WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

April 22 is Earth Day, and this year Shirt.Woot is partnering with the oldest and largest grassroots environmental organization in the United States, The Sierra Club, to celebrate the best tiny ball of mud and water screaming around a ball of flaming plasma through the infinite emptiness of space we've ever lived on. This isn't about making Al Gore feel better; no matter which side of the debate you fall on we feel like it's a pretty safe assumption to say we all like living here.

That's why we're releasing a unique t-shirt design printed on certified organic shirts this Earth Day. Look for it Thursday, April 22. We're even issuing this week's Derby in the spirit of the Sierra Club Motto: "Explore, Enjoy, and Protect the Planet." It's also why we're mentioning that you can win a trip for two to Hawaii on the Sierra Club's dime. Check out the Sierra Club's Earth Day Sweepstakes and make a pledge. Before you say, "I knew there was a catch!" let us clarify: it's not a monetary pledge. You're simply pledging to take some sort of action to try and make the world a better place.

Maybe you'll bike to work instead of driving, or plant a tree, or eat organically. Maybe you'll do all three and then some. But by committing to doing something you enter yourself into a drawing and the Sierra Club will randomly choose someone to take a friend to Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park (worth the trip, even when it's NOT free) while staying at Mauna Lani hotel, one of Traveler's top "Earth-friendly getaways".

So swing by and sign up. Be sure to spread the word, too. After all, the more friends you have pledging the higher your likelihood of tagging along on a Hawaiian vacation. Enjoy your stay on the planet and have a happy Earth Day!

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU

It's a shame that respecting the earth is a bold stand. Because even if you're being tongue in cheek, you'd be impressed how many people are convinced caring about the environment, even a little, is a partisan issue.

That said, I'd be interested to know what woot is planning on pledging themselves, besides printing one-out-of-365 tees on an organic blank and "raising awareness" through a derby theme.

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo

I'm going to eat a package of hot dogs made from recycled animals!

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

I'm going to plant a couple of trees given to me by kenney9226!

colinm09

quality posts: 70 Private Messages colinm09

It would be cool if each shirt was offered on a normal American Apparel shirt (for $10) and an organic American Apparel shirt (for some price above $10). I'm sure this wouldn't exactly be cost-effective and I don't think most of the Woot colors are available in organic, but it would show a small concern for the environment.

-Matt Colin

RobertB

quality posts: 10 Private Messages RobertB

I've heard, though, that organic cotton isn't all it's cracked up to be. Cotton is a resource-intensive crop, so you're just swapping out a whole lot of petroleum-derived fertilizer for a whole lot of critter-derived fertilizer.

The folks I know who keep up with such things tell me that hemp fibers would be a much more sustainable alternative to cotton. They invariably follow up with "But you can't smoke it, really!" And then the discussion turns to legalization of various non-addictive plant products, and I end up forgetting what they were talking about in the first place.

Cr@p-free no more as of 5/26/2010!
(Previous B-to-the-OC: 11/17/2006)
i can haz quality post? zomg!

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
RobertB wrote:I've heard, though, that organic cotton isn't all it's cracked up to be. Cotton is a resource-intensive crop, so you're just swapping out a whole lot of petroleum-derived fertilizer for a whole lot of critter-derived fertilizer.

The folks I know who keep up with such things tell me that hemp fibers would be a much more sustainable alternative to cotton. They invariably follow up with "But you can't smoke it, really!" And then the discussion turns to legalization of various non-addictive plant products, and I end up forgetting what they were talking about in the first place.

don't bogart that shirt, dude!

chin4me

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chin4me

Does any portion of the sales go to Sierra Club? Or is it more to just raise awareness?

yojox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yojox

Too bad Sierra Club has their priorities a little out of whack. They oppose nuclear power (lowest CO2 emissions of any power source including wind and solar), yet support the burning of natural gas (C02 emitting fossil fuel). It's a strange position; I suspect funding plays a role in it.

http://seekerblog.com/archives/20100309/sierra-clubs-carl-pope-pushing-natural-gas/

But, at least the shirts are 'organic'. That should just about fix the earth, I think.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
yojox wrote:Too bad Sierra Club has their priorities a little out of whack. They oppose nuclear power (lowest CO2 emissions of any power source including wind and solar), yet support the burning of natural gas (C02 emitting fossil fuel). It's a strange position; I suspect funding plays a role in it.

http://seekerblog.com/archives/20100309/sierra-clubs-carl-pope-pushing-natural-gas/

But, at least the shirts are 'organic'. That should just about fix the earth, I think.

I'm totally with you on the sarcasm at the end here (in reality, woot is really doing nothing for anyone by printing one organic shirt), as well as the idea that we should definitely be going with way cleaner energy. But to be entirely fair, what nuclear power lacks in CO2, it more than makes up in being nuclear power. And I'm not really up on my history, but Chernobyl and Three Mile Island have led me to believe (and maybe this is liberal "gotcha" media propaganda) that a nuclear meltdown is about a million times worse than a little CO2 being produced by wind and solar power. Plants can't turn uranium into oxygen.

leelaaa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leelaaa
RobertB wrote:I've heard, though, that organic cotton isn't all it's cracked up to be. Cotton is a resource-intensive crop, so you're just swapping out a whole lot of petroleum-derived fertilizer for a whole lot of critter-derived fertilizer.

bamboo is good

JadenKale

quality posts: 179 Private Messages JadenKale
leelaaa wrote:bamboo is good

It just shouldn't be so damned expensive. I own a pair of "bamboo" socks. They are incredibly soft.