WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Turn on, tune in, and Woot out. We're getting all "mind manifestation" this week with our Psychedelia Derby. Give us your take on the swirling patterns, kaleidoscopic colors, and fractal designs of psychedelic art. As scary as this could potentially be, we want to see your altered states of consciousness. Obviously we don't endorse altering your consciousness through any chemical alteration, but maybe you can read some Timothy Leary and listen to some West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band and work your magic. We don't want to harsh your mellow, man, but we've got some ground rules:

Text only within the psychedelic style. That means no "text only" designs, and all text must be HAND-DRAWN (no fonts).

No video games.

No bunnies.

No penguins.

No Branford, Wynton, or Chicken Marsalis.
A totally random rule from a totally random Woot staffer totally randomly-named Andrew.

striker138

quality posts: 1 Private Messages striker138

If I had a style.. this wouldn't be it.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Yikes!

Gotta get my thinking cap for this one... :^)

omnitarian

quality posts: 15 Private Messages omnitarian

I wanted to enter the derby for the first time in a long time and this theme will make it very easy. Thanks Woot.

EDIT: It also give me good reason to listen to lots of Viva Voce. Nice deal.

Lagbert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert

Do bad trips count? Might be a good opportunity to drop an design left over from madness : )

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

Finally something new. IT'll be interesting to see what people come up with..

illuminator

quality posts: 0 Private Messages illuminator

Groovy, dude... I have no idea what to do... :/

[watch this space]

graffd02

quality posts: 1 Private Messages graffd02

This sounds like so much fun!

must do my best this week... I feel I've been slacking lately...

striker138

quality posts: 1 Private Messages striker138

How does Woot expect me to make a psychedelic art design without giving me the ability to incorporate a white rabbit?

Ezshrkman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Ezshrkman

Trippy!

vzfamily

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vzfamily

I have no clue what to expect from you wonderful artists. This should be interesting...

swimatm

quality posts: 1 Private Messages swimatm

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 115 Private Messages DianaSprinkle

Psychedelic Posters might be a good place to start.

I'm not a big fan of style derby themes but I sort of look forward to this one. I love hand drawn fonts.

Draug

quality posts: 69 Private Messages Draug

Yes! I see nowhere where mongoose can fit into this! X3

And Andrew isn't as cool a name as Pilot... <_<

The enemy's gate is down.
Writers are people too! (Albeit strange ones.)
Save Poe! Reckon Nevermore! Or he'll be head-locked forevermore!

illuminator

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychedelic_art

Good reference for ideas... hmmm... I don't do drugs, but maybe some Parrot Bay can help? :D

DUUUUUDE THE COLORS!!!

jewelwing

quality posts: 13 Private Messages jewelwing

Hmmm. There's a time I would have jumped on this, but now... pass. Over it.

truffleshuffle

quality posts: 4 Private Messages truffleshuffle

I wish I had more than 6 colors *sigh*...but PERHAPS this is my long awaited chance to do something on an orange shirt!

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613

To get a feel for psychedelic, take a look at graphics from the Yellow Submarine movie. The colors and shapes are key.

For text, overlapping bubble letters were very popular. To get an idea of what I'sm talking about look at these sites:
http://www.ehow.com/how_4425772_learn-draw-bubble-letters.html
http://arizonakate.com/t120-bubble-letters.html
and check out this tutorial
http://www.ehow.com/video_4951736_draw-bubble-letters.html

mjc613

striker138 wrote:How does Woot expect me to make a psychedelic art design without giving me the ability to incorporate a white rabbit?

Why not use a walrus instead?

illuminator

Ooooh.. H.R. Giger is considered psycholdelic art... something really really dark this way comes! :9

imsochady

quality posts: 26 Private Messages imsochady
striker138 wrote:How does Woot expect me to make a psychedelic art design without giving me the ability to incorporate a white rabbit?

You can draw a penguin dressed as a rabbit!

llandar

quality posts: 32 Private Messages llandar
illuminator wrote:Ooooh.. H.R. Giger is considered psycholdelic art

By whom?

vzfamily

imsochady wrote:You can draw a penguin dressed as a rabbit!

No penguin's either! LOL

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc

I was a little put off by the theme this week, then I realized that the underground comix guys that I've been trying to emulate were some of the top psychedelic poster artists.

illuminator

llandar wrote:By whom?

Wikipedia! :D

Psychedelic artists
Pablo Amaringo
Brummbaer
Giorgio de Chirico
Salvador Dalí
Roger Dean
Warren Dayton
Ernst Fuchs
H. R. Giger
Alex Grey
Rick Griffin
John Hurford
Alton Kelley
Mati Klarwein
Peter Max
Stanley "Mouse" Miller
Victor Moscoso
Gilbert Shelton
John Van Hamersveld
Robert Williams
Wes Wilson
Oleg A. Korolev
Karl Ferris
The Fool (design collective)
Danny Glix

vzfamily

odysseyroc wrote:I was a little put off by the theme this week, then I realized that the underground comix guys that I've been trying to emulate were some of the top psychedelic poster artists.

The first person I thought of that would do fantastic this week was you! Of course in my mind I think psychedelic=graffiti even though I know that's not really the case. But the first thing that popped in my head was your 'How a Can of Spray Paint Works'.

Lagbert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert

Thank goodness for the "No Video Games", or there would have been a deluge of Mario/Mushroom references.

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
vzfamily wrote:The first person I thought of that would do fantastic this week was you! Of course in my mind I think psychedelic=graffiti even though I know that's not really the case. But the first thing that popped in my head was your 'How a Can of Spray Paint Works'.

I'd say that psychedelic art is a huge influence on graffiti. Vaughn Bode is probably the single most influential artist on graffiti characters and design. Robert Williams was a big influence for those of us in Los Angeles.

vzfamily

odysseyroc wrote:I'd say that psychedelic art is a huge influence on graffiti. Vaughn Bode is probably the single most influential artist on graffiti characters and design. Robert Williams was a big influence for those of us in Los Angeles.

Yeah - so my first instinct was right - I was wrong! LOL I'm just here since I love watching all of the creativity (and the shirts). I have no knowledge of anything artistic! LOL

mjc613

illuminator wrote:Wikipedia! :D

very long list

Keep in mind that there is no oversight on wikipedia. Someone can add Walt Disney, and it would be up to the next reader to realize that the person who added that made a mistake or a joke.

So while Peter Max was definitely a psychedelic artist - in the 60's and 70s (his modern stuff is really just a way to generate income), Salvadore Dali is really isn't. He was a surrealistic artist (his melting clock picture, for example).

If it doesn't remind you of a black light poster or the Yellow Submarine cartoon, it probably isn't psychedelic.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
illuminator wrote:Wikipedia! :D

Psychedelic artists
Pablo Amaringo
Brummbaer
Giorgio de Chirico
Salvador Dalí
Roger Dean
Warren Dayton
Ernst Fuchs
H. R. Giger
Alex Grey
Rick Griffin
John Hurford
Alton Kelley
Mati Klarwein
Peter Max
Stanley "Mouse" Miller
Victor Moscoso
Gilbert Shelton
John Van Hamersveld
Robert Williams
Wes Wilson
Oleg A. Korolev
Karl Ferris
The Fool (design collective)
Danny Glix

At least one person knows. ;)

jerroul

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jerroul

As someone who lived through the sixties...in high school and college...psychedelic art was, to those of us who were experiencing it, NOT a unified movement in and of itsself , but was rather an all incompassing collective of any art that engaged the mind in an expanding universality of consciousness. That means that while the Psychedlic Movement included such obvious artists as Max and Crumb, and all the ones on the Wikipedia list, psychedelia also, as a general category, included MC Escher, Heronimus Bosch, Dali, and a lot of other artists who "like expand your mind". Hey man, don't bring me down with all your rules...there should be a lot of wiggle room here.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

AdderXYU wrote:
I can't wait to see three completely unrepresentative designs win like in every other style derby!

Yeah, this is one of those derbies where actually making your entry on-topic will probably reduce the amount of votes you get (I can't imagine any kind of psychedelic shirt I would ever want to wear, but maybe someone will surprise me). That wouldn't be a big deal if everyone kept on-topic, but most likely there will be a ton of surrealist entries that will have more voting draw yet be completely off-topic. So the question is do you go on-topic and hope they bring down the rejection hammer or do you just say to heck with it and design whatever you want. Dilemmas, dilemmas.

JesseBYAH

quality posts: 5 Private Messages JesseBYAH

OOOoooohhhh... I might have to do some drawing tonight and see if anyone wants to color it for me... Time to listen to some Infected Mushroom and Porcupine Tree's Voyage 34 and get on that... OOO maybe some Shpongle, too! And Pendulum...

If anyone needs some inspirational music, I've got tons more...

capedcrusader514

quality posts: 1 Private Messages capedcrusader514

I think im out on this bad boy. Unless something stupid awesome strikes me. Which is doubtful.

mjc613

JesseBYAH wrote:OOOoooohhhh... I might have to do some drawing tonight and see if anyone wants to color it for me... Time to listen to some Infected Mushroom and Porcupine Tree's Voyage 34 and get on that... OOO maybe some Shpongle, too! And Pendulum...

If anyone needs some inspirational music, I've got tons more...

While those are classified as psychedelic, they are pretty modern. I was thinking more along the line of Jefferson Airplane and Chick Corea.

JesseBYAH

mjc613 wrote:While those are classified as psychedelic, they are pretty modern. I was thinking more along the line of Jefferson Airplane and Chick Corea.

I dig it all, but i will admit that I'm more in to the modern stuff. It's all good, though I was just sayin, if anyone needed musical suggestions, I could provide a few. Infected Mushroom and Pendulum are pretty techno-y (though NOT your typical nnn-tss nnn-tss nnn-tss techno), Shpongle is just all-around craziness, and Voyage 34 is pretty Floyd-y if you're looking for a modern take on that classic style.

More musical suggestions, everyone? I like music =D

JesseBYAH

tgentry wrote:Yeah, this is one of those derbies where actually making your entry on-topic will probably reduce the amount of votes you get (I can't imagine any kind of psychedelic shirt I would ever want to wear, but maybe someone will surprise me). That wouldn't be a big deal if everyone kept on-topic, but most likely there will be a ton of surrealist entries that will have more voting draw yet be completely off-topic. So the question is do you go on-topic and hope they bring down the rejection hammer or do you just say to heck with it and design whatever you want. Dilemmas, dilemmas.

True. It's hard to classify. Some psychedelic art could be considered surreal, but most surreal art isn't psychedelic, IMO.

sasham62

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sasham62

It's too bad I can't use this

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
JesseBYAH wrote:I dig it all, but i will admit that I'm more in to the modern stuff. It's all good, though I was just sayin, if anyone needed musical suggestions, I could provide a few. Infected Mushroom and Pendulum are pretty techno-y (though NOT your typical nnn-tss nnn-tss nnn-tss techno), Shpongle is just all-around craziness, and Voyage 34 is pretty Floyd-y if you're looking for a modern take on that classic style.

More musical suggestions, everyone? I like music =D

Like this one....