albinoapple

quality posts: 2 Private Messages albinoapple
kylemittskus wrote:Godwin's law actually refers to a comparison between the holocaust. And even though it's called Godwin's "law" doesn't mean it is completely logical. It has many flaws to it, but this is a discussion for another time I suppose.

Substitute "Charles Manson" for "Hitler" and the argument still stands fine.

Maybe it's just me who can't take anyone who brings up Hitler in an argument. That being said I firmly believe that one should judge art regardless of the artist. I remember that Saddam Hussein wrote some poetry, and if I recall correctly I thought it wasn't half bad.

Who the artist is should have no say in how you judge the artwork, however there's nothing wrong with personally disliking a piece due to its creator. The words/brushstrokes in artwork doesn't change based on who created them, so why should it change how good it is as a piece?

JRWorkshop

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JRWorkshop

How many good shirts have been rejected because 'similar shirts exist'?
And this piece of CR4P can still be on the fog?????
Isn't personal. But if this 'design' wins It'd be demonstrated that being mediocre and lack of creativity doesn't matter as long as you have a lot of friends (or very good hired hackers)

Normscoffee

quality posts: 23 Private Messages Normscoffee
mianmianlee wrote:... i feel like everyone that's bashing on ramyb should try to come up with something original of their own, thats never been used before, design a shirt [that looks decent], and test their luck
there's a lot of shirts out there. seriously. i doubt any one of you can come up with a completely original design.
theres a reason ramyb's shirts are so popular. its what the majority of people want. while the rest of the minority moan and gripe. goodness.

This is a completely nonsensical argument. I am not an artist. The best I could ever come up with is stick figures, which is why I do not design shirts for a living.

We are not saying that we could do better. We just wish that Woot would reject shirts that are nearly identical to past derby winners (and countless other shirts) and that Ramy would show the community a little more respect by not submitting the same shirt just with different animals.

Hope this helps.

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
mianmianlee wrote:... i feel like everyone that's bashing on ramyb should try to come up with something original of their own, thats never been used before, design a shirt [that looks decent], and test their luck
there's a lot of shirts out there. seriously. i doubt any one of you can come up with a completely original design.
theres a reason ramyb's shirts are so popular. its what the majority of people want. while the rest of the minority moan and gripe. goodness.

There are plenty of artists here that come up with "decent looking" original work on their own each and every week here. Seriously. Take a look around. Sure there's a lot of tripe but well done original work largely goes unnoticed and unrewarded here, because the mass population doesn't vote it up.

sokowa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa
mjl9320 wrote:poor attempt at making a grand off of a video game reference.

Aw, sorry you feel that way. This took a long time to draw (referencing Bettas and the fireball) and I went through no less than three shading styles before picking this one. In addition, trying to figure out how to draw the water without slapping a ton of ink on the shirt wasn't easy. There's also a known fact that two male bettas will usually fight to the death if in the same bowl so there's a reason these two are fighting (so it's not like I just picked two random critters to fight it out, I agree that that would have far less meaning). It's not just slapped together fwiw. If you feel that way I can't stop you (I sometimes have the same feeling about other people's designs). I just figure I'll fill in some of the behind-the-scenes stuff

Plus we have a SF 2 cabinet at work and I spend too much time on it. So it was a personal design for myself as well as a public one for woot .

~Cheers

sasham62

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sasham62
readaholic wrote:Thanks for your comment! This is my first Derby, but I hope to do more. Can you clarify what you meant with your comment? I really appreciate any constructive criticism.

The shirt template you used should have a thin square outline. This is the printable area. Your design needs to stay in that.
Text is not allowed. *I* couldn't read your bar sign, but it might still be considered text.
There's a six color limit.
All of this stuff is accessible from the Derby submission page. The No Text (and No Bunnies, No Mario, etc) is on the Derby description page and may vary from Derby to Derby.

jupilberry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jupilberry
Re: Faster?

This is the third shirt with text. So far no shirt has been rejected for text and one has even received 122 votes.

sasham62

kaospickle wrote:Wasn't this guy attempting to sue anyone who was trying to make money off of his mugshot?

This should get rejected anyway. No text.

flavorii

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flavorii
Re: What's for Dinner?

Like the shirt
Don't like the goggles
like the owl's expression

PAAAaaaAAaaaanCAAAAAKES!!

beso0282

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beso0282
Re: What's for Dinner?

LOL

Everything is art.

sasham62

SnowQueenVT wrote:I love your figure drawing Shasham62!

Thanks. I really enjoyed doing this, votes or no votes.

beso0282

Re: SMASHING!

Nice colors, but it's not very original. Besides, it'll probably be rejected due to copyright. Did you think of maybe making hulk a baby or a little boy? That would at least reference the idea of Hulk.

Everything is art.

beso0282

Re: Orbital hop

Interesting. Very trippy.

Everything is art.

jabberjaws13

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jabberjaws13
Re: Faster, Higher, Stronger, Aimier

great illustration travis. you keep designing, i'll keep buying. gmv.

side note: a buddy of mine just went to egypt for two and a half weeks. i sent him with my 1985 b.c. tee to get a picture with the pyramids in the background. nerdy i know, but funny as hell.

Happy Beer.

jabberjaws13

double post. dum......b.

Happy Beer.

beso0282

Re: Dinosaurs are Back... As Robots.

Nice design, but this has been done a couple of times. The designs were "Clockwork Dinosaurs" & "The Gearassic Period".

Everything is art.

booja555

quality posts: 0 Private Messages booja555
Re: Float On - Now with Improved Steering Power!

Wow, this will (hopefully) be two shirts in a row from the same designer(last was "Are we not drawn onward toward new era").

Excellent choice on the white background, too.

jabberjaws13

Re: Awesomer.

god dammit. this shirt needs more love.

i am tired of not being able to buy edgar shirts. %*#@(*%#*^%#)*^!!!!!

Happy Beer.

gekiere

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gekiere
Re: Need for Speed

Regardless of plagiarism (which is real), it kills me that this shirt is in the top 9. Like most Ramy shirts, it's artistically *terrible*. It does *not* look good. Not even close. Colors, lines, perspective - ugh.

But then again, that's not really the point of the derby now is it? Sigh.

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert
Re: PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT!

• Congratulations on winning a Best Loser Award!
  • This is not SPAM.
  • Winning a BLA does NOT mean this shirt won't print -- I'm hoping it does.
  • Your one and only gift is this crappy little badge in your shirt thread. Enjoy.
  • Fair ain't what you really need.

thatrobert

Re: The Abraham Lincoln Chokeslam Shirt

• This is not SPAM.
  • Your one and only gift is this crappy little badge in your shirt thread. Enjoy.

thatrobert

Re: Lil' Cheatah!

• This is not SPAM.

Beefcoat

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Beefcoat
tgentry wrote:I've done Mario before. Twice actually.

If this looks like Ramy or Seki it's probably because it has strong rim lighting on the characters and halftones, two things they often use. Both suited the design; strong rim lighting gave the storm troopers suit a smooth plastic look. This is what also lends it that "crisp" looking edge I think. I used halftones because I was one color short and needed a darker color that faded into the background. I don't have a set style of characters or a certain "look" I follow with every design. Generally my stuff is all over the place depending solely on what I think the design calls for. Beyond that I don't care about the politics and factions and what not.

I don't really think that pop culture references are by definition a crutch. They certainly can be and often are used as such. If the designer isn't adding anything of him or herself to the design then it is a crutch.

But if I have an idea for Mario, Back to the Future, Star Wars, or any other design that I find interesting or exciting and is MY take on those themes, I'm not going to hesitate to do it. I've done probably 100-200 designs here (I really don't have any idea anymore), and only a very small percentage of them are based on pop culture references. That's pretty surprising (to me anyway) given that this is The Internet and that this site generally rewards pop culture references.

I do whatever interests me at the time. If, as in this case, I see a couple of weak Star Wars designs on another site and it makes me think "Hey, I wonder if I could do a Star Wars shirt that DOES interest me and deals with something that hasn't been touched upon yet" then that's where my head is at and I'm going to do it and then move on to the next thing that interests me. If you don't like it, I understand. I can't bat a thousand on what people are going to like.

Sorry to quote your whole comment here again. I believe that you have explained yourself very well in what you stated above. I don't think you need to apologize for your design and I think that your few works which have pulled from pop culture do present a fresh bit of originality to a well known and loved idea.

It is hard to always come up with something new that anyone can enjoy, but you do a great job. Keep up your good work!

P.S. I have never heard of a storm trooper with glasses. I knew they couldn't aim to save their lives but never thought that if they only had glasses... Very Clever!

thatrobert

Re: OCTOPONG

• This is not SPAM.

thatrobert

Re: Gonna Make You Breakfast

• This is not SPAM.

thatrobert

Re: Big Brother Bot

• This is not SPAM.

thatrobert

Re: Gonna Make You Breakfast

• This is not SPAM.

thatrobert

Re: Extreme Water Balloon

• This is not SPAM.

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
Re: All Will Be Consumed

Awesome style, you should contact Woot about doing a daily

grrlmarvel

quality posts: 12 Private Messages grrlmarvel
Re: Lil' Cheatah!

I really am impressed with this. It's hard to try something different and then to have the bravery to put it out for others to look at it. I really don't think art is ever perfect, it's the little quirks that make it interesting to look at. Y

ou should be really proud of this. Your passion for wanting to make this a good design over-rides the nit picky things like if an angle isn't just right.

Plus rodents on rockets are pretty darn cool and you can't go wrong with that.

Congrats on the best loser too, it's a testament to how many other people liked what you were doing.

Beefcoat

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Beefcoat
SnowQueenVT wrote:( By chance does beefcoat mean "leather jacket"?)

The name Beefcoat does not refer to anything dirty, as has been suggested, nor does it mean a leather jacket (though that may be the best literal interpretation). No, the story behind the name is much nerdier than all of that...

It all started back in high school. There was about a six month period where my friends and I became almost obsessed with the WWF (now the WWE). We adored Mankind (Mick Foley) and his epic ability to endure being beat to a pulp.

On one fateful winter evening as my friends and I had gathered to celebrate Christmas, one of my buddies (he had introduced us all to the fascinating world of pro-wrestling) began calling me out to a match on our large trampoline in the back yard. I took him up on his challenge and before long everyone was out around the makeshift mat waiting for the match of the century. As I approached from my entry point I became aware that I was without a pro-wrestling name. Directly after becoming aware one of my spectating friends asked what's your name? What escaped my lips has continued to be my nickname and username for many games and projects since...

"My name is BEEFCOAT BILLY GOAT!" I said confidently and without really knowing what I had said.

The Billy Goat part was left by the wayside along with our love for pro-wrestling but Beefcoat still lives strong in the hearts of friends, family, and Woot...

THE END

capedcrusader514

quality posts: 1 Private Messages capedcrusader514
jeanerz13 wrote:Why does he change from a rodent into a feline? If he cloned himself (like he did in one episode...one Urkel, one Urquelle), would he prey on himself? Sorry to be nitpicky...it's still pretty cute...just had to ask ;)

Woah, maybe I'm remembering wrong but from what I recall he didn't actually clone himself but changed himself in urquelle. There was also the episode where he turned into elvis-urkel so maybe this just makes him more lion like and not a full-blown lion.

mmcmahon119

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mmcmahon119
Re: The Abraham Lincoln Chokeslam Shirt

Why is this shirt not in the Fog yet?! I heart it and I want it!!

nfosdick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nfosdick

Can't wait till this one is out.

kbalser

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kbalser

That is a really cute idea, however, like one other commenter noted, it breaks a lot of the rules of the derby.

My advise? Scrap the background. The idea would be MUCH better conveyed (and look 100 times better!) if it were just the sword, bloody ink trail, and the pen on the shirt without the background.

I'd buy it if it were a simpler design, sans bg

kbalser

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kbalser
kbalser wrote:That is a really cute idea, however, like one other commenter noted, it breaks a lot of the rules of the derby.

My advise? Scrap the background. The idea would be MUCH better conveyed (and look 100 times better!) if it were just the sword, bloody ink trail, and the pen on the shirt without the background.

I'd buy it if it were a simpler design, sans bg

That was meant to be "Advice" not advise. Good go for a first derby, and good luck in future ones, pal.

walmazan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages walmazan
thatrobert wrote:

• This is not SPAM.

Thanks! I glad! and I love the badge

runnerfrog13

quality posts: 10 Private Messages runnerfrog13
Re: Spinach for Strength

Now this would be REALLY good if it was on a spinach-green shirt. As it is, the white can seems kinda lost on the white shirt to me

Lagbert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert

Although I'm drowning in shirts at the moment, and red shirts increase one odds of dying on an away mission, I really want to buy one. Get in the Fog!!!

Thanks for sharing your work in progress picture. It's always nice to see how other people develop their shirts.

If you don't mind me asking a few technical questions:

1. Do you do work with high res rastered images or do you do vectors?

2. How do you go about doing your color separations?

Thanks! Awesome shirt! GMV!

Lagbert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert

Considering Disney now own Marvel, I don't think anyone would dare to touch this with a 20 foot pole lest they get sued by the Mouse's lawyers.

On the positive side - You've done an excellent job rending the hulk and you've made excellent use of your colors.