D1C0M

quality posts: 0 Private Messages D1C0M
Re: honeyyy!!

Voted!

My design was the barfing bee linked to earlier, but I gotta say, the more I look at this one, the more I'm loving it. I was going to redo and clean up my design, then resub it somewhere else. But after seeing this one, I think I'll just let things bee. Great job on the simple but very effective execution.

-Cheers!

norelconinja

quality posts: 0 Private Messages norelconinja
Re: Viral Kawaii

I logged in for the first time in months just to vote for this shirt!

karythe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages karythe
truffleshuffle wrote:That's what i thought of too! My favorite one is the flesh-eating bacteria because it has a knife and fork sewn on the front, haha. How cute but morbid. Pretty much my favorite combination and also what makes this shirt totally awesome!

I thought of the same thing! I have to say my favorite is the mad cow virus, though, because it's black-and-white-cow-spots-patterned. And the sperm cell with its little blue bowtie. They even sell plush microbes in my university's bookstore now!

The bookworm ones make great gifts for... well, bookworms.

And I think some of the proceeds from buying the HIV one go to AIDS prevention/research.

Great plushies, great shirt! If it doesn't win the derby you ought to send it along to Thinkgeek next time they have a t-shirt competition, see if they'll sell it alongside the plushies!

MaryESP

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MaryESP
Re: Even the Grass Has a Face

For some reason all that symmetry makes it even more Kawaii.

Good job!

karythe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages karythe

I'd like to see a live kiwi too. I've seen some people from New Zealand, who are generally referred to as kiwis, but I don't think that counts!

Adorable shirt, adorable concept. My only possible complaint could be that the design is a little bit big on the shirt; it might not work well for a tighter women's shirt.

Please DO keep entering. I'd love to see more of your stuff!

truffleshuffle

quality posts: 4 Private Messages truffleshuffle
Re: Double Rainbow!!

Hahaha, "What does this mean?" Funny funny;)

truffleshuffle

Re: Pie Pooter Try 2

Oh wow! I didn't expect so much from the thumbnail, but the full image is awesome! Nice illustration

bobdaduck

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobdaduck
apeman wrote:I got my motivation from the first shirt i bought on woot I hope you find it funny like I do!

Shirts aren't supposed to be like existing woot shirts, so this will probably get rejected. Sorry.

truffleshuffle

Re: Guitar Solo

For some reason my first inclination was to imagination this guitar's voice sounding like Tom Waits. Maybe it doesn't but i'm at least quite sure he's singing the blues, haha. Very well done! +1

truffleshuffle

Re: Too cute to give up

I really enjoy ideas like this one and BootsBoots' design this week that take really terrible things and make them irresistibly cute. They really tickle my fancy as they say:P

endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega
karythe wrote:If she's screaming even at a PICTURE of a spider, she might want to get arachnophobia therapy... They do offer systematic desensitization for phobias like that. Although your drive to protect your girlfriend is admirable, maybe punching the problem isn't the answer. You won't always be around to make the spiders go away. I'm not being facetious; I do want you to know that there are viable options for arachnophobia that people generally don't know about.

I do know what you mean though. I probably wouldn't be able to wear this shirt around my boyfriend. Although he isn't quite phobia-level, he doesn't really like bugs in general. It's a good thing I gave up on my plan to be an entomologist!

As someone who is pretty severely arachnophobic myself -- can't even look at them in books or on telly -- I've got to say, if someone tried to "systematically desensitize" me, then my solution would most certainly involve punching. And kicking. (Right after the shaking & hyperventilating ...)

ThatPoshGirl

quality posts: 32 Private Messages ThatPoshGirl

I voted, but I have to say, I think it would be a stronger design if the puke was less busy. There are so many color bands right now that it overpowers the face.

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
bellarific wrote:I know I'm, like, three days late in this, but it kind of struck a nerve with me.

I don't see how critiquing a typeface choice for a shirt design is stretching at all. And I don't see how it's pretentious, either. Woot allowed text for this derby, and as such all text used throughout the derby should (rightfully so) be considered an integral part of each design that utilizes it.

I'm the one who made the "pretentious" comment. I mostly meant it as a joke, but it really does bother me when people complain about type choices and call them "fonts". Maybe it's just a thing that was beat into my head in school, but if you're going to trash talk somebody's design choices at least call things by the right names.

For me, the typeface isn't nearly as bad as the wonky layout. The type really does just look "slapped on" and there is no unity at all in the overall design. I'm not a fan of this design at all.

sogj

quality posts: 15 Private Messages sogj
apeman wrote:I got my motivation from the first shirt i bought on woot I hope you find it funny like I do!

This is gonna be rejected, sorry...similar shirts exist. :/

I refuse to answer on the grounds that I don't know the answer.

sogj

quality posts: 15 Private Messages sogj

I love the idea!! I think I would have liked it better if the vomit was one color and was grinning giddily instead of being upset. either way, clever. ;)

I refuse to answer on the grounds that I don't know the answer.

walmazan

quality posts: 65 Private Messages walmazan
Re: Fresh cake!

Thanks guys for all the love to my little cupcake friend! really thanks all of you!

walmazan

quality posts: 65 Private Messages walmazan
turtlepower wrote:Walmazan, I'd like verification that this is indeed a dinosaur and not Godzilla.

Dino<3

Ha, in my mind was a Godzilla

chocodile

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chocodile

Hey uhh
;u; I'd love to vote for this one but I'm a newbie and I don't...know how dfkald;

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

chocodile wrote:Hey uhh
;u; I'd love to vote for this one but I'm a newbie and I don't...know how dfkald;

In order to be able to vote, you must first buy something from any woot site.

marzipanapple

quality posts: 7 Private Messages marzipanapple
bassanimation wrote:
If one is creative and digs deep enough into the artistic oceans of Japan, you can actually find some great stuff that doesn't look as cookie-cutter as general 'kawaii'.

This. Most definitely true.
Unfortunately, there's a domino effect on places (such as DA) where a particular japanese-inspired style will become popular and others start emulating it in droves. I can pick out at least three people who have had a big influence on the 'kawaii' cartooning crowd at DA. And then hundreds who copy them. But then it's always excellent when you get someone who uses a style very well.

Geethatsgr8

quality posts: 30 Private Messages Geethatsgr8

This is GREAT! I really hope it gets in. But rarely ever do the shirts I really want actually win. Here's hoping!

bmelnyk0

quality posts: 41 Private Messages bmelnyk0
Re: I just want a hug.

Yeh im with teh other people, this will get rejected, sorry bud

Stargaziey

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Stargaziey
bubsters wrote:Awesome light effect! It really looks like it's glowing in the dark.

Thanks, bubsters. I thought that, too, so I was hoping others would notice. :D

2borX2b wrote:My son did a project on Angler fish a few years ago; he'll be taking Oceans for his 2nd science credit this year. Also know a little guy who's afraid of the dark ... +2 if it prints!

Oh, an Oceans class sounds fun! :O I never got to take any science class that cool. And this little Angler definitely speaks to that little part in all of us who's afraid of the dark.

jbb04

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbb04
Re: Ulterior Motives

Does woot allow political shirts?

nrarmen

quality posts: 6 Private Messages nrarmen

Lol! I appreciate the tribute very much. Sadly, your shirt and my shirt can't coexist on the same site Keep trying to make shirts though!

noodlerice

quality posts: 0 Private Messages noodlerice

ibrahimkahlil

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ibrahimkahlil
jbb04 wrote:Does woot allow political shirts?

its not political its just funny

nevetnod

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nevetnod
Re: Its New Mattress Day

Ha! I wish today was New Mattress Day. Unfortunately for me, today is Lumpy Old Mattress With A Big Ol' Indentation On The Left Side Day. Well, I think I'll go buy some confetti anyway, just in case.

I like celery.

apeman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages apeman

darnski this doesn't look promising. I think i need to go for a more subtle spoof lol.

arader24

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arader24
tgentry wrote:I feel ostupid for leaving off the O. I think I'm going to update it and that'll definitely be one of the fixes. I'm probably going to have him holding a 'To Do' list with various animals crossed off and the opossum up next. Then I'll have a simple question mark above his head as he's looking at the "dead" opossum, like "did I already do this one?!?". There'd still be some reading, but it would be mostly integrated with the design.

Most people do call it a "possum" I never say the full name. It's the common name for it, even if it's not 'correct'. I wikied it and that's what it said it.

nrarmen

quality posts: 6 Private Messages nrarmen
apeman wrote:darnski this doesn't look promising. I think i need to go for a more subtle spoof lol.

Go for the same concept of one thing chasing another, just don't use the same two characters as I did and you should be able to avoid rejection.

Mouse & Elephant?

ThatPoshGirl

quality posts: 32 Private Messages ThatPoshGirl
arader24 wrote:Most people do call it a "possum" I never say the full name.

The O is silent, so saying "possum" is fine, but it is still a misspelling. Just because it is common doesn't make it right. People commonly confuse their, there, and they're, that doesn't mean we should just accept any in each other's place.

noodlerice

'allo...
First design, so comments would be great.
Votes are greatly appreciated.
^_^0

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
marzipanapple wrote:This. Most definitely true.
Unfortunately, there's a domino effect on places (such as DA) where a particular japanese-inspired style will become popular and others start emulating it in droves. I can pick out at least three people who have had a big influence on the 'kawaii' cartooning crowd at DA. And then hundreds who copy them. But then it's always excellent when you get someone who uses a style very well.

Poor DA, it gets such a heavy rap. Not that it's not entirely undeserved...

I have a lot of books containing art from various Japanese artists. My friends actually went to Komiket a couple of years ago. It is astounding the sheer volume and variety of art there is in Japan, as well as everywhere.

I think what makes the button-eyed style so popular is that it is very vanilla. By vanilla, I mean it's not extreme or harsh in any way. If something is too wonky, or looks too strange to people, they won't go for it. For example, many more people like Disney than, say, Jhonen Vasquez (Invader Zim). Disney is pleasing and calm and pretty, but Zim is like, "Holy Tacos! Why does that child have an arm on his face?? I'm skeered!". I've also seen this at cons that I've recently attended. If you don't offer people something very "safe", they will go, "Why does that look that way?" That is their way of saying, "Eww, I don't really like this."

Another very recent example is my own entry this week. When I showed my friend, she suggested the faces might be too much. She said I should par them down, they looked a bit "too painful". But, being that I like really funny, cracked art, I wanted to leave them that way ^^. If you read the comments, some people are turned off by the look. Other artists seem to like it, as they see it as a departure from the usual, but the general person is a little 'icked' out by it, haha. This is totally ok with me, but it's a good example of why less extreme can be better.

I've seen this trend towards "safe" for a while in the art circles I frequent, including here at Woot. It's hard to strike a balance between good style and character, and making something people aren't afraid to wear. :\ And, kawaii is almost always safe as far as that goes. ^^;

I am rambling...it's Tired O'Clock...

yakub89

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yakub89
Re: Hoooo you callin' cute?

Yeah... this shirt is preeetty cool... but that shirt with the gum and stuff... now that's a good shirt.

Siax

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Siax
bubsters wrote:Thank you for all the comments and votes! This is my first derby, so this means a lot.

for your first derby your doing extremely well good job!

cabinboy100

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cabinboy100
Re: Fresh cake!

I would've sworn she was chocolate under there!

yakub89

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yakub89
Re: Kitty Boat Afloat

I would wear it . If I could vote, you'd get it.

noodlerice

tho a sad event...
this shirt makes pretty good light of it.
the earth's expression is priceless.
^_^

noodlerice

cute idea with making the sushi into more than just delectable little wraps.