colegrove713

quality posts: 2 Private Messages colegrove713

Awesome. In for two. After reading all the negative comments, I might buy a third. Aside from the dark humor of the shirt design, races for cures are generally an inefficient use of raising money. Awareness, yes. Money, no.

Besides, did anyone comment that the Cookie Monster shirt on the Reckoning "The Binge" is a bad example for alcoholics and/or those with eating disorders?

I love BootsBoots's humor. I voted for this design in the Derby and am happy others appreciated the humor.

twilshire

quality posts: 0 Private Messages twilshire

I dig it, Boots. Ya done it again. When will the keychain and wristban be available?

Timothy J. Wilshire

lostnightsoul

quality posts: 10 Private Messages lostnightsoul

"It was totally awesome, I mean only a few of us were there, but we were like, let's go to the mall for Pac-Man & cheese fries instead" - lostnightsoul

yeawuteva

quality posts: 115 Private Messages yeawuteva
bixmaschine wrote:can we get it in moisture wicking instead of cotton?! i'd wear this every time i ran.

not only moisture wicking shirts, but shirts with logo's on a breast pocket, back of shirt logo's, long sleeve option, hoodie option, all would be nice woot. Whoever is in charge over there please step up your game. Thanks!!!

professore

quality posts: 3 Private Messages professore

I really like this on its own merit, but the fact that people are so easily offended by things like this makes it all the more tempting. I'm trying to stretch my disability check through the rest of the month, but I'll probably end up getting one at $15 later on.

Unless, of course, someone feels like organizing a benefit of some sort in my honor..?

*not a real professor...

rachelwootswii

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rachelwootswii
yeawuteva wrote:I was going to buy this shirt then I realized the figure on the shirt is wearing #44-
that is:
The retired numbers for former baseball players Hank Aaron, Willie McCovey and Reggie Jackson

Retired NFL Numbers: Floyd Little (Denver Broncos) and Pete Retzlaff (Philadelphia Eagles)

Retired NBA Numbers: Dan Issel, (Denver Nuggets); Jerry West (L.A. Lakers); Paul Westphal (Phoenix Suns); Sam Lacey (Sacramento Kings); and George Gervin (San Antonio Spurs).

I don't think they would appreciate it if they saw me wear it, and me personally, I don't want to offend legend.

unless you see these people on a regular basis, why does this matter?

i have to think about this one, though. i'm limiting myself to 3 shirts a month...difficult decisions.

brc4cats

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brc4cats
madcran wrote:I was born in that year. I might buy it specifically for that.

That is kinda why I bought it. My mom was diagnosed with early signs of breast cancer but got it removed and now she is cancer free, She would not find this offending at all, she would probably think it is funny.... I bought one

Woot until you can woot no more!!!

colegrove713

quality posts: 2 Private Messages colegrove713
rachelwootswii wrote:unless you see these people on a regular basis, why does this matter?

i have to think about this one, though. i'm limiting myself to 3 shirts a month...difficult decisions.

Obviously that person went to wikipedia (like I just did). What I thought was even more interesting is that the current US prez is the 44th.

blankzero

quality posts: 2 Private Messages blankzero

I do not find anything offensive about a shirt that encourages me to raise money for a potentially good cause.

renkenr

quality posts: 7 Private Messages renkenr
blankzero wrote:I do not find anything offensive about a shirt that encourages me to raise money for a potentially good cause.

Raising money for TBA... like the Bluths.

kimmux

quality posts: 4 Private Messages kimmux

Maybe it makes me a hypocrite, but I would add this shirt to a rotation with actual fund/awareness raising shirts. I embrace the fickleness of our species.

jestaples

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jestaples

Yay, congrats!

CrescentDebris

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CrescentDebris
blankzero wrote:I do not find anything offensive about a shirt that encourages me to raise money for a potentially good cause.

It's because of how it's worded. Some people read as if it's saying children and Africa are diseases. "Race for a cure for something like cancer or diabetes." Others read it as "Race for a cure to help children and Africa" and feel all happy inside. I personally don't get offended by anything unless it's specifically about me. Trashing my gender or race is whatever. But not everyone is like that. So in that way, I think the wording could have been better. But hey, 1220 votes say otherwise.

Regardless of the popularity or intention, be careful about wearing it depending on where you live or visit. That 44 might end up being the body count.

arcturusk1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arcturusk1

Holy freakin gristle, I seriously think this may be the shirt that convinces me to make my first shirt.woot purchase.

Boots, this shirt is awesome. I'll have to try and look up the apathy coalition. Don't let the haters get to you. People will seriously complain about ANYTHING. Can we get an anti-PC-police?

PS - Looked up the Apathy Coalition. Also awesome. May get it later, if it's still there. Or something. Whatever. :P

F**k it, we'll do it live.

Kalari

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Kalari

So glad this won! I was pulling for it from the very beginning. I remember all the races for the cause-of-the-month -- where else do you think today's celebrities learned how to jump on the Trendy Cause Bandwagon?

Got my order in!

• (25)shirt.woots
  • (1) Bag o' Crap! 9/22/10

panthiest

quality posts: 17 Private Messages panthiest

heh, I've been training to run a marathon too... gota get it

thirdfuerst

quality posts: 1 Private Messages thirdfuerst

First shirt purchase, first (and probably last) time on this comment thread...

But wait...I may just benefit from reading your opinion regarding the obvious or your knee-jerk PC commentary...on second though, nah...

My mother had a hysterectomy 10 years ago; two other dear friends (one over the age of 50, the other only 22) had them within the past five years. Each of them would find this funny as hell. My mother jokes about erasing the evidence of having had me (I can't wait for the obvious rejoinder).

I've volunteered for two Nike Women's Marathons and supported several friends in participating Race for the Cure and Team in Training. If you don't like the shirt, do what most people do when guilt and a pledge card are shoved under their nose: shut the hell up and move on.

jessmanch

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jessmanch

I kinda sorta want this shirt.. maybe. If there's SOMETHING that needs curing... how could I pass the opportunity up?

HeartlineTwist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HeartlineTwist

Bought this so hard!

Cantatus

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Cantatus

I fully support curing children. We need to figure out some way to age them 18 years in a moment. Think of all the jobs that would come back to America if we could skirt child labor laws!

/strokes his cat and laughs maniacally.

cleverconveyence

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cleverconveyence

Think my e-crush for bootsboots just increased like fivefold. This is fantastic.

Number of shirt.woots in 08: 23 (not counting randoms and shirts bought for friends)
number of shirt.woots in 09: 2 (same criteria)

oze6000

quality posts: 3 Private Messages oze6000

I'll buy it if i can get a tax write-off

mybell

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mybell

Personally I really like this shirt.

It used to be that the majority of my mail seems to be for charity requests. While they all seem great, there are just way too many to respond to them all and the paper costs, mailing costs, and all the free gifts they send, at times seems to be such a waste of money.

Great shirt, Boots, congratulations. Think I will go race for the cause.

professore

quality posts: 3 Private Messages professore
lilmuskrat66 wrote:Ohh yeah... It sounds like it's saying "Race for a cure for something...like Africa." Which seems extremely racist. Like were trying to cure the world of Africa. So I approve.

I heart you so much.

*not a real professor...

Jestik

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik

way to go, Boots!!

I hope to wear this during the possibly upcoming Hands Across America II

congrats on another great win!

thewronggrape

quality posts: 49 Private Messages thewronggrape

You know what this shirt reminds me of:

"I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uhmmm, some people out there in our nation don't have maps and uh, I believe that our, I, education like such as uh, South Africa, and uh, the Iraq, everywhere like such as, and I believe that they should, uhhh, our education over here in the US should help the US, uh, should help South Africa, it should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future, for us."

To me, the shirt is not offensive and is a statement on how people can say something seemingly pithy like "We need to help Africa," without really knowing what they're talking about. That's why the shirt is so nonsensical and is making fun of "buzz causes" with people not really knowing what they're talking about. It's like the Derek Zoolander Center For Children Who Can't Read Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too.

I hope I'm making sense.

soybeanio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages soybeanio

We need to unite NOW to race for a cure for children! Help us rid ourselves of these...youths! We adults would NEVER have done such a thing!

hosabosa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hosabosa
CrescentDebris wrote:It's because of how it's worded. Some people read as if it's saying children and Africa are diseases. "Race for a cure for something like cancer or diabetes." Others read it as "Race for a cure to help children and Africa" and feel all happy inside. I personally don't get offended by anything unless it's specifically about me. Trashing my gender or race is whatever. But not everyone is like that. So in that way, I think the wording could have been better. But hey, 1220 votes say otherwise.

Regardless of the popularity or intention, be careful about wearing it depending on where you live or visit. That 44 might end up being the body count.

This.

I get the shirt, people. I really do. And I applaud it for being quite clever conceptually.

But, seriously, you had better consider your bodily health when wearing this shirt. I honestly don't think you'd be beaten on by wishy-washy, overly priveleged (and, come on, let's be honest, most likely white) persons of means. The wording is most definitely incisive... in the way it was intended but in a racist, *unintended* way too.

I'm just sayin' watch your back is all. Good luck!

audient

quality posts: 2 Private Messages audient

When I saw "Race for the cure for SOMETHING" and 1982, I thought this was a joke about AIDS.

AIDS didn't have a name until mid-1982 -- till then it went through a series of different names, as doctors were trying to figure out what it was and what caused it.

I'll pass.

oscarmaris

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oscarmaris
madcran wrote:I was born in that year. I might buy it specifically for that.

yeah I bought it for that reason. I think I had to.

BootsBoots

quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
thewronggrape wrote:You know what this shirt reminds me of:

"I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uhmmm, some people out there in our nation don't have maps and uh, I believe that our, I, education like such as uh, South Africa, and uh, the Iraq, everywhere like such as, and I believe that they should, uhhh, our education over here in the US should help the US, uh, should help South Africa, it should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future, for us."

To me, the shirt is not offensive and is a statement on how people can say something seemingly pithy like "We need to help Africa," without really knowing what they're talking about. That's why the shirt is so nonsensical and is making fun of "buzz causes" with people not really knowing what they're talking about. It's like the Derek Zoolander Center For Children Who Can't Read Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too.

I hope I'm making sense.

Thanks for the good explanation. I wasn't going to type all that out, but I'm glad someone did and you said it better than I could. Nice Miss South Carolina (teen?) quote.

Thanks everyone, I'm glad so many people like the humor! It gives me hope! For the children...

BootsBoots

yeawuteva wrote:I was going to buy this shirt then I realized the figure on the shirt is wearing #44-
that is:
The retired numbers for former baseball players Hank Aaron, Willie McCovey and Reggie Jackson

Retired NFL Numbers: Floyd Little (Denver Broncos) and Pete Retzlaff (Philadelphia Eagles)

Retired NBA Numbers: Dan Issel, (Denver Nuggets); Jerry West (L.A. Lakers); Paul Westphal (Phoenix Suns); Sam Lacey (Sacramento Kings); and George Gervin (San Antonio Spurs).

I don't think they would appreciate it if they saw me wear it, and me personally, I don't want to offend legend.

Actually, "No. 44" is a character from a Mark Twain story. I never read the book, but I used to watch the movie all the time when I was a kid. It came out in 1982.

There's no real relevance there, it just stuck out in my mind as a number because of that.

Sokudoningyou

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Sokudoningyou

If it had been 1981, I'd buy it. But 1982? I was a year old. Tch.

And my died survived prostate cancer, my three grandparents all died of various cancers, and I think it's funny. Seriously. Racing for ____ Cure has gotten to be so prevalent, almost no one cares anymore. Does the race even raise enough money? I don't believe so; it's like a weak band-aid over people's feelings because they jogged a few blocks and got a T-shirt.

/serious issues

stewy0327

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stewy0327
Xihix wrote:I actually really like this shirt, but a close friend recently passed away from cancer, so I'm not sure if I should get it or not. What's even more ironic is that I'll be running, or at least walking, a marathon in like three weeks to raise more awareness for cancer and in her honor... I'm so conflicted.

You should buy it and wear it to the run/walk. See what people say, life is short have fun

ginbak

quality posts: 10 Private Messages ginbak

Love this shirt. I bought one.

I was probably at that rally in 1982.

lowra921

quality posts: 15 Private Messages lowra921

Give to the Human Foundation: Money for People!

atiecay

quality posts: 1 Private Messages atiecay

I WOULD buy this, even at the risk of offending my family full of fundraisers and race-for-a-whatever participants, because I think it's hilarious...

However, the different color at the bottom of the circle drives me crazy and I think I would notice it every time I got the shirt out to put on. I know that's stupid, but those things really irritate me.

valianteffort

quality posts: 29 Private Messages valianteffort
lowra921 wrote:Give to the Human Foundation: Money for People!

Better yet, I'll give to the Bootsboots Foundation with one charitable purchase of this shirt

mikem3223

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikem3223

I love the humor. Does anyone know what the brand of shirt they print this design on is?

Michael J. Murray

BootsBoots

mikem3223 wrote:I love the humor. Does anyone know what the brand of shirt they print this design on is?

American Apparel.