CVBrennan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages CVBrennan

[quote="jb2colorado"] "i wish there wasn't any text on it... just a frustrated look or the rabbit with his face in his hand or something... just my pov. great artwork nonetheless" [/quote]

Love the shirt. I agree with the comments. Good art tells a story; the story isn't written out for the reader. I really like the concept though. Keep up the good work!

CVBrennan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages CVBrennan
Re: Move Already...



Where's the edit post button and what'd I do wrong? rofls

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
CapSea wrote:Also, while I'm here. I don't really have an issue with you insulting various designers in their threads. I agree that it's an open forum and there are designers that do things that upset you. Go for it. Freedom on speech and all that.

The only problem I have is that that's pretty much all you do. If I go to entries by Walmazan, TJost, TGentry and other great designers, you are never anywhere to be found. But if I open an entry by Ramy or Seki or Spens, there you are, multiple times, always very angry.

The best way to get respect for your opinion of the designers you dislike is to show that you aren't just here to troll. More people will respect both you and your opinion (which sometimes is accurate) including the Woot staff if you said at least as many positive things about the artwork you do like, rather than simply spitting vitriol at those you don't.

Sometimes the artists deserve the negative speeches. That's fine. But if your posts are 95% negative, most people are going to start ignoring you. At the very least, equal it out. Let others know whose pieces you do like more often, and explain why. Especially in their threads, so they can enjoy the compliment as well. The more positive you are, the more the image of you as nothing but a woot troll will go away.

It's pretty clear your goal is not to simply piss people off. Your goal is to change woot with regard to it being an artist community. So while I'm not going to tell you to stop with the anger against artists you don't like, if you show more love to those that you do, you'd be much more likely to get a reaction you can appreciate.



If I could count the number of people who insist that everything I like is automatically crap, it would be a number big enough to bury you in a pile of how silly this whole argument is.

Basically, I have two things to note here: Firstly, there is the basic one... if you're not seeing me be positive enough for your liking, you're probably spending too much time in crappy threads. There is a lot of internet to cover, and when most of woot is slapdash sellout nonsense, I spend more of my positive commenting time at Threadless or at my blog. Lately I've been a bit burned out on doing this, but it does not mean it is not there.

But secondly, let's be honest here. If there is one entry, or three, or five, which simply do not deserve to win for any reason... generally off theme, generic, rip-off of other people's ideas, pure horrible (seriously, seki's I CANT HAS burger not only proves her complete unfamiliarity with anything outside of 4chan, but her complete unfamiliarity with cats) work gets the brunt of my commenting. Why? Because I don't care if tgentry or walmazan or tjost wins. Though to be fair, I'm not a huge fan of tjost.

Any given derby, there are entries I want, or entries I don't want but love the execution and idea and all-out artistry. In those cases, generally I will comment. But let's take a week like this. Most of the work this week is only good-of-type. Most of it is, by definition of theme, not wearable by adults (people will cite that they are adults and like these shirts, but really, that's questionable). So would I love to see gentry's turtle win over ramy's sameoldcrapbunnies? I'd love to see a pile of horsedung win over sameoldcrapbunnies, because it'd be more wearable to people with at least a third grade aesthetic sense. But I don't care if IT wins, per se. I'm not married to what does print. I just know what shouldn't. And an over-hot-topic'd rendition of an already trite fablefire shirt shouldn't under any circumstances, unless Gene Simmons' son was selecting the winners. Which would be totally apropos for this derby.

That is what people miss, because we are selfish. People think I should be promoting what should win too, because they think that everything is about self-interest. Fact is, I don't really care what DOES win, so long as what SHOULDN'T win is rejected or otherwise shut out of the running. If there are sides here, there are the people who believe all creative art should have a chance, and the people who believe that so long as uncreative dung is selling, no creative art should have a chance. It isn't against cute, or even against anime, though I do think it is the tofu of the art world. It is against the frauds and thieves and such that populate this derby. So long as these people and these concepts don't win, it is far less important what DOES.

If you get a tumor, you remove it. Sure, you also take vitamins, and exercise, and maybe take a vacation for some fresh air, and probably eat healthier, and maybe take up meditation. That's fine. Those are all healthy things to help your body recover and be the best body it can be. But no matter how much you build up the best, you still die if you don't focus primarily on removing the tumor.

masoncoram


quality posts: 0 Private Messages masoncoram

it's starting to look like a triple rainbow!

lucky1988


quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
Spiritgreen wrote:I don't know, there's a lot of luck involved in getting noticed in the derby but I think this could have really stood out earlier on. Ah poop. I want one.

Hey lucky, do you have your own store of shirt designs? Week after week you submit awesome stuff...

I have a selfish request: could you and walmazan, bassanimation, BootsBoots, jasneko, DianaSprinkle and thatrobert start your own shirt site? It needs to be called LuckySevenTees and every day of the week you take turns to put up a new shirt. ^__^

Best. Site. Ever.



Thanks for the kind words Spiritgreen. I've always wondered if shirtwoot would ever consider having a section on the website for individual artists to archive and showcase their past derby designs. It's a shame that many stellar designs from all the artists you mentioned (including yourself) plus countless others fall into oblivion just because it didn't place or HM. Maybe with Amazon in the picture now, "new" things could happen.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Kassiandora wrote:Just seems too predictable. I think I agree it would have been more powerful without the text.



This is the thing.

This is not remotely unique. Fable's wasn't unique, and this is the same style, same basic concept. OOH KILLER RABBIT.

I think people are getting hung up on Monty Python when really, anyone who has ever woken up and said "damn, it's nice to have eyes" has seen this shirt before. Think back to that nice facepainted juggalo girl who pouted as she gave you thirty cents back at the local qwikmart (and maybe beamed when you bought a faygo). She was wearing this same shirt. Remember when you stumbled into hot topic because you thought it was the entrance to forever21 by mistake? This shirt was on the walls. Remember last year when you went to shirt.woot? Yep, this was definitely for sale. It's a poorly conceived slogan shirt for the alienated post-goth overpriviledged glittervamp fan. It's happy bunny with bones. It's Emily the Strange with ears. It's fablefire with a human skull instead of what is presumably a bunny's (though when you get this deformed in your "art" really where does the line stop?)... It's all just one more "I don't fit in, look at my shirt, it's so creepy and cute JUST LIKE ME please call me Bella Namaste because Susan just doesn't speak to my dark miasma of a soul."

But it's also poorly executed. Look at that text. Defend that text. I dare you to do so and look educated. It's uncreatively executed. There are hundreds of entries here that are on theme and don't use this same exact formula going on in every single win from these two. As for the concept itself? Sure, you can trace it back to Monty Python, but there are plenty of Threadless shirts with innocent looking critters which are deadly, there are plenty of hot topic shirts with a cute-but-slightly-deranged character giving this same message, and there has been a woot shirt SPECIFICALLY about cannibal/killer rabbits. Saying this is nothing like those should forfeit your right to vote here. Because it's clear you are just clicking buttons randomly and not looking at the items.

juicki


quality posts: 0 Private Messages juicki
Re: Harmless



Imitation is the greatest form of flattery! Keep up the good work sir.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
mitchellp wrote:There's no way I'd wear a shirt with a pic of the herpes virus with the slogan beneath saying "I'm Contagious." There's just no way



Which is why it represents the theme so perfectly.

Though honestly, this is a kawaii derby. It's impossible anything kawaii could have caught an STD. this is about cold sores or chickenpox.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
juicki wrote:Imitation is the greatest form of flattery! Keep up the good work sir.



The good work of imitating, or the good work of flattering?

Mancho


quality posts: 4 Private Messages Mancho
Spiritgreen wrote:Ramy you take a lot of flak for your designs so I'm sure you've developed a thick skin, but it must be a little bit satisfying to see other people flat out trying to copy your style this week and finding it's -not- so easy to do.



Actually, judging by the sheer number of entries of similar quality to this, it seems that the style is incredibly easy to do...

Mancho


quality posts: 4 Private Messages Mancho
AdderXYU wrote:This is the thing.

This is not remotely unique. Fable's wasn't unique, and this is the same style, same basic concept. OOH KILLER RABBIT.

I think people are getting hung up on Monty Python when really, anyone who has ever woken up and said "damn, it's nice to have eyes" has seen this shirt before. Think back to that nice facepainted juggalo girl who pouted as she gave you thirty cents back at the local qwikmart (and maybe beamed when you bought a faygo). She was wearing this same shirt. Remember when you stumbled into hot topic because you thought it was the entrance to forever21 by mistake? This shirt was on the walls. Remember last year when you went to shirt.woot? Yep, this was definitely for sale. It's a poorly conceived slogan shirt for the alienated post-goth overpriviledged glittervamp fan. It's happy bunny with bones. It's Emily the Strange with ears. It's fablefire with a human skull instead of what is presumably a bunny's (though when you get this deformed in your "art" really where does the line stop?)... It's all just one more "I don't fit in, look at my shirt, it's so creepy and cute JUST LIKE ME please call me Bella Namaste because Susan just doesn't speak to my dark miasma of a soul."

But it's also poorly executed. Look at that text. Defend that text. I dare you to do so and look educated. It's uncreatively executed. There are hundreds of entries here that are on theme and don't use this same exact formula going on in every single win from these two. As for the concept itself? Sure, you can trace it back to Monty Python, but there are plenty of Threadless shirts with innocent looking critters which are deadly, there are plenty of hot topic shirts with a cute-but-slightly-deranged character giving this same message, and there has been a woot shirt SPECIFICALLY about cannibal/killer rabbits. Saying this is nothing like those should forfeit your right to vote here. Because it's clear you are just clicking buttons randomly and not looking at the items.



Uh... this...

emmo79


quality posts: 0 Private Messages emmo79

Giraffes are favorite! This would be my first woot purchase and a fabulous one. Come on all you eligible voters, help a new customer out : )

Link3220


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Link3220
jmmbell1987 wrote:They've made an art form out of phoning it in. It's how they roll. For once, the theme is right in their wheelhouse, and they can exert even less effort than they usually do. I expected nothing less than what they're peddling this derby.



Or nothing more, either.

CapSea


quality posts: 54 Private Messages CapSea
AdderXYU wrote:
That is what people miss, because we are selfish. People think I should be promoting what should win too, because they think that everything is about self-interest. Fact is, I don't really care what DOES win, so long as what SHOULDN'T win is rejected or otherwise shut out of the running. If there are sides here, there are the people who believe all creative art should have a chance, and the people who believe that so long as uncreative dung is selling, no creative art should have a chance. It isn't against cute, or even against anime, though I do think it is the tofu of the art world. It is against the frauds and thieves and such that populate this derby. So long as these people and these concepts don't win, it is far less important what DOES.



It's not that I don't understand this argument. I just disagree with it. Perception is too powerful a tool, and if everyone perceives you to be nothing but a troll on these boards, your message is lost in the perception. And as we can see from this derby, it may even have the opposite effect.

JesseBYAH


quality posts: 5 Private Messages JesseBYAH
Re: Upset Bird



Why is the angry one the cutest?!? Is it just me!? Lol, this is great. Love it

ressamac


quality posts: 4 Private Messages ressamac
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=43909]Silly Pengie



This is very cute. GMV! I use Google Chrome and kept getting a warning about going to this page. I hope that hasn 't hurt the voting.

Brad3326


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Brad3326
Re: Orbital Model of the Carbon Atom



More importantly than the Proton/Neutron size... the electrons seem to be orbiting the nucleus, which isn't what happens. Energy levels and orbitals would be ideal.

Nice to see a shirt that isn't a stupid animal though.

JesseBYAH


quality posts: 5 Private Messages JesseBYAH
Re: 宇宙 / Uchuuneko / Spacecat!



Awww this one is really cute =) A+ for effort, even tho it's similar to seki's. It happens! Don't fret.

JesseBYAH


quality posts: 5 Private Messages JesseBYAH
Re: Love me!



I wish this had more votes. I get a giggle out of it everytime :P

PixelPants


quality posts: 69 Private Messages PixelPants
Re: Face Value (Resub)



tjost wrote:This is really a great concept, and the snake being a flower is hilarious



Glad you like it so much. Not sure if anyone picked up on this as it has not been commented on, but the snake (Adder) has the letters XYU on it's scales. When I read the derby outline and a certain Mr. XYU was singled out I thought it was worth giving him his dues.
Check the detail here:

Detail - Face Value (Resub)

zachmedia wrote:I agreez with person above...best shirt in the derby.



bfr004 wrote:Yay! A shirt I can vote for where I don't feel dirty!



Thanks for the positive feedback. I really appreciate the encouragement.

kateface2


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kateface2
Re: Double Rainbow!!



Please, please, PLEASE ReSub this over and over and over until it is made I promise to buy one, and I can think of quite a few others who would as well!

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
CapSea wrote:It's not that I don't understand this argument. I just disagree with it. Perception is too powerful a tool, and if everyone perceives you to be nothing but a troll on these boards, your message is lost in the perception. And as we can see from this derby, it may even have the opposite effect.



The problem is, even if people perceive me to not be a troll, they are still perceiving horrible, generic, often stolen shirt concepts to be voteable and buyable. I could buy them all a puppy, but so long as I voice my opinion, nothing changes. Of course, if I don't voice my opinion, nothing changes either. See how that works?

Trolls will always see forward thinkers as the real trolls. People who want things to be one narrow-minded view that is harmful to all the other views out there will ALWAYS play victim. There are people who are angry at the president for enforcing fines on BP, recall. The same people who were pissed at him for "not doing anything" about the spill. Ignorance does not go away no matter what you do. So I choose to do what works.

bassanimation


quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
lucky1988 wrote:Thanks for the kind words Spiritgreen. I've always wondered if shirtwoot would ever consider having a section on the website for individual artists to archive and showcase their past derby designs. It's a shame that many stellar designs from all the artists you mentioned (including yourself) plus countless others fall into oblivion just because it didn't place or HM. Maybe with Amazon in the picture now, "new" things could happen.



We talk about different things Woot could do to be more friendly to the artists all time at my house. Cause we're dorks...and we spend way too much time thinking about Woot, hahaha. This is one thing we've thought would be cool as well.

I know of one tee site that actually has a small list of the participating artists on the left hand of the screen. This way you can search down the alphabetized list for people you recognize. When you click, you then get to see all designs by them on the site. That would rock here!

JesseBYAH


quality posts: 5 Private Messages JesseBYAH
Re: Let's Creative!



I'm also looking for your unicorns! This is really cute tho

blustar


quality posts: 0 Private Messages blustar
Re: Skyline



GMV

Awesome!

PixelPants


quality posts: 69 Private Messages PixelPants
Re: Happy Bunny Samurai v2



They should use this in an advertising campaign to encourage people to eat more veggies. I like both versions, but you are right, this one suits the theme a little better.

sunnysfunny


quality posts: 1 Private Messages sunnysfunny
Hammylink wrote:Parakeets are seed eating birds. This is also not very cute.



Aww. That looks my first parakeet. Mine ate everything (popcorn, noodles, lettuce, etc).

Doubt she would've ate a worm but she didn't limit herself to just seeds.

tlwwoot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tlwwoot

i love it. i hope it wins will buy one for sure.

jomichar


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jomichar
DianaSprinkle wrote:I love that Sherwin-Williams logo cause it already looked like they were pouring blood on the earth.

Sadly I've already seen a shirt with the same joke. =[



Thanks Diana. Yeah, I actually didn't even think of the SW logo similarity until I was almost done. It must have been buried in my subconscious somewhere! ;)

marinacookie


quality posts: 0 Private Messages marinacookie
Re: cup kat



you got the thumbnail messed up ;( i did the same thing on my first one

dwayri


quality posts: 6 Private Messages dwayri
Re: Ensign Ricky Goes Away... (Final)


I would think "Star Trek" if I saw it, but I would also think "The Wiggles". But then, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. GMV. Good luck!

MisterOBLIVIOUS


quality posts: 0 Private Messages MisterOBLIVIOUS

Whoa I remember that logo too. Angry earth is pretty fly here.

bubsters


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bubsters
Re: Ice Cream Shower



This is really adorable. I especially like the one sitting down nomming on ice cream.

bubsters


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bubsters
Re: Blowded Up



hehe, like how he burned the tip of his horns.

pure5152


quality posts: 0 Private Messages pure5152
Brad3326 wrote:More importantly than the Proton/Neutron size... the electrons seem to be orbiting the nucleus, which isn't what happens. Energy levels and orbitals would be ideal.

Nice to see a shirt that isn't a stupid animal though.



if you can't see the orbitals and energy levels, you must be blind.

bubsters


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bubsters
Re: A New Angle for Angler



Awesome light effect! It really looks like it's glowing in the dark.

Jedigreedo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jedigreedo
Re: 宇宙 / Uchuuneko / Spacecat!



I'm glad you submitted this despite seki's, it's some very nice work and really cute.

ladyveronica


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ladyveronica

Thank you Sir William!

william.r.metz wrote:Fantastic line work



Jedigreedo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jedigreedo
Re: Move Already...



Very funny design! I wish it was your death shirt that was in the fog instead, but I think I'd buy this one too. :D

raziel0101


quality posts: 0 Private Messages raziel0101
Re: Viral Kawaii



take out the herpes and replace it with something else and this shirt is perfect! no one wants to be associated with herpes, even on their shirt.