BansheeDauntle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BansheeDauntle
Re: Stuck in a Mad TOWN

It kind of looks like WI and I'm from Madison, thus it has my vote... Madtown = Madison for all you amateurs.

Reawen

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Reawen
mcdonalg wrote:I don't know if you're part of the woot staff or just a concerned citizen of the forum. Given that this is my first submission and that I'm not going to "win" or even receive an honorable mention I'm surprised you've returned to my design twice to criticize it. That being said I'll consider what you've said for my next submission.

I'm not sure if you intended it, or if it just comes off that way in the way written posts without benefits of expressions do, but it sounds like your kind of down on mjc613 having left the posts... just FYI, I'm pretty sure s/he was trying to leave you helpful hints for future submissions, in case you actually want to try to be successful. Both of the comments left are typical of what most helpful people pass on to newbies so they can learn the ropes.

Also, the thing about rejections - most people will tell you when they see you've done something that will cause a rejection... because if you're actually trying to get votes and possibly win, it's better for you to resubmit a version that will pass the rejectionator sooner, rather than wait to be rejected, then submit late in the game (you don't usually get as many votes that way).

Anyway, like I said, I may have misinterpreted your post, because it's hard to tell without being able to interpret your tone. But shirt.woot has a well-developed community, and I think those were well-intentioned posts. Though I'm sure you'll inevitably get a lot harsher ones, too, if you stick around ^_^

kylemittskus

quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
Re: Madness: Ying and Yang

Fogged?!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

kylemittskus

banzaaiii wrote:the question you should really be asking is: "why do i bother getting upset over ramy designs week after week?", and you might try this one as well: "is my bickering over these designs doing any good?"

i cant help you with the first one, but the answer to the second is a definite "no".

Do you not see that you are doing the EXACT SAME THING??!!

kylemittskus

banzaaiii wrote:in what way am i trying to get people to not vote for a shirt?

You missed the soapbox thing, huh?

BansheeDauntle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BansheeDauntle
Re: Mad Ness Resubmission!

Nice use of color. Liked the original more but what can you do with color limits...

queboy89

quality posts: 0 Private Messages queboy89
kylemittskus wrote:Thanks for using this thread as a soapbox, hypocritically doing what you just accused others of.

I don't quite see that Banzaii is doing that. I get what he's saying, but Banzaii isn't making a scene; just explaining.

myeroshalmi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages myeroshalmi

im confused as well... its a good design and all but when did this get so high... and why are there 10 in the fog all the sudden... whats going on!!!!!!!

alisai

quality posts: 6 Private Messages alisai

Something seems fishy here.. 10 in the fog?

Woots - Brinkmann 3 Watt Luxeon LED Aluminum Flashlight x2
Shirt.Woots - Help From Above, Random Shirt x2 (Mother & Spicy Italian Meatball), Flying

SubBass49

quality posts: 3 Private Messages SubBass49

Ummm...waffles? they're fine?

SubBass49

SubBass49 wrote:Ummm...waffles? they're fine?

Dammit...brand new design - INSTANT fog? What the fuggs?

ufogrendaizer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ufogrendaizer
Re: ailurophobia

HELLO! Animal Abuse!!! waffles? they're fine!

Siax

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Siax
Re: The Gator Jumping Madman!

cant see the whole picture
and It might look better bigger
good Idea though

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
jmmbell1987 wrote:No one is anti-artist, or anti-style. The people who have criticized this design are anti-shirts that are indiscernible blobs. It has nothing to do with being against any particular style.

This comment is untrue. There are THOUSANDS of anti-artist wooters. Hence this design being in the fog at all. It cannot be called artistic. It's the same damn thing as always.

there are many many wooters who only ever praise a very small, very generic, very untalented subset of this site, and then spend the rest of their time implying the people who expect good work to win do nothing but complain and troll (though anyone who paid attention to the site would know such people DO regularly praise work, while the others literally only exist to support the worst of the worst).

It's obvious woot doesn't care. They have no desire to respect anyone except the ignorant masses and multiple fake accounts. Which is all the more reason we have to. So long as trolls are calling intelligent, factual art critique trolling, we have to fight if we truly care about intelligence and quality.

Siax

SubBass49 wrote:Dammit...brand new design - INSTANT fog? What the fuggs?

ya I saw that to........I have no Idea whats going on to tell you the truth
Hello woot please fix the problem

SubBass49

Re: Madness Unleashed REDUX

Question: Is it my color choices that are turning people off to this design? I mean, I have a background in color theory, but I understand some people are slow to embrace "different" combinations of color.

I'd just like to know for next time...

Gr1d

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Gr1d
Re: manic or depressive?

This is really cool, but does it violate the no bunny rule?

Take it slow bro.

coolestghoul

quality posts: 0 Private Messages coolestghoul

I think something is wrong with the calculation. It has gone from +8 to +10 to +11 on the "New Hotness" scale, and yet remains at +4 for the total.

To test, I took my vote off and it stayed at +4 for several minutes. I put my vote back ... and it is still at +4 ... what gives, Woot?

coolestghoul

quality posts: 0 Private Messages coolestghoul

Methinks something is wrong at the Woot database! I've been watching "The Kraken Attacks" getting lots of new votes on the "New Hotness" scale, and yet it remains at +4 ...

Maybe Woot is delivering its own brand of "madness" to the Derby!

kninerts

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kninerts

This is awesome! Reminds me of so many people I know. This will make a great birthday present for a friend if it prints! Good luck!

I am not confused, I am just well mixed. ~ R. Frost

Siax

coolestghoul wrote:Methinks something is wrong at the Woot database! I've been watching "The Kraken Attacks" getting lots of new votes on the "New Hotness" scale, and yet it remains at +4 ...

Maybe Woot is delivering its own brand of "madness" to the Derby!

I have to agree with you on this one

Siax

coolestghoul wrote:I think something is wrong with the calculation. It has gone from +8 to +10 to +11 on the "New Hotness" scale, and yet remains at +4 for the total.

To test, I took my vote off and it stayed at +4 for several minutes. I put my vote back ... and it is still at +4 ... what gives, Woot?

ya im having problems with my design, it got insta fogged

fairnymph

quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph
Re: The Clockmaker

Def my favourite of your two submissions this derby, though of course both got my vote, as always!

The concept of madness paired with a watchmaker/fixer makes me think of Sylar, the complex and awesome ubervillian from Heroes. This is a good association.

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

fairnymph

drakeji wrote:If this shirt prints, it's not going to look like anything. There's not enough contrast between the design and the shirt color.

I have a couple shirts with similar colour palettes on black and I think they print nicely. And you don't always WANT a ton of contrast, either -sometimes a bit of blending can look awesome, IMO.

fairnymph

AdderXYU wrote:This comment is untrue. There are THOUSANDS of anti-artist wooters. Hence this design being in the fog at all. It cannot be called artistic. It's the same damn thing as always.

there are many many wooters who only ever praise a very small, very generic, very untalented subset of this site, and then spend the rest of their time implying the people who expect good work to win do nothing but complain and troll (though anyone who paid attention to the site would know such people DO regularly praise work, while the others literally only exist to support the worst of the worst).

It's obvious woot doesn't care. They have no desire to respect anyone except the ignorant masses and multiple fake accounts. Which is all the more reason we have to. So long as trolls are calling intelligent, factual art critique trolling, we have to fight if we truly care about intelligence and quality.

You obviously feel very differently than I about this shirt, and I won't assume that you are grouping me with the 'anti-artists' for liking this shirt and voting for it...but, please, do realise that people can like a variety of styles and it doesn't make them anti-artist or mindless trolls or whatever. If you pay attention to my comments, you'll note that I try to be very fair and I comment much more about designs I like than those I dislike.

There can be discussion without b*tching and moaning, and that's a good thing!

fairnymph

hl474 wrote:you don't see the grim reaper?

I'm assuming that is sarcasm...bc definitely not.

fairnymph

Re: Lunacy

How'd I miss this! Awesome art, and I'm sort of anti-werewolf but this is just a GREAT interpretation of the theme along with fantastic execution.

tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
SubBass49 wrote:Question: Is it my color choices that are turning people off to this design? I mean, I have a background in color theory, but I understand some people are slow to embrace "different" combinations of color.

I'd just like to know for next time...

I think your colors are fine, it's probably a case of the roughness of the image (from your pencil scans) That being said I'm not sure I'd like that particular combo of colors emblazzed on my chest wether they work or not I learned Illustrator in the mid 90's too, it's come a ways since then but it's basics are the same. If you don't like it and your comfy with Photoshop I'd just ink in directly there. I do half my stuff in Photoshop and half in Illustrator if I want cleaner lines (plus the new blob brush is great and speeds up the work flow) Get a small tablet if you don't have one, I'd recommend a Wacom Bamboo 6x8 or if you can swing it an Wacom Intuos (the sensitivity gains are worth it and there's less lag to contribute to that floating pen feeling) Then in Photoshop import your scan, make a new layer and ink with a brush set to pressure sensitivity to control line weight. Voila!

drgribb

quality posts: 4 Private Messages drgribb
Re: The Mad Catterpillar's Party

This is awesome, would DEFINITELY buy. This combination is insaaaane. Alice in Wonderland is what's up.

iHaunter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iHaunter
coolestghoul wrote:I think something is wrong with the calculation. It has gone from +8 to +10 to +11 on the "New Hotness" scale, and yet remains at +4 for the total.

Its the Madness derby, what'd you expect?!

I like the design though.

CrescentDebris

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CrescentDebris
alisai wrote:Something seems fishy here.. 10 in the fog?

I've seen this happen once before on the newest entry. It was a design that had only been up for a few minutes though. Never seen one that was posted for a couple of hours getting False Fog status.

nbrosas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nbrosas

The false sense of hope woot has given you must be...

maddening...

YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH.

tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
CrescentDebris wrote:I've seen this happen once before on the newest entry. It was a design that had only been up for a few minutes though. Never seen one that was posted for a couple of hours getting False Fog status.

It looks like woots working on their back end, if you notice the stuff on the side where our names are has changed, they added a little icon for PM's and changed the layout of quality posts. Probably akin to highway construction at night, there doing it while traffic is low and hopefully they'll have it back together in the morning

pileup

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pileup
Re: Pinkerton

This is possibly the only shirt in pink that I will EVER wear willingly. And this coming from the girl who sees pink on a friend's webpage and goes SHUN!

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
Re: The Kraken Attacks

Cute, great color choices, totally off-topic. If this gets bumped I hope to see it back in another derby...

paigeg

It'll be interesting to see how things fall out when Woot gets its The Strangers (2008) back together. Right now, with an insta-fogged entry and another confirmed to have more votes than it's showing, I don't suppose we can trust any of the rankings...

paigeg

mcdonalg wrote:I don't know if you're part of the woot staff or just a concerned citizen of the forum. Given that this is my first submission and that I'm not going to "win" or even receive an honorable mention I'm surprised you've returned to my design twice to criticize it. That being said I'll consider what you've said for my next submission.

I'm quite sure the comment was meant as helpful. And lots of us comment on lots of designs, whether in the fog or not. Yeah, there's a lot of carping and a lot of cheerleading, but folks around here can actually be pretty darned helpful, too.

kenney9226

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kenney9226
eye4spot wrote:Rejected: Very confusing shirt mock up. I can't tell what's going on here.

I thought it would be rejected for the Chinese text behind all the lips (producing the voices?) which is clearly against the rules....madness is confusion, and although the design is not to my personal liking, I "get it".

Is it really Chinese text there? Because my intent was to make "an angry scribble," and any similarity to Chinese text, living or dead, is purely coincidental!

Happy Tuesday to all the fine wooters!

paigeg

Leahbh wrote:because most woot voters are stupid.

Or, more precisely, because this is such great art, it literally makes a bad t-shirt. I would love to have a print of this, but I wouldn't wear it in my chest.

fabiofranca

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fabiofranca

Is woot trying to make this artist crazy!!!