-IRT

SquirrelsAreMean

quality posts: 1 Private Messages SquirrelsAreMean
Re: Solar Winds V2

Beautiful design!

icymallard

quality posts: 4 Private Messages icymallard
Re: Awesomer.

GUYS, there is a more concerning topic to be discussed!

HOW DID HE CUT OFF BOTH OF HIS HANDS??

icymallard

quality posts: 4 Private Messages icymallard
icymallard wrote:GUYS, there is a more concerning topic to be discussed!

HOW DID HE CUT OFF BOTH OF HIS HANDS??

oh nvm we already went over this.

i would buy this shirt.

queboy89

quality posts: 0 Private Messages queboy89
Normscoffee wrote:Everyone needs to calm down. Those shirts everyone linked to looks nothing like this. Heck, the majority of them were drawn with some level of talent and this one clearly was not.

BAHAHAHAHA. I admit, I've been around since last fall and I've stopped checking. I do however, for the excellent community! You guys are the true artists, critiquing and submitting much better artwork only to be shot down by this cr@p.

mawcluster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mawcluster
Re: Spaghetti Jump Rope Team

Oh man I want to buy this for a friend of mine!

chennai8

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chennai8

What's next TG? Mario?

neyfam2000 wrote:Woot!--going from "Deal-a-day" to "Site-a-day"

sonny2009

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sonny2009
danwo wrote:The first thing that came to my mind when looking at the thumbnail was "ramy/seki".

Ouch... I actually have to agree. Besides the belligerent Star Wars reference, the execution here really looks like something they would do, and I also thought it was Ramy by the thumbnail image.

The way this is rising,(which is not a surprise in the least), there is a good chance this will net you your grand for the week. I somehow don't think your regular supporters we'll be rejoicing on that thread though.

MMagieD

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MMagieD
Re: The Monsters Race For The Prize mk4

I really like the concept. My only advice is that it's hard to make out the girl, and I'd love to see this with some color.

krisko101

quality posts: 0 Private Messages krisko101

I love-love-love this design. In response to some of the comments above, to me, it's not a question of cat-stalking-owl.

This is just one night predator one-upping the other. I could totally see my cat sitting on a branch or a tree, competing with an owl to see who can get the most kills on one night.

The side-eye that owl is throwing the cat totally makes it, though. I would buy multiples of this design.

Love it!

treebirdoctopus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages treebirdoctopus
sonny2009 wrote:Ouch... I actually have to agree. Besides the belligerent Star Wars reference, the execution here really looks like something they would do, and I also thought it was Ramy by the thumbnail image.

The way this is rising,(which is not a surprise in the least), there is a good chance this will net you your grand for the week. I somehow don't think your regular supporters we'll be rejoicing on that thread though.

I have to agree as well, as much as I hate to. We all know you don't need to rely on the pop culture crutch to win like so many others do. I hope you are back to your usual great style next week. This makes me sad.

Chickeninawhat

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Chickeninawhat
Re: Need for Speed

SSDD; Same shirt different derby.

HungryCircusMonkey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HungryCircusMonkey

I love it. It makes me laugh.. HEHEHEHHEHEH :D

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Re: Faster, Higher, Stronger, Aimier

I've done Mario before. Twice actually.

If this looks like Ramy or Seki it's probably because it has strong rim lighting on the characters and halftones, two things they often use. Both suited the design; strong rim lighting gave the storm troopers suit a smooth plastic look. This is what also lends it that "crisp" looking edge I think. I used halftones because I was one color short and needed a darker color that faded into the background. I don't have a set style of characters or a certain "look" I follow with every design. Generally my stuff is all over the place depending solely on what I think the design calls for. Beyond that I don't care about the politics and factions and what not.

I don't really think that pop culture references are by definition a crutch. They certainly can be and often are used as such. If the designer isn't adding anything of him or herself to the design then it is a crutch.

But if I have an idea for Mario, Back to the Future, Star Wars, or any other design that I find interesting or exciting and is MY take on those themes, I'm not going to hesitate to do it. I've done probably 100-200 designs here (I really don't have any idea anymore), and only a very small percentage of them are based on pop culture references. That's pretty surprising (to me anyway) given that this is The Internet and that this site generally rewards pop culture references.

I do whatever interests me at the time. If, as in this case, I see a couple of weak Star Wars designs on another site and it makes me think "Hey, I wonder if I could do a Star Wars shirt that DOES interest me and deals with something that hasn't been touched upon yet" then that's where my head is at and I'm going to do it and then move on to the next thing that interests me. If you don't like it, I understand. I can't bat a thousand on what people are going to like.

bethlehemstarr

quality posts: 19 Private Messages bethlehemstarr
tgentry wrote: a long defense of his right to produce good art using pop-culture if he damn well wants, because he doesn't do it all the time, and he has mad skills.

Travis, while I don't think this is up there with some of your greatest designs, I do like it.
I too get sick of constant pop culture references- but once in a while, I think it's ok for an artist to chose to do one.
I think the design is funny, it did make me laugh. I like the sort of 'bobble-head' look you used for the characters.
It's not the shirt that I'm most excited about this derby, but I won't be the lease upset if it wins.
The design is very well executed, the message is clear and easy to 'get' near instantly. The colors are good- overall I think it is a solid design.
If next week though, you decided to do a Yoda shirt, and the week after that Chewbacca makes it on one of your shirts- then it's a problem.

You do good art, I appreciate it. Thanks!

sonny2009

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sonny2009
Re: PROJECT ROUND TABLE

Awesome! I bet a co-worker of mine, who isn't familiar with our little weekly derby here, $5 that this design would be out of the fog by 5PM today. He was like, "No way, it's the most kick-ass thing in the running". HAH!!!!

Thanks s**ty woot voters for making me $5 richer.

Oh, and sorry Drak, though I'm sure your use to it by now.

kagreeley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kagreeley
InkWiz wrote:Well thank you all for the info with this shirt, even tho it will get rejected I hope you all still liked it.

don't give up! keep entering in derbies! it's obvious you have talent.

beaterbar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beaterbar

I appreciate the fact that you do whatever designs come to your mind and don't sensor it just so that you avoid comments like these. That said, I am thoroughly confused by people who think that this is somehow out of character for you. Ceiling cthulu, 1985 bc, many others? If there was a Tgentry bio, it would read something like "well-known for his creative pop culture references." Is it the ramyb-like halftones that are causing the stir? certainly can't be the fact that it references things that geeks on the internet pride themselves in liking.

toddthurman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toddthurman
Re: PROJECT ROUND TABLE

this would look better on a black backdrop or maybe a white...it kinda dulls the situation with the odd blue

tgentry

Staff

beaterbar wrote:I appreciate the fact that you do whatever designs come to your mind and don't sensor it just so that you avoid comments like these. That said, I am thoroughly confused by people who think that this is somehow out of character for you. Ceiling cthulu, 1985 bc, many others? If there was a Tgentry bio, it would read something like "well-known for his creative pop culture references." Is it the ramyb-like halftones that are causing the stir? certainly can't be the fact that it references things that geeks on the internet pride themselves in liking.

Again, pop culture references are a VERY small percentage of the designs I've done over the last two (?) years: I would imagine something like 5-10% or so. Certainly not enough to be my calling card or bio writeup I would think.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
tgentry wrote: snip

This. ALL DAY LONG, this.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
mikenytola wrote:Then onto zombies, ban zombies?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

albinoapple

quality posts: 2 Private Messages albinoapple

Sigh, I guess no artist is free from the temptation to pander and do exactly what woot is (weakly) attempting to avoid.

Thinking up an idea does not automatically make it a good one.

dmaz

quality posts: 12 Private Messages dmaz
melsmore wrote:gotta be honest, I wasn't gonna vote for it. But definitely +1 for an awesome title that made me laugh. I'd even wear it just so I could quote people the title.

I feel the same. Abe Lincoln, United State Alchemist, putting an end to slave transmutation!

tgentry

Staff

albinoapple wrote:Sigh, I guess no artist is free from the temptation to pander and do exactly what woot is (weakly) attempting to avoid.

Thinking up an idea does not automatically make it a good one.

Well I liked it. If you don't, don't vote for it. And they aren't trying to avoid pop culture shirts (they just ran a Star Wars daily, and one that I thought was really good at that). They are (from what I can tell) trying to avoid pop culture shirts that rely solely on the reference without any input from the designer beyond regurgitating it.

albinoapple

quality posts: 2 Private Messages albinoapple
AdderXYU wrote:3) Who does art should indeed matter on a broad scale. It's basic ethics. No one praises Hitler's art because it was made by Hitler. On a smaller scale, if an "artist" is a cheat, a swindler, a thief, and an all-around disrespecter of what it means to be creative and original and artistic, they should be allowed no sway artistically. If ones ACTIONS put them at odds with human ethics, and especially artistic ethics, they deserve to be blacklisted. To say otherwise is to reward people for being blackguards and charlatans. To be OK with someone unfairly snatching advancement from real creative minds, manipulating people for their own gain, etc etc etc. If I see art I love, I don't care who the person is. That is true. But I will never support the work of someone who I find has no moral scruples. Because I have an ethical code.

Really Adder? You just enacted Godwin's Law. How about you sit alone for an hour and just think about your own ridiculousness.

Whatever legitimacy you created for yourself in this argument is gone. If you're gonna make stupid arguments like that stop being so pretentious about your opinions.

lifeanddeath7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lifeanddeath7
Re: Solar Winds V2

Wow. I love this design, and I really hope it makes it. It's beautiful. The colors are fantastic. Kudos.

Michelle Gawarecki

Laureenmt

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Laureenmt
mouser882 wrote:I like the cat
But I thought the dog was a cow, haha. Voted for it though, hopefully it gets somewhere cause it's very cute but not in the normal woot-cute style.

Yup, I misread the dog too. Love the Animal Farm quote!

bawagner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bawagner
Re: In a School District Far Far Away...

My dad drives a school bus. I think he would get a big kick out of this shirt.

mixer23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mixer23

Jeez, I can see it only takes one design to get people to start bringing out the pitchforks... I've been around here for over a year now and I can most definitely say that you're maybe the most varied artist here. I I haven't bought all of your shirts in the past year, but I do have most of them. And they're from artsy to clever to referential(Vigilante). I think its great that you do what you want and feel like. Is this my favorite shirt you've done? No. Do I like it enough to buy it? Yes. You're one of the few true artists here and one of the very few that I look forward to seeing what new ideas have been come up with week after week.

Dalfo002

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Dalfo002
Re: All Will Be Consumed

intriguing, i like it... unfortunately i think latin is still considered text.

JesseBYAH

quality posts: 5 Private Messages JesseBYAH
Re: Domo Arigatou Mr. Roboto V2

Just a suggestion- try a different thumbnail next time that captures more of the action. I clicked on this one because the thumbnail looked well drawn and I was curious to see what was happening in the picture. However, if you showed part of one of the robots in the thumbnail, i think it would entice more people to check it out.
So, in future derbies, really think about the thumbnail and what you include in it. Just my 2 cents =)

banzaaiii

quality posts: 0 Private Messages banzaaiii
AdderXYU wrote: 1) Chibi art is insanely bad. I don't think I've ever stated my own work was good, though. That's a big difference. Otherwise you imply that no one who cannot create art has a valid opinion on art, which is proven untrue by, well, just about every respected critic ever. Though since you don't have any work posted anywhere, by your perception your own voice is meaningless. It's OK. That's shared.

it has nothing to do with having to be a good artist to give good criticism, it has to do with the fact that you stand behind designs of relatively low quality (your designs), and then you bash other designs that are significantly better, even if it is just chibi. it is a loss of objectivity. had you been an objective critic, you would not stand behind your own work, you would take it back to the drawing board and try to improve it, before posting it on t-shirt sites to print, and thereby asserting that you do think it is good enough for you and other people to wear.

AdderXYU wrote:
2) Woot ignores rules all the time to benefit the desu-clan, while switching rules all the time to disenfranchise the talented, long-standing members. I'm not really sure where wanting woot to be fair goes against anything. Though really, if all you can do is copy the same style every 12 year old in america wets themselves over and draws in history class, that in and of itself detracts from woot's own rule and mission statement of unique work you can't get anywhere else

how this even says anything about the irony in you wanting new rules to be made just so the art you dont like cant be made, i dont understand. it has nothing with woot being fair. it has to do with you being hypocritical, and as usual, what it boils down to is that you want shirts you like to win, and the objective high standard principles you always claim to stand by, dont really matter.

AdderXYU wrote:
3) Who does art should indeed matter on a broad scale. It's basic ethics. No one praises Hitler's art because it was made by Hitler. On a smaller scale, if an "artist" is a cheat, a swindler, a thief, and an all-around disrespecter of what it means to be creative and original and artistic, they should be allowed no sway artistically. If ones ACTIONS put them at odds with human ethics, and especially artistic ethics, they deserve to be blacklisted. To say otherwise is to reward people for being blackguards and charlatans. To be OK with someone unfairly snatching advancement from real creative minds, manipulating people for their own gain, etc etc etc. If I see art I love, I don't care who the person is. That is true. But I will never support the work of someone who I find has no moral scruples. Because I have an ethical code.

just because a certain piece of art has been made by a bad (or good) person, it does not make the art any worse or better. it is what it is. you may not want to support the art due to not liking the person, but then you are dragging your personal feelings into it again, which is not so good when being an "objective" critic. if hitlers work was amazing art that changed the world(which it wasnt, but i am no expert in that field) it would still get credit for being amazing art that changed the world, even if it was made by a top 10 most awful person to ever walk this earth. by caring about the person who made it you only drag in one of two things, personal feelings, and/or capitalistic reasons, neither of which should play any role in your "objective" criticism, or even your persoanl feelings towards the art itself

AdderXYU wrote:
4) You really can't defend the chibi work here as being "original" without looking like a fool. What's so original about any of it? The style itself is cliched. the concepts all come from somewhere else. You also can't say that it is cute like nothing else, unless you mean "cute, in a deformed, cliche, overdone, and not very attractive way". Today's shirt has a personal style, a fresh imagery, a great shirt layout, and is yet still unabashedly cute. It does it better. That's aesthetic fact to anyone who has a sense of aesthetics.

the thing is, people state that it doesnt matter that the execution in this piece is impressive or technical, but then they complain about that very same thing with chibi stuff. "Chibi is so easy to do and generic" etc etc. they say its okay that drawing skill hasnt been involved much, because other things, like "over-all feel" of a shirt, matter. so in this shirt, the whole feel is that of happiness mixed with something gorey and insane. if you wanted that in one of the chibi shirts you could have bought the whack a mole shirt. it was certainly making cuteness out of smashing the heads of moles in with a spiked mallet.
i dont even like the chibi shirts, but honestly, i cannot for the life of me comprehend why it is such a disaster that a lot of people like them and vote for them. it is as fair as anything. it may not be your cup of tea, but deal with it, it is the favorite tea of a lot of people.

that last part is also just the stating of personal opinions. im not going to say i think todays shirt gets lemon juice in the eye, but i dont think it is all that either. but it certainly does not have a fresh imagery, penguins and whales "flying" instead of swimming, is used in plenty of scenarios. the whale is also generic in shape and style, even though the design as a whole does hold somewhat of a distinctive style. as someone in the shirt thread said, its something you are likely to see something similar to in an aquarium, be it on a shirt, or on a wall. but by all means, decent shirt, but personal taste will decide if you buy it. trying to objectify aesthetics like that is stupid, when it is a matter of personal preference.

sakleehop

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sakleehop
Re: Too Slow

This is a bit of a stretch and the silhouette is Clint Eastwood - in one of his spaghetti westerns, no? Not sure that anyone looking at this shirt would see the theme of this derby.

Basileus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Basileus

...why so many GENERIC CUTE ANIMAL WITH JETPACK/ROCKET?
It's unoriginal and pathetic.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 214 Private Messages Spiritgreen
grrlmarvel wrote:This is your first?! Wow. Really awesome, hope you'll stick around and do more. Plus I love tentacles....

I will definitely stick around and try some more designs. It's a curious feeling waiting to see what the new derby theme will be. ^_^

marzipanapple wrote:I am really sad that this isn't higher. I love this guy! <3

Aw =thanks=. I'm actually really pleased to see it getting as many votes as it has. I didn't know how my first try would be received here. And this style is probably not for everyone.

halftap

quality posts: 0 Private Messages halftap

Here's a close up:

Basileus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Basileus

Awesome shirt. I really hope it makes it through.
That said, DBZ? *Avatar*? Really? I can only hope that is some peoples' idea of a bad joke.

SnowQueenVT

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SnowQueenVT
Re: Elephant Vault

That is so cute!(ordered another lantern shirt for us that makes 4 will post you our photo privately when our goodies arrive!)Been out of town to Maine just checking out the designs now.This is so cute!

http://www.wix.com/scottgreenip/snowqueenvt

SnowQueenVT

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SnowQueenVT
Re: For Love Of Sport

I love your figure drawing Shasham62!

http://www.wix.com/scottgreenip/snowqueenvt