TheAitch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TheAitch

Damnit! What was I thinking??

http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=40848

sakleehop

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sakleehop
SnowQueenVT wrote:OOOO great word megalomania!!.....Did you ever get my reply to your PM? (or did I send it to myself?

Yes Snow - I did get you PM - and there is no need at all to apologize. You have a fascinating background and I loved reading how it has made you the artist you are today. You should write your own story and keep it (along with all your artwork - including derby entries) for your kids.
It's a great life story for sure.

Again - love your work - and finally, you're getting the votes!

KaylaJ

quality posts: 22 Private Messages KaylaJ
Lagbert wrote:The most common form of color blindness (the one I have) makes it hard to distinguish between certain shades - this neon green just unfortunately happens to be in one of my color confusion zones.

i have a problem when colors combine, i call it color confusion , so yeah, i'm seeing more of a neon urine yellow as well

sakleehop

Re: The Two Sides of Madness

Really - how did this shoot into the fog so quickly? A majority of the comments are negative so...who's voting for it? This is confusing at best and suspicious at worst.

CapSea

quality posts: 54 Private Messages CapSea
marzipanapple wrote:Oddly enough, I hadn't meant for her to be LRRH(I know, the wolf seems relevant to who she is, but I promise it's not intentional). I just really like babushkas/head scarves.

Interesting. Had the blue one's creature been a rabbit, it would have been a war between two imaginations.

snarkygal

quality posts: 4 Private Messages snarkygal
Re: 1 ok 2 ok 3 ok 4 ok

Oh Edgar, this Derby is made for you but the Wooters just don't appreciate you. I want 2 of these. 1 to wear until it falls apart and 1 for backup. This is so awesome. GMV for sure and in case this prints, this is a definite buy for me.

sakleehop

Re: The Lady who Lives in the Woods

These kids have to be "crazy" to go anywhere near this old lady - even for such awesome candy. Another amazing design Snow - you're really on for this derby! Good luck to you.

fairnymph

quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph
Stellardig wrote:Yes it is. The color in RGB is R-60 G-0 B-60

YAY! Voted.

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

sakleehop

Re: The Nutty Nut Cracker!

Really cute - but what happened to the Napoleon design. I could have sworn I saw it in the derby and now I can't find it. Am I imagining that you entered it? I really loved it.

sakleehop

Re: Arachnophobia

O.K. this just hit my spider phobia nerve big time - My skin is crawling and I fear it'll infect my dreams tonight. Yikes!!!!!

sakleehop

Re: Cuckoo Clock

Really? Not cool.

rawker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rawker
Re: Crazy like A Fox Distressed

its clever, i would remove the BG tho

loveengrey

quality posts: 5 Private Messages loveengrey

Wow there's so much more going on here than just paint splatter. I love how you made art thats typically meant for toddlers into a damn good design with a lot of complexity and meaning. Great job with both of your submissions in this derby.

tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
dpbowl842 wrote:Reminds me of this one.

I don't see any correlation at all, those are clearly gel caps and mine are tablets

loveengrey

quality posts: 5 Private Messages loveengrey

For some reason this shirt reminds me a lot of the game Twister haha. I really like it though. I think a lot of artists kinda go through this phase =p

tomalley6

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tomalley6
Re: Taco Jesus

Reject because of celebrity likeness?

tjost

Great work on this one snow. I love those trees in the background. A piece of advice though (so you don't go crazy) the amount of detail you have on parts of this piece (like the kids) looks nice zoomed in but won't print once it gets to a shirt. Sometimes less is more. Imply detail but don't sweat the small stuff with tee art. No ones going to be looking at the art from 6 inches away, at least I hope not, that could be uncomfortable and awkward. Block out your basic shapes and add just enough detail to get the point across. Keep lines to about a point, half a point at the smallest. It will save you time and frustration and let you enjoy sleep and your kids more Keep it up though, and again I love those trees

tjost

A good example of what I just said in my above comment is look at the two lollipops in the witches hand. The one on the right looks nice and has a good level of detail on it especially for how small on the final shirt it will be (remember try to keep a perspective on total print size and individual elements of your design while making it) the one on the left looks maybe a little too busy and adds smaller elements that may not come through once the screen is burned. You can apply that principal to other parts in the design too. Anyways, I'm done talking now, good job

GNitro

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GNitro
sakleehop wrote:Really - how did this shoot into the fog so quickly? A majority of the comments are negative so...who's voting for it? This is confusing at best and suspicious at worst.

Because not everyone who votes comments on designs. Winning designs have 700 to over 1000 votes easily, so obviously not everyone comes in to comment.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: Vampire Photo Booth

Oh fudge, this doesn't seem fair.

I made this especially for the derby thinking hard about a moment of madness. And I clearly wrote and showed the halftone dots, both here and in the submission message to Woot. All that effort... ;_;

Thanks to everyone who voted and sent me nice comments.

GNitro

I love this shirt. Anything that gives me a reason to wear a design with pink in it that doesn't look too girly is a win in my book.

GNitro

Another great submission and work man! Very creepy, and I love it. I'll buy it even though I don't need any more gray shirts.

karencov

quality posts: 0 Private Messages karencov

Ugh! I am completely disappointed. This was my favorite shirt in a long time, and I certainly would have purchased one (or more). Fantastic job!

fairnymph

quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph
orzine wrote:i am willing ramyb has two talents. he can color attractively, and he knows what will sell best. but time after time, when he travels outside his comfort zone of nauseously cute designs and formless swirly halftones, you can start to see hot little talent he actually has. he cannot draw proper anatomy to save his life, just look at his win from the luck derby and the "chest hands" on the dinosaur. he gets lemon juice in the eye at perspective, just look at his rocket turtle win. he gets lemon juice in the eye at making work expressive, especially faces. if you take a design like this, you can break it down into alot of pre-designed elements; the skulls, the butterfly from the previous derby, the blond woman that probably came from tracing a stock photo, the birds which are most likely stock vectors, the splatter that even a gorilla can create, and the vague outline of a man. none of that requires any talent. and none of it actually displays any talent.

keep in mind that i am willing to admit he has a great talent in coloring. he has come a long way from just overusing the dodge and burn tools. but please dont tell me that this design shows a talent in illustration. it just doesnt.

the talent he doesnt show so obviously is his great ability to look at a contest or system and figure out how to cheat and manipulate it for maximum monetary gain for himself. that and looking like a victim to evoke empathy.

and if i am wrong about that, then he definitely has a talent to herd a massive amounts of mindless voters garnered from other sites to vote up his designs.

so dont call me a hater, im willing to give credit where it is due

I have not taken the time to examine this particular piece or his other artsy pieces to determine whether they were constructed from the ground up or not.

Do I respect artists who clearly start from scratch more? Absolutely. But I think that an artist who knows how to combine preconstructed elements in an appealing fashion is still an artist, and that doing that still requires talent and most of all, a good eye.

There are many artists here and everywhere who have loads and loads of 'talent from scratch' and yet their work has no appeal to me at all. To me, art is ultimately about BEAUTY and APPEAL - so if ramyb's design LOOKS GOOD AND MAKES ME HAPPY - it serves its purpose as good art.

I absolutely HATE lots of ramyb's stuff. But there have been some designs I have really, really admired and coveted - this is one, and the Victorian lady by the sea is another (one of my favourite woot designs of all time, possibly).

Even if an an artist produces a lot of work I despise, I'll still consider each new piece with an open mind.

The only artist I always vote for on principle is Drakxxx...there is no one I would 'never' vote for, however.

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

Ezshrkman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Ezshrkman
Re: ailurophobia

Wrong! just wrong!

Ezshrkman

SnowQueenVT wrote:Ha ha Ezshrkman. He is paranoid by himself in the dark that is funny! I like the addition of the teeth! I also like the nice clean design and the strong character, and the colors too,

You Rock SnowQueenVT!
Thank you!
Loco Luminescence

SnowQueenVT

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SnowQueenVT

v

tjost wrote:A good example of what I just said in my above comment is look at the two lollipops in the witches hand. The one on the right looks nice and has a good level of detail on it especially for how small on the final shirt it will be (remember try to keep a perspective on total print size and individual elements of your design while making it) the one on the left looks maybe a little too busy and adds smaller elements that may not come through once the screen is burned. You can apply that principal to other parts in the design too. Anyways, I'm done talking now, good job

I will take any and all advice you give me happily! I told you before how when your cookie monster shirt arrived we just laid it out and marveled at it...and part of it's magic was exactly the advice you just gave me...the same with your crazy pills entry this week, those little pills are nice and clean, you are free to enjoy the faces (...and the bottle color is perfect...). Thankyou so much tjost , free advice from the king!

http://www.wix.com/scottgreenip/snowqueenvt

SnowQueenVT

Re: Captain Ahab

sakleehop wrote:Yes Snow - I did get you PM - and there is no need at all to apologize. You have a fascinating background and I loved reading how it has made you the artist you are today. You should write your own story and keep it (along with all your artwork - including derby entries) for your kids.
It's a great life story for sure.

Again - love your work - and finally, you're getting the votes!

Good morning night owl! That is a great idea, I will print all this out,
the whole family enjoys this so it would make a special book for us!
(the derby printouts..)Have a great day! Bye for now!

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
Re: Arachnophobia

AWesome illo, but - ewwww!

paigeg

Re: ailurophobia

No offense to anyone, but why is this still here? If cutting a dog inhalf gets a rejection, so should whacking a cat.

lhackbar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lhackbar

LOVE IT! gmv

paigeg

sakleehop wrote:Really? Not cool.

Definitely. It seems there is a small contigent for whom mandess entails offing pets. I'll grant it's true, but I dont' want to see it on a shirt.

Ezshrkman

Re: 9 mad'cacti

very odd... I love it!
GMV!
Loco Luminescence

Ezshrkman

SnowQueenVT

Re: The Lady who Lives in the Woods (resub)

Here's some close-ups!

fabiofranca

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fabiofranca
eye4spot wrote:Dude, The design is great and you GMV, but you do need to re-sub...missing the shirt mock-up = rejection.

Is it on topic? did not get it.

phild3791

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phild3791
Lagbert wrote:Can you give us a close up of the half tones?

Woot may reject it if they classify it as gradients or blends.

"Legbert" Here is the Detail photo. Do you know the rules for halftone, like min size of dots and stuff like that? This is my second derby and the rules seem a little fuzzy. Thanks for the feedback.

albinoapple

quality posts: 2 Private Messages albinoapple
Re: The Clockmaker

Last night my boyfriend and I oogled your design for a while, especially all the detail! Now we have to (hopefully) fight over who gets it...

jupilberry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jupilberry
handsomeape wrote:yeah! or you could stick your arms inside your shirt, I wanted to make it go all the way to the edge but the space that is given for the design doesn't allow for that.
thanks for stopping by.

Like this?

http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=40727

SnowQueenVT

Re: The Lady who Lives in the Woods (resub)

Ezshrkman wrote:wow! Great colors 2!
GMV!
Loco Luminescence

Thanks Ezsrkman! As I said last night, I still love your paranoid angler fish (alone in the dark!) Have a great day!