robio

quality posts: 42 Private Messages robio

Which silhouettes you recognize on this shirt may be a half-decent indicator of how old you are.

I haven't the faintest idea what the last one is (watching the films is "Link"? I assume if it's a videogame character, the joke is he has many lives?)

But I know a bloody Care Bear when I see one, and I know why there are clock hands on the Tin Man.

/sorry, tjost — nice work, but the T-shirt fails without "Doctor Who"

MissJamieD

quality posts: 44 Private Messages MissJamieD

I'm quite concerned for Frankenstein! Those stitches in his heart are going to make it highly unlikely that blood can travel through atria to ventricle, compromising its reoxygenation!!

I think we now know why Frankenstein was so moody. He was simply suffering angina and, quite possibly, a heart murmur.

Though this is a Valentine's shirt, it does tell quite a sad story

MissJamieD

quality posts: 44 Private Messages MissJamieD

Alright, everyone, it's discussion time!

Now that you've seen their hearts (and could make, perhaps, a logical hypothesis as to their stamina/longevity):

In a battle royale (and I mean, fight to the death) of the characters on this t-shirt, who do you think would win?

Would it be Link with the many tiny hearts???
The squid with his 3 hearts???
The Care Bear and his large heart???

I'm excited for your thoughts on this!

bootlegzani

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bootlegzani
chrisprender wrote:Man, that ewok has a *huge* heart!

It has got to be a Care Bear.

sacrerouge

quality posts: 18 Private Messages sacrerouge

So does this mean Tenderheart bear is the only Care Bear with a heart, and the others are all heartless monsters? Or are their hearts all shaped like cupcakes, starts, etc

alfulghum

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alfulghum

The human reminds me too much of those edward wall decals. I also think the little guy favors an ewok. Congrats on the shirt!

You see, my goal here, is simply a t-shirt collection to rival that of Dr. Sheldon Cooper.

Don't know who that is? You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Jestik

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik

today I am wearing The Horde.

That shirt has a lot of heart. No soul, of course, but heart. and brains.

Tiadaria

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Tiadaria

I want it...but, but...WHY IS IT GRAAAAAAY?

Draug

quality posts: 69 Private Messages Draug

Seeing these characters splayed out with their hearts exposed takes me back to my cat dissection days in Anatomy class.

The enemy's gate is down.
Writers are people too! (Albeit strange ones.)
Save Poe! Reckon Nevermore! Or he'll be head-locked forevermore!

OldensLow

quality posts: 1 Private Messages OldensLow
jboshaw wrote:Octopi and octopuses are commonly used, but that's because most people believe the word is derived from latin when it actually comes from greek roots.

"octopus" is Latin or English
"oktōpous" or "ὀκτάπους" is Greek

The -us ending of a nominative singular noun of the second declension changes to -i in the nominative or vocative plural in Latin, or even the genitive or locative singular for that matter.

So it's octopi, cacti, etc. and whatever the dual and plural forms of oktōpous- are for Greek.

Who is Heather Gray??? Anyone else remember when grey was a color and gray was a mood? Thanks a lot for confusing that one Crayola (I bet they had a color misnamed Pink Octopusses too.)

Stexe

quality posts: 21 Private Messages Stexe
StargateGamingGeek wrote:I actually think the Doctor in place of Link would probably work out the best. That way you still have a "baseline" to reference with the human, you get in a Doctor Who reference, and you steer clear of the sometimes controversial Video Game reference. Also I just feel like the hearts on Link being outside the silhouette the way they are is somewhat inconsistent visually with the rest of the shirt.

Agreed. Although having Link in there near the middle wouldn't through it off as much... even still, WHERE IS THE DOCTOR? He is one of the best known people for having multiple hearts... they mention it like every other episode!

OmniOne

quality posts: 6 Private Messages OmniOne
StargateGamingGeek wrote:Also I just feel like the hearts on Link being outside the silhouette the way they are is somewhat inconsistent visually with the rest of the shirt.

Visually, yeah, it's a little bit off. But, Link's hearts were at the top of the screen, so it makes sense in that regard.

JeanneMarie

quality posts: 2 Private Messages JeanneMarie

If I were Link, instead of going out and actually buying Valentines Day cards, I'd just pass those babies out like candy.

Maybe then the rest would finally fit IN his body.

lyn1432

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lyn1432

Alright. Someone needs to direct me to me to the longsleeveshirt.woot.com.

SibyllineCoyote

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SibyllineCoyote

I don't know, Hearther Gray seems like a funky background but I'm optimistic.

I'm digging the diverse assortment of characters, something for everyone.

drizzo4shizzo

quality posts: 3 Private Messages drizzo4shizzo
robio wrote:Which silhouettes you recognize on this shirt may be a half-decent indicator of how old you are.

So true.

robio wrote:
I haven't the faintest idea what the last one is (watching the films is "Link"? I assume if it's a videogame character, the joke is he has many lives?)

Main character from Zelda franchise. It would seem you are not very old at all.

robio wrote:
But I know a bloody Care Bear when I see one, and I know why there are clock hands on the Tin Man.

Well ya got me here... Could it be a gummy bear? I guess maybe if it was "bouncing here and there and everywhere" perhaps. Maybe if it "had high adventures that were beyond compare".

And if it had a sword. Maybe then it could be a gummy bear.

And why indeed are there clock hands on the Tin Man?

Great shirt. Not 100% sold on the gray though.

v6bird

quality posts: 2 Private Messages v6bird

Hey what happened? I thought the grinch's heart grew three sizes that day! Which day I know it was that day! lol

walmazan

quality posts: 65 Private Messages walmazan

congrats tjost! well deserved!

catkins

quality posts: 1 Private Messages catkins

The first one on the bottom row is a squid. Quoth the Wikipedia:

"Squid have three hearts. Two brachial hearts feed the gills, each surrounding the larger systemic heart that pumps blood around the body. The faintly greenish hearts are surrounded by the renal sacs - the main excretory system. The kidneys are difficult to identify and stretch from the hearts (located at the posterior side of the ink sac) to the liver. The systemic heart is made of three chambers, a lower ventricle and two upper auricles."

That's probably our first and last aquatic anatomy lesson for the day. There will be a quiz at the end of the thread list.

iSTARSHINE

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iSTARSHINE
chrisprender wrote:Man, that ewok has a *huge* heart!

I thought it was a carebear... O.o

RaveDroid

quality posts: 15 Private Messages RaveDroid
Stexe wrote:Agreed. Although having Link in there near the middle wouldn't through it off as much... even still, WHERE IS THE DOCTOR? He is one of the best known people for having multiple hearts... they mention it like every other episode!

I don't rightly know who the first guy is supposed to be, maybe just a regular human dude - but I do know that having a Doctor Who on there instead would really confuse me (I wouldn't know the two hearts)... Unless his silhouette included that signature ridiculously long scarf.
Maybe I'm still just a little too young to get the reference. XD

BTW I liked this design in the derby, it was well-thought-out (as they all ought to be!). Congrats on your 1st place print, I hope you're rewarded with a sellout.

If you can read this, yourᅠbrowser'sᅠCompatibilityᅠsettings
areᅠconfiguredᅠcorrectly.ᅠᅠツ

buffalojr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages buffalojr

I can't believe I'm the first to comment on the write up to todays shirt.

Glad nobody was in the lab when I got to the end because I just busted out laughing.

A+++ to the writers for creativity.

monikaleigh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages monikaleigh

Congrats!!!

past shirt.woot! derby entries:

monikaleighnorcross.com <--- VISIT MY SITE!!!

SegaAges

quality posts: 2 Private Messages SegaAges
StargateGamingGeek wrote:But, if you cut them do they not bleed?

ROFL!

I don't know why, but this is awesome. I got in trouble for lol'ing in my cube for this one.

skatimmy737

quality posts: 207 Private Messages skatimmy737
bobfina wrote:Actually, you both are right in regards to the pluralization of octopus.

oc·to·pus (ŏk'tə-pəs)
n. pl. oc·to·pus·es or oc·to·pi (-pī')

Nice!

lukedery

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lukedery
KillerRamen wrote:Based on the size of Tenderheart Bear's heart, I think it's safe to assume that he's been abusing steroids.

funny. quality post

"KillerRamen ponder's Tenderheart's abuse of steroids"

kevin.swanson@gmail.com

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kevin.swanson@gmail.com
jkrusinski wrote:This one actually looks like a good T for my 11 year old daughter. Does anyone see any hidden messages which will have Child Protective Services after me if I let her wear it in public?

I'm sure some of my old literary and/or theology professors would raise an eyebrow at the total lack of distinctively female icons. Is there a hidden misogynistic meaning here? Well, is there? Hmmm....

Roboboogies

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Roboboogies

I just bought this shirt so that I could paint in a second heart (and fill in the sleeve so it look more like a suit) on the human to make him into the tenth Doctor.

emeleel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages emeleel
theoneill555 wrote:Looks like a care bear to me

Ewok was my first thought, too!

MNBeta03

quality posts: 5 Private Messages MNBeta03

Like the design, hate the color. Would have bought any other color... they should not be allowed to print heather shirts.

Fanglekai

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Fanglekai

If I remember correctly, Frankenstein's monster was supposed to have various body parts from corpses, but I don't remember anything about a fragmented heart. This is a clever shirt and I'm in for one!

charlesbarto

quality posts: 0 Private Messages charlesbarto
VIIIofXIII wrote:That's a squid, not an octopus. And the plural of octopus is "octopuses", if you wanna get semantic. ;)

Octopi is another plural of octopus
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/octopus

3goldens

quality posts: 1 Private Messages 3goldens

Yet one more ugly shirt by Woot!

lamcjunk

quality posts: 8 Private Messages lamcjunk
lovemedusa wrote:disappointed. but not surprised.

really? out of all of them this one won? I'm surprised!

jjcote

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jjcote
OldensLow wrote:"octopus" is Latin or English
"oktōpous" or "ὀκτάπους" is Greek

Really? Huh. When I was in Greece and I wanted octopus in a restaurant, I always asked for "χταπόδι".

blue_94_trooper

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blue_94_trooper

robio wrote:

drizzo4shizzo wrote:
Main character from Zelda franchise. It would seem you are not very old at all.

I'm 46 and was equally puzzled. Not at all familiar with Zelda much past the name. My first thought was the Highlander but the picture looked nothing like Christopher Lambert.

yumitori

quality posts: 22 Private Messages yumitori
jkrusinski wrote:This one actually looks like a good T for my 11 year old daughter. Does anyone see any hidden messages which will have Child Protective Services after me if I let her wear it in public?

"Warning! Parent is a total geek!"

tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
Drakxxx wrote:Congrats tjost! Glad to see some love for the heather gray, and the design is heck of a lot of fun.

Thanks Drakxxx. Hope yours makes it too!

blue_94_trooper

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blue_94_trooper
drizzo4shizzo wrote:Well ya got me here... Could it be a gummy bear? I guess maybe if it was "bouncing here and there and everywhere" perhaps. Maybe if it "had high adventures that were beyond compare".

And if it had a sword. Maybe then it could be a gummy bear.

And why indeed are there clock hands on the Tin Man?

Are gummy bears anything besides candy? Are there people who actually haven't seen the Wizard of Oz at least 15 times? It was on TV about once a year and you pretty much watched it every time. It was unlikely there was anything else worth watching on the other 6 channels.

kelseymg

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kelseymg

Today is National Wear Red Day to raise awareness about women's heart disease. February is also National Heart Disease Awareness Month. I don't know if this is just a coincidence but love that the shirt with hearts is being sold today!