potsic


quality posts: 1 Private Messages potsic
MasterHicarbdicke wrote:This is one of those times when I suddenly realize that I'm just too old to "get" something. No disrespect to the artist at all, but I just don't see how this could get 1st place. There must just be a lot of young kids out there that love LOTR the way that I loved the original Star Wars films. I would totally buy a Star Wars shirt that made no sense and wasn't particularly clever, just because it was Star Wars. I feel like that's what's happening here. Correct me if I'm wrong though.



You're partially right. I'm sure there is a good contingent of young people who fell in love with the LOTR movies at an impressionable age. And that's contributed to this win. But, unlike Star Wars, the series also has a large following of fans of all ages who read and loved the books. That subculture has been around for decades, and could easily have swung this vote as well. So, rest assured that you're not too old to get it. You're just uninitiated.

kcmark


quality posts: 25 Private Messages kcmark
khearn wrote:I love it. The one thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is that the writing is supposed to be on the inside of the ring, not the outside. It just looks wrong. But the concept is great!



Incorrect. When heated by flame the writing appears on BOTH the inside and the outside.

DoublEE


quality posts: 8 Private Messages DoublEE
kcmark wrote:Incorrect. When heated by flame the writing appears on BOTH the inside and the outside.



Wow, it just amazes me how long this meaningless debate is lasting. I feel like I'm watching a "Big Bang Theory" episode. Carry on Sheldon.

cincijam


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cincijam
mgodlewski wrote:i haven't seen a good shirt in almost 16 months!!!



Yet you're still here commenting. Checking every day, almost 500 shirts now, still nothing good. Well, maybe tomorrow. That's either hearteningly optimistic or sad.

amandat888


quality posts: 1 Private Messages amandat888

Why was it hard to get to Sauron's lair?

Because no matter how many you opened there was always Mor dor.

:P

eebie90


quality posts: 0 Private Messages eebie90
a5m0deu5 wrote:yes you are wrong, the LOTR books were published in the 50s predating Star Wars by about 2 decades, my father is almost 60 and he read them as a child, so if anything, I'd say that you're too young rather than old.



The books may have been published in the 50's, but their popularity today has mostly to do with the recent film adaptation. So LOTR is like the Original Star Wars to some people

Steve1212


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Steve1212

This shirt is great....big LOTR fan and had no hesitation about buying this one!

JCollin9


quality posts: 0 Private Messages JCollin9
dpbowl842 wrote:It's not too cutesy for this 26 yr old man!! :D



I was like, "geez, 26 is pretty old" but then I remembered that I'm also 26 and it made me sad.

At least I have an awesome new shirt!

slhampel


quality posts: 0 Private Messages slhampel
danberms wrote:
Had a movie poster of the eye at work and had to take it down since it offended some of the women coworkers. They though it was representing something that's not safe for work...




Wow. Just... wow.

captivity


quality posts: 6 Private Messages captivity

I have infinite joy in sending my kid to preschool in woot shirts. I'm having trouble resisting this purchase...

Edit:
AS SOON AS I CLICKED POST - woot.shirt tweets that it's the LAST CALL. fryers. In for two. One for mommy, one for the kiddo.

worlebird


quality posts: 3 Private Messages worlebird

Ah, yes. Looks like a promotional T-Shirt for the new Broadway musical "The Ring and Eye".

*rimshot*

Chickaboo1962


quality posts: 4 Private Messages Chickaboo1962
hippie19 wrote:Is that a flaming eyeball holding hands with a ring? I don't get it.



oh good...i'm not the only ignorant one here....muah!

♫♫♫♫♫ Woot♪a♪licious ♫♫♫♫♫

Chickaboo1962


quality posts: 4 Private Messages Chickaboo1962
cincijam wrote:Yet you're still here commenting. Checking every day, almost 500 shirts now, still nothing good. Well, maybe tomorrow. That's either hearteningly optimistic or sad.


You are obviously not looking hard enough or are very picky...in which case you will continue to be disappointed here...just sayin...

♫♫♫♫♫ Woot♪a♪licious ♫♫♫♫♫

Chickaboo1962


quality posts: 4 Private Messages Chickaboo1962
Chickaboo1962 wrote:You are obviously not looking hard enough or are very picky...in which case you will continue to be disappointed here...just sayin...



"i haven't seen a good shirt in almost 16 months!!!"

EDIT: my previous response was in response to the above post....


♫♫♫♫♫ Woot♪a♪licious ♫♫♫♫♫

dramakid2008


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dramakid2008

I don't know if I want to buy this shirt or not! I love it a lot, but I don't know GOBS of things about LOTR and I'm afraid people are going to come up and harass me about the writing on the ring. I just like LOTR a lot and also think this shirt is adorable.

ghett0bella


quality posts: 5 Private Messages ghett0bella

I don't get it. Never watched or read the LOTR trilogy. But it's still kinda cute.

<3 passionate bears

arioth


quality posts: 1 Private Messages arioth

Dang! Missed it by that much!

Smootiful


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Smootiful

Nooo!! Sold out before I had a chance to look up the site today! PLEASE PLEASE make more!??!?

captivity


quality posts: 6 Private Messages captivity
Smootiful wrote:Nooo!! Sold out before I had a chance to look up the site today! PLEASE PLEASE make more!??!?



I'm sure it'll be Reckoninged later.

blue_94_trooper


quality posts: 9 Private Messages blue_94_trooper
hiimjohn wrote:do the woots by state take into account the shipping location, or the billing address?



This must be important!

emilysp


quality posts: 0 Private Messages emilysp
Smootiful wrote:Nooo!! Sold out before I had a chance to look up the site today! PLEASE PLEASE make more!??!?



Just go to the reckoning page tomorrow and it will be for sale there until at least a week from Monday.

dsdonaghy


quality posts: 1 Private Messages dsdonaghy

He went to Jared!

ashtomorgo


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ashtomorgo

the fact that this shirt got me my first quality post makes me love LOTR that much more

repoman86


quality posts: 3 Private Messages repoman86
RvLeshrac wrote:'cept the ring is solid, featureless gold until tossed into fire. The Lidless Eye isn't really on fire, etc. etc. etc.

But this could go on FOREVER, and that's a nice shirt.



"...a lidless eye wreathed in flame."


potsic wrote:Book 1, Chapter 2: The Shadow of the Past

"... he now saw fine lines, finer than the finest pen strokes, running along the ring, outside and inside: lines of fire that seemed to form the letters of a flowing script."

Read the book. There's legible writing on both sides. Who has two thumbs and is an uber-nerd? <= This guy!



Trust me, I've read the books more times than I care to admit. I guess I always understood it as to be reversed on the inside, as if the glowing script was going all the way through the form of the ring. So if one furry-footed friend were to attempt to read just the inside it would be backwards, like a double-sided movie poster from the back...

...What? I already got the q.p. for expressing my nerdiness, might as well keep that trend going. I have a girlfriend by the way... I DO!! HONEST!!

colinedge


quality posts: 0 Private Messages colinedge

BAWLIN

ttkarel


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ttkarel
ahoyhoy wrote:I picked up my staff, I went lookin' for a place to hide;
When I saw Sauron and the Ring walkin' side by side.
I said, "Hey, Sauron, come on, let's go to Hobbiton."
He said, "I gotta flee Middle Earth, but m'friend can stick around."


From the band to the dead…
I lit out from Shire, I was chased by nine Nazgul
They'd kill me to get just this one ring
and all of them to rule.
Sit down Frodo, it's gonna take some time. I’m a friend of the wizard, you're a friend of mine
If you drop that ring into Mordor right, you just might get back home, alive.

nautikal


quality posts: 1 Private Messages nautikal

This is the best shirt I have ever seen... I love LOTR! I can't believe I missed it though . But I'll definitely buy it tomorrow.

jordan1122


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jordan1122

how can i get this?!!! i want it sooo bad! i love lotr =(

will it be available again?

such an awesome shirt!!!!

k2wananb


quality posts: 10 Private Messages k2wananb
eebie90 wrote:The books may have been published in the 50's, but their popularity today has mostly to do with the recent film adaptation. So LOTR is like the Original Star Wars to some people



You're joking, right? The Lord of the Rings trilogy is one of the best selling series of all time. It's one of the primary measures that works of fantasy are measured against. The movies were made because the series is hugely popular, not the other way around.

thechumslick


quality posts: 1 Private Messages thechumslick

I am 36 years old and I am a proud wooter of this shirt. This is the first time I got a shirt that isn't going to be reckoned away immediately.

fleamarketadict


quality posts: 8 Private Messages fleamarketadict
jordan1122 wrote:how can i get this?!!! i want it sooo bad! i love lotr =(

will it be available again?

such an awesome shirt!!!!



go to this url tomorrow and you can get it for $15
http://shirt.woot.com/Friends.aspx?k=13218

An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

jordan1122


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jordan1122
fleamarketadict wrote:go to this url tomorrow and you can get it for $15
http://shirt.woot.com/Friends.aspx?k=13218



thank you very much, i play lotro (lord of the rings online) and when i visited here i nearly jumped out of my seat. this is gonna be the first shirt i get here, pretty excited!

peterific


quality posts: 0 Private Messages peterific

nooooo I cannot believed i missed this. is there any way i can get this shirt still?

Steve1212


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Steve1212
peterific wrote:nooooo I cannot believed i missed this. is there any way i can get this shirt still?



Next week when the reckoning begins

IgnatiusRiley


quality posts: 1 Private Messages IgnatiusRiley

I got up early today just because I had a feeling that this would be first place, and that I'd have to buy one before work since they'd be sold out by the time I got back. Turns out my intuition actually works sometimes.

anthrochick


quality posts: 0 Private Messages anthrochick
k2wananb wrote:You're joking, right? The Lord of the Rings trilogy is one of the best selling series of all time. It's one of the primary measures that works of fantasy are measured against. The movies were made because the series is hugely popular, not the other way around.



Thank you for pointing this out! I couldn't believe someone thought LOTR was big because of the movies...I mean come on, that's like saying the sinking of the Titanic was only important because Cameron put it on the big screen.

mjc613


quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613

Congrats on the sellout, Patrick!

DoublEE


quality posts: 8 Private Messages DoublEE
k2wananb wrote:You're joking, right? The Lord of the Rings trilogy is one of the best selling series of all time. It's one of the primary measures that works of fantasy are measured against. The movies were made because the series is hugely popular, not the other way around.



Well, yes and no. The "trilogy" is not considered in the "best selling series" because Tolkien wrote it as a single book. As a single book, you are correct. It's in the top ten, selling more copies than the Book of Mormon.

MissJamieD


quality posts: 44 Private Messages MissJamieD
anthrochick wrote:Thank you for pointing this out! I couldn't believe someone thought LOTR was big because of the movies...I mean come on, that's like saying the sinking of the Titanic was only important because Cameron put it on the big screen.



I'm going to say, I have to agree as well. I'm 28 years of age. When I was a child (maybe 6 or 7), my father gave me a picture that he purchased for me at The Tinder Box (not sure if anyone is familiar with these, but they are cigar/tobacco shirts).

This picture is of the LOTR. It has Gandolf in the center, with Frodo at his side. At the very tip of his staff, there is a diamond in the picture (this picture is VERY thick).

As I aged, I noticed how many intricate details are in the frame, along the sides their are orcs and such. At the top, there is the depiction of the infamous words of the ring and the eye.

MAN, it really takes me back, and it completely influenced my love of the lore. It is certainly one that is difficult to match.

Having said all of this, it made me think of another, 'The World of Krystonia.'

Oh, pardon my nostalgia.. I'm getting carried away, lol!

fabiofranca


quality posts: 1 Private Messages fabiofranca

I just don't like their hands...