danwo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danwo
tgentry wrote:I've done Mario before. Twice actually.

If this looks like Ramy or Seki it's probably because it has strong rim lighting on the characters and halftones, two things they often use. Both suited the design; strong rim lighting gave the storm troopers suit a smooth plastic look. This is what also lends it that "crisp" looking edge I think. I used halftones because I was one color short and needed a darker color that faded into the background. I don't have a set style of characters or a certain "look" I follow with every design. Generally my stuff is all over the place depending solely on what I think the design calls for. Beyond that I don't care about the politics and factions and what not.

I don't really think that pop culture references are by definition a crutch. They certainly can be and often are used as such. If the designer isn't adding anything of him or herself to the design then it is a crutch.

But if I have an idea for Mario, Back to the Future, Star Wars, or any other design that I find interesting or exciting and is MY take on those themes, I'm not going to hesitate to do it. I've done probably 100-200 designs here (I really don't have any idea anymore), and only a very small percentage of them are based on pop culture references. That's pretty surprising (to me anyway) given that this is The Internet and that this site generally rewards pop culture references.

I do whatever interests me at the time. If, as in this case, I see a couple of weak Star Wars designs on another site and it makes me think "Hey, I wonder if I could do a Star Wars shirt that DOES interest me and deals with something that hasn't been touched upon yet" then that's where my head is at and I'm going to do it and then move on to the next thing that interests me. If you don't like it, I understand. I can't bat a thousand on what people are going to like.

Travis, sorry if I sounded like a jerk comparing your work to theirs, I was just stating my opinion and what first came to my mind.

SnowQueenVT

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SnowQueenVT
Re: High Hopes

Cute!The rubbertree plant!Very nice.I like your idea!

http://www.wix.com/scottgreenip/snowqueenvt

SnowQueenVT

Re: Hockey Break thru

Holy cow wierdpuckett!Yikes! You are too funny!I bet you are using your technique of very thin lines to make it look like extra colors. Very funny, good one!

SnowQueenVT

Re: Bright Idea

This is cute Jupilberry!

SnowQueenVT

Re: Lil' Cheatah!

Beautifully done, also cute and funny!Pretty kitty!

SnowQueenVT

Re: SMASHING!

Oh yeah!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 234 Private Messages kylemittskus
albinoapple wrote:Really Adder? You just enacted Godwin's Law. How about you sit alone for an hour and just think about your own ridiculousness.

Whatever legitimacy you created for yourself in this argument is gone. If you're gonna make stupid arguments like that stop being so pretentious about your opinions.

Godwin's law actually refers to a comparison between the holocaust. And even though it's called Godwin's "law" doesn't mean it is completely logical. It has many flaws to it, but this is a discussion for another time I suppose.

Substitute "Charles Manson" for "Hitler" and the argument still stands fine.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

danwo wrote:Travis, sorry if I sounded like a jerk comparing your work to theirs, I was just stating my opinion and what first came to my mind.

I didn't take it as an insult. No worries.

SnowQueenVT

Re: Too Slow

I totally love Clint!

SnowQueenVT

Re: In a School District Far Far Away...

A-MA-ZING!!!!!! So very very awesome! ( By chance does beefcoat mean "leather jacket"?) We the people , love this, your design!

SnowQueenVT

Re: PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT!

Bringing out everyones inner Rocky! Love the inspiration and the wonderful drawing!

SnowQueenVT

Re: Float On - Now with Improved Steering Power!

Hi Jewelwing my first personal woot shirt buy for myself (Are we not drawn onward toward new era) Arrived this week in all it's beauty and splendor and I hurried to put it on only to discover that a woot womens xl fits not the awesome wonderwomanlyness that is snowqueenvt!

So I offered it to my daughter Ashley who is 3 (and who hates all clothes. )Guess what, she loves your shirt and lives in it! I can see it better on her anyway. (Bright side.)This shirt is beautiful too!

SnowQueenVT

Re: Got any cheese? Urkel to Urquelle V2

So cute and I love your amazing style as always.

zealot6708

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zealot6708
Re: Awesomer.

Way Awesomer. +vote

aricartt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aricartt
DianaSprinkle wrote:A re-sub to hopefully solved some issues. Please re-vote.

This shirt holds three of the magic items from the Legend of Zelda games (Which are also rather similar to objects from Greek myth as chance would have it).

Each one grants a power (Pegasus boots let you run faster, Roc's Feather lets you jump high, and the power bracelets grant great strength.) So each item represents the words of the Olympic motto.

CHANCE!! HAH!

they be geniuses i say

SHIRTS:
X-treme National Park, Just The Two Of Us, You Have to Try This Guys, Teddyslayer, I’m So Sorry Elmer…, Stuck Inside, To the Top in the Style of Da Vinci, Nanonauts, The Cake is a Liar
Regular Woots: 9
Bunch of Crepes's: 1

tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
Re: Faster, Higher, Stronger, Aimier

To be fair to all the elite shock troops clad in white, Imperial E-11B blaster rifles are notoriously inaccurate especially when on full auto. Play any Star Wars game and you'll see what I mean Imperial thought on it is throw enough (disposable) troops at a problem pointing in the same direction and firing and your bound to hit something, why spend trillions of credits on better weapons when you have lots of warm bodies (the Russians used this line of thought too).

Not my favorite of yours Travis but I wouldn't be upset if this replaces the Ackbar print in the reckoning (I like the idea of that one but seriously the hands are completely wrong and it irks me that they couldn't look at a reference first, I mean he doesn't even have the right amount of fingers)

windstirrer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages windstirrer
Re: Two Legs Bad, Four Legs Good, Jetpacks Awesome...

I like the animals (dog was a little hard to figure out), but it is a little too linear for my tastes. Maybe if they were spaced apart as if in a race. One winning the others not. I don't know. Good anyway though! I liked the pig a lot. Overall, good job.

SnowQueenVT

Re: The Virtually Awesome Reality

This is awesome Joshuahippie!

jboshaw

quality posts: 10 Private Messages jboshaw
Re: the mouseketeer!

Pretty sure that's way too close to Tom and Jerry. Decent job of a rendition, though. Jerry's arms looks a little weird. Tom's body is made of jelly?

Norsemin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Norsemin
Re: Lil' Cheatah!

The details really make this piece, particularly the shades on the jerboa

alphadogginny

quality posts: 1 Private Messages alphadogginny
Re: Excelsior!

Reminds me of the book Tuesday. :D

kazbill

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kazbill
Re: PROJECT ROUND TABLE

How is this not in the fog anymore... this is the most awesome one! ...

cmdixon2

quality posts: 21 Private Messages cmdixon2

Thanks everyone for your comments!

It was a tough decision to resubmit on Saturday, but I am much happier with this version even though it meant starting over. My eyes must not see things right at 4am.

PattyFatty1337 wrote:cmdixon2, i don't think I've ever looked at your designs without immediately having an orgasm.

HA! I'm not sure I'll be able to not think of this when submitting from now on.

xazothia

quality posts: 54 Private Messages xazothia
Re: All Will Be Consumed

Next time, try using the "save for web" or "save for web and devices" option, it'll hide the cyan guidelines.

sjaeger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sjaeger

I think it is awesome. I have always loved frogs. They rock and so do you.

Azurett

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Azurett
Re: PROJECT ROUND TABLE

Wow..not in the fog? :/ This design is better than half the designs in the fog.

dunz0

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dunz0
Re: PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT!

this is so great! i definitely want this tee!

Lagbert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert

Sometimes improvements aren't really necessary.

jestaples

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jestaples
krouth wrote:This wins the award for the most unoriginal design ever...

Done many times before:

Here's one...

Another one...

And another...

And, hey look, another one...

Sigh...

I know, right?

Things like this make me even more upset that this got rejected cause "similar shirts exist".. Wanted that shirt so bad. Yet this is ok? :<.

Wolfstrike

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wolfstrike
Re: Sukin' Cawk

There is no stronger drink.

iHaunter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iHaunter
Re: Sukin' Cawk

..Seriously?

JonM1211

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JonM1211
Re: Float On - Now with Improved Steering Power!

I'd buy this. Good work man!

jmmbell1987

quality posts: 78 Private Messages jmmbell1987
kylemittskus wrote:I think you're over complicating the argument that Jimmbell made (which may too have been an over complication). What he is, and a lot of us are, saying is not that the drawing is the most amazing ever. However, first of all, to a large extent, that's the point and the aesthetic (see artists like Gorey). Also, there is more to art than mere drawing skills. Edgar's pieces, this one included, are very original and sublime.

That was my point exactly. Saying, as banzaii said, that others could draw this better if given the idea is to miss the point entirely. If I overcomplicated it, I didn't veer from the point. Pure technical skill at drawing does not make for great art.

And I'm baffled that you could criticize the face here while defending stuff like this. You want an emoticon?

Again, opinions are all subjective, but be consistent.

Smoothesuede wrote:Snip

Smoothsuede- thanks for an answer that is reasonable, as opposed to rambling and incoherent. I don't agree, but you've made your points concisely and amicably.

bigjerbear

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigjerbear
Re: Fully Automatic Guitar

Fully awesome

"Everybody dies frustrated and sad... and that is beautiful" -- TMBG

FRamsden

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FRamsden

I like this one a lot. I think the brown on brown is understated which makes it cooler than some shirts that just have a giant brightly colored graphic in the middle. This shirt is more "wearable" because of that. I would like it a little better without the scaffolding but its by no means a deal breaker.

Xenix

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Xenix

Made me giggle. Super-sweet design / quality / and idea. GL!

DrAlex

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DrAlex
graffd02 wrote:is it just me or does the last one look a little... feminine, whilst running...

Definitely the limp wrists give it away ...

Actually, I really like the idea of this shirt. Well executed. Maybe the first should have been a hand coming out of the ground.

Still, gets my vote.

kushalm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kushalm
Re: faster, HIGHER, stronger

yeah that text on the side is not printable..expect the rejectionator to pounce at that

thatrobert

quality posts: 29 Private Messages thatrobert
Re: Up There V2

Nice improvement but the stars would've been even better. Keep it up. I'd like to see more of your work.

albinoapple

quality posts: 2 Private Messages albinoapple
tgentry wrote:Well I liked it. If you don't, don't vote for it. And they aren't trying to avoid pop culture shirts (they just ran a Star Wars daily, and one that I thought was really good at that). They are (from what I can tell) trying to avoid pop culture shirts that rely solely on the reference without any input from the designer beyond regurgitating it.

Well I would argue that you ARE regurgitating it. The troopers' terrible aim is the most common joke made about Star Wars. That's the entire joke of this shirt. "OH haha storm troopers DO have bad aim!"

I would say that woot is trying to avoid artists relying on easy win subjects. Why else are bunnies and Mario banned? Mario and video games were banned because you don't need originality to win votes.

That being said, after I read back what I typed I realize my commentary was unnecessarily rude. I apologize. It's very upsetting to see the same old gristle being thrown out every week and I hate to see another artist engage in creating designs that get votes solely because wooters would buy anything with a geek reference on it.