say we go for what is best from a meaningful standpoint. For example, it's meaningful to provide more and better options for people. Whether that means in health or design. And believe it or not, in both cases, a major overhaul will benefit everyone, even if people continually and ignorantly campaign for keeping a flawed status-quo. Sometimes people are angry because they're severely misinformed. Those people should not be catered to, unless by handing them a pamphlet outlining the truth.



And who's to decide what is "better"? Or who is "misinformed"? The 'intellectual elite' or something as nebulous? Besides, just because the status-quo is flawed doesn't mean that any change is a good change.

By definition better options are better, and more options allow us to make more individuals happy than anything that is 'one size fits all', but there are economic realities that must be taken into account. Democracy isn't flawed; it does what it is supposed to do. Maybe it isn't the best system, but from a purely pragmatic stand-point it does provide for the greater good of society, since greater is defined by the majority. Woot should stay as it is.

BorisTheSpyder


quality posts: 0 Private Messages BorisTheSpyder
annahennlich wrote:agreed... heads over to wine.woot!



Where you can buy... pistachios! You can totally drink those, right?

Koniro


quality posts: 6 Private Messages Koniro

I haven't loved a shirt since that vitamin C orange pirate shirt. That was almost two years ago.

Love. It.

ChefRAZ


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ChefRAZ

this shirt tell the world "i love mindless drivel"

woopace


quality posts: 0 Private Messages woopace

I think it would be much cooler if he was on a scary looking carousel horse instead of this but I still like it.

Feeferscat


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Feeferscat

Odd question but does Woot test print the shirts at all, i'd be really worried that it's just too dark to show up (but then I have pretty bad eyesight >.>)

Signatures? I don't believe in them...

Smoothesuede


quality posts: 9 Private Messages Smoothesuede

The political talk is annoying me.

And maybe I'm the only one, but I read the write-up in a way that sympathizes with ramyb. It sounded to me like woot was saying "You don't have to like it. He got the votes. Just shut up, deal, and try again next week."

It humbled me, seeing as how I've taken stance with Adder and mrwednesday and others on many an occasion. It seems to me that woot just wants a simple shirt design contest with voted winners and good times. In that case, anything beyond that, like bitterness and should've-beens, must certainly grind on woot's nerves.

I might be wrong, though. Wouldn't be the first time. And for the record, I don't like this shirt, didn't vote for it, and am tired of the overused themes offered by it... Just before I get dragged into something...

Reawen


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Reawen

Ha, money writeup.

Regarding the shirt, though: Beyond the usual ramyb complaints of chibi drawings, this really doesn't feel nightmarish to me. In fact, I think it accomplishes an opposite feeling. I get that there's random fire and dying things on the surrounding ground, but to me, it's just death showing an unexpected cutesy side, wanting to play on a child's toy. Which subsequently removes any scary quality from death. It's like:
"Ah! Oh, no, scary death! Run away... oh... wait... no, he's just a little kid. Nevermind, not scary at all."

multiplesanta


quality posts: 0 Private Messages multiplesanta

Was going to add this to my shirt.woot collection, but then I read the description. Sorry, ramyb--particularly if it's woot that writes 'em.

Coelli


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Coelli

"Product narratives are for entertainment purposes and frequently employ literary point of view; the narratives do not express Woot's editorial opinion."

That writeup sure sounded like an opinion to me!

leaps into the vacuum to live in MA right now (which I do). Guess I'm just "up a creek," right woot?

I'll get over the writeup (my love of woot shirts will probably help) but I'm sorry to see woot use what's a pretty serious issue for a lot of us to rub salt in the wounds of some members of their community, accomplishing a double dose for some of us. Reminding us that we need to suck it up when we already are? Gee, thanks!

Kind of feeling like maybe politics and woot writeups shouldn't mix. You can't not piss someone off, so as a business, just don't go there, please.

multiplesanta


quality posts: 0 Private Messages multiplesanta
AdderXYU wrote:I am all for taxes. Because that is EXACTLY where healthcare, and education, and the mail, and any one of a million great things we have in our society, come from. I am against the idea that anyone should be exempt from paying their fair share. That's a common misconception among those of so and so's persuasion. But that's all moot anyway. We won't be getting any health care at all if Brown gets his way.

Nothing is "free", no. But when every other civilized country has better health care than we do for dramatically less out-of-pocket, it is a sin that any human being believes that is not a better way to go than our current 30-or-so place on the healthcare issue



Which country are you in? The United States Postal Service isn't funded by taxes, it makes it's money off those rectangular little stickers people put on envelopes.

I would also like to point out that you said our education system, as well as our healthcare, is "great".

Furthermore, I pine for the day you become the "Grand Arbiter of Fair". Maybe then the top 1% of people can stop paying for 40% of the total tax revenue in this country.

artulo


quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo

hahahahahahahahahahaha

*cough* *sputter* *gag*

I am highly amused.

That is all.

Pufferfishy


quality posts: 38 Private Messages Pufferfishy

{whew} and here I though, logging in at 7:00am Eastern, that I'd be too early for the Ramyb hate machine to be under full steam, only to find that there's a bonus liberal-biased political hate machine cranking all the way to 11.

Brown won, suck it losers. If the State of MA was so afraid of change they should have exercised their right and voted. Blaming the loss on the weather? Priceless liberalism. I went out and voted on a special election when it was 13 below and a blizzard, in March. Members of the liberal crowd need to mix some meat with that tofu & sprout wrap and buy a fur coat - makes climate change much more tolerable.

Brilliant analogy today Woot writers - simply brilliant.

You've been put on posting probation for this post

Coelli


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Coelli
Pufferfishy wrote:
Brown won, suck it losers. If the State of MA was so afraid of change they should have exercised their right and voted.



Many of us did and our candidate still lost. How about
you stop gloating and calling people losers?

Way to open a can of worms with that writeup, woot, seriously. What were you thinking?!

longtimegone


quality posts: 0 Private Messages longtimegone

I was actually going to buy the shirt until I read the commentary...what is usually completely fun and random definitely had a political slant today. BOOooo

kcman011


quality posts: 5 Private Messages kcman011
jmmbell1987 wrote:Given that this is Ramyb's 184171th print, I sincerely doubt he cares what woot says about him at this point so long as he keeps getting prints. Hell, I wouldn't care and I'm not even an artist.



Wow, I'm amazed at how many people misinterpreted the write-up. Woot wasn't poking fun at ramyb, it was poking fun at all the drivel that continues to pelt ramyb's threads for his designs in the derby. The same tired things are being said each and every time ramyb has a design posted and woot is basically saying, 'he gets votes, he wins, get over it.'

I don't think woot should have compared it to the Massachusetts Senate race, though. Because in that instance the minority won. Unless woot is suggesting that they're gonna let the minority win in this instance, too. I wouldn't have any problem with that. Then, hopefully, more of the things I want will print...although I did like Defrost.

genericsmith


quality posts: 15 Private Messages genericsmith

Maybe the horse is meant to represent Elvis... It OBVIOUSLY has the king's hair... It's all white much like the jumpsuits he used to wear.

He was also terrified of Lil' kid Grim Reapers.

It's true.

Munchy Attack If you can find the name of this artist & real song title I'll buy you a daily woot shirt (your choice what day)

Dystopia Dark Lager, Where the Wild Parties at?, B.A. Bearacus, and many more wanted in XXL(PLEASE!!!)
Edgar Allen Poe shall remained headlock'd until Nevermore is reckoned.

swtdrmzx99x


quality posts: 0 Private Messages swtdrmzx99x
"This shirt tells the world: Democracy is flawed."



As much as everyone is saying that Ramyb's design should have gotten rejected, and as much as Woot themselves are saying poor designs shouldn't win, he still won out of votes. If Woot really does not like this, they should have rejected it. I've seen rejections that just plain give the reason "Nope." with no explanation. Yet he did not get rejected. Why? Maybe because Woot knows they can make some cash off this design and Ramyb's fanbase.

I think the real quote here should be "This shirt tells the world: Capitalism is flawed."

idontkn1


quality posts: 4 Private Messages idontkn1

After rereading the copy, it wasn't nearly as politically biased as I thought it was last night. It just pokes fun at the posters who get all worked up over a freaking design contest on a t shirt website and then try to extrapolate that to real world elections. People get a life, and just because you are smarter and know more and have better taste doesn't mean that you should be deciding for everyone else. Amazing what sleep does to mental clarity.

meep116


quality posts: 1 Private Messages meep116
Feeferscat wrote:Odd question but does Woot test print the shirts at all, i'd be really worried that it's just too dark to show up (but then I have pretty bad eyesight >.>)



Exactly my question. Regardless of the design's artistic quality, I would like to know about this. I don't know how much I can trust the shirts to stay (or look to begin with) like the posted image. Sometimes the colors all fade into the background after a few washes since they are too close in color to the shirt's color.