WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

This Derby we're trying something a little different. April 22 is Earth Day, and regardless of the politics we can all agree that ours is a pretty nifty planet to inhabit. That's why Shirt.Woot is partnering with The Sierra Club to present a special Earth Day shirt design printed on certified organic cotton shirts; look for it on Earth Day next Thursday, April 22 (Derby winners will still be printed on the usual run-of-the-mill American Apparel shirts you've all come to known and love).

Speaking of the Derby, we're kicking off our Earth Day festivities early with this week's Earth Day Derby. This Derby's a little unique: winning artists will receive a stash of Sierra Club merch in addition to the usual Woot payout. A really nifty design might even become Sierra Club merch, but that's one of those "possible, not plausible" kind of things we definitely wouldn't guarantee. Artists don't get all the fun; check out our blog for details on how you can win a trip for two to Hawaii courtesy of the Sierra Club.

Whew. Anyway, for this Derby, show us what's important to you on Earth Day. What's your favorite part of living here? How do you make this place better? What's the one natural wonder you've got to see before you die? It's a pretty broad topic, but show us how you, in the words of the Sierra Club motto, "Explore, Enjoy, and Protect the Planet."  Now for the usual rules:

No copyrighted images. We're partners, but the Sierra Club would probably still get uppity if we stole their logo.

No commemorations. We don't want "EARTH DAY 2010!" shirts that are out of date before they even show up in the mail. Show us your appreciation of Earth, not April 22.

No video games.

No bunnies.

No text.

No vampire bats. A totally random rule from a totally random Woot staffer totally randomly-named Shawn.

Ezshrkman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Ezshrkman

Sweet!

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 225 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Wow, what a nifty partnership. I expect there'll be some great designs coming out of this theme too!

bardofawen

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bardofawen

Awesome.

eye4spot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eye4spot

Oh the possibilities! Should be a great derby!

Kalari

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Kalari

Oooh... super-cool theme and partnership! I can't wait to see what our artists do with it. Please let's have the voters pick a great design -- I really want an organic woot shirt!

• (25)shirt.woots
  • (1) Bag o' Crap! 9/22/10

joelterrific

quality posts: 21 Private Messages joelterrific

Staff

Kalari wrote:Oooh... super-cool theme and partnership! I can't wait to see what our artists do with it. Please let's have the voters pick a great design -- I really want an organic woot shirt!

I should clarify, the Derby shirts will be our regular %100 cotton shirts, but sadly not organic. The logistics of offering organics in all our colors was too much. We will however, be selling a shirt on Thursday (4/22 and actually Earth Day) on an organic shirt.

Sorry for the confusion.

thrawnfett

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thrawnfett

Already got a few fun ideas. Reworking an old one and then something completely new. Can't wait to get off work and started drawing...

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

prediction: the winner will be a cute animal (but not a bunny or a vampire bat) planting a tree of some sort.

Eshto

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Eshto

There might be a lot of people doing an anthropomorphized "mother earth" design. I am still inclined to do it because I love mythology. I might make a "mother Gaia" design.

Salinga

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Salinga
no1 wrote:prediction: the winner will be a cute animal (but not a bunny or a vampire bat) planting a tree of some sort.

It's probably going to be a squirrel.

ChefRAZ

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ChefRAZ

something I'm working on in sugar. earth day means we are not the only ones on the planet, but we are the only ones that can make it better.

lkackman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lkackman
joelterrific wrote:I should clarify, the Derby shirts will be our regular %100 cotton shirts, but sadly not organic. The logistics of offering organics in all our colors was too much. We will however, be selling a shirt on Thursday (4/22 and actually Earth Day) on an organic shirt.

Sorry for the confusion.

...why in the heck did you not choose hemp?
It's organic and less detrimental to the environment.

Come on woot, get with it.

no1

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

Nice, I was wondering if there would be an earthy theme coming up. And yay for partnering with the Sierra Club!

SeedUvPain

quality posts: 11 Private Messages SeedUvPain

All i can think about now is vampire bats

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc

This gets lemon juice in the eye for those of us who are anti-earth, all smug with her natural beauty and resources.

ChefRAZ

I posted. and after thinking about it, I think people need to treat everyday like it's earth day. because it is. =P

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
lkackman wrote:...why in the heck did you not choose hemp?
It's organic and less detrimental to the environment.

Come on woot, get with it.

AA doesn't make hemp shirts. C'mon, organic galaxy!

http://store.americanapparel.net/2001org.html?cid=107

bellarific

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bellarific

But.....but.......I contribute to the well-being of the planet by incubating abandoned baby vampire bats until maturation!

I guess it's plan B.

SeedUvPain

quality posts: 11 Private Messages SeedUvPain

Dibs:

mikenytola

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola

So, for something nature and earth themed there are no bunnies... but chibli, cthulhu, macabre, skulls, zombies and robots are ok? Yep, that makes total sense.

*facepalm

Sergio37

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sergio37

but but... bunnys are part of the earth too!

ChefRAZ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnwXbLxozL4&feature=related youtube vid.

phild3791

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phild3791

I just did an google image search for Earth Day Shirt. There are a lot of ideas already taken. BE CAREFUL. There is nothing worse than working on a design all night; only to have someone post a link to something too similar, three minutes after later.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

I was cool until the vampire bats part.

Was really hoping that we'd have bats.

Sigh.

Maybe I'll do one of the many anthropomorphic earths making fun of an anthropomorphic mars shirts

nevetnod

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nevetnod

Hey, woot writers.... I think I heard somewhere that "uppity" is now considered a racial slur. Yeah, I don't think it should be, but that's what I'm hearing these days, so.... ya might wanna consider a quick edit.

I like celery.

theWanker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theWanker

I came up with this design just now. Just rotated the earth around to create a mountain range.

I'm really thinking how I handle color will either make or break this design, and I'm not there yet. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

applesauced

quality posts: 0 Private Messages applesauced

This is VERY cool! It's a shame the derby shirts couldn't be organic as well. I'd even pay an extra buck or two for organic. Hemp would also be awesome....

Re: Squirrels: got my vote

Re: Bats: you've still got about 1,000 non-vampiric species to choose from!

omnitarian

quality posts: 15 Private Messages omnitarian
What's your favorite part of living here?

A: Vampire bats

What's the one natural wonder you've got to see before you die?

A: Vampire bats

How do you make this place better?

A: Add more vampire bats.

cakeninjak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cakeninjak

DANG! My design with vampire bats sucking the life out of the earth and giant "RIP" all over the shirt won't fly here. :/

I think we can get some potentially good designs here, though. I just hope they're not all sappy with polar bears or kitties with gigantic, watery eyes.

foreverspyder

quality posts: 1 Private Messages foreverspyder

Well for this derby I agree with no video games. Usually I wish they'd allow it. Although I wish artists would refrain from the stereotypical video games. (and for those who do, hoorah.) I guess there's a need for these rules.

And that's the end of my comment, it went in a huge circle and by the end of it meant nothing.

Looking forward to clever designs and Earth Day!

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg

"Explore, Enjoy, and Protect the Planet"
Hmmm. That's a tough one, and pretty much excludes logo-ish designs. I'm not in this one (outta town), but I'd been thinking of mentioning DaVinci's Vitruvian Man, with the circle transformed into the earth, or a circular series of earth symbols/imagery. But that doesn't really reflect the above statement. Hmmm.

mikenytola

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola
nevetnod wrote:Hey, woot writers.... I think I heard somewhere that "uppity" is now considered a racial slur. Yeah, I don't think it should be, but that's what I'm hearing these days, so.... ya might wanna consider a quick edit.

I don't even see how uppity could even be a racial slur. Is there a certain race like overly likes coffee?

no1

paigeg wrote:"Explore, Enjoy, and Protect the Planet"
Hmmm. That's a tough one, and pretty much excludes logo-ish designs. I'm not in this one (outta town), but I'd been thinking of mentioning DaVinci's Vitruvian Man, with the circle transformed into the earth, or a circular series of earth symbols/imagery. But that doesn't really reflect the above statement. Hmmm.

by "enjoy the planet" i think that means a picture of mars making sweet, sweet love with mother earth.

Eshto

nevetnod wrote:Hey, woot writers.... I think I heard somewhere that "uppity" is now considered a racial slur. Yeah, I don't think it should be, but that's what I'm hearing these days, so.... ya might wanna consider a quick edit.

It's not a new slur, it's old but it's been resurrected lately because of certain political changes.

Eshto

mikenytola wrote:I don't even see how uppity could even be a racial slur. Is there a certain race like overly likes coffee?

During the civil rights era, black people and other minorities who demanded equality were labeled "uppity" and told that they should know their place in society.

But many of us here are too young to remember it, unless you study history.

demengraphics

quality posts: 0 Private Messages demengraphics

I've seen some similar concepts solo (butterfly coming out of the cocoon, tree hearts, etc), but I've been searching and haven't really seen something like this...anyone else?

jerroul

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jerroul
SeedUvPain wrote:All i can think about now is vampire bats

VAMPIRE CHIPMUNKS !!!

ChrisRisse

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ChrisRisse

interesting theme, excellent prize... tempting.