SWSU

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SWSU
Re: Dont Tread On My Art

I'm not anyone in disguise. I'm a first time submitter. I've lurked for quite a while. I had this idea in my head for quite a while. This seemed like the perfect derby for it. I hope you enjoy it.

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
Re: Move Already...

A more enlightened kawaii. I can almost hear Yoda cautioning the hare to be more patient and to use the force.. GMV!

fftkrazee

quality posts: 3 Private Messages fftkrazee
Re: KITTY-UP

Ahaha Kitty-up. Haven't heard that before.

fftkrazee

Re: Death By Cuteness

Sick drawing. Love the dark bold outline. Kind of has a cel-shaded feel. Although I wish the "face" was a little more kawaii.

fftkrazee

Re: Orbital Model of the Carbon Atom

Really clever idea. And the colors really pop well.

jessisima

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jessisima
Re: King of the Kiwis

I have a friend who is, strangely, fearful of kiwi birds. Apparently it has something to do with them having whiskers.... I really enjoy this though

fftkrazee

Re: Sugar

ahaha the face on the octopus is great. i really like the lettering too.

bookcaterpillar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bookcaterpillar
Re: honeyyy!!

Personally, I liked this one from Derby 144, tho it's true this one is cuter

http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=41771

Kelsium

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Kelsium
Re: u can't haz this

greatness!

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: Love me!

JesseBYAH wrote:Love it =)

Yay, thanks Jesse=) Almost didn't submit this one!

jenanic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenanic
Re: Short Circuit

LMAO, I love it!!

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
snarkygal wrote:For some reason, and I could be wrong, but I think this is not the first time Ramyb has put up an entry that has been compared to Fable's "You Have To Try This Guys" win from Derby #82.

Perhaps you are remembering that "you have to try this guys" was compared to my entries when it was posted.

bubsters

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bubsters
Re: u can't haz this

This is really cute!

Kelsium

Re: What do countries talk about?

Being of Czech descent....GMV

bubsters

Re: Bottles of bear!

This is what I thought the song meant when I was a kid.

Kelsium

Re: the hills are alive

The hills are alive....and so is the sun and clouds! AHHHHH!! GMV

albinoapple

quality posts: 2 Private Messages albinoapple
CrescentDebris wrote:It's ok to be bothered by things but I think maybe you're concentrating too much on what you think is there. I'm not sure why making a woman the center of a design is a problem anyway. I would think if it was always men then someone would complain that "Women can be as strong as men" or something. If anything I think it's time for more women to balance the scales of equality.

I'm tossing this one out of my court room!

You're right, it wasn't as often as I had thought. I had thought that because it bothers me when it does happen so it's memorable. Nonetheless these designs do make me uncomfortable for reasons I hope to convey.

It's not about a woman being the center of the design that bothers me, and if you think that's what I meant, there's a communication issue. I feel that the only reason that person is a woman is because he wanted sexiness. He wanted a hot emo sex kitten. She's there for the same reason that we don't see topless men bending over in car ads.

cjjang

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cjjang
Re: Happy food means delicious taco party.

look up "taco party" on urban dictionary...unfortunate coincidence

Kelsium

Re: King of the Kiwis

I think this kiwi is super cute! GMV

albinoapple

quality posts: 2 Private Messages albinoapple
chennai8 wrote:Wow, i was just gonna tell her it's better than wearing shirt with a sexy and mysterious man.

;)

I wholly disagree! At least it's some eye candy for me instead of someone else!

animizegirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages animizegirl
Re: Harmless

i love bunnies!!! got two of my own. i'm a sucker for cute soft furry animals.

animizegirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages animizegirl

i love bunnies!!! got two of my own. i'm a sucker for cute soft furry animals.

bubsters

Re: Orbital Model of the Carbon Atom

This is clever! <3 it.

bassanimation

quality posts: 97 Private Messages bassanimation
Re: Happy Bunny Samurai

This is awesome, TJost! Just the kind of design for this derby! +1

bassanimation

Re: Move Already...

Hahaha, this is actually really clever. Always love your work! I can't wait to see your first idea, I've been waiting for that one :D.

goukanomegami

quality posts: 2 Private Messages goukanomegami
Re: Trainers for the Ethical Treatment of Animals

Excellent shirt. I'm a vegan, and people are constantly bugging me on how I can be such a pokemon nerd and be vegan at the same time. I would totally rock this shirt.

bubsters

fishbiscuit5 wrote:The error was intentional. I am an English teacher. A lot is correct English, but the joke is to use bad grammar.

Adorable! I thought the error was intentional, like lolcats talk.

bassanimation

I always admire how well you work with a limited color palette. I really like the bunny's form, which probably seems silly to say, since it's just a 'ittle bunneh, but still. I just like how he looks.

I can take or leave the text. I am not a huge fan of texty shirts, but it doesn't bother me particularly bad here. I would be pleased to wear this bunneehh of deaths!

bassanimation

Re: KITTY-UP

The little ratty looks like a stoofus moon! Only with black eyes instead of the blind-arse red.

Adorable rattyness slays me every time.

bassanimation

AcorNayho wrote:oh schnapp! Can't stop the signal... but what if The battlestar pegasus came in tow? what then? You're dead in the water...

A+ on the frakkin goram references by the way.

Oh my goodness, I have some friends who are very, very big Serenity fans. They are member of the Browncoats and travel to fan meets at cons. Best (insert random Chinese) show evr.

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday

I'll address the major concerns in bulk.

1. This isn't plagiarism because tons of people have done it before.

Shoot someone. Rob a store. I think you'll find that the law doesn't really care if someone else did it first and didn't get punished.

2. Nothing is new so every idea is unoriginal so it's not plagiarism

Write a book about a child wizard going to a wizarding school. Make a movie about a teenager thrust into a rebellion to stop an evil mystical empire. See if you get contacted by any lawyers.

Most everything is a twist on major themes. As mentioned, a picture of an atom is just that. There are lots of pictures of what people conceive of atoms to look like. However there are certain combinations of elements that are unique to the creators who popularized them.

Cute killer bunnies begin and end with Monty Python. No one put those particular things together in that particular way (cute bunny curiously surrounded by piles of bones) before they did. The same way you can't start writing books or making shirts about little people with magic rings, you can't recreate someone else's specific ideas lawfully.

3. You just hate ramy because he's popular and are jealous

Find me another popular artist here that I hate. I love tgentry, cmdixon, drakxxx, kasey, rglee just to name a few. I'll give you a hint. They are fabulous designers with integrity and creativity who make original works most of the time and when they make derivative works they make very certain to put their own stamp on it.

ramy gets so much hate because he repeatedly rips off other people without making use of any parody whatsoever. You can like it or not but classic ideas and subject matter are public domain, and Monty Python and the Holy Grail isn't. Their Intellectual Property rights still stand. So to make any derivative work you absolutely have to have adequate parody and there is none here. The rabbit is presented in exactly the same way as the movie with no differences whatsoever. This is just unlicensed merchandise and as with anything else, cashing in on someone else's ideas is plagiarism. It doesn't matter if you think it's better plagiarism than other things you've seen.

The fact is ramy has already done it before. He made a design for the propaganda derby where he shamelessly ripped off Stephen Colbert and his crusade against bears straight down to the "godless killing machines" tag line with absolutely no changes whatsoever.

He has blatantly plagiarized before and will do so again. The bears shirt he pulled himself before it could get rejected because he knew he'd been caught.

He tried to pretend initially the shirt wasn't about bears at all just a generic "thing to be wary of" then changed his tact saying of course he took it from Colbert but it was a tribute and tried to say he googled godless killing machines and found no shirts like it despite the fact that at the time and still now the truthiness wiki and shirts with the tag are the first results.

In the year or so he's been here he's learned to play the victim because new users buy it, but the fact remains he's repeatedly been caught stealing other people's work and some of us are tired of it.

tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
Re: Happy Bunny Samurai v2

Version two, now with more carrot and less carnage I thought the green might help the cuteness too, grey doesn't scream cute.

jmmbell1987

quality posts: 78 Private Messages jmmbell1987
bubsters wrote:This is really cute!

Kelsium wrote:greatness!

I promised myself that I'd be extra nice this derby. I won't get snarky. I won't get snarky. I won't get snarky.

bubsters

Re: Taco Party!

haha, cute! Looks so colorful and delish :-P

bassanimation

Re: Happy Bunny Samurai v2

Haha, this is a nice change. I can never tell when Wooters will want or not want 'violence' in their shirts. Sometimes you get cheers, sometimes jeers. Either way, I like both! GMV again!

bubsters

Re: Must... Resist...

I really like how you made the green pop and glow...it is irresistible.

jmmbell1987

quality posts: 78 Private Messages jmmbell1987
snarkygal wrote:It would have been nice if they actually created new characters at least. The same kitten, the same d**m bunny. Yes, this is their specialty but c'mon, at least try, not just phone it in.

They've made an art form out of phoning it in. It's how they roll. For once, the theme is right in their wheelhouse, and they can exert even less effort than they usually do. I expected nothing less than what they're peddling this derby.

bassanimation

sekiyoku wrote:<3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMWi7CLoZ2Q

This video slays me every time....AUGH. Those tiny eating munchy faces! -falls over to the will of my uterus and estrogen- I think I listened to it 3 times today at work just to lift the mood :D.

bubsters

Re: Nom Nom Casualty

Omelets made great, this is so cute! There's something with faces on food that's about to be eaten..

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
jmmbell1987 wrote:I promised myself that I'd be extra nice this derby. I won't get snarky. I won't get snarky. I won't get snarky.

Why not? I quite like snarkygal and I'd love to see what kind of orifice she'd tear into this one.