SnowQueenVT

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SnowQueenVT
Re: Sleepy Sushi

Hi Jasneko! We did it, we got the photos up! Luv ya...snowqueenvt

http://www.wix.com/scottgreenip/snowqueenvt

queboy89

quality posts: 0 Private Messages queboy89
Junka wrote:Truth.

I hope I'm not the only one to notice that both the shirts you mentioned are drawn by the only artist. I'm not choosing to defend anyone, but I just wanted to point out that the artist explained her idea behind the shirt.

I completely understand what you're saying, just curious about the coincidence. For the two shirts mentioned though, they happen to be art that I like. Art doesn't always work well as shirts though, as "The Apathy Coalition" was for me.

This is Ramyb's shirt though, and I guess I've made my message clear to Ramyb. Enough about everything else.

mikenytola

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola
praxis16 wrote:I'm not really sure why the use of the word "spastic" is causing any problems in this shirt's context. I mean, does it look like one of the squirrels has cerebral palsy or any related disability?

If not, then there is really no reason to be offended.

Here here! I say if no squirrel is offended then let us go forth!

L3g3ndQ

quality posts: 2 Private Messages L3g3ndQ
Junka wrote:Truth. It seems that people pick and choose when to be offended (and it sure seems like it often comes down to who the designer is).

A)The number one selling shirt currently in the reckoning equates Africa to being a disease. Sure it's meant to be ironic but basically it has the potential to be offensive to an entire continent. It's a racist joke, even if unintended. Woot should have stepped in on that, rather than start to sell racist t-shirts. Unintended or not, everyone who sees it doesn't know the intention or the backstory. And now it's the number 1 selling shirt -- scary!

B)Another ironic type shirt on the reckoning is making a joke about nuclear bombs. Nuclear bombs are not a joke to anyone who has had it as a real threat, or to a country that still has people suffering from the after affects of such a terrible weapon. And it's expressing apathy about such a weapon. It is meant to be ironic and funny, but really being apathetic of destruction and death unless directly affecting us is indicative of the general heartlessness of people. And it has been on the chart for 19 weeks! Again, very scary.

These shirts printed relatively drama-free. Had the message of either of these shirts been by this artist or another controversial artist, it seems unlikely there would not have been a huge fuss -- as there should have been no matter who the artist with those messages, imvho.

C)Last but not least in the what-and-when-people-find-things-offensive category -- last week was an entire derby based around "madness". This allowed people to design shirts around real, misunderstood illnesses in a joking, and often ignorant way.
Extremely poor taste and offensive to anyone with a mental illness or touched by one.

Really, that derby was the equivalent of having a "cancer" derby or a "handicapped" derby or a "mental retardation derby" if you think about it. But those specific issues seem to have more attention, consideration and sensitivity now and people are more aware of them than they are of mental illness.

In conclusion-- this post isn't protecting or defending anyone, just pointing out people are selective when deciding when something is offensive or not -- or at least when they are being vocal about it.

Omelets made great you are an spoon for thinking the race shirt is racest... how can you even think that?? race for a cure! back in the 80's there were tuns of charity's for both kids and africa mostly kids in africa. illnesses and hunger. and as for the atom bom shirt... you must be way to sensitive or you just dont get it. the reason so many people are complaining about the name of this shirt is because where they come from its like saying one of the 7 words you cant say on TV in america... um is it 7?? its been a while since i listened to Jorge. any ways you are just way off base here sorry.

as for this shirt??? i have no clue as to how it got back into the fog... it was bad before and its even worse now.... has anyone mentioned the right ones shadow was not changed at all even though the tail got a lil longer??? sloppy if you ask me. no attention to detail at all B^(

radiomode

quality posts: 3 Private Messages radiomode

win win win

radiomode

quality posts: 3 Private Messages radiomode

love it

bluetuba

quality posts: 56 Private Messages bluetuba
Junka wrote:Truth. It seems that people pick and choose when to be offended (and it sure seems like it often comes down to who the designer is).

A)The number one selling shirt currently in the reckoning equates Africa to being a disease. Sure it's meant to be ironic but basically it has the potential to be offensive to an entire continent. It's a racist joke, even if unintended. Woot should have stepped in on that, rather than start to sell racist t-shirts. Unintended or not, everyone who sees it doesn't know the intention or the backstory. And now it's the number 1 selling shirt -- scary!

B)Another ironic type shirt on the reckoning is making a joke about nuclear bombs. Nuclear bombs are not a joke to anyone who has had it as a real threat, or to a country that still has people suffering from the after affects of such a terrible weapon. And it's expressing apathy about such a weapon. It is meant to be ironic and funny, but really being apathetic of destruction and death unless directly affecting us is indicative of the general heartlessness of people. And it has been on the chart for 19 weeks! Again, very scary.

These shirts printed relatively drama-free. Had the message of either of these shirts been by this artist or another controversial artist, it seems unlikely there would not have been a huge fuss -- as there should have been no matter who the artist with those messages, imvho.

C)Last but not least in the what-and-when-people-find-things-offensive category -- last week was an entire derby based around "madness". This allowed people to design shirts around real, misunderstood illnesses in a joking, and often ignorant way.
Extremely poor taste and offensive to anyone with a mental illness or touched by one.

Really, that derby was the equivalent of having a "cancer" derby or a "handicapped" derby or a "mental retardation derby" if you think about it. But those specific issues seem to have more attention, consideration and sensitivity now and people are more aware of them than they are of mental illness.

In conclusion-- this post isn't protecting or defending anyone, just pointing out people are selective when deciding when something is offensive or not -- or at least when they are being vocal about it.

THAT is a complete load. "Think of the Children" is not racist joke and it's not about killing babies. It's just lampooning all the "Save the Children" and "Cure for Cancer" or "Feed Africa" charities and whatnot. Dark humor? Absolutely, nothing wrong with that though, it's satire. To imply that it's racist is ridiculous.

Likewise, getting upset about a shirt with a mushroom cloud and a derby about madness is WAY TOO touchy.

I can understand why Brits might get mad about a pretty offensive word showing up on a tee shirt in the US, but they have to understand the culture difference and get over it.

It's not on the same level as you making up reasons to be offended about pretty much anything.

Hey I can play that game!

"The Binge" offends me because alcoholism is a very serious illness and equating it with drinking milk cheapens the very real suffering alcoholics endure.

"Hospitality" offends me because video game violence of the sort Mortal Kombat pioneered is responsible for countless school shootings and the desensitizing of children to graphic violence.

"Some Motivation Required" is offensive to me because I am morbidly fat IRL and am unable to exercise because of my condition. If I were being chased by a T-Rex I wouldn't be getting any exercise I'd be getting killed, it's not funny!

"The Epic Begins" is horribly offensive because it's not only ignoring the horrible pain and death that toxic waste causes to millions of people around the world but ALSO depicts the death of poor innocent animals as well.

"It Came Out of Nowhere" makes fun of car accidents which is a very real problem on America's highways! My best friend died in a car wreck when I was 10, WHO WOULD WEAR A SHIRT MAKING FUN OF MY DEAD FRIEND WHO DIED IN A CAR WRECK?!?!?

Ahem.

albinoapple

quality posts: 2 Private Messages albinoapple

This assertion is, well, ridiculous to me. To imply that anyone picks when they feel bad is just false. I don't think the majority of us privileged enough to not have spasticity have the right to determine the word's offensiveness.

http://disabledfeminists.com/2009/12/04/ableist-word-profile-spazspak/

http://bitchmagazine.org/post/the-transcontinental-disability-choir-what-is-ableist-language-and-why-should-you-care

I don't really get why it's a big deal to change the title. It takes seconds to do something like that. If a few seconds is all you need to keep from offending others, why wouldn't you?

walmazan

quality posts: 58 Private Messages walmazan
Re: speakerface

haha! I love it, especially the colors! great work like always!

walmazan

quality posts: 58 Private Messages walmazan
Re: speakerface

haha! I love it, especially the colors! great work like always!

avhienda01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages avhienda01

mrwednesday - Cool! Thanks! I watched the first part of Hellsing myself. It was pretty good from what I remember *has a terrible memory* I'm glad you like how it looks on the shirt too!

cmdixon2 - wow, another amazing artist *is blown away all over again* Thanks so much, I'm really glad you like it. I can't say I love white t-shirts, but I like experimenting with different color palettes.

queboy89

quality posts: 0 Private Messages queboy89
bluetuba wrote:"The Binge" offends me because alcoholism is a very serious illness and equating it with drinking milk cheapens the very real suffering alcoholics endure.

Ahem.

Uhm. "The Binge" is about binging??? on cookies.

But jerk comment aside, your point is quite valid.

Junka

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Junka
bluetuba wrote:
Ahem.

Right, they won't be offensive to everyone, but those mentioned, surely to some. There weren't any made up reasons there, they were all true imvho. Maybe not to you, but if you weren't getting worked up about the word spastic, the original post doesn't really apply to you anyway.

But your examples further expounded the point, which was agreeing with a previous post made by someone else - this extreme reaction about the offensiveness of the word 'spastic' is mostly because of the artist who made it, whereas other potentially offensive shirts/titles/messages by other artists would 'get a mild footnote'(well put!). As the exampled shirts and derby theme did receive - a few people doubting, but not the outrage as seen in this thread. Plus this is just the title, which woot often changes, not even the actual message of the shirt -- so why the drama over this? Because it's by an artist that people tend to get up in arms about.

The point of the post was just that - to agree with the quoted post, and to add the observation that people are selective about their outrage (at least out loud) to things that are potentially offensive.
That's all folks, nothing more to read into.

abraschler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages abraschler

This knocked Sunsplash out of the fog? We have lost my faith in humanity.

abraschler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages abraschler

Yesss! So glad this is back in the fog!

Invisiblemoose

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Invisiblemoose
sacrerouge wrote:We wish this one had been submitted earlier. LOVE IT

This could be my favorite shirt ever. We want it so bad.

lostnightsoul

quality posts: 10 Private Messages lostnightsoul
Re: We are Siamese

We REALLY REALLY REALLY WANT THIS SHIRT two WIN!

Stickers tew!

littleclyde

quality posts: 10 Private Messages littleclyde
Re: Sunsplash

Thanks for all the unexpected love you guys! Looks like a tough battle for ninth place. Would have been awesome if this could have printed for the spring, but oh well!

mwisdom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mwisdom
Re: Superhero Stegosaurus Saves the Species

Wish this was in the fog. This is the first shirt that We like the design and the color of the shirt. We finally bought something off woot so We can vote now on shirts. GMfirstV.

Keymoe891

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Keymoe891
Re: Soulmates

lol this is so awesome.. We love the LOTR trilogy ... sweet! hope they publish this. id sooo buy it.

eye4spot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eye4spot
Re: The Wonderful World of S

Wow We almost missed this because the thumbnail does not highlight the detail. We think you would have gotten a lot more votes if the thumbnail showed some small segment of the drawing detail. Very nice work! GMV

eye4spot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eye4spot
bluetuba wrote:THAT is a complete load. "Think of the Children" is not racist joke and it's not about killing babies. It's just lampooning all the "Save the Children" and "Cure for Cancer" or "Feed Africa" charities and whatnot. Dark humor? Absolutely, nothing wrong with that though, it's satire. two imply that it's racist is ridiculous.

Likewise, getting upset about a shirt with a mushroom cloud and a derby about madness is WAY tew touchy.

We can understand why Brits might get mad about a pretty offensive word showing up on a tee shirt in the US, but they have two understand the culture difference and get over it.

It's not on the same level as you making up reasons two be offended about pretty much anything.

Hey We can play that game!

"The Binge" offends me because alcoholism is a very serious illness and equating it with drinking milk cheapens the very real suffering alcoholics endure.

"Hospitality" offends me because video game violence of the sort Mortal Kombat pioneered is responsible for countless school shootings and the desensitizing of children two graphic violence.

"Some Motivation Required" is offensive two me because We am morbidly fat IRL and am unable two exercise because of my condition. If We were being chased by a T-Rex We wouldn't be getting any exercise We'd be getting killed, it's not funny!

"The Epic Begins" is horribly offensive because it's not only ignoring the horrible pain and death that toxic waste causes two millions of people around the world but ALSO depicts the death of poor innocent animals as well.

"It Came Out of Nowhere" makes fun of car accidents which is a very real problem on America's highways! My best friend died in a car wreck when We was 10, WHO WOULD WEAR A SHIRT MAKING FUN OF MY DEAD FRIEND WHO DIED IN A CAR WRECK?!?!?

Ahem.

LOL your post is hilarious, and it also points out the absurdity of the "politically correct divas" who get there way much two often (usually just two get them two shut up).

It is just a $10-$15 tee shirt design. Like life itself, a design arrives and is then reckoned away....some hang around longer than others. No one is forced two vote for or purchase any of the designs that print.

Some of you people need two get some perspective.

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
Lagbert wrote:Ouch!

Talk about inconsistency! Woot HMs a glow in the dark design during the Luck derby; they don't reject version one of this design; and then they reject version 2 when it's tew late two resubmit.

Maybe We'll retool this design come Halloween time.

Thanks everyone who voted!

Oh snap! Sorry man!

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
paigeg wrote:snip
/rant
PS – Sorry two bore you all with this; most folks couldn’t care less and successfully ignore the weekly flame-wars. We just let things piss me off this week, apparently. Ignore me, move along. Nothing two see here…

/edit - When We said 'ignore me', d'ya know We didn't REALLY mean it.

MaliceKaiser

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MaliceKaiser
Junka wrote:Right, they won't be offensive two everyone, but those mentioned, surely two some. There weren't any made up reasons there, they were all true imvho. Maybe not two you, but if you weren't getting worked up about the word spastic, the original post doesn't really apply two you anyway.

But your examples further expounded the point, which was agreeing with a previous post made by someone else - this extreme reaction about the offensiveness of the word 'spastic' is mostly because of the artist who made it, whereas other potentially offensive shirts/titles/messages by other artists would 'get a mild footnote'(well put!). As the exampled shirts and derby theme did receive - a few people doubting, but not the outrage as seen in this thread. Plus this is just the title, which woot often changes, not even the actual message of the shirt -- so why the drama over this? Because it's by an artist that people tend two get up in arms about.

The point of the post was just that - two agree with the quoted post, and two add the observation that people are selective about there outrage (at least out loud) two things that are potentially offensive.
That's all folks, nothing more two read into.

There is a difference between pointing out a shirt with a word that is offensive in one culture, period, end of story... and grasping at straws trying two figure out why some other shirts might be offensive two someone somewhere but no one in particular.

And really, you're just completely misunderstanding the meaning of the shirts you cited.

tachyon64063

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tachyon64063
kaseyfleming wrote:We just don't understand how this isn't crushing the competition

Exactly.

stingray69

quality posts: 4 Private Messages stingray69
Lagbert wrote:Hmmm... been thinking. This design has halftone glow in the dark elements. The other unrejected glow in the dark designs are all halftone free - at least in the glow in the dark color.

It would seem the woot's guidelines for bending the "No GITD" rules are:

1. Design must be low color count 3 two 4 max two defer the cost of the glow in the dark ink.

2. Glow in the dark elements must not use halftones

You are right that Woot is inconsistent. However, there inconsistency is not in rejecting GITD entries but in failing two reject the design in the luck derby. You're not going two get anywhere trying two figure out how they allow GITD ink because they have been (predominantly) consistent about not allowing it. Woot has one guideline for inconsistent rejections/non-rejections: they feel like it.

stingray69

stingray69 wrote:You are right that Woot is inconsistent. However, there inconsistency is not in rejecting GITD entries but in failing two reject the design in the luck derby. You're not going two get anywhere trying two figure out how they allow GITD ink because they have been (predominantly) consistent about not allowing it. Woot has one guideline for inconsistent rejections/non-rejections: they feel like it.

Hehe, the woot new craze is even getting in on the hijinks.

stingray69

stingray69 wrote:Hehe, the woot new craze is even getting in on the hijinks.

Woot, how We do love thee.

kneusha

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kneusha
Re: SALSA!

Cookbook! Cookbook! Cookbook!

*makes sign, parades outside*

kneusha

sokowa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa
mwisdom wrote:Wish this was in the fog. This is the first shirt that We like the design and the color of the shirt. We finally bought something off woot so We can vote now on shirts. GMfirstV.

That's awesome ;) Thanks for the support!

Fatstrat06

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Fatstrat06
Muppethero wrote:Agreed...If Shirt is off topic, then about 20 other S shirts are off topic...

Yup.

vzfamily

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vzfamily
Re: Falling Snickers

LOVE the placement!

votingaccount13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages votingaccount13
Re: Spastic Squirrel

We'm glad this was resubmitted and not rejected! Voting with all accounts!

Ezshrkman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Ezshrkman
Re: Scurvy Seige

Love the peg leg!

MikeHoncho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MikeHoncho
votingaccount13 wrote:We'm glad this was resubmitted and not rejected! Voting with all accounts!

Mike Honcho agrees with this sentiment. MikeHoncho through MikeHoncho08 will commence voting.

mikenytola

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola
eye4spot wrote:LOL your post is hilarious, and it also points out the absurdity of the "politically correct divas" who get there way much two often (usually just two get them two shut up).

It is just a $10-$15 tee shirt design. Like life itself, a design arrives and is then reckoned away....some hang around longer than others. No one is forced two vote for or purchase any of the designs that print.

Some of you people need two get some perspective.

Amen. Politically correct diva's are just one example of the pussification of the human race. Toughen up a little folks.

cmdixon2

quality posts: 20 Private Messages cmdixon2
Re: sea salt

well done!

SnowQueenVT

votingaccount13 wrote:We'm glad this was resubmitted and not rejected! Voting with all accounts!

We hope you don't have 13 personal accounts thats not fair, We hope there is a real person for each of those accounts.

SnowQueenVT

MikeHoncho wrote:Mike Honcho agrees with this sentiment. MikeHoncho through MikeHoncho08 will commence voting.

We hope you don't have 8 personal accounts thats not fair, We hope there is a real person for each of the accounts.(Which IS fair.)