BootsBoots

quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
elviswind wrote:That was a good one . . . . :D

!

indihar

quality posts: 7 Private Messages indihar
Re: Error - Cuteness Overflow

bassanimation

Oh no no. I like the veggies too! I'm just really stunned, as I never thought this would -not- be at least in the top 3 or 4.

Kawaii derby is tough derby. Too many print-worthy things...not enough print ready tees. That makes little sense. =_=

If there are so many "print-worthy" shirts, how come this is the only one I would've bought?

And I know it's not just me. We have a coffee shop in the building where I work. I (for better or worse!) got the guy who works there "addicted" to woot!shirts. (Now mind you, there's only a slight difference in ages, between us. Like, maybe...20-30 years...) Even he's been complaining lately (when I ask him) that "There hasn't been anything good on shirt.woot! lately..."

bellarific

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bellarific
Re: Ice Cream Shower

Well this is freaking adorable.

My only complaint would be with the clouds, which seem to be copies of the same cloud. I think having different shapes and sizes would look a lot stronger.

Seriously, though. Your characters are expressive and great. :]

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: Even the Grass Has a Face

lol. This is great!:D Love the way you did the unicorns.

marzipanapple

quality posts: 7 Private Messages marzipanapple

Wow, I didn't expect to see 44 votes when I logged back in this morning?

Thanks guys! I appreciate all of your support!

DivineAna wrote:
I think I need to hop into my time machine and move to an era where vomiting rainbows isn't a shirt cliche.

The thing is, I agree with you on the rainbow vomit! However, I decided it was much better to commit a cliché than draw actual vomit with chunks. ;D

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 210 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: Ulterior Motives

Sorry, TeeFury sold a shirt like this a while back.

jasneko

Re: Hot! v.3

Hey, this is cute and wearable. So easy to miss entries this derby. Nice job!

jasneko

Re: Sugar

haha, this is another great one! And all those frozen sugary treats (other than the worried melting pop) look so happy and delicious!:D

MaliceKaiser

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MaliceKaiser
raevynpheather wrote:$#*% you woot. I am done buying shirts from you. You take the best shirt that has been on the site in six months and reject it. I have bought 35 shirts from this site, but no more. You continue to let scum like Mrwednesday and Adder spread hate for things that the general public wants. Your sales of derby shirts has gone down (despite a sharp increase in traffic to the site). You reject many shirts for invalid reasons. You should probably just change your weekly rules to "no Ramyb" because it is obvious that that is what you are doing. Now you reject this shirt. My wife is going to actually cry when she sees that you have rejected this shirt, because it was her favorite design since Listen to your Conscience http://shirt.woot.com/blog/viewentry.aspx?id=8901 almost a year ago.

You're kidding, right? The designer that has two shirts in the fog plus one in the reckoning? And that's not even including sekiyoku's designs, his "dream team" partner, who together win almost every single derby they enter into (sometimes multiple times a week)?

I do hope your post was sarcastic or else I fear for man kind.

indihar

quality posts: 7 Private Messages indihar
Re: Baby Elton

I don't know. I just saw it, and that's what I immediately thought of. (Of course, I also happen to really LIKE that particular video of his! )

I suppose I could suggest changing the shape of the glasses (maybe star-shaped?) Other than that...there's something about the color combo. If you can do that with a template, I'd suggest "playing" around and trying different color combos (glasses, back/shirt color, etc.) I guess it's the "red" and the "flesh" colors, that "clash" to my eyes. (Seem to be a bit too harsh, together). Or maybe they just don't seem to go quite "right" with the "powder blue" background. (Or maybe it's the zebra-striped star...that's pretty jarring! )

Other than that, I think it's just a case of "You like it, or you don't..."

Sorry...

marzipanapple

Re: Eat more meat

I know exactly whose style you're emulating and I have to say knowing that...I am not surprised that this is in the fog.

Regardless of how I feel about her (or her fans) though, you've done a good job on her style.

bellarific

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bellarific
paigeg wrote:^This.
C'mon, people - this IS the Seki/Ramyb realm. Stop kvetching and let it be. Man, critiquing the font choice (or typeface) is just stretching.
Just let be. It's not like anyone thought the kawaii champs would forego this derby, right?

I know I'm, like, three days late in this, but it kind of struck a nerve with me.

I don't see how critiquing a typeface choice for a shirt design is stretching at all. And I don't see how it's pretentious, either. Woot allowed text for this derby, and as such all text used throughout the derby should (rightfully so) be considered an integral part of each design that utilizes it.

Seki and Ramy are both well-practiced illustrators and won't be crushed if they get called out for being lazy about typefaces. I asked Ramy why he did what he did with the copy on his "Come Closer" shirt, and he considered my question justifiable enough to give me an answer. Seki, however, has yet to explain why she manually Condensed that Cooper Black. Not to my knowledge, at least.

I don't mean to sound so annoyed with this debate, but I'm an avid typographer and I hate when people fail to see the importance of not abusing it.

marzipanapple

Re: Saccharinefice

Honestly, this is so cute that for a while I couldn't tell something horrifying was going on.

Kudos!

nigeltippapanda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nigeltippapanda
Siax wrote:I like this design......but why didn't you use the shirt template provided by woot?

still got a +1 from me

Thank you,yah I couldn't find the woot tee so I just made my own

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
Re: Shootin' Stars

I ain't even a Texan and I am as mad as a wet hen that this ain't in the fog! Where's ma rifle?

HoustonRH7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HoustonRH7

I'm extremely sad that this shirt was rejected. While the other shirt is similar in design, I feel like (in large part due to the text) they send completely different messages.

I absolutely love this shirt. Here's to hoping I see it pop up somewhere else.

flamespear

quality posts: 4 Private Messages flamespear
Re: Caution: Laboratory Animals

yess this is getting close

Annabananaka7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Annabananaka7
Re: Harmony

I reallllly like this! Please resubmit this in a derby where it can win! I think you have a really good shot! Love it!

JesseBYAH

quality posts: 5 Private Messages JesseBYAH
marzipanapple wrote:Wow, I didn't expect to see 44 votes when I logged back in this morning?

Thanks guys! I appreciate all of your support!

The thing is, I agree with you on the rainbow vomit! However, I decided it was much better to commit a cliché than draw actual vomit with chunks. ;D

Good call! This is awesome =) Glad you got it done!

tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
marzipanapple wrote:I know exactly whose style you're emulating and I have to say knowing that...I am not surprised that this is in the fog.

Regardless of how I feel about her (or her fans) though, you've done a good job on her style.

Yeah the style isn't exactly rocket science The problem with this derby is almost all the entries in this derby are in someone's style because that's the way kawaii works it all uses similar cute elements (beady or glossy eyes, lots of circular shapes etc.), which is why I'm not a fan of a lot of manga and Japanese cartoon styles. The thing is, the person your referencing didn't exactly make up her style either, she's just capitalized on it.

I tried to do 3 different styles with my entries this derby and this is the one that happened to do well. Kinda funny, I have one in the fog, two in the middle of the stack, and two on the bottom :s

apeman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages apeman
Re: I just want a hug.

I got my motivation from the first shirt i bought on woot I hope you find it funny like I do!

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
indihar wrote:If there are so many "print-worthy" shirts, how come this is the only one I would've bought?

I was speaking about designs as a whole, not just this derby. There are always plenty of shirts by fantastic artists that don't win/print.

tackyanne

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tackyanne
Re: Bottles of bear!

This is so adorable! I love the design. Good job!

vwspeedracer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vwspeedracer

Really, honestly, you can.

bassanimation

tjost wrote:that's the way kawaii works it all uses similar cute elements (beady or glossy eyes, lots of circular shapes etc.), which is why I'm not a fan of a lot of manga and Japanese cartoon styles.

It's always mildly disappointing that people think all Japanese art looks the same. Problem is, most people (fans at least) tend to gravitate towards the same 'style' of Japanese art. It becomes a bit cliche and overdone, I will agree there. But, it is this type of 'generic' anime style that most people prefer. Even 'kawaii' comes in many, many flavors (as Diana S. showed in the pre-derby thread). Not all of it has to be button-eyed and iconic, but it tends to be popular for many reasons.

If one is creative and digs deep enough into the artistic oceans of Japan, you can actually find some great stuff that doesn't look as cookie-cutter as general 'kawaii'.

PJTalls7129

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PJTalls7129
Re: the BiG KAWAII BANG

this shirt is pretty sweet. wish it was higher up in the derby

bassanimation

mjc613 wrote:I ain't even a Texan and I am as mad as a wet hen that this ain't in the fog! Where's ma rifle?

Aww thanks. Perhaps there will be another chance for Billy and his fallen buddies another time.

Dang it, I knew I shoulda did bunnehs. -kicks at the dirt-

Siax

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Siax
jasneko wrote:Hey, this is cute and wearable. So easy to miss entries this derby. Nice job!

thank you!

tjost

bassanimation wrote:It's always mildly disappointing that people think all Japanese art looks the same. Problem is, most people (fans at least) tend to gravitate towards the same 'style' of Japanese art. It becomes a bit cliche and overdone, I will agree there. But, it is this type of 'generic' anime style that most people prefer. Even 'kawaii' comes in many, many flavors (as Diana S. showed in the pre-derby thread). Not all of it has to be button-eyed and iconic, but it tends to be popular for many reasons.

If one is creative and digs deep enough into the artistic oceans of Japan, you can actually find some great stuff that doesn't look as cookie-cutter as general 'kawaii'.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Nippon hater, I do like Anime and Kawaii stuff and while there's lots of similar styles some people are far and away better. Just go to a site like Deviant and you can see some incredible manga art that has so much detail and skill it's ridonkulous.

The problem is like you said the stuff that seems to be liked the most is all VERY similar, that's one of the reasons the market for anime and manga has taken such a hit and those companies are starting to close down or face serious sales declines across the board. It's kinda the same problem that Japanese RPG's have been in decline, just rehashing again, and again. The only ones that still do well it seems are the ones that are remakes of classic series that people are emotional attached to from their youth.

Japan has other styles then anime too, I love ancient Japanese art and woodcuts for instance

ameliaaaak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ameliaaaak

Okay, I'm kinda new at this.
How do you vote?

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

ameliaaaak wrote:Okay, I'm kinda new at this.
How do you vote?

You buy something from any woot site.

tattooedbear

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tattooedbear
mirthlesssmile wrote:If I saw anyone wearing this, I'd punch them - girlfriend deathly afraid of spiders. Even screamed when she saw the thumbnail.

stop stop stop!

Screaming Girlfriends. That's a bad thing?
Fun shirt shirt shirt!

karythe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages karythe
marmelmm wrote:HI HI HI! ;D

It reminded me of the Winslow too! It's that same dopey sharp-toothed grin...

You've got my vote, Winslow-shark!

karythe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages karythe
mirthlesssmile wrote:If I saw anyone wearing this, I'd punch them - girlfriend deathly afraid of spiders. Even screamed when she saw the thumbnail.

stop stop stop!

If she's screaming even at a PICTURE of a spider, she might want to get arachnophobia therapy... They do offer systematic desensitization for phobias like that. Although your drive to protect your girlfriend is admirable, maybe punching the problem isn't the answer. You won't always be around to make the spiders go away. I'm not being facetious; I do want you to know that there are viable options for arachnophobia that people generally don't know about.

I do know what you mean though. I probably wouldn't be able to wear this shirt around my boyfriend. Although he isn't quite phobia-level, he doesn't really like bugs in general. It's a good thing I gave up on my plan to be an entomologist!

elviswind

quality posts: 1 Private Messages elviswind

This is great!

ibrahimkahlil

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ibrahimkahlil
Re: Ulterior Motives

crap your right. it just happened naturally tho. i was making a "kawaii" obama and all of a sudden he was the perfect zombie.

stardamsel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages stardamsel
Re: Sugar

@kareokediva3: lol, thanks! I'm a sugar addict, too ;-)

@jasneko: thank you -- "happy and delicious" pretty much sums up what I was going for!

tjost

Re: Even the Grass Has a Face

haha that's alot of rainbow puke

g00mbaypunch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages g00mbaypunch

Ya I see what you mean, the colors kinda didnt sit right with me either. Thanks for the advice man, next week'll be better. :-P