februarystar27


quality posts: 0 Private Messages februarystar27
AdderXYU wrote:I don't disagree that the ones who stayed home didn't care enough. I do disagree that the ones that went out did. they care about their own self interest, not the country. Massachusetts is a state of independents. They voted GOP because the dems aren't delivering (despite the GOP being the reason the dems can't deliver). they will likely switch again when they realize that side is no better.



This Democratic-voting girl from Massachusetts absolutely loved today's writeup. I'm also a registered independent, and so is most of my family, but at least in my mind, "independent" doesn't necessarily equal "moderate" or "undecided." I always always vote liberal/Dem, I just didn't want to tie myself down to their party. So yeah, most MA voters are registered independents, but at least some of us are "sometimes too liberal even for the Dems" indies rather than "undecided" indies.

Tuesday's election was also marred by the fact that Coakley ran a horrible campaign. I wish it didn't matter what sort of campaign someone ran, but it sadly does seem to matter. And it was difficult to find her likeable for some reason. Again, shouldn't matter, but apparently it does matter. I think the election was won on those moderate Dems who just couldn't get past her unlikeability and voted Republican when normally they'd vote Democrat. But I have no idea how Coakley won the primary so strongly. I didn't vote for her in the primary, so I have no idea what caused people to shift on her so much between November and now.

RaveDroid


quality posts: 15 Private Messages RaveDroid
AdderXYU wrote:I am against the idea that anyone should be exempt from paying their fair share.



So from this single statement I can basically gather that either you're living on wellfare, or you're admitting to being a socialist. That's one step away from being communist, you know.

People with absurd "equality" ideas such as this are the reason we now have inexplicable problems riddling this once-great, once-capitalist nation.

If you can read this, yourᅠbrowser'sᅠCompatibilityᅠsettings
areᅠconfiguredᅠcorrectly.ᅠᅠツ

lostnightsoul


quality posts: 10 Private Messages lostnightsoul

Rather depressing comment board today. I didn't like this design, mostly because it was dark, and not much of a nightmare if you ask me. The artist didn't come to mind at all.

I wished that Wolves in the Backyard made it, as well as that purple The Count with sheep shirt made it too.

Yes I did vote, and more than likely will in the future. I will say though that I'm getting a tad disenchanted.

Makes kind of wish I bought that Apathy shirt a while back. Maybe there should be an apathy derby. Oh, just nevermind.

yellowfrog


quality posts: 0 Private Messages yellowfrog

Just stay away from politics, Woot, would you?

alphawolf0990


quality posts: 0 Private Messages alphawolf0990

I'm sorry, but that was by far the worst write up that I have ever seen on this site. I can understand that different people have their opinions, but please don't push your political agenda on Woot, it's the wrong venue for that sort of thing.
I mean really! We have political agendas being driven down our throats from so many places that when I come to Woot to escape the "bull", I just want to see a great shirt that makes me laugh a little. Now you've deprived us all of that. Shame on you.

multiplesanta


quality posts: 0 Private Messages multiplesanta
februarystar27 wrote:This Democratic-voting girl from Massachusetts absolutely loved today's writeup. I'm also a registered independent, and so is most of my family, but at least in my mind, "independent" doesn't necessarily equal "moderate" or "undecided." I always always vote liberal/Dem, I just didn't want to tie myself down to their party. So yeah, most MA voters are registered independents, but at least some of us are "sometimes too liberal even for the Dems" indies rather than "undecided" indies.

Tuesday's election was also marred by the fact that Coakley ran a horrible campaign. I wish it didn't matter what sort of campaign someone ran, but it sadly does seem to matter. And it was difficult to find her likeable for some reason. Again, shouldn't matter, but apparently it does matter. I think the election was won on those moderate Dems who just couldn't get past her unlikeability and voted Republican when normally they'd vote Democrat. But I have no idea how Coakley won the primary so strongly. I didn't vote for her in the primary, so I have no idea what caused people to shift on her so much between November and now.



You're not a "Democratic-voting girl", you're a Democrat. If you "always" vote for Democrats, you're a Democrat. Get over it. You're already "tied down" to a party, you just don't want to admit it.

People that say "I'm independent/libertarian, but I always vote Democrat/Republican" are in denial. Either support other candidates that more closely resemble your views, or change your friggin' registration.

Oh, and you obviously didn't vote in the primary... because you couldn't.

RaveDroid


quality posts: 15 Private Messages RaveDroid

Isn't this an image directly out of the title sequence for Terminator 2- Judgment Day? Because I can distinctly hear the Terminator theme when I look at it.

....Sweet

If you can read this, yourᅠbrowser'sᅠCompatibilityᅠsettings
areᅠconfiguredᅠcorrectly.ᅠᅠツ

brandonrjackson


quality posts: 0 Private Messages brandonrjackson
Smoothesuede wrote:The political talk is annoying me.

And maybe I'm the only one, but I read the write-up in a way that sympathizes with ramyb. It sounded to me like woot was saying "You don't have to like it. He got the votes. Just shut up, deal, and try again next week."



I TOTALLY agree... i thought the writer was using an enormous amount of wit to play both sides of the spectrum, and the fact that this happened THIS WEEK.... the stars were aligned.

If ramyb cheats, that is unfortunate (karma will eventually catch him). I am still buying one because I like the design (and the poster who talked about the creaking noise really made me think this is scarier then we are giving it credit for...), and because I enjoy visual ironies (short reaper, toy horse, navy on an "obviously" black design)...

And I must be the "second" only one who wanted Mario again....

februarystar27


quality posts: 0 Private Messages februarystar27
multiplesanta wrote:You're not a "Democratic-voting girl", you're a Democrat. If you "always" vote for Democrats, you're a Democrat. Get over it. You're already "tied down" to a party, you just don't want to admit it.

People that say "I'm independent/libertarian, but I always vote Democrat/Republican" are in denial. Either support other candidates that more closely resemble your views, or change your friggin' registration.

Oh, and you obviously didn't vote in the primary... because you couldn't.



Not true. I'm not a complete 100% Democrat. I stay independent because I'm more left-leaning than the average Democrats. I don't like the idea of aligning myself with a party because then it feels like I have to accept their basic party line, when sometimes I diverge from it (to the left). But I vote for the Dems because even when I disagree with them they're much much closer to my line of thinking than the Republicans.

And yes you can vote in the primary as an independent. I could have voted in either one. They asked me which ballot I wanted and I took the Democratic one. And I voted for Mike Capuano. So I definitely voted.

jashobeam


quality posts: 1 Private Messages jashobeam

a seashell growing out of your horses head is nighmarey.

RaveDroid


quality posts: 15 Private Messages RaveDroid
multiplesanta wrote:You're not a "Democratic-voting girl", you're a Democrat. If you "always" vote for Democrats, you're a Democrat. Get over it. You're already "tied down" to a party, you just don't want to admit it.

People that say "I'm independent/libertarian, but I always vote Democrat/Republican" are in denial. Either support other candidates that more closely resemble your views, or change your friggin' registration.

Oh, and you obviously didn't vote in the primary... because you couldn't.



Haha! Ownage... Thank you for your comments, someone needs to say it and you are definitely spot-on and I really appreciate seeing that (yes even unexpectedly on Woot).
I'm independent but 3rd party candidates are not allowed where I live, so I DON'T EVEN VOTE. I am hardcore like that.

If you can read this, yourᅠbrowser'sᅠCompatibilityᅠsettings
areᅠconfiguredᅠcorrectly.ᅠᅠツ

februarystar27


quality posts: 0 Private Messages februarystar27
RaveDroid wrote:Haha! Ownage... Thank you for your comments, someone needs to say it and you are definitely spot-on and I really appreciate seeing that (yes even unexpectedly on Woot).
I'm independent but 3rd party candidates are not allowed where I live, so I DON'T EVEN VOTE. I am hardcore like that.



or, you know, someone's beliefs could not 100% fit into either of the two main political parties or even the smaller parties, so they don't want to be identified with it, but then when it comes time to vote you have to go with the one who most closely resembles your line of thinking.

Smoothesuede


quality posts: 9 Private Messages Smoothesuede
alphawolf0990 wrote:I'm sorry, but that was by far the worst write up that I have ever seen on this site. I can understand that different people have their opinions, but please don't push your political agenda on Woot, it's the wrong venue for that sort of thing.
I mean really! We have political agendas being driven down our throats from so many places that when I come to Woot to escape the "bull", I just want to see a great shirt that makes me laugh a little. Now you've deprived us all of that. Shame on you.


How's it a political agenda? It's an analogy to wooters bitching too much. I don't see Woot providing any opinion on either stance, simply pointing out that there's a lesson to be learned somewhere within the parallel of these two seperate instances.

They basically said: For those of you who oppose the outcome, you're SOL. It happened.

They never said they were for or against something, especially since the entirety of the political side of the write-up was completely analogous to the Derby. They're saying to stop whining.

But, again, someone's going to tell me I'm wrong.

Jfusion


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Jfusion

The steed which death rides on is probably named Binky

aseptember


quality posts: 0 Private Messages aseptember

One of the best shirts I have seen since Zombie Candycorn. Great job!

RaveDroid


quality posts: 15 Private Messages RaveDroid
bassanimation wrote:I actually really like the background. It reminds me of the nice sunsets I used to see down in south Texas.



Um, you see a sunset?
Oh, those orangey cloud things. Those are actually the flaming atomic smoke-puffs that follow scorching apocalyptic doom - isn't it obvious?

Yep, there USED to be a city skyline back there.

NOW tell me this isnt a nightmare of a shirt.

If you can read this, yourᅠbrowser'sᅠCompatibilityᅠsettings
areᅠconfiguredᅠcorrectly.ᅠᅠツ

jlgish


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jlgish
jenml27 wrote:Exactly. In Massachusetts, the people spoke. If others didn't want him, they could have voted. End of story. TONS of people in this country are rejoicing over Brown's win. What a relief.



Ahhh . . . and that is where you are coming from. I think the woot writeup here was more tongue in cheek . . . it has more to do with the fact that folks will complain that things are unfair and somehow blame the winner, even if all was done fair and square. Looking throughout this site, there are always those people who complain that one person or a couple of people are always winning these derbies . . . It's sort of ridiculous that we would criticize and be angry at someone because they have some talent and a finger on the pulse of what woot-watchers want. Clearly, either this shirt was a strong favorite or there weren't any shirts in the derby worth giving two farts about . . . I think you can all decide for yourselves, but it's really not gaining anyone brownie points to seem like a whiner that is just mad because they didn't win.

I think I need to go on a Woot diet . . . it's unbelievable all the junk they get me to buy!

RaveDroid


quality posts: 15 Private Messages RaveDroid
februarystar27 wrote:or, you know, someone's beliefs could not 100% fit into either of the two main political parties or even the smaller parties, so they don't want to be identified with it, but then when it comes time to vote you have to go with the one who most closely resembles your line of thinking.



No no you're right about that, but that's why I absolutely don't vote unless there is someone in the runnings who I CAN agree with (rarely happens) on major issues.

But again, if you are obviously more aligned with the democratic party thinking (since you "always" vote a certain way) then it's not a stretch to say that you would be considered a liberal (or even "blue").

We need a restoration movement.

If you can read this, yourᅠbrowser'sᅠCompatibilityᅠsettings
areᅠconfiguredᅠcorrectly.ᅠᅠツ

DataHaunt


quality posts: 0 Private Messages DataHaunt
longtimegone wrote:I was actually going to buy the shirt until I read the commentary...what is usually completely fun and random definitely had a political slant today. BOOooo



Exactly. To quote the Woot rant:

"Massachusetts itself couldn’t take sides, just like we don’t take sides in our own derbies."

"You feel like it’s just more of the same, and that sometimes he doesn’t even pay attention to what the rules were supposed to be."

Sad that you post such bitter grapes over an election you obviously seem upset to loose.

Worse that you have to post this biased and quite frankly juvenile pouting rant.

I’m sure you will have plenty of people buy this shirt, but you have probably just turned off just as many to do business with you again.

Unless your product is specifically political, making it political will only cause upset.

Pity. It’s a nice shirt.

Nightshooter


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Nightshooter

Congrats on print. woot looks like its F in up right now, my page didn't load like it normally would and its a wierd layout. Is anyone elce haveing this problem? I ordered shirt but not sure if ittl work.

februarystar27


quality posts: 0 Private Messages februarystar27
RaveDroid wrote:No no you're right about that, but that's why I absolutely don't vote unless there is someone in the runnings who I CAN agree with (rarely happens) on major issues.

But again, if you are obviously more aligned with the democratic party thinking (since you "always" vote a certain way) then it's not a stretch to say that you would be considered a liberal (or even "blue").

We need a restoration movement.



I see where you're coming from. I do definitely consider myself liberal, just not (entirely) Democrat. If there WERE a third-party or indie candidate who I was more clearly aligned with, I'd vote for that person instead of the Dem, at least in local elections (in presidential elections it seems kind of self-defeating to do that with the way this system works). I used to not vote unless I entirely agreed with someone too, but lately my line of thinking has been "go with the one who if he HAD to win you'd rather see in office."

stingray69


quality posts: 4 Private Messages stingray69

scaffolding writeup Woot. I get what you're saying but despite any political leanings I might have, the only thing that would compare to what you describe there is how republicans must have felt for the last 47 years.

And take a closer at bobwiley's post. There is no book of the Bible titled "Revelations".

jlgish


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jlgish
Smoothesuede wrote:The political talk is annoying me.

And maybe I'm the only one, but I read the write-up in a way that sympathizes with ramyb. It sounded to me like woot was saying "You don't have to like it. He got the votes. Just shut up, deal, and try again next week."

It humbled me, seeing as how I've taken stance with Adder and mrwednesday and others on many an occasion. It seems to me that woot just wants a simple shirt design contest with voted winners and good times. In that case, anything beyond that, like bitterness and should've-beens, must certainly grind on woot's nerves.

I might be wrong, though. Wouldn't be the first time. And for the record, I don't like this shirt, didn't vote for it, and am tired of the overused themes offered by it... Just before I get dragged into something...



DITTO, DITTO, AND DITTO!! Spot on comment, and I could hug you for it!

I think I need to go on a Woot diet . . . it's unbelievable all the junk they get me to buy!

kinzoku


quality posts: 17 Private Messages kinzoku
annahennlich wrote:agreed... heads over to wine.woot!



No good, it's pistachios today! I can't get drunk off of pistachios!!

februarystar27


quality posts: 0 Private Messages februarystar27
kinzoku wrote:No good, it's pistachios today! I can't get drunk off of pistachios!!



I wish MA could get wine.woot deliveries. Every day on that site feels like pistachios day to me.

llandar


quality posts: 32 Private Messages llandar
Smoothesuede wrote:How's it a political agenda? It's an analogy to wooters bitching too much. I don't see Woot providing any opinion on either stance, simply pointing out that there's a lesson to be learned somewhere within the parallel of these two seperate instances.

They basically said: For those of you who oppose the outcome, you're SOL. It happened.

They never said they were for or against something, especially since the entirety of the political side of the write-up was completely analogous to the Derby. They're saying to stop whining.

But, again, someone's going to tell me I'm wrong.



Well I for one am going to tell you that you're RIGHT!

lostnightsoul


quality posts: 10 Private Messages lostnightsoul
aseptember wrote:One of the best shirts I have seen since Zombie Candycorn. Great job!



While I didn't like this shirt, I totally loved Zombie Candycorn so much that I bought too when the first one wears out! Now that shirt was awesome!

cleverconveyence


quality posts: 1 Private Messages cleverconveyence
RaveDroid wrote:So from this single statement I can basically gather that either you're living on wellfare, or you're admitting to being a socialist. That's one step away from being communist, you know.

People with absurd "equality" ideas such as this are the reason we now have inexplicable problems riddling this once-great, once-capitalist nation.



Were you being ironic, or are you genuinely lost? I'm sorry, but the right has become so loony that I honestly can't whether this is a joke or not.

Number of shirt.woots in 08: 23 (not counting randoms and shirts bought for friends)
number of shirt.woots in 09: 2 (same criteria)

D3lusional


quality posts: 2 Private Messages D3lusional

Why are people offended by the well done and topical satirical write up? It says nothing negative about the now senator and really just relates the facts through a possible democrat perspective. If anything the meaning behind the writeup is 'This is a democracy, the people voted so suck it up'. What am I missing?

RaveDroid


quality posts: 15 Private Messages RaveDroid
februarystar27 wrote:I see where you're coming from. I do definitely consider myself liberal, just not (entirely) Democrat. If there WERE a third-party or indie candidate who I was more clearly aligned with, I'd vote for that person instead of the Dem, at least in local elections (in presidential elections it seems kind of self-defeating to do that with the way this system works). I used to not vote unless I entirely agreed with someone too, but lately my line of thinking has been "go with the one who if he HAD to win you'd rather see in office."



What if I personally would rather not see any/either of the options in office? Voting then would just be setting myself up for being held accountable for when the country fails. I'd already given up on the 100% agreement quite some time ago and am actually more concerned with major issues, if you read what I said. If I can't vote for the people who I know have a vision to actually turn things around at least I know I'll be one of few who can say "this was not my decision, I had nothing to do with that failure" and I'd blame democracy.
lol

If you can read this, yourᅠbrowser'sᅠCompatibilityᅠsettings
areᅠconfiguredᅠcorrectly.ᅠᅠツ

RaveDroid


quality posts: 15 Private Messages RaveDroid
cleverconveyence wrote:Were you being ironic, or are you genuinely lost? I'm sorry, but the right has become so loony that I honestly can't whether this is a joke or not.



*grins*
Do you have a habit of resorting to personal insults, or do you have any other intellectual insight to offer?
Check your grammar next time too!

If you can read this, yourᅠbrowser'sᅠCompatibilityᅠsettings
areᅠconfiguredᅠcorrectly.ᅠᅠツ

knobblyknees


quality posts: 0 Private Messages knobblyknees

I posted during the derby that this reminds me of a recurring nightmare I had when I was a kid. There's another nightmare that I relive every time I go on the Indiana Jones ride at Disneyland. While in and of itself there's nothing really scary about this shirt (or the ride). What is scary is the visceral reactions of fear it creates in those who have had dreams with these characters or of similar images.

februarystar27


quality posts: 0 Private Messages februarystar27
RaveDroid wrote:What if I personally would rather not see any/either of the options in office? Voting then would just be setting myself up for being held accountable for when the country fails. I'd already given up on the 100% agreement quite some time ago and am actually more concerned with major issues, if you read what I said. If I can't vote for the people who I know have a vision to actually turn things around at least I know I'll be one of few who can say "this was not my decision, I had nothing to do with that failure" and I'd blame democracy.
lol



I think my tone may have come across as more argumentative than I'd intended, so I'm sorry if that's the case. I wasn't criticizing you for not voting--I have a friend from New Hampshire who does the same thing. I didn't vote in the 2000 presidential election (the first one I was old enough to vote in) because I couldn't really get behind either candidate, and I knew my state would go for Gore whether or not I voted. And I can sympathize with not liking any candidates. So if I sounded harsh at all I'm sorry. It's the whole tone-not-carrying-well-on-internet thing.

lawbeefaroni


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lawbeefaroni
brandonrjackson wrote: and because I enjoy visual ironies (short reaper, toy horse, navy on an "obviously" black design)...



That's not irony, that's a disappointing color choice.


ocdboy777


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ocdboy777

[quote postid="3735146" user="Smoothesuede"]The political talk is annoying me.

And maybe I'm the only one, but I read the write-up in a way that sympathizes with ramyb. It sounded to me like woot was saying "You don't have to like it. He got the votes. Just shut up, deal, and try again next week."

Exactly!

RaveDroid


quality posts: 15 Private Messages RaveDroid
februarystar27 wrote:I think my tone may have come across as more argumentative than I'd intended, so I'm sorry if that's the case. I wasn't criticizing you for not voting--I have a friend from New Hampshire who does the same thing. I didn't vote in the 2000 presidential election (the first one I was old enough to vote in) because I couldn't really get behind either candidate, and I knew my state would go for Gore whether or not I voted. And I can sympathize with not liking any candidates. So if I sounded harsh at all I'm sorry. It's the whole tone-not-carrying-well-on-internet thing.



No really it's quite alright, thanks for your honesty hehe. You don't project nearly as much animosity as others out here do and especially when politics is the issue - I think they all need to get more sleep lol.

If you can read this, yourᅠbrowser'sᅠCompatibilityᅠsettings
areᅠconfiguredᅠcorrectly.ᅠᅠツ

ocdboy777


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ocdboy777
brandonrjackson wrote:I TOTALLY agree... i thought the writer was using an enormous amount of wit to play both sides of the spectrum, and the fact that this happened THIS WEEK.... the stars were aligned.

If ramyb cheats, that is unfortunate (karma will eventually catch him). I am still buying one because I like the design (and the poster who talked about the creaking noise really made me think this is scarier then we are giving it credit for...), and because I enjoy visual ironies (short reaper, toy horse, navy on an "obviously" black design)...

And I must be the "second" only one who wanted Mario again....



Once again... Exactly how I read it.

cleverconveyence


quality posts: 1 Private Messages cleverconveyence
RaveDroid wrote:
Check your grammar next time too!



Also, I'm sure you can forgive me for leaving one word out, as it can't be that hard to fill in the blank. Hell, you took a complete sentence out of Adder's post and inserted all kinds of assumptions where there wasn't a blank!

Number of shirt.woots in 08: 23 (not counting randoms and shirts bought for friends)
number of shirt.woots in 09: 2 (same criteria)

RaveDroid


quality posts: 15 Private Messages RaveDroid
cleverconveyence wrote:Also, I'm sure you can forgive me for leaving one word out, as it can't be that hard to fill in the blank. Hell, you took a complete sentence out of Adder's post and inserted all kinds of assumptions where there wasn't a blank!



Sure it was easy to mentally fill in the blank in your post, but my thought is you didn't care enough to go back and fix it? Also there is a big difference between inserting assumptions and deducing from contextual information.

If you can read this, yourᅠbrowser'sᅠCompatibilityᅠsettings
areᅠconfiguredᅠcorrectly.ᅠᅠツ

yayro


quality posts: 2 Private Messages yayro
kimvy wrote:And
If this is the case, educate buyers link to info. If no one buys the shirt, it won't matter if it comes in 1st or 100th.



Unfortunately, that's not quite the case. The derby winner gets $1000 regardless of how many shirts sell. Even if no one buys the shirts, if the votes are there in the derby, the payout is there as well.

As for education, start here.