AliCat713

quality posts: 1 Private Messages AliCat713
azdarkknight wrote:Is this the madness you get from woot voters perhaps? +1 from me anyway.

do you have a website with your stuff on Drakxxx (yes, Im a fan)?

I get the feeling that Ramyb was trying for a Drakxxx feeling with this, but as others have said, this is just a mess.

Kudos for doing something that's not cutesy bunnies or turtles or featureless lumps of kawaii, but it does look a lot like you've incorporated other pieces of your older shirts (reaper, butterflies, etc) and slapped them on under spackling and called it a day.

I'm sad, because this had potential, and even more upset that with all your possible potential, you still seem to strive for mediocrity with the knowledge that whatever is most mainstream and blah will get the most votes.

monkeyswag

quality posts: 0 Private Messages monkeyswag
Re: inksane in the mouse brain

Awesome. Voted!

SnowQueenVT

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SnowQueenVT
Re: Ghost Ship Dream

RE Does Jewelwing live near a harbor ?(and is that why she does these wonderful ships? )

jewelwing wrote:Kind of!! I just love them. It's hard to see them and not love them. Thank you all!

Jewelwing I am going to buy todays woot for my nephew but I want to buy it tomorrow so you get 2 bucks, but what if it sells out!!

I so love your beautiful ships. Here is a laugh for you...last week when I was working on my MOtley Crue ship I worried to my daughter age 6 that it looked too much like jewelwings ship shirt we bought(I was worried that the colors were too similar...)
With such a serious face she said to me, "No, mommy, your ship is NOTHING like Jewelwings boat!" ( IT was so funny at the time- I pretty much threw in the towel at that point!)

I hope the harbor near your house has some tshirts of yours for sale for the tourists, it's a crime if they don't!!

Sail on and up jewelwing ship -girl!!

http://www.wix.com/scottgreenip/snowqueenvt

SnowQueenVT

Re: Pinkerton

Cmdixon2- I havn't complimented you on your shirt yet, but I want you to know that I think this piece is a frighteningly AMAZING depiction of the American businessman (Any businessman, anywhere...) The intense pressure, the suit, the programmed radio-head, this piece is scary in it's portrayal of the times....I am trying to say that it's great! A piece of artwork that DEFINES an aspect of our generation ...you can see that he is going to walk that tightrope without falling (due to his radio controlled head!)...you have captured the anguish of every poor guy in a suit I hope this country (planet) moves on and up so we can all be HAPPY in our WORK..

Bravisimo.

TheyKilledKenny

quality posts: 2 Private Messages TheyKilledKenny
SnowQueenVT wrote:Thanks Theykilled Kenny!...I have been missing you at the derby for weeks and weeks, I almost put out an APB into thin air last week wondering where you were!

(I love your design too, funny and silly and of course crazy!)

Your texturing is just great... and the detail highlights how much work you must put into these shirts...

I wanted to make something like one of those icons... I would make it sideways, but someone would call it text... Plus I like to take a nerdy bent on the derby...

Excuse Me Maam, Your Woot is Showing...

TheyKilledKenny

Re: Captain Ahab

I love the way you gave Moby an aged look...

SnowQueenVT

Re: It's Logo Madness!!!

TheyKilledKenny wrote:Your texturing is just great... and the detail highlights how much work you must put into these shirts...

I wanted to make something like one of those icons... I would make it sideways, but someone would call it text... Plus I like to take a nerdy bent on the derby...

It is wonderfully nerdy! A nice simple fun easy to wear shirt!,(Oh and Thanks for the moby comment too!)

Jeffarehappy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jeffarehappy
Re: 1 ok 2 ok 3 ok 4 ok

I absolutely love this shirt, and am rather depressed it isn't in the fog!

orphanelliott

quality posts: 0 Private Messages orphanelliott
Re: Ye Damned Whale

I apologize, I had no idea, I suppose should have re-read the terms. I'm in the process of getting my design taken down from here.

Any tips for how to get this accomplished?

Ezshrkman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Ezshrkman
orphanelliott wrote:I apologize, I had no idea, I suppose should have re-read the terms. I'm in the process of getting my design taken down from here.

Any tips for how to get this accomplished?

I think you can only take it down within the first 24 hrs. During that time there is a little red X next to your design. "You must me logged in to see it.” But as for now i have no idea how to get it down. Maybe tattle on yourself and explain that you had put it up somewhere already. I really like it your design!
I guess it’s all just part of the learning curve.
=)

A1ch3misT

quality posts: 0 Private Messages A1ch3misT

hmm very nice imo

TheyKilledKenny

eye4spot wrote:I guess that would mean that 4 voters changed their mind.

Nice work by the way! GMV

I am sure it will be blamed on the 'Cloud Servers'...

TheyKilledKenny

Re: Why People Don't Eat Their Vegetables

It's somewhat disturbing... yet somewhat compelling...

Ezshrkman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Ezshrkman
Re: Loco Luminescence

I think it so funny that you are waiting until the last hour to push my design into the fog. You all crack me up! =)

TheyKilledKenny

Re: 1 ok 2 ok 3 ok 4 ok

I'm warming up to your sense of madness...

eye4spot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eye4spot
Re: The Madness of Cupcake Revenge

I read Paige's comment, and had to look..(for the foot) ..what a fun design!

genericsmith

quality posts: 15 Private Messages genericsmith
Re: Shadow Madness

I love this shirt... If it doesn't get an HM (It should) please submit it somewhere else.

I want to buy a copy for my wife. She'd love it.

Munchy Attack If you can find the name of this artist & real song title I'll buy you a daily woot shirt (your choice what day)

Dystopia Dark Lager, Where the Wild Parties at?, B.A. Bearacus, and many more wanted in XXL(PLEASE!!!)
Edgar Allen Poe shall remained headlock'd until Nevermore is reckoned.

JoshuaHippie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JoshuaHippie
SnowQueenVT wrote:Your grandmother sounds like a wonderful person!
Thanks for the vote ,HIppie-hippie-bo-bippy-banana-fana-fo fippy-fe-fi-fo-fippy...HIPPIE!

By the way, you just called Drakxxx your FIEND!(don't edit too funny!)

maybe this is just me but I think that it's accidentally cool. I might just start calling everybody 'my fiend' it could catch on. ;)

Lordwoodsman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lordwoodsman
Re: Crazy Straw

Genius. Love the design. Want the shirt. But Won't buy it on pansy blue...sorry.

HujoeBigs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HujoeBigs
aiterum wrote:Ugh. I hate how the only design in the entire derby that is actually worth putting on a shirt isn't even close to getting into the running.

HujoeBigs

Oi I hate pressing buttons I dont mean to.

Any how, by saying the only design worth printing, you like saying every generic skull t-shirt should print? I could probably get 10 shirts that look almost excatly like this in different coolers. Im sorry, I think the design is cool and all but I'm tired of all these skull shirts every one is printing, its not a pretty thing and its not a cool thing. There are much better symbols you could use instead of a over used skull for a maddness shirt. I think you could do much better.

mikenytola

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola
tgentry wrote:I pretty much go with what I think works for the design.

Sometimes I think this works, but the goal here is to sell a t-shirt with your design on it, and the color of the shirt is a factor in what people purchase. I'm sure some designs you have done might have been better on say Orange or Yellow, but that is really going to have a hard fight to get to print because of people's taste so you probably would find another color that would work. So in that aspect the design doesn't always need to fit the shirt color. The goal is to win... and yes with a good design.

I see this too often where people are trying to be creative by using the shirt color as part of the art. Does it work sometimes? Ya sure it does. But sometimes it's getting too caught up in the design and not factoring in what people like to wear. If it's a cool design that people like, they will buy it on a shirt color they like, not because the design matches the shirt. I'll use me for example, I really like this design a lot and would love to buy this shirt, but baby blue looks terrible on me so I would just be wasting my money on something that looks terrible on me regardless of how cool the design is. Many men find it to be too feminine of a color to justify wearing it as well.

So with that, I understand your choice and it looks good IMO. It's just the color that is not for me. That is why I'm tired of seeing Baby Blue shirts personally. Many times I find a design I really like is on Baby Blue, which kills me because I really like the design yet don't vote for it since it's not something I would buy.

mikenytola

HujoeBigs wrote:Oi I hate pressing buttons I dont mean to.

Any how, by saying the only design worth printing, you like saying every generic skull t-shirt should print? I could probably get 10 shirts that look almost excatly like this in different coolers. Im sorry, I think the design is cool and all but I'm tired of all these skull shirts every one is printing, its not a pretty thing and its not a cool thing. There are much better symbols you could use instead of a over used skull for a maddness shirt. I think you could do much better.

I don't understand why skulls are so popular on t-shirts. I know they sell well and people like them, I just don't get it's appeal. Personal preference I know, but I still like to understand other opinions.

HujoeBigs

This should defently get a spot in the top three I would be disappointed if it didn't.

mikenytola

JaundiceDave wrote:Oh, Adder, please keep on trying to tell people what is art and what is not. How stupendously ignorant to the very concept of what art is.

I personally don't like this design for many reasons, but... I do like your statement.

blackrevan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blackrevan

I WANT IT NOW!

omninull

quality posts: 0 Private Messages omninull
paigeg wrote:Or, more precisely, because this is such great art, it literally makes a bad t-shirt. I would love to have a print of this, but I wouldn't wear it in my chest.

Funnily enough, I think it would make a good t-shirt.

SnowQueenVT

RE Joshua hippie accidentally calls Drakxxx his "FIEND"

JoshuaHippie wrote:maybe this is just me but I think that it's accidentally cool. I might just start calling everybody 'my fiend' it could catch on. ;)

It already has! Lets start now! Have a great night working on your design my fiend!!

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

mikenytola wrote:Sometimes I think this works, but the goal here is to sell a t-shirt with your design on it, and the color of the shirt is a factor in what people purchase. I'm sure some designs you have done might have been better on say Orange or Yellow, but that is really going to have a hard fight to get to print because of people's taste so you probably would find another color that would work. So in that aspect the design doesn't always need to fit the shirt color. The goal is to win... and yes with a good design.

I see this too often where people are trying to be creative by using the shirt color as part of the art. Does it work sometimes? Ya sure it does. But sometimes it's getting too caught up in the design and not factoring in what people like to wear. If it's a cool design that people like, they will buy it on a shirt color they like, not because the design matches the shirt. I'll use me for example, I really like this design a lot and would love to buy this shirt, but baby blue looks terrible on me so I would just be wasting my money on something that looks terrible on me regardless of how cool the design is. Many men find it to be too feminine of a color to justify wearing it as well.

So with that, I understand your choice and it looks good IMO. It's just the color that is not for me. That is why I'm tired of seeing Baby Blue shirts personally. Many times I find a design I really like is on Baby Blue, which kills me because I really like the design yet don't vote for it since it's not something I would buy.

ONE goal may be to be print a shirt, but it's also to create a shirt I'm happy with. I'm not going to put every single design on black or gray just because those have the best odds of printing and that's what "people like to wear". Fortunately I don't need the money so I don't have to make every decision based off votes or potential sales. I can base it off what interests me and how I feel about a design vs. how a thousand other people feel about it.

I think as a designer I look to use the shirt color in the service of the design whenever possible. Why wouldn't I? Because there are people who don't like that color shirt? Unless I'm slapping a slogan or logo on a shirt, the shirt color matters 100%. Will it turn off insecure people or people with complexions that don't work with this shade or that? Probably. There's no way around that short of putting every shirt on black, which I'm not going to do.

What if I had put this design on red? Then the people that "can't wear red" would be complaining about it. If I put it on green some people would be complaining that it's too "earthy" and would look better on baby blue. If I put it on royal blue people would complain that it's too brightly colored. Every color woot offers has someone that hates it or "doesn't look good in it". And so either I put everything on black or gray (and people would still complain "no more asphalt!") or some people will have to realize not every shirt is going to be on a color they like. The day when every design is on the two most popular, crowd-pleasing colors is the day I'll no longer be coming here because I already have WAY more of those than I need. So I'm going to pick the color that I think best fits the design and run with it. I've been here too long and heard too many "not on this color!" and "not on that color!" to lose much sleep over it.

incarnate9143

quality posts: 0 Private Messages incarnate9143
Re: Constant Companion

in like flynn if this makes it

fwumps

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fwumps
Re: Pinkerton

I want to buy this. Now please.

flynch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flynch
TheyKilledKenny wrote:I love anything in Hexachrome...

i am chagrined to be found out as the print naif that i am. It is my very first foray into derby debauchery and i find it stimulatingly addictive.

Let's hope i can learn as i go.

mikenytola

tgentry wrote:snip

You shouldn't be getting so defensive towards me, I have stated that this design does work well with this color, just that it will suck if it wins (for me) because it won't look good on me and I can't have it. That's all.

I also didn't imply you should just use the most popular colors. Yes one goal is to win and another for you to be happy with the shirt. You obviously don't just throw some generic boring garbage on a popular color and call it a day, some do but you are not one of them. But that also does not mean that your design will only work on one color.

It's not about being insecure, your assumption and slight insult is incorrect and you are generalizing. I am not insecure about myself, I just know what I look good in. Would you wear a shirt that you know looks terrible on you just because you are insecure? No, you just know better, has nothing to do with insecurity. My point is that sometimes it works to use the shirt color and incorporate it into the design and sometimes it does not. Sometimes people try to be too creative by incorporating the design with the shirt color and they didn't do a good job of it. Again I did not accuse you of this.

Some designs are interchangeable between some colors sometimes. I wasn't complaining to you that you shouldhave used another color, I was expressing how I like the design and just wish it had been on another color. There's no need for you to get all upset about my opinion and personal taste, because the idea that I wish it were on another color is a statement to you that I do like your design.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

mikenytola wrote:You shouldn't be getting so defensive towards me, I have stated that this design does work well with this color, just that it will suck if it wins (for me) because it won't look good on me and I can't have it. That's all.

I also didn't imply you should just use the most popular colors. Yes one goal is to win and another for you to be happy with the shirt. You obviously don't just throw some generic boring garbage on a popular color and call it a day, some do but you are not one of them. But that also does not mean that your design will only work on one color.

It's not about being insecure, your assumption and slight insult is incorrect and you are generalizing. I am not insecure about myself, I just know what I look good in. Would you wear a shirt that you know looks terrible on you just because you are insecure? No, you just know better, has nothing to do with insecurity. My point is that sometimes it works to use the shirt color and incorporate it into the design and sometimes it does not. Sometimes people try to be too creative by incorporating the design with the shirt color and they didn't do a good job of it. Again I did not accuse you of this.

Some designs are interchangeable between some colors sometimes. I wasn't complaining to you that you shouldhave used another color, I was expressing how I like the design and just wish it had been on another color. There's no need for you to get all upset about my opinion and personal taste, because the idea that I wish it were on another color is a statement to you that I do like your design.

I'm not being defensive, I'm just talking about shirt designs and colors. It's just a discussion as far as I can tell. My reference to insecurity was related to the people that think that certain shirts are "girly" or "pansy" colors (as someone posted above), which has nothing to do with your dislike of baby blue. I appreciate that you like the design, and I can assure you I'm not upset. Maybe it's that tone can't be properly assessed over the Internet. I understand what you're saying about other colors being out there, I was simply saying that ANY color is going to be disliked by someone, and to someone baby blue is another color. Everyone would like a design to be on their favorite color, but it's just not going to happen.

The only shirt I don't like to put something on is white, but it's not because of the color (I like white shirts), it's because woot's white shirts are see-through. Other than that I think any shirt color is fair game.

mikenytola

tgentry wrote:snip

I see. Yes reading over the internet doesn't portray a tone very well sometimes. Sorry about reading that incorrectly in my head.

Now get to work coming up with a great design that works with navy or cranberry best so I can buy it!

jmmbell1987

quality posts: 78 Private Messages jmmbell1987
HujoeBigs wrote:Oi I hate pressing buttons I dont mean to.

Any how, by saying the only design worth printing, you like saying every generic skull t-shirt should print? I could probably get 10 shirts that look almost excatly like this in different coolers.

Very well said.

osteoace

quality posts: 0 Private Messages osteoace
Spiritgreen wrote:Oh fudge, this doesn't seem fair.

I made this especially for the derby thinking hard about a moment of madness. And I clearly wrote and showed the halftone dots, both here and in the submission message to Woot. All that effort... ;_;

Thanks to everyone who voted and sent me nice comments.

I was extremely disappointed to check today's winners and find that this shirt had been rejected... I thought it was surely a first place shirt (not to mention totally on-topic). Even if it were a third place shirt, I'd have bought it. Hopefully you'll find a place to re-submit the design so no one loses... you get your winner, we get to buy it, and woot gets to sell it.

azdarkknight

quality posts: 5 Private Messages azdarkknight
Drakxxx wrote:Thanks, I appreciate it!

You can check out my art blog and my deviant art page. Both are about to get updated actually.

http://drakxxx.deviantart.com/

http://drakxxxart.blogspot.com/

Thanks for that My fingers are croseed for this weekend after being sorely disappointed that Alice in Chains didnt make it Do you think that might see light of day elsewhere at some stage if not on woot (sorry, not being able to draw to save my life - Im not sure on how long woot have the design for).

:D

vladistov

quality posts: 51 Private Messages vladistov
Re: Railroad Villain MADNESSSSS

I'm just wondering: Why is he wearing what appears to be a plain, cotton, long-sleeve shirt? Why is he scratching the chalkboard? Why is he not looking at the chalkboard? Why is his elaborate plain comprised of entirely a single phase? And finally, why does anyone like the graphic when it's obvious the only thing that draws them to it is the head--why is this not just 'Some-Twisted-Looking-Guy-With-A-Mustache-and-A-Top-Hat's-face?' Oh, right, thanks for reminding me; what's with the lady-fingers?

I mean, I really do believe I'm calling the Emperor naked, here...am I just imagining things?

vladistov

quality posts: 51 Private Messages vladistov

Okay, I'm a sarcastic jerk--that wasn't really constructive criticism (unless you're open-minded enough to draw conclusions without jumping straight to emotion). So, here's the deal (unless I'm an spoon): You've got a winner here, but it's all wrong (for a shirt). The man's face is the key, it's what everyone likes, whether they admit it or not. 1) Do a head with a floating hand. 2) Adopt a more sinister style; use more angles and shading, make it sharper--this is too 'happy.' 3) He's too youthful to be evil...suck in the cheeks and show cheek-bone; make the fingers more boney. 4) Fade the neck out but with a stylish collar...something to fit the century his hat belongs in. 5) buttermilk fried chicken the head slightly so that a nice evil view of his crooked nose can be seen. 6) Monocle, monocle, MONOCLE!

I probably don't know what I'm talking about...if I do, listen; if I don't, take what I say at its opposite. Enlightenment is about perspective.