LunaVance

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LunaVance
paigeg wrote:Cute, great color choices, totally off-topic. If this gets bumped I hope to see it back in another derby...

I really like your use of color, you make 6 colors look like 15.

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
ThunderThighs wrote:Not Staff. Staff looks like this. Volunteer Mods have a title with their little box over there (<---) as well.

Weird, TT, your post looks just likeeveryone else's right now. Collateral damage from whatever you folks are doing down there in Texas?

paigeg

ufogrendaizer wrote:HELLO! Animal Abuse!!! waffles? they're fine!

I know, rite? I thought this should go the way of the dead dog, but apparently the rejectionator is on hiatus while Woot does whatever upgrades it's doing right now. I'm hoping this AND the poor, dead bird get axed.

paigeg

fairnymph wrote:I'm assuming that is sarcasm...bc definitely not.

No, not sarcasm, the reaper is there, on the shirt. You have to kindof 'upside-down' your brain, or literally turn up-side down to see it. The reaper is the shadow/antithesis of the angel that's the main focus.

jcrupper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jcrupper
shirtshark wrote:Taco Jesus is one of my favorite Jesuses

He is certainly a good one ... LOL!

Granddude2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Granddude2

I saw the bunny first and then the face as I was clicking on the entry. I didn't notice the carrot until I read your comment.

paigeg

tjost wrote: Voila!

THANK YOU, tjost! I'd commented to SubBass49 on the design, but I don't have the experience and terminology you do. I actually do like the colors, but they're risky and not for everyone. S/he'd wondered whether to resub and I recommended not, at this point. I'm learning from my own experience here - future subs I need to make sure I'm happy with my color choices before subbing.
That said, I'm gonna take the rest of your advice for myself, as well. I just purchased a tablet and it should arrive soon. I'm hoping to do a much better job with my lines once I teach myself to use it (hand-eye thing, not my forte!).
Thanks again!

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
tjost wrote:I think your colors are fine, it's probably a case of the roughness of the image (from your pencil scans) That being said I'm not sure I'd like that particular combo of colors emblazzed on my chest wether they work or not I learned Illustrator in the mid 90's too, it's come a ways since then but it's basics are the same. If you don't like it and your comfy with Photoshop I'd just ink in directly there. I do half my stuff in Photoshop and half in Illustrator if I want cleaner lines (plus the new blob brush is great and speeds up the work flow) Get a small tablet if you don't have one, I'd recommend a Wacom Bamboo 6x8 or if you can swing it an Wacom Intuos (the sensitivity gains are worth it and there's less lag to contribute to that floating pen feeling) Then in Photoshop import your scan, make a new layer and ink with a brush set to pressure sensitivity to control line weight. Voila!

I agree with what tjost says here. In my experience people don't like purple and green together. I like the way it looks in your design, but I don't think I'd wear a shirt with those color combos either.

I also agree about the pencil lines being just too rough. I've dropped the drawing on paper and scanning step and just draw everything directly in photoshop. I've been using illustrator since the early 90's, and am comfortable with it, ,but don't really have the patience to want to ink with it. If you're comfortable with beziers you can use a combo of photoshop's brush tool and path tool to get some pretty good results. Definitely get a Wacom tablet if you don't have one.

If you don't have and can't afford a tablet right now, you can get smoother results with scanning pencils, but your pencil drawing has to be really tight. What you'd have to do your drawing on something with a smooth surface, like hot press illustration board or bristol paper, scan into photoshop, and adjust the levels and curves till it looks like you inked it. It's done in comics all the time. Most of the time it's not as good as a skilled inker's work, but guys like J Scott Campbell are capable of producing piece where you'd never know the difference.

paigeg

Re: nychtophobia

I really love this design. It's simple and very evocative. I think my only quibble is that it's just a tad overly simple. It's flat, has no depth between the night (the shirt) and the girl. Some subtle shading in gray or even a deep purple around the 'opening' might give it some more depth. Hmmm. I'm not an expert. Maybe one of the others would chime in?

mg04

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mg04
Re: Crazy Straw

All of my shirts are BLUE!!! Please change the shirt color....

phild3791

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phild3791

Thanks JesseBYAH.

Thanks LunaVance. the best slogan I have heard so far is "Stop staring at my nuts"

Thanks to everyone for the votes and Feedback.

SubBass49

quality posts: 3 Private Messages SubBass49
Re: Madness Unleashed REDUX

Tjost & Odyssey -

You all rock. Along with the rest of the commenters here, you're helping me out by leaps & bounds and I appreciate it. I went ahead and installed Inkscape on my computer and will be messing around with it a bit to see what I can do, but I also like the tablet idea.

I have a bluetooth wacom tablet, but I haven't used it much and every time I open photoshop it says something about the tablet drivers being mismatched, so needless to say I have to do some trouble-shooting on that.

Hope the next derby is good and I can find the time to play around on it. Oh, and I'm probably going to stick with safer color choices until I'm more established!

monkeyswag

quality posts: 0 Private Messages monkeyswag
Re: Abducted for Life

Great idea, and it's delightfully delicious in purple.

SnowQueenVT

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SnowQueenVT
Re: And she seemed so normal...

I just read in the thread that you are getting a tablet!

Yay! A tablet for Paige! You are going to have SO MUCH FUN!!!

I entered this derby from dec-now and only got a tablet after the chinese zodiac derby. It took a few weeks for us to fall in love, but now , oh WOW, I am very happy for you.

Before I got the tablet I was drawing all my little details with the mouse
(which I call our rat because it's a big one!) It was such a habit that sometimes I still find myself using it again and I am like, "What am I doing?' Anyway Congratulations, so happy for you!!

I still love this version of your design, love the colors and the beautiful girl, I like her "dark" side too!

http://www.wix.com/scottgreenip/snowqueenvt

monkeyswag

quality posts: 0 Private Messages monkeyswag
Re: The Lady who Lives in the Woods (resub)

Congrats! Lovely work: full of humor, horror and hungry pangs. Your hard work really shines through with this one. GL. +1

SnowQueenVT

Re: The Lady who Lives in the Woods (resub)

monkeyswag wrote:Congrats! Lovely work: full of humor, horror and hungry pangs. Your hard work really shines through with this one. GL. +1

Monkeyswag, thankyou so much! You are perceptive and sensitive to notice the "Horror" aspect of this. When I was working on it I became increasingly upset at the sadness of this story (You know the children sent off into the woods by the evil stepmother...lost and alone they think they have found help but........) The hope with which they are looking at the witch and her lack of empathy...

So thankyou for the comment ! I am glad you "saw" what I was "feeling"!

spacenut20

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spacenut20

Yeah, ah no.

This is just.....no.

spacenut20

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spacenut20

Very cool, unique design. Especially the color, not the usual blacks and grays that a design with a skull usually has.

froehrl1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages froehrl1
paigeg wrote:I really love this design. It's simple and very evocative. I think my only quibble is that it's just a tad overly simple. It's flat, has no depth between the night (the shirt) and the girl. Some subtle shading in gray or even a deep purple around the 'opening' might give it some more depth. Hmmm. I'm not an expert. Maybe one of the others would chime in?

thank you. i'm not an artist. this is the first derby i've uploaded for. i'm always happy to receive some constructive criticism.

MaliceKaiser

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MaliceKaiser
Re: Pinkerton

I love this shirt in every way. This might be my favourite of this derby. You really executed every element of it down to the tiniest details perfectly. Great job!!

SnowQueenVT

Re: nychtophobia

froehrl1 wrote:thank you. i'm not an artist. this is the first derby i've uploaded for. i'm always happy to receive some constructive criticism.

Hi froehrl1! This is really a very strong idea you have created for your first derby! I look at it and I feel sad and gray, this emotion is what you intended, and because it makes me feel this way I think you have many hidden depths!

This makes me think that you will bring other great ideas forward.
It is such a sad picture that it might make people depressed , which nobody wants to be, unless they DO want to be! In which case this would suit their mood perfectly! good idea, I am sure lots of people could not express the sadness you have here half as well.

Ezshrkman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Ezshrkman
Re: Madness Unleashed REDUX

I really like it…and I am not a big fan of skulls on my shirts.
Looks like you are getting a lot of attention from the pros on here. I am bookmarking this page to save all the great tips!
I am a total noob 2! I dig the colors and styling. Good Job!
Got my vote. =)

Loco Luminescence

apeman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages apeman
Re: Simple Mad Hat

The simple mad hatter's hat this time without text. Again i kept it simple but i think it looks really neat, I left only the blank card without a strange pattern to help it stand out. Thanks for looking i hope you enjoy it and vote!

Davide85

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Davide85
Re: Blood text

I re sub the image

http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=40865

SnowQueenVT

Oh good for you! Now you won't get the ax! I didn't bother to vote for your other because the submission page was wrong but I am psyched to cast the 1st vote for this one!!

It's very funny and a good joke! I hope it catches back up!

Zarfus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Zarfus
queboy89 wrote:I don't quite see that Banzaii is doing that. I get what he's saying, but Banzaii isn't making a scene; just explaining.

Sounded like he was on a soapbox to me

Ezshrkman

Its on a shirt now! Sweet!
Got My Vote Again!
Loco Luminescence

Ezshrkman

Re: In the odd light of frankenstein's lab v3

I loved the older one... and this one kicks the old ones butt! I love P-butter and chocolate 2! Awesome!
Loco Luminescence

Zarfus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Zarfus
kylemittskus wrote:It is literally UNBELIEVABLE that this is in the fog.

I hate to do this since it's actually been a while since anything "weird" has happened but... come on! Out of nowhere, this comes into the fog when there is a marked absence of people who claim to love this shirt. Obviously, there are a few, but nowhere near the normal number.

How is this any less artistic than this:
http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=40653

Judging from your comment on that shirt, you're still all wet from that experience.

Just because it has less colors, and you can actually TELL what's going on here...you think this doesn't deserve to be in the fog?

It's annoying how people continue to hate on EVERYTHING ramy submits. I like this design. Would I wear it? No. But I think there's been a lot of subpar shirts for sale lately.

It's clear that a lot of people just like ramy's shirts. They come to vote for it, leave, and avoid this little war going on beneath it.

dankstick

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dankstick
Re: The Shiny Red Button!

The History Eraser Button... boiled football leather... wax paper.... those were the days.

BrainsToEat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BrainsToEat
Siax wrote:ya im having problems with my design, it got insta fogged

Not sure myself. I am rather new to Woot.

ressamac

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ressamac
SnowQueenVT wrote:(re he hopes to buy the shirt...)
Oh my! I love it when you talk dirty like that!

LOL. Waggles eyebrows.

MadamAtom

quality posts: 7 Private Messages MadamAtom
Re: manic or depressive?

I looked at the thumbnail and saw a bunny. "What the heck does that have to do with ... ?" Clicked, read the title, read the text on the comp. "Oh, it's a face too. Okay, so it is on topic."

No idea how that would've played out without the carrot, but as is, it was definitely bunny at first sight.

MadamAtom

quality posts: 7 Private Messages MadamAtom
MadamAtom wrote:I looked at the thumbnail and saw a bunny. "What the heck does that have to do with ... ?" Clicked, read the title, read the text on the comp. "Oh, it's a face too. Okay, so it is on topic."

No idea how that would've played out without the carrot, but as is, it was definitely bunny at first sight.

(Why is there sometimes no Edit button? Sheesh.)

I should add, though, that while looking at the bunny I was also thinking "What the heck happened to his back?"

SnowQueenVT

...shhhh everyone , it's a FACE! (nudge -nudge..!)

LunaVance

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LunaVance
matto1985 wrote:I like this one alot. I definitely agree with the above comment that the shirt color is appropriate. Very dusky feeling.

However, I would like the design a little more if there were some sort of fading on the bottom of the hills.

I agree. although, I would still wear it!

Vote for the Crazies!

JesseBYAH

quality posts: 5 Private Messages JesseBYAH
BrainsToEat wrote:Not sure myself. I am rather new to Woot.

Very cool design, I like your style!

apeman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages apeman

Face (long pause) rabbit

mikenytola

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola

I keep coming back to look at this one. I really like it's look and feel. Only thing I don't like is that it looks like it's taking a wizz. Did you try putting the plug and hole closer to the chest? I'd be interested in that shirt a lot more.

riddlescn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages riddlescn
parrotworks wrote:Why in the world the king's horses were given the opportunity to try to help is beyond me.

I like your concept, I just feel like it wasn't depicted as clearly as it could have been. Before I read your comment, I couldn't tell that they were attempting to fix Humpty Dumpty.

I know there's color limitations, so maybe to make it more obvious what they're doing, remove some of the black from H.D. where his x X eyes (or something similar) and mouth would be. That way, the color of the shirt shows through, people understand your message, and the egg looks more like H.D.