MajorCrash

quality posts: 2 Private Messages MajorCrash
Re: Split Spirit of Steam v.2

I knew this looked familiar.

http://shirt.woot.com/derby/entry.aspx?id=33901

xazothia

quality posts: 54 Private Messages xazothia
MajorCrash wrote:Man, I thought I was going crazy thinking I had seen this before. Turns out, it's only been slightly changed from the previous submission.

http://shirt.woot.com/derby/entry.aspx?id=33901

only slightly? he changed the entire bottom half. (well, not the "Entire" half, but you understand me, right?) Other artists have certainly gotten away with significantly fewer changes.

eye4spot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eye4spot
Hammylink wrote:looks like a little starfish sex too.

Star spooning perhaps... ;-)

avhienda01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages avhienda01

This isn't my usual style of drawing, but I'm always willing to try new things. Please excuse my poorly drawn weapons and such >_<

My favorite show Supernatural also played a big part as far as inspiration goes. Anyway, I hope you enjoy it! And thanks in advance for looking/commenting/voting!

cxl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cxl

I would actually really just like a version with only the snail, in the center. I think the girl takes away from the simple elegance of the image. Really, the idea of "snail mail" is really cute, and I love the execution of the snail.

il4jc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages il4jc

christianity teaches how to spread peace& love as well..its just some ppl dont truly follow the Bible

aka this shirt is false =p

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

avhienda01 wrote:This isn't my usual style of drawing, but I'm always willing to try new things. Please excuse my poorly drawn weapons and such >_<

My favorite show Supernatural also played a big part as far as inspiration goes. Anyway, I hope you enjoy it! And thanks in advance for looking/commenting/voting!

Supernatural is my favorite show too! Tied with Star Trek:TNG. I'm still waiting for a supernatural themed Star Trek offshoot.

Great job, GMV.

myeroshalmi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages myeroshalmi
il4jc wrote:christianity teaches how to spread peace& love as well..its just some ppl dont truly follow the Bible

aka this shirt is false =p

the priest is preaching religion... i didn't want to specify one, and the reason christianity is on there is because Christianity also preaches against happy people plus many others

endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega
Re: SAMURAI SHOWDOWN

I normally love you guys' work to bits, and have nothing but respect for you both as artists, but I'm sorry to say I'm just not feeling this one. The brown/cream combo *could* work, theoretically, but the splattery (is that actually a word?) background here just looks a bit too messy.

From a distance, my concern is that the shirt will just look more like someone's had an unfortunate accident down their front, and the actual design (which isn't badly drawn at all) will become a bit lost.

I really, *really* hate to use the phrase "squidgy scat on a shirt" (despite its alliterative 'S' sounds!), but I can't help thinking back to the scathing critiques for this other brown print: http://shirt.woot.com/Friends.aspx?k=7279

theamazingv

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theamazingv

Absolutely awesome, and I love the color! GMV

SubBass49

quality posts: 3 Private Messages SubBass49
Re: Superfluous Sentient Snail Scarecrow

Snail Scarecrow was done by hand with a V7 ink pen, scanned, and colored in Photoshop 5 (old-school for the win). Rising Sun was a n after-thought to help balance the design.

My second-ever entry, so once again, feedback is welcome (and encouraged).

Peace.

il4jc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages il4jc

CUUUUUTE!!

SubBass49

Re: Supernatural Showdown

This is pretty darn cool I have to say. The image detail had me thinking it was just another "wolf" shirt, but I have to say I'm glad I clicked on it! Keep up the good work!

SubBass49

Re: this gets lemon juice in the eye

Not my style, but I like the concept. If there were maybe a way to render it that would give it some character or personality?

SubBass49

Re: Skateboarding Strigiformes

Your texture work is friggin AWESOME. The woodgrain, the feathers...all dope. Probably nothin' I could pull off wearing, but awesome nonetheless.

SubBass49

mdavies wrote:Gradients - it's going to get rejected.

Came here to say this...but it is an improvement visually.

SubBass49

Re: Soaring Scooter

If I were a scooter-geek I'd be eating this one up! Really cool graphic work. But alas, I don't ride scooters...

markrummler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages markrummler
Re: Silent Seahorse

What is with the recent influx of a&f+wal-mart shirts? This is like bro clubwear that ended up @ an outlet mall. boo.

SubBass49

Re: Soapin' Skunk

Haha...cool...I had wanted to do something skunk-related, but none of my sketches looked very good. I may still try to do one by the end of the derby though. Good luck on a cool concept!

SubBass49

Re: Southwestern Salad Shooters

Hahaha...awesome...I remember the Salad Shooter...

SubBass49

Re: Splattered Smile

Reminds me of "THEY LIVE."

SnowQueenVT

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SnowQueenVT
Re: She Sells Sea Shells

Here are some close-ups!

http://www.wix.com/scottgreenip/snowqueenvt

SubBass49

Re: Slug Bug

Watch out for the VW copyright police...they like to cease & desist order anyone who uses even the shape of their vehicles. I found out after doing a design for a buddies family reunion that used a VW bus (even though I shopped out the logo). Just a heads-up.

SeanCHICKEN

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SeanCHICKEN
MaliceKaiser wrote: But these arguments in his defense are just a load of gristle.

As are the critiques. The majority of people seem to like his designs, as shown by the number of votes he gets.

hahentamashii

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hahentamashii
Re: Soulmates

I personally like the cute little face. It takes away from the seriousness of the subject, also the eye is so cute already, you can't have a cute eye and a silly little ring with legs.

About the copy right issue. It shouldn't be a huge issue, people draw parody of all sorts of things all the time in their webcomics.

Anyone who gets angry over this is only the biggest douch ever.

SubBass49

Really nicely done illustration work, but the colors turn me off...something about that bright pink and blue combined with the line work that makes me get an old-school 3-D movie headache. Props on your design though...I think it's top-notch.

jeanerz13

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jeanerz13

This is a really cool design. I like the mermaids in this one better than in the Motley Crue shirt you did. But...something looks awkward about the one mermaid's hand (the one on the right). Maybe it's just me. Either way, you're a better artist than I could ever dream of becoming. Keep up the good work

cakeninjak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cakeninjak

I love it when you two partner up. You get a a gold medal from my heart.

Adam7986

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Adam7986
MaliceKaiser wrote:Again, you've got to be kidding me. As someone already said, Ramy's designs are the DEFINITION of formulaic.

No one is saying that cute anime-inspired designs are inherently bad. What makes them bad is poor execution, and Ramy's designs are consistently executed poorly. It's the same deal with literally any other art style.

I don't care if you like or dislike his designs. I don't care if you feel like defending them despite this. I don't care if you think everyone is overreacting with their critiques of his submissions. But these arguments in his defense are just a load of gristle.

What's the formula? I fail to see a pattern in his designs except that people don't like them. Cute anime inspired doesn't do it. Drakxxx one of my favorite designers on the this site has the same style he uses every time and no one gets on him because his designs look awesome.

Part of my argument was about what you are referring to as poor execution. Just because someone doesn't draw some thing to your standard does not mean it has no merritt, which is what you imply.

pileup

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pileup
mrwednesday wrote:This looks really great on the shirt and I love the colors. Not enough kelly shirts in my opinion.

Agreed. While I do like many of the designs on here, I'm reluctant to vote for them because I have too many dark shirt, dammit!

jeanerz13

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jeanerz13

I think when people draw snails, they usually leave off the lower feeler things...so I'm not used to seeing them. I looked up a picture of a real snail, and sure enough, there they were. Anyway, since I wasn't used to seeing those in cartoony snail pictures, the first thing I thought when I saw this was "hey look, he gave the snail a fu man chu!" That alone is worth a vote :P

edkat873

quality posts: 0 Private Messages edkat873
Re: Shirts (redux)

Y'know, I'm certain the copyright for the shirt drawing belongs to someone who isn't you.

SnowQueenVT

Hi Subbass, I like snail scarecrows ! Especially at 2:45 at night! Looks like we are roomates for the week (next to each other!)....

Have a good night!-snowqueenvt

InkWiz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages InkWiz
Re: ScareCrow

I wish I was able to get this in sooner, I guess better late then never tho. I hope you all like it.

http://i42.tinypic.com/24oamhl.jpg

http://threadless.com/submission/323515/Blue_Books_Of_Sorrow

Adam7986

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Adam7986
bluetuba wrote:This is hilarious because Ramy's art is precisely formulaic, almost all the shirts he submits are extraordinarily similar. Wanna know where the amazing creativity and technique all you guys adore comes from? "How to draw Anime" books. Where do you people come from?

Obviously this post went over your head. I am not implying that Ramy is the only true artist here... There are plenty of people I like more than Ramy. Drakxxx being a fave so score one for todays shirt. I am saying that if people here had an understanding of art and design beyond what they saw in an Apple ad they would know that things do not have to be perfect.

Eveyone comments about the mouth or the eyes, but no one says anything about the briefcase that isn't a perfect rectangle? It seems weird that no one chooses to pick on this, instead they just attack what they don't like. Thats not critique and it's not about anything other than your dislike of a stlye.

SnowQueenVT

jeanerz13 wrote:This is a really cool design. I like the mermaids in this one better than in the Motley Crue shirt you did. But...something looks awkward about the one mermaid's hand (the one on the right). Maybe it's just me. Either way, you're a better artist than I could ever dream of becoming. Keep up the good work

Hi Jeaner,
I am glad I am not the only one up here right now! Yes, I needed to do more mermaids...these got more love than the "motley maids",ha ha...

Thanks for such a nice comment, but you are silly I bet you are a fantastic artist!

I gotta go to bed...talk to you later!
Love-snowqueenvt

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
Re: S CAR GO!

It looks like you used a photo for the wheels. If so, woot may reject it. But it is really hard to tell.

Can you post a picture of the details of this car, so we know what we are actually seeing?

fanboy4ever

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fanboy4ever
myeroshalmi wrote:the priest is preaching religion... i didn't want to specify one, and the reason christianity is on there is because Christianity also preaches against happy people plus many others

The ignorance here is overwhelming...

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
amarillo wrote:You did well, thank you
I don´t think neither they print it here, though as everybody knows I own the rights and RIPT isn´t a huge competitor such as Teefury. But I do this for fun and maybe it makes a "runner up" (=free shirt for my son, I totally love shirt.woot for their kids tees) and just because it so starts with an "S", haha, thanks for voting, keep it up

I never meant to imply that there was something below board going on. The artists own the rights on every shirt printed at Teefury so they too are perfectly free to shop it around elsewhere, but woot pulled it anyway because it had printed regardless of who owned the rights.

That said they don't seem to care so good luck. I like the design and it's always good to see more quality designers here at woot.

MusicMan1331

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MusicMan1331

Great Job!, I love your work