fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 32 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
Re: Vampire Pirate Ninja

Vampire Bunny, Pirate Puppy, and Ninja Kitty are here to save the day!

Siax

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Siax
bubsters wrote:Love the glowing flames behind it!

thanks!

Hierosocks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hierosocks
Re: Dance Monkey Dance

This design is fricken awesome!

sogj

quality posts: 15 Private Messages sogj

Cute! My daughter will definitely be getting this if it prints.

+1

I refuse to answer on the grounds that I don't know the answer.

Hierosocks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hierosocks
Re: Dance Monkey Dance

This design is fricken awesome!

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
Re: Hi Cuttie!

The art here is far beyond the kawaii standard - well done! Though, if I wore this to the gym (my usual place to display Woot T Art), I would probably get either laughed at, or challenged to a feat of strength I couldn't win. But - it's so PRETTY!

NameyMcName

quality posts: 10 Private Messages NameyMcName
albinoapple wrote:You're right, it wasn't as often as I had thought. I had thought that because it bothers me when it does happen so it's memorable. Nonetheless these designs do make me uncomfortable for reasons I hope to convey.

It's not about a woman being the center of the design that bothers me, and if you think that's what I meant, there's a communication issue. I feel that the only reason that person is a woman is because he wanted sexiness. He wanted a hot emo sex kitten. She's there for the same reason that we don't see topless men bending over in car ads.

I wouldn't be comfortable wearing a shirt with a character dressed like this, but it has more to do with what I consider appropriate to be worn in public. I realize I do have more conservative ideas about dress than the general populous, though.

Lagbert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert
Re: Say Cheese

Thanks for the support everyone! I did a google search for cheese shirt before posting to make sure this wouldn't happen too. Oh wells. Maybe my new design will do well - see my sig.

Lagbert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert
Re: Hello Cute World

Hello Kitty meets Hello World minus trademark infringement.

paigeg

Drakxxx wrote:Thanks for the support guys. I didn't think this would stand up against the ranks of other kind of cute in the top 10, but the design's purpose was to offer something to those that might not have necessarily wanted all that "^-^" in their shirt this week. And I'm glad to see it's done it's job in those regards.

And so it did. Probably the only shir tin this derby I'd actually wear (said the owner of the 'Quick Brown Fox' while hanging her head in shame...).

Siax

Re: Fresh cake!

This shirt has amazing originality.......

plus the gif's make it even better....as if it could get any better +1.......and if I could +1 again

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
sillykitten wrote:Am I the only one who realizes that this argument is silly?
The argument you are looking for is whether TRIBUTES are legal, not plagiarism.

Tributes are legal with parody. This has no parody. Hence it is plagiarism. Simple as that.

WarholBot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages WarholBot

aww man

Re: Harmony

cleeksfire

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cleeksfire
Re: world nom-ination :D

This is the cutest ever!!! Good luck! =D I'm so buying this if I can

Javrixx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Javrixx

Love it.

Elicea wrote:Come on... we all know that when you die you will either turn into a Vampire and thirst for warm blood, turn into a Zombie and hunger for wonderful delicious braaaiinnnss.... or be frozen for 1000 years, at which point science will have discovered how to bring you back to life with the body of a robot so that you may live forever and ever. Personally, I would rather be a Zombie.

WarholBot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages WarholBot

yup

bubsters wrote:haha, is this in reference to The Brave Little Toaster?

Siax

Re: Hello Cute World

HA! a Hello world reference +1

elife55

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elife55
Re: But iz mah Burfdai!

is the thing in the middle suppose to be the ring of Lord Of The Rings????

alwaysthemuse

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alwaysthemuse
Re: Oh No She Di'nt

Oh god..LOL! You get a vote for hilariousness alone!

zenith1047

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zenith1047
Re: Whales. Save Them. DO IT!

I think this would be a bit better if the location of the words "Save Them" and "Whales" were swapped. so it naturally read "Whales! Save Them" rather than "Save Them Whales!"

Pretending to be human since 1913

paigeg

paigeg wrote:OK, so meh. Damn. I know I suck as an artist, but I ocassionally think I have a good idea.
>sigh< Maybe next derby...

OK, REALLY??? This idea is Tooo funny if you've been shirt.Wooting for any length of time. Does no one have the time and/or bollocks to take it on? I'm starting to think a certain shirt.woot commentator has become an establishment institution no one dare challenge. Really? REALLY? O, damn-ed antidisestablishmentarianism! Somebody re-draw and submit the fewkin thing, already. I don't want a cent, just the opportunity to say my name was on the frickin' thing. Because this idea is Woot GOLD, I tell ya - GOLD! Aside from the collateral vote/purchase from the masses, the entire population of RAMYB/Seki fans will flock to have one of these. YES! They Will!
>pant, pant, pant<
OK, I'm calmer now. I think. No wait...

CrescentDebris

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CrescentDebris

jessisima

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jessisima
bubsters wrote:Cute design and composition! I'm sure that horn's very useful.

Thanks! I like your bears as wel

Siax

fluffiemuffins wrote:This is my first ever derby entry!! ^_^

The drawing is by me, and is colored by MaliceKaiser!

good combo +1

mrwednesday

stupididiot wrote:i joined this site to submit designs, which ive done a couple of already. so why would this be an alt account? i have friends on here who know me. i dont understand why you see one shirt and assume its an alt? in fact i submitted pieces even before i bought a shirt here, its been that long since ive liked something. so maybe you should keep your assumptions to yourself, you know what they say about people who make assumptions.

You might want to take your own advice. Let's take this at face value. You joined two months ago so you know literally nothing about the site before that. You assume you know this designer's motivations. You assume you know their history. You also assume that you know my history and motivations at this site. You also assume you know anything about IP which you clearly don't. A simple read through of any literature on IP, derivative works, parody, etc. contradicts nearly everything you've said on the matter. What I don't need to assume is that you're trolling because you are.

(Sorry, Thunder Things, I had meant to leave it at the previous comment since it's not worth arguing with those whose defense is "you hate the artist," but a feel at least a rebuttal is warranted and I have nothing further to say on that particular matter)

mrwednesday

CrescentDebris wrote:Saved

Winner! Winner! Chicken dinner!!!!

mcbeagles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mcbeagles
Re: But iz mah Burfdai!

Very clever!

DarkDrag0n

quality posts: 7 Private Messages DarkDrag0n

@mrwednesday et al.

As someone who knows something about patenting designs (fairly similar to media) this is definitely NOT BY ANY MEANS infringement. I'm not even sure why you people are arguing about the definition of "plagiarism" when it's not a legally-defined term. You don't sue someone for plagiarism, you sue them for infringement of your rights as a copyright etc. holder.

Plagiarism is a broad term used generally by academia, since such institutions are designed for the creation and dissemination of ideas. As such, plagiarism is defined by each institution along with a set of consequences for violating their rules on the subject. Note that this has absolutely nothing to do with the corporate world and the concept of infringement, where one party has to have some form of legal backing confirming them as the copyright etc. holder. Hence, any arguments about this shirt plagiarizing are utterly pointless and have no consequence whatsoever.

tl;dr:
Woot is not an institution that defines or recognizes plagiarism outside of what gets rejected. This design has not been rejected, therefore it DOES NOT PLAGIARIZE.

paigeg

albinoapple wrote:She's there for the same reason that we don't see topless men bending over in car ads.

Topless men in car ads? Why aren't they wearing manly Daisy Dukes? Yo, bring 'em on!

I'm sorry - I don't mean to belittle your concern, but I think age has given me a perspective you may lack (as much as I may lament admitting the 'age' thing).
Drakxxx and (I assume, forgive me if I'm wrong) Crescent Debris are males. Males like females. It's not intentionally sexist, or in any way meant to belittle. They represent what, to them, is pretty/beautiful/vulerable/hot/sexy... Basically, what works for them. There are times I do get put off by some over-the-top piece that puts a woman in a peril position - the victim pose. But these days, I can appreciate a female character - no matter how idealized - in the power position.
If you look at it this way: It's kinda cute to watch them figure out we're the bosses.
(For further clarification, I'm not that shallow/maneating, but there are moments...)

paigeg

Re: Oh No She Di'nt

Just further proof that Beavis and Butthead were NEVER funny. OR cute. Lol!

paigeg

Re: cUt ouT tHe cUteNesS

CD, you GMV, just for the iea. I can't wear anything this saccharine, even in parody. But kudos, dude!

CapSea

quality posts: 54 Private Messages CapSea
Re: Love Monster

This was totally worth your time and effort.

paigeg

Re: Sleepover?

Sadly, I think my 'tween niece, and any number of guys I know, would love this. but, that's kawaii for ya.

paigeg

Re: Right in the kittens v2

I still don't care if the joke is old. I would wear this in a heartbeat.

paigeg

Re: Kawaii Sulu

Not to mention the obvious stab at the man's lifestyle choice. No. Just, no.

paigeg

Re: Clubbing Revisited

No. I think I get the intent, but - I am a proponent of wildlife protection, as well as saving other earthly resources. I simply could not wear a shirt that, on the surface, made me appear to WANT to club a baby seal. There are far too many literal-minded folk out there who might hate me for it - or worse - agree with the surface message!
Noooo - I have too little faith in the mental agility of my fellow (wo)man.

paigeg

Re: My Pet Shirt

I think folks might think it was a SpongeBob shirt. It's the tee color...

paigeg

Re: They call me Sugar Baby

It's a SugarGlider - I got it immediately. They aren't common as pets in the States. And probably rightly so. But I did get it.

mrwednesday

DarkDrag0n wrote:As such, plagiarism is defined by each institution along with a set of consequences for violating their rules on the subject.

It maybe doesn't plagiarize yet, but based on woots past rulings this is plagiarism and will get rejected. It also infringes on rights so there's really no way to win.

Also on a more technical note, plagiarism is defined by the institution and committing the act depends on that definition not whether or not you get caught. If you copy and paste a term paper together it's plagiarized whether or not the teacher catches you.

paigeg

Re: Kitty Innocence

I want to hate this, particularly since cranberry is SO not my color. And I really don't know if it fits the whole spirit of kawaii (whoa, does kawaii HAVE a spirit??). But it's clever, and I like it. I do, damn me.