kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
cmdixon2 wrote:It makes me sad that my entry knocked this out of the fog.

It's beautifully vibrant and looks amazing on the shirt.

It wasn't your shirt...

It is UNBELIEVABLE, literally, that Ramy's shirt is in. Almost as unbelievable that this one is out.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

TheAitch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TheAitch

Oooh, I love it now!
GMV!

jmmbell1987

quality posts: 78 Private Messages jmmbell1987
tonitonitone wrote:This is just plain mean. Are you just upset he has more friends than you?

Funny thing is, winning due to having more friends than other designers would itself be a massive hole in the voting system.

kylemittskus

It is literally UNBELIEVABLE that this is in the fog.

I hate to do this since it's actually been a while since anything "weird" has happened but... come on! Out of nowhere, this comes into the fog when there is a marked absence of people who claim to love this shirt. Obviously, there are a few, but nowhere near the normal number.

Ezshrkman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Ezshrkman
Re: Mad Love

Man that gets lemon juice in the eye!
I really liked this one!Loco Luminescence

kylemittskus

Re: Oh gristle

I get that it's LRRH, but who's the blue one?

Ezshrkman

TheAitch wrote:Oooh, I love it now!
GMV!

Thank you so much! I worked really hard on this Simple Angler fish =).
I am new to all this designing stuff … I can’t wait to learn more and get better =)

Loco Luminescence

GNitro

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GNitro
tonitonitone wrote:This is just plain mean. Are you just upset he has more friends than you?

I thought this was a nice design, and I could tell the elements very clearly (birds, grim reaper, skulls .. ) The colors works, I like the splashes of mixed medias. I voted for this and my vote isn't rigged.

You haven't noticed the hatred people have for Ramy yet? It's sad that no matter what he does, people post some of the worst comments on his stuff, regardless if it is good or not.

I for one wish woot would try and stop the animosity that occurs towards some of the artists on this site. Most of it is rather petty.

kylemittskus

kylemittskus wrote:It wasn't your shirt...

It is UNBELIEVABLE, literally, that Ramy's shirt is in. Almost as unbelievable as the fact that this one is out.

SubBass49

quality posts: 3 Private Messages SubBass49
GNitro wrote:You haven't noticed the hatred people have for Ramy yet? It's sad that no matter what he does, people post some of the worst comments on his stuff, regardless if it is good or not.

I for one wish woot would try and stop the animosity that occurs towards some of the artists on this site. Most of it is rather petty.

I haven't even been around for long and I've noticed that. There is definitely a strong "cute design" contingent here, and I could see why they don't like his style. That said, I think they go a bit overboard in hating on his artwork.

kylemittskus

SubBass49 wrote:I haven't even been around for long and I've noticed that. There is definitely a strong "cute design" contingent here, and I could see why they don't like his style. That said, I think they go a bit overboard in hating on his artwork.

You think this will make a good shirt?

(To start with only one of the multiple problems surrounding this submission.)

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 214 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: UFegg

Absolutely one of my favorites this week!

Ezshrkman

Re: Blood text

This is strangly awesome!
Loco Luminescence

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 214 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: Oh gristle

Holy awesome collab! GMV!

That is one scary real looking shadow animal... I can only do the quacking goose head. And mayyybe a rabbit in a pinch.

bandit55

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bandit55
Re: The Clockmaker

I came back to look at this again, and I just noticed the moon, sun, stars, and clouds at the top. Yet, another nice detail. Somehow, I missed it the first time around.

SubBass49

kylemittskus wrote:You think this will make a good shirt?

(To start with only one of the multiple problems surrounding this submission.)

Sure.

I think for some people it would make a really nice shirt. I'm not one of those people though.

1. I'm not a big fan of black shirts.
2. I'm not a big fan of using those colors on black shirts.
3. The design isn't anything I would wear.

SubBass49

Re: Vampire Photo Booth

Pretty funny, though I thought it was sunlight that killed vampires, not artificial light. Still an amusing design though. Props.

mcdonalg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mcdonalg
Re: College Madness

Well, I'm a noob. It looks like it squished my jpeg a bit but oh well. Anyway, this isn't really supposed to be confined to just college, but it best defines my college experience. I would always drink in an effort to meet women and end up just passing out instead. Which is the definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results (the caption before I realized I couldn't use text).

SubBass49

Re: College Madness

LoL...so true...so true...

rowanofrin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rowanofrin
Re: 1 ok 2 ok 3 ok 4 ok

Now this is just pure madness epitomised. I cannot fathom anything more mad. I...I love you, Edgar.

kylemittskus

SubBass49 wrote:Sure.

I think for some people it would make a really nice shirt. I'm not one of those people though.

1. I'm not a big fan of black shirts.
2. I'm not a big fan of using those colors on black shirts.
3. The design isn't anything I would wear.

All of those things aside -- and you being a designer -- this shirt is unbearable. It is impossible to tell what it is unless you're inches away, and even then, it's nearly impossible. There is not enough contrast between ink and palate, no delineation between images, etc. etc. etc.

Westlyftw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Westlyftw
bandit55 wrote:I came back to look at this again, and I just noticed the moon, sun, stars, and clouds at the top. Yet, another nice detail. Somehow, I missed it the first time around.

Yeah, the second time I looked at the larger image the artist posted, and I noticed what I believe to be pill bottles on the right side of the clockmaker's desk, and the glowing eyes of whatever little horror lurks inside the door of the cuckoo clock towards the bottom of the design.

Also the bandages on the clockmaker's fingers clearly illustrate that he has been at this for far to long. You know, as if the flying phantom clocks weren't enough proof of such conclusions.

This design is simply amazing.

Drakxxx

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Drakxxx

This really needs to be in the top 10. Please voters, vote. It's breaking my heart that we have a madness contest and Edgar's isn't in the top.

Drakxxx

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Drakxxx
SubBass49 wrote:PARANOIA - telescope/helicopter blade/ghostly skeletal teeth in the smoke/CCTV camera

MANIC CREATIVITY - the random & abstract shapes & forms

IRRATIONAL FEAR OF DEATH - The scythe & the sword blade

This design basically started out as a pencil sketch...scanned at 300dpi grayscale...and colorized in photoshop 5. The one thing I don't like about it is the roughness of the pencil lines after scanning. They're not smooth enough for my liking, and I don't know if theres a solution for that in photoshop 5.

Keep in mind, I'm a total newbie here. I understand you're kind of a big-shot within the woot shirt community though, so any advice you might have for me would be really appreciated.

Ah, thanks man, I'm far from a big shot though.

I scan a sketch in at 300 DIP, and then go over it on a top layer with black. I usually add a bunch of stuff in at this time to. then on layers underneath I add each of the colors.

I would love to see the stuff inside the skull a little more clearly, since now that you've explained what they are and represent, I'm linking the design even more, it's a great concept.

cmdixon2

quality posts: 21 Private Messages cmdixon2
Re: My Little Box

I love all the spooky eyes. Very creepy. Love the way this one turned out.

eye4spot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eye4spot
Re: Loco Luminescence

NICE!!!!! GMV

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 112 Private Messages DianaSprinkle
Re: Shadow Madness

Shadow Madness.

Lagbert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert

Nice new composition picture. The details show up a lot better now.

There are a number of quick ways to darken up your lines.

Use the curves tool - ton of tutorials out there

Use the levels tool - not as versatile as the curves tool, but can be used to increase the contrast.

Use tracing paper and a fine tip marker or pen to make a really clean pre-scan image.

Trace your image with a vector program like illustrator or inkscape. This is a lot more time consuming but can give you really clean results. I typically rough something out with pencil, trace it if it got too messy during the initial sketching phase, scan it, vectorize it in inkscape. Right now the vectorization process is the slowest aspect of my work flow.

Hope this is info is helpful

eye4spot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eye4spot

Most people will vote for the familiar...this is wonderfully outside-of-the-box...If it does not get to the top three, I hope the the woot staff pick this as an EC and offer it for sale soon!

GTAcrimelord

quality posts: 2 Private Messages GTAcrimelord
Re: Pinkerton

I dig this a lot. Good luck, and I hope I will get an opportunity to snag this one up.

Day of Glory: 1/31/07 3:22pm cst
Random Brick of Carbonite (x3)

marzipanapple

quality posts: 7 Private Messages marzipanapple
Re: Vampire Photo Booth

See? What did I tell ya? In the fog again already.;)

hewtab

quality posts: 3 Private Messages hewtab
Re: Hello, would you like a balloon?

Omelets made great this is great :D

marzipanapple

quality posts: 7 Private Messages marzipanapple
kylemittskus wrote:I get that it's LRRH, but who's the blue one?

Oddly enough, I hadn't meant for her to be LRRH(I know, the wolf seems relevant to who she is, but I promise it's not intentional). I just really like babushkas/head scarves.

Abilenee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Abilenee

GO BACK INTO THE FOG, you delicious shirt. I must wear you soon.

Fantastic madness, Edgar. =)

Ezshrkman

eye4spot wrote:NICE!!!!! GMV

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Loco Luminescence

SubBass49

Re: Madness Unleashed REDUX

Draxx & Lagbert -

Thanks again for the tips & advice. You're helping me immensely here! I like the tracing paper & ink idea. I've never been a big fan of illustrator (even though I learned it back in the 90s in a graphic design program). I may try out some of the other stuff you guys said, but for now I'm most likely going to be a strictly hand-drawn designer.

Good luck on the derby!

SubBass49

kylemittskus wrote:All of those things aside -- and you being a designer -- this shirt is unbearable. It is impossible to tell what it is unless you're inches away, and even then, it's nearly impossible. There is not enough contrast between ink and palate, no delineation between images, etc. etc. etc.

For some design work I actually LIKE that sort of stuff. Given the subject matter I think it's OK to have some stuff in there that's murky and hidden...it kind of works with the concept of madness. That fleeting realm between dream and reality, where nothing is solid or easy to define.

Like I said, it's nothing I would wear, but I like it more artistically than a lot of the "cutesy" (for lack of a better term) designs.

thejapanesefrog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thejapanesefrog

The feeling that keeps rich people getting richer not matter what they have to do doesn't have another name. Enjoy it

jmmbell1987

SubBass49 wrote:That fleeting realm between dream and reality, where nothing is solid or easy to define.

Some intentional lack of clarity might be defensible. But this design literally looks like a blob of indiscernible mass. It's not that some of the details are unclear, but rather that they're all lumped together like a rubber band ball.

jmmbell1987

Re: Pinkerton

For my money, this is the best design in the fog at this point. Great work!