sogj

quality posts: 15 Private Messages sogj
PixelPants wrote:Just go to Submit a Daily Entry and you will find them there.

Wow! I've never seen that link, thanks so much!

I refuse to answer on the grounds that I don't know the answer.

Draug

quality posts: 69 Private Messages Draug
clarinerd wrote:I believe it's referring III being the largest Roman Numeral to use as many lines as the number represents. Or at least that's what I thought when I read it.

tico0001 wrote:I think it's referring to 3 in roman numerals and maybe other languages too...

~Tico

Update: Darn! clarinerd beat me to it!

Oooooooh...I get it now. Sorry, Roman numerals are not my forte. ^_^;

Thank you both!

The enemy's gate is down.
Writers are people too! (Albeit strange ones.)
Save Poe! Reckon Nevermore! Or he'll be head-locked forevermore!

Leahbh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh
Spiritgreen wrote:Well anyway, I found some time so here's what I've been working on. :

(Trilobites, meaning "three lobes". Sadly extinct... too tasty to live.) Too random? ^_^

I'm still working on their cookie-ness. The text isn't part of the shirt, of course. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions I'd be glad to hear them.

I love this!

GreatClips

quality posts: 3 Private Messages GreatClips
odysseyroc wrote:Done with the coloring. I just need to make halftones and this one is good to go.

Do you use feathering/blur on those lighter clouds to get that effect on them? If so, I always figured that wouldn't be allowed for staying within the 6 color limit, but if it isn't a problem, I'd be keen to try that out in my own stuff.

Vote at Goodjoe

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

2nd design...I *think* I like the way this one is, but I'll still consider suggestions if anyone has ideas for improvements. Thanks!

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
GreatClips wrote:Do you use feathering/blur on those lighter clouds to get that effect on them? If so, I always figured that wouldn't be allowed for staying within the 6 color limit, but if it isn't a problem, I'd be keen to try that out in my own stuff.

Halftones. If you glance through the derby threads, you'll see closeups that show the use of small dots solid colors to create that effect without violating the 6-color rule.'

But beware--halftones CAN be over used, and end up looking bad.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

missmissa07

quality posts: 12 Private Messages missmissa07
jasneko wrote:2nd design...I *think* I like the way this one is, but I'll still consider suggestions if anyone has ideas for improvements. Thanks!

The beautiful simplicity of your designs always amazes me, Jasneko! I love this design! And, I'm a sucker for anything on green.

GreatClips

Mavyn wrote:Halftones. If you glance through the derby threads, you'll see closeups that show the use of small dots solid colors to create that effect without violating the 6-color rule.'

But beware--halftones CAN be over used, and end up looking bad.

Ah, maybe he meant he was going to convert what he had to halftones, I assumed he would be adding brand new things for halftones. Anyway, any clear tutorials on how to halftone? It's something I've wanted to learn, but never found anything yet simple to understand

Vote at Goodjoe

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon

I actually have an idea this week, but no time. Three blind mice as an anaglyph image, wearing red-cyan glasses. 3D Blind Mice!

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
GreatClips wrote:Ah, maybe he meant he was going to convert what he had to halftones, I assumed he would be adding brand new things for halftones. Anyway, any clear tutorials on how to halftone? It's something I've wanted to learn, but never found anything yet simple to understand

Check my tutorials link in my sig.

Lagbert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert

Here's the concept I'm working on:

Three band armadillo on a tricycle tracing out the number three.

Final version will have pedals.

Suggestions or comments?

GreatClips

odysseyroc wrote:Check my tutorials link in my sig.

Ohh thanks! I think I finally understand, you take the blur/feathering effect and convert it to the to small dot halftones. Good stuff!

Vote at Goodjoe

curli76

quality posts: 18 Private Messages curli76
tjost wrote:Smoking... it'll kill ya......

This story was rumored to be invented by a match company to sell more matches.

missmissa07

Soooo...I have no idea how I am going to color this (as I am terrible at coloring), but here is what I have so far:

Any suggestions? And I suppose I am "uncreative" since I just stuck 3 items together :P. But what can I say, I love quills .

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
Lagbert wrote:Here's the concept I'm working on:

Three band armadillo on a tricycle tracing out the number three.

pic

Final version will have pedals.

Suggestions or comments?

The super long ear, along with the angle, makes it look like it's wearing a baseball cap backwards...not great, IMO.

will you make it look like he's riding in sand, or something similar? Otherwise, the three doesn't make sense.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

SubBass49

quality posts: 3 Private Messages SubBass49
jasneko wrote:2nd design...I *think* I like the way this one is, but I'll still consider suggestions if anyone has ideas for improvements. Thanks!

If you can make the birds' feet & beaks orange instead of yellow, you'll have a textbook triadic color harmony going...might want to do a color test of that and see how you like it...

/my 2 cents

sterence

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sterence

Out of curiosity does

"Third" or "3rd" seem out of line?

ISO30

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ISO30
graffd02 wrote:Here's my entry into the fray...

Mine too... :-)

jasneko

missmissa07 wrote:The beautiful simplicity of your designs always amazes me, Jasneko! I love this design! And, I'm a sucker for anything on green.

Aww, what a nice compliment missmissa, thanks so much! And I'm a bit of a sucker for green too;)

SubBass49 wrote:If you can make the birds' feet & beaks orange instead of yellow, you'll have a textbook triadic color harmony going...might want to do a color test of that and see how you like it...

/my 2 cents

Neat observation ... the green looks like it is already is a shade off though, I think? So not sure if I'd quite get that anyway, but I'll experiment some more. Thanks for the thought!

kettletoast

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kettletoast

Here's what I ended up with...

Definitely an artistic stretch for me, and I'm not expecting a lot for it. But I had lots of fun.

Barnhill5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Barnhill5
ISO30 wrote:Mine too... :-)

Correct me if I am wrong here, but it looks like only ISO has the correct humber of protons and neutrons (3 each). Maybe most people wouldn't know this (?)
I like this design - simple and clean.

imsochady

quality posts: 26 Private Messages imsochady

Hey there fellars!

So I decided to use Photoshop this week, and here's what I have so far, and I call it:

Family Tree of Three

Any comments? Would dearly love them! Thanks

Edit: Left side are suppose to be flames...

Lagbert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert
missmissa07 wrote:Soooo...I have no idea how I am going to color this (as I am terrible at coloring), but here is what I have so far:

Any suggestions? And I suppose I am "uncreative" since I just stuck 3 items together :P. But what can I say, I love quills .

Your quills look great! The extra line leading into the 3 makes it less clear as to what it is. I think an off center placement of the quills would help the composition. I'd also suggest only having one quill tracing the line otherwise it could be interpreted as three quills tied together.

Here's a possible option:

For colors I'd suggest use a creme shirt (to suggest parchment) and then sepia tones to color the rest of the image.

Best of Luck!

studio1172

quality posts: 0 Private Messages studio1172

I need some help choosing a shirt color and ink combo. What do you think?

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
Spiritgreen wrote:instead of unleashing the rage of your own entirely personal opinions as if it was a big ol' truth hammer.

Told you there was no safety ^_~.

I guess it's safe to assume that because I drew a dragon it will automatically be tattled as asian culture. I figured as much, so I was probably right to shelve the design. :\ I worked hard on it, but there's always other venues.

Back to work!

odysseyroc

studio1172 wrote:I need some help choosing a shirt color and ink combo. What do you think?

red/orange/yellow

missmissa07

Lagbert wrote:Your quills look great! The extra line leading into the 3 makes it less clear as to what it is. I think an off center placement of the quills would help the composition. I'd also suggest only having one quill tracing the line otherwise it could be interpreted as three quills tied together.

Here's a possible option:

For colors I'd suggest use a creme shirt (to suggest parchment) and then sepia tones to color the rest of the image.

Best of Luck!

Awesome! Thank you so, so much . I love your suggestions and am working on employing them at the moment . I was thinking cream as well, and I'm doing some research on brown-ish feathers, so hopefully I will be able to reflect those well in the picture.

Thanks again!

studio1172

odysseyroc wrote:red/orange/yellow

Thanks!

venturboy

quality posts: 4 Private Messages venturboy
Barnhill5 wrote:Correct me if I am wrong here, but it looks like only ISO has the correct humber of protons and neutrons (3 each). Maybe most people wouldn't know this (?)

Assuming light green for protons and dark green for neutrons, you are wrong. Lithium does have three protons, but naturally can have either three or four neutrons. In fact, it is found much more often in nature with four neutrons, about 92% to 8% with three neutrons. So both ISO and graffd are correct, assuming there's no rogue proton or neutron hiding on the other side of the image. They both, however, use models of the atom that do not accurately portray the movement of electrons, since 1s and 2s electrons move in a sphere, with 2s's sphere larger than that of 1s. In that sense, ISO's is more correct, as it shows the orbital levels, not their specific movement.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium

luker256

quality posts: 1 Private Messages luker256
Naolito wrote:here is my idea, called " T(h)ree

How about "Buy T(h)ree" and have products that woot would sell (but nothing too woot-y or they will reject it) hanging from the tree as well

fftkrazee

quality posts: 3 Private Messages fftkrazee

Here's my entry for this week. Couldn't really think of anything but I had this design laying around so I tweaked it a bit to match the derby.

jasneko

I did this as a bit of a goof... what do people think? Is it amusing? Or should I scrap it? There were a few angles I thought of taking this one... here's one anyway:

Bizarre Love Triangle

or maybe on brown:

bassanimation

Spiritgreen wrote:Well anyway, I found some time so here's what I've been working on. :

(Trilobites, meaning "three lobes". Sadly extinct... too tasty to live.) Too random? ^_^

I'm still working on their cookie-ness. The text isn't part of the shirt, of course. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions I'd be glad to hear them.

Mmmmmm....Trilo-bites. This has my vote tomorrow! Awesomely funny. Who wouldn't love prehistoric critters that look like cookies?

lonelypond

quality posts: 421 Private Messages lonelypond
jasneko wrote:I did this as a bit of a goof... what do people think? Is it amusing? Or should I scrap it? There were a few angles I thought of taking this one... here's one anyway:

Bizarre Love Triangle

or maybe on brown:

made me laugh, but I love the song. Like it on the lighter color.

Also known as blue.

studio1172

Here is another one before I go to bed. It made me giggle a geeky giggle.

lonelypond

quality posts: 421 Private Messages lonelypond
odysseyroc wrote:red/orange/yellow

what he said

odysseyroc

My shirt comp, before I go to bed.

bassanimation

odysseyroc wrote:My shirt comp, before I go to bed.

I like this! Nice job on the shading. It would have been super cute..err...I mean funny (avoiding girly talk) to have put a tiny bumber sticker on the car that was like an X-out of a wolf silhouette. I love the 3 Little Pigs!

odysseyroc

bassanimation wrote:I like this! Nice job on the shading. It would have been super cute..err...I mean funny (avoiding girly talk) to have put a tiny bumber sticker on the car that was like an X-out of a wolf silhouette. I love the 3 Little Pigs!

I thought of putting a "wolf crossing" type of sign and crossing out the wolf, with drippy spray paint. I had that after I was just about finished coloring it and couldn't figure out how to place it, without it looking like I just tacked it on at the end. If text was allowed this week, the license plate would have said "WoLF187"

studio1172