cleverconveyence


quality posts: 1 Private Messages cleverconveyence
RaveDroid wrote:Sure it was easy to mentally fill in the blank in your post, but my thought is you didn't care enough to go back and fix it? Also there is a big difference between inserting assumptions and deducing from contextual information.



There's really no point of going back to fix it if you've already quoted it.

And I realize there is a difference. But also realize there is something called "twisting an axiom."

Now is the perfect time to finally point out that none of the "deductions" you made were even remotely grounded in reality. So someone is against multi-billion dollar corporations using off-shore banking accounts/tax havens to get out of paying their fair share? That dirty socialist commie pinko welfare *****!

Number of shirt.woots in 08: 23 (not counting randoms and shirts bought for friends)
number of shirt.woots in 09: 2 (same criteria)

katekintail


quality posts: 0 Private Messages katekintail

Is it bad that I want this shirt just because I am a fan of Highlander: the series (and Methos in particular)?

RaveDroid


quality posts: 15 Private Messages RaveDroid
cleverconveyence wrote:
Now is the perfect time to finally point out that none of the "deductions" you made were even remotely grounded in reality. So someone is against multi-billion dollar corporations using off-shore banking accounts/tax havens to get out of paying their fair share? That dirty socialist commie pinko welfare *****!



It would be easier to take you seriously if you could conduct yourself with more civility, lol. The only reason I'm even keeping up the discussion is because I happen to like a few people on this forum, and I'd like for them to trust that I'm not intending to look for trouble. =]

Apparently you just had a different take on the idea than I did, because when I read "anyone" as quoted in the original post I was thinking individuals (such as myself), NOT "multi-billion dollar corporations," and given the context it would seem reasonable to deduce that. However it wouldn't bother me for Adder to step in at anytime and line us out on what was actually meant.

If you can read this, yourᅠbrowser'sᅠCompatibilityᅠsettings
areᅠconfiguredᅠcorrectly.ᅠᅠツ

darxlot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages darxlot

I really like this shirt.

I have read Revelations in the Bible numerous times. Seems to me this shirt represents the angel of death/grim reaper/pale horseman's worst nightmare. He is probably recalling his training for the End of Days as a youth.

Perhaps he fears the End of Days because he thinks he will fail like most children do at tasks they attempt for the first time.

skatimmy737


quality posts: 207 Private Messages skatimmy737

A humble beginning indeed!

cleverconveyence


quality posts: 1 Private Messages cleverconveyence
RaveDroid wrote:It would be easier to take you seriously if you could conduct yourself with more civility, lol.


However it wouldn't bother me for Adder to step in at anytime and line us out on what was actually meant.



Civility? You accused someone who you don't even know of being on "wellfare" and/or being a socialist without addressing ANY of the other points contained within the post.



And trust me, I'm waiting with bated ****ing breath.

Number of shirt.woots in 08: 23 (not counting randoms and shirts bought for friends)
number of shirt.woots in 09: 2 (same criteria)

mrjag123


quality posts: 2 Private Messages mrjag123

disappointed - voted for every shirt in the top twenty except for two...must have left some dangling chads or something

ocdboy777


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ocdboy777
Smoothesuede wrote:How's it a political agenda? It's an analogy to wooters bitching too much. I don't see Woot providing any opinion on either stance, simply pointing out that there's a lesson to be learned somewhere within the parallel of these two seperate instances.

They basically said: For those of you who oppose the outcome, you're SOL. It happened.

They never said they were for or against something, especially since the entirety of the political side of the write-up was completely analogous to the Derby. They're saying to stop whining.

But, again, someone's going to tell me I'm wrong.



YOU ARE. . . RIGHT! Well, at least to me you are right. That is 100% how I read the write-up. Still though... this sure has made for some very fun community posts to read. Heh.

RaveDroid


quality posts: 15 Private Messages RaveDroid
cleverconveyence wrote:Civility? You accused someone who you don't even know of being on "wellfare" and/or being a socialist without addressing ANY of the other points contained within the post.



And trust me, I'm waiting with bated ****ing breath.



Acknowledging generalities isn't uncivil or accusing - uncivil is resorting to expletives and insults when you don't actually have anything of value to say. Again if Adder would care to elaborate on this generality I certainly wouldn't be opposed (personally I wouldn't think it's worth it) but I'm not going to demand it. If you interpreted my statement as an "accusation," what are you saying about all the people who actually are on wellfare and/or are socialist? Are you condemning these people?

But honestly I don't think there is a single thing that I could say that you won't take offense at lol. But that's ok, why do I care? I don't really, I just think it's funny when people get so overly upset about stupid stuff lol. If my arguments don't mean anything to you, what makes you think yours could mean anything to me?

If you can read this, yourᅠbrowser'sᅠCompatibilityᅠsettings
areᅠconfiguredᅠcorrectly.ᅠᅠツ

Zarfus


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Zarfus
jel2301 wrote:Bitter, yes. Inappropriate, maybe. Ignorant, no.



well said!

akd85


quality posts: 0 Private Messages akd85

Where does he get the votes?

I mean, I am not even mad... I just want to know where the votes are coming from

Am I missing something?

I am super surprised the awesome Mario shirt didn't win. That was the best shirt I have seen ever in a derby. Good art. Good concept. Good parody.

WOOTZing

miren78


quality posts: 1 Private Messages miren78
RaveDroid wrote:Acknowledging generalities isn't uncivil or accusing - uncivil is resorting to expletives and insults when you don't actually have anything of value to say. Again if Adder would care to elaborate on this generality I certainly wouldn't be opposed (personally I wouldn't think it's worth it) but I'm not going to demand it. If you interpreted my statement as an "accusation," what are you saying about all the people who actually are on wellfare and/or are socialist? Are you condemning these people?

But honestly I don't think there is a single thing that I could say that you won't take offense at lol. But that's ok, why do I care? I don't really, I just think it's funny when people get so overly upset about stupid stuff lol. If my arguments don't mean anything to you, what makes you think yours could mean anything to me?



If you're going to insult other people's grammar and spelling, at least learn to spell welfare correctly.

llandar


quality posts: 32 Private Messages llandar
Pufferfishy wrote: Members of the liberal crowd need to mix some meat with that tofu & sprout wrap and buy a fur coat - makes climate change much more tolerable.

Brilliant analogy today Woot writers - simply brilliant.



So you ADMIT climate change is real! Ha!

girtonman


quality posts: 0 Private Messages girtonman

DCno10


quality posts: 376 Private Messages DCno10

...and it's about to sell out.

just wow.

prominencela


quality posts: 0 Private Messages prominencela
akd85 wrote:Where does he get the votes?

I mean, I am not even mad... I just want to know where the votes are coming from

Am I missing something?

I am super surprised the awesome Mario shirt didn't win. That was the best shirt I have seen ever in a derby. Good art. Good concept. Good parody.



You're not the only one! I felt there were far more surreal, terrifying designs in this derby - Close your Eyes or Nightmares Taking Hold, for instance - and much more clever concepts, too (The Guardian and Nightmare Warrior being two of my personal favorites). But, I suppose this was just in much earlier than other, more impressive ones. More time to soak in votes.

cleverconveyence


quality posts: 1 Private Messages cleverconveyence
RaveDroid wrote:If you interpreted my statement as an "accusation," what are you saying about all the people who actually are on wellfare and/or are socialist? Are you condemning these people?



No, my point is that YOU'RE condemning them. Are you this obtuse all the time?

Number of shirt.woots in 08: 23 (not counting randoms and shirts bought for friends)
number of shirt.woots in 09: 2 (same criteria)

arcsus


quality posts: 4 Private Messages arcsus

Who knew the reaper was so...petite? I always pictured death as being a lot taller and looking more like Brad Pitt. I think I could take this little squirt. Bring it on, death. BRING IT!

RaveDroid


quality posts: 15 Private Messages RaveDroid
miren78 wrote:If you're going to insult other people's grammar and spelling, at least learn to spell welfare correctly.



Welfare comes from the (obsolete) Old English "wellfare" - it's the same word, just maybe not as "P.C." as the modern derivation. I'm no hypocrite, I wouldn't say anything about other people's poor English if I couldn't even master my own lol

If you can read this, yourᅠbrowser'sᅠCompatibilityᅠsettings
areᅠconfiguredᅠcorrectly.ᅠᅠツ

Chickeninawhat


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Chickeninawhat

Cutesy scaffolding, now in goth flavor! If they allowed text this site would turn into Hot Topic overnight. #sadbuttrue (hehe "butt rue")

RaveDroid


quality posts: 15 Private Messages RaveDroid
cleverconveyence wrote:No, my point is that YOU'RE condemning them. Are you this obtuse all the time?



With people like you, yes. If you just want to be obstinate then you're not worth the brainpower.

If you can read this, yourᅠbrowser'sᅠCompatibilityᅠsettings
areᅠconfiguredᅠcorrectly.ᅠᅠツ

cleverconveyence


quality posts: 1 Private Messages cleverconveyence
RaveDroid wrote:With people like you, yes. If you just want to be obstinate then you're not worth the brainpower.



Hahaha. Oh my god, Adder is going to eat you alive.

Number of shirt.woots in 08: 23 (not counting randoms and shirts bought for friends)
number of shirt.woots in 09: 2 (same criteria)

Draug


quality posts: 69 Private Messages Draug

So...um...what happened to the shirt template? Why are they just showing an over-large thumbnail?

Or is it just me?

The enemy's gate is down.
Writers are people too! (Albeit strange ones.)
Save Poe! Reckon Nevermore! Or he'll be head-locked forevermore!

Chickeninawhat


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Chickeninawhat
katekintail wrote:Is it bad that I want this shirt just because I am a fan of Highlander: the series (and Methos in particular)?



As much as I adore you for that sentence,this is leagues above this shirt

TL;DR Yes it is bad.

Aracos


quality posts: 6 Private Messages Aracos
Draug wrote:So...um...what happened to the shirt template? Why are they just showing an over-large thumbnail?

Or is it just me?



It is changed for me also. It looks like they have made changes to the image, maybe making it a more accurate representation of how the print will appear.

Original: http://sale.images.woot.com/Behold_a_pale_horse…nqrDetail.png

Current: http://sale.images.woot.com/Behold_a_pale_horse…77lDetail.png

bitserve


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bitserve

I wonder why Woot always prints Death on navy blue instead of black.

poorpitcher


quality posts: 0 Private Messages poorpitcher

Woot says the shirt is navy. Are there different colors of navy because this one looks almost black. I already have too many navy's.

Chickeninawhat


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Chickeninawhat

And it's sold out. Say what you will for artistic integrity, the man sells shirts like...some kinda shirty selly...guy.

sasham62


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sasham62

Excellent write up, and yet...

This shirt tells the world: Democracy is flawed.


Not so much. The shirt sold out by noon. Almost makes me wish I'd bought one.

Livinonedge


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Livinonedge

Id be more frightened by the lifeless face of the horse rather than the non-existant face of the reapers kid

8 Screaming Monkey
2 Bags of Crap
2 Woot-off lights
7 Woot Shirt

TheSadPanda


quality posts: 0 Private Messages TheSadPanda

I'm kind of new here. Can anyone tell me if there will be any more? It was sold out by the time I got to it :-(

Livinonedge


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Livinonedge
TheSadPanda wrote:I'm kind of new here. Can anyone tell me if there will be any more? It was sold out by the time I got to it :-(



If woot still has their lost but never forgotten section which i can't seem to find anymore then yes they will...but from these turn of events in which i can no longer find the link...no

8 Screaming Monkey
2 Bags of Crap
2 Woot-off lights
7 Woot Shirt

Draug


quality posts: 69 Private Messages Draug
Livinonedge wrote:If woot still has their lost but never forgotten section which i can't seem to find anymore then yes they will...but from these turn of events in which i can no longer find the link...no



THE LINK IS ON THE VERY 1st PAGE OF THIS THREAD.

After 12:01 am, it will be active and you can get the shirt for $15. Or you can find a link to the shirt on the reckoning page (said reckoning link is on the top of every page).

And congrats on the sell out! :D

The enemy's gate is down.
Writers are people too! (Albeit strange ones.)
Save Poe! Reckon Nevermore! Or he'll be head-locked forevermore!

bassanimation


quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
Chickeninawhat wrote:And it's sold out. Say what you will for artistic integrity, the man sells shirts like...some kinda shirty selly...guy.



And this is what leads me to believe all the 'vote rigging' stuff just isn't happening. I have a hard time asking 10 people to vote for me, let alone enough to win, and buy 3000 shirts as a 'personal favor'...

I think everyday people just really dig these kinds of designs. Not everyone who visits Woot cares to get involved in the community, they just want to buy cute/cool stuff. A good amount of my friends who are members never read the forums and dont care to know anything about the artists. They just vote for and buy stuff they like (sometimes they dont even like my stuff, and they tell me so, hahah).

jessmanch


quality posts: 6 Private Messages jessmanch

Wooters, I am disappointed. Yes, he gets a lot of votes, yes, Woot may have poked a little fun at that. If you don't like the shirt, then vote for another one. At least sekiyoku didn't get first again, although she'll undoubtedly place. I think the designers are trying their hardest to provide shirts that will sell that you'll like. Even if you don't like woot's description but like the shirt, you should buy it. It also boggles me that political arguments can pop up so easily. Find somewhere else to argue besides on woot's blog.

Gatzby


quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby
TheSadPanda wrote:I'm kind of new here. Can anyone tell me if there will be any more? It was sold out by the time I got to it :-(



It will be available here tomorrow for $15.

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

bluetuba


quality posts: 57 Private Messages bluetuba
katekintail wrote:Is it bad that I want this shirt just because I am a fan of Highlander: the series (and Methos in particular)?



YES! Very bad! What part of kid-reaper on a playground makes you think of Methos?!? He would be dissapointed in you..

Not to mention Duncan, you think he would stand for the scaffolding Ramy/Seki pull?!

Smoothesuede


quality posts: 9 Private Messages Smoothesuede
RaveDroid wrote:Acknowledging generalities isn't uncivil or accusing - uncivil is resorting to expletives and insults when you don't actually have anything of value to say. Again if Adder would care to elaborate on this generality I certainly wouldn't be opposed (personally I wouldn't think it's worth it) but I'm not going to demand it. If you interpreted my statement as an "accusation," what are you saying about all the people who actually are on wellfare and/or are socialist? Are you condemning these people?

But honestly I don't think there is a single thing that I could say that you won't take offense at lol. But that's ok, why do I care? I don't really, I just think it's funny when people get so overly upset about stupid stuff lol. If my arguments don't mean anything to you, what makes you think yours could mean anything to me?

With every post you make, I like you more and more. :O
Just thought I'd tell you that.

thinkingbox


quality posts: 0 Private Messages thinkingbox

(Disclaimer: This is not a confrontational post. This is not a personal attack. I am asking a legitimate question. Why am I hearing this disclaimer in a robot voice in my head? Also, I got carried away and strayed way into tl;dr territory, so I applaud and thank anyone that actually reads the whole thing.)

It seems like those who decry woot for continually printing Ramy and Seki shirts, beyond the perpetual vote-rigging accusations (please do not provide links to prove your point; that is not the crux of my argument) all claim that the designs are lacking in artistic merit and rehash the same designs over and over again. Without agreeing or disagreeing with either of those accusations, I have to ask a question:

How do you feel about these guys?

Now, I admit, I'm not a fan. I worked with them for years in a technical capacity and they most certainly do not "just work." They're fine machines, but they cost more than an equivalent device under most circumstances, they are proprietary and occassionally incompatible. However! I will readily admit, with great fervor and enthusiasm, that they have marketing down to an exact science. Their marketing machine works like gangbusters, and I've been wanting to use that word for a while. If there was a Nobel Prize for Marketing, they would win -- retroactively and pre-emptively -- forever. They have a very sound design philosophy, they know what will sell products and they never deviate from what works.

And so it seems to me that woot prints these shirts because, primarily, people want them. I mean the shirt just sold out, which means at least a couple thousand people, give or take, wanted one? Secondly, woot's model seems to be, "You there, on the internet! Vote for the shirt you would most like to wear. On your body. In public, if that's your thing." That's a pretty straightforward model, and if most of the people out there don't want clever, thoughtful new shirt designs every week then so be it, the masses have spoken. I like the shirt because the juxtaposition amuses me, but I wouldn't wear it, which means that several thousand people disagree with me, and that's fine.

So I invite anyone that wants to respond, especially Adder because he seems like a pretty sharp guy and I'd be interested in hearing his opinion, what is it about the shirts that really bother you? Is it the sameness? Do you feel the guy just can't draw?

I understand your frustration in seeing the same thing over and over, but at its core, woot is a business. They're a friendly, amiable business that we all enjoy throwing money at, they're funny and clever and easy to like, but they're still a business, and at the end of the day they provide for their families and maintain their lifestyles based on doing what will be best for the bottom line. Which seems to be a Ramy shirt every now and then.

Smoothesuede


quality posts: 9 Private Messages Smoothesuede
thinkingbox wrote:

It seems like...

...Which seems to be a Ramy shirt every now and then.

-TB


I think most people would tolerate ramyb much more easily if he were in dailies instead of derbies. Taking out of context with design diversity and artistic integrity (that's Adder's bag, heh) I've found most people have an issue with ramyb's topics. From what I've heard and seen, they're tangential to the Derby at best, and yet still gets enough votes to win said Derby due to the fact that he's a great designer.

It's frustrating to Derby participants and voters to see someone bend (and break, on occasion) the rules of a Derby and win outright when everyone else had to wrack their brains to come up with something that is all of: clever, good looking, within rules, and able to make an impression.

Yes, his shirts look good. Yes, they're often tied together with his personal style (and why shouldn't they be?). But him participating in the Derbies the way he usually does is kind of a kick to the face of others, because they feel that Woot loosens the Rejectorator's hold on him, due to the fact that they know he'll sell, regardless of his art's placement in the week's topic at hand.

For these reasons, he's the perfect Monday-Thursday shirt.woot shirt designer.

((I feel I must add a disclaimer of my own. I'm kind of new to woot [check my join date] and I haven't been around for too many Derbies. Ramyb being typically off-topic is just as much what I've seen others say of him as it is my own observations, just in case he was not always as he is at this moment.))