walmazan

quality posts: 64 Private Messages walmazan
Re: Arroz Con Pollo

As a lucha libre fan, and as a odysseyroc fan, I support this with a +1!

Love your coloring in this one!

Viva la lucha! viva y viva el arroz con pollo!

cynic11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cynic11

mjunkmail

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjunkmail

I really like it, and would want one, except for it looking like he only has one leg.

It kind of makes it look like the shirt/print came from a seconds/irregular bin.

fitzy333

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fitzy333

zosai

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zosai
Re: The Treachery of Images

6 colors on lemon...

I hope you like it!

here's Magritte's original:

MadamAtom

quality posts: 7 Private Messages MadamAtom
Re: Raft of the Medusa

Hrm.

I'd never heard of the original; the first search link I clicked led me to a neat article on it, whose comments inlcuded a link to an artist's response to the original.

I'm not saying you ripped it off, because it's an easy enough idea to have ... but it might be a copyright issue for Woot.

zosai

Re: Inspired by The Great Wave

This looks great! I second everybody who said they saw it in the Kawaii thread and was glad you saved it for this perfect theme. gmv.

zosai

Re: Inspired by The Great Wave

This looks great! I second everybody who said they saw it in the Kawaii thread and was glad you saved it for this perfect theme. gmv.

joshuajmasters

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joshuajmasters
jbb04 wrote:I love this! And like most good ideas I wish I'd thought of it first. I do wish the signal looked a bit more like Don Quixote and less like Batman.

Thanks for your kind words, jbb04. I struggled a great deal with the symbol and tried many different designs... none of which seemed to work. I was really working to get a windmill signal, but it didn't really work. In the end, I tried to make the bat signal look like the edge of the shaving basin Don Quixote wears. In any case, I appreciate your support and like your work.

walmazan

quality posts: 64 Private Messages walmazan
Re: The Thinker

Thanks for all the support guys! means a lot to me!

joshuajmasters

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joshuajmasters
AdderXYU wrote:This isn't the "parody famous art" derby. This is hardly a reinterpretation of the title, since it's drawn in the same style as the original, and the reinterpretation of the image (ie: using a bat signal) makes no sense in the light of that title. Off topic.

I think adding elements of modern pop culture into a classical work is on topic, since the title is "Don Quixote" and the work represents a modern interpretation of a archtype character in a classic style. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it.

DivineAna

quality posts: 9 Private Messages DivineAna
Re: Mucha's Zodiac RESUB

I am... hesitant about the color plus the shirt color. Would anyone else be feeling it more if the design were on a different colored shirt?

DivineAna

Re: Nighthawks

Beautiful!

Oh, here's hoping this wins!

DivineAna

Re: The Thinker (Neuron Forest)

I kind of love the stark quality of this design, especially with the concept you're going for.

DivineAna

Re: American Gothic

I would so wear this.

capedcrusader514

quality posts: 1 Private Messages capedcrusader514

Yeah. I see this doing verrrry. well.

capedcrusader514

It's a great idea but I think it's weird you have them drawn in such clashing styles.

rachelwootswii

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rachelwootswii
Re: The Anatomy Lesson of Dr. Nicolaes Tulp

love this one :D
my art professors would love it too.

capedcrusader514

I dig.

capedcrusader514

CityVelo wrote:Fun concept and good execution of design. I can't help but think, however, how you missed an opportunity to make the helmet of the space suit accommodate a bird's beak. It could make the silhouette more pronounced, exaggerate the subject matter, and bring another bit of hilarity to the design.

Also, the amount of stars could lessen a bit more dramatically toward the edge of the design. Doesn't have to, but it might be something to play with out of curiosity.

Nice detail, though. I like the traction you've got goin' on the bird feet boots. Good luck!

Definitely thought about it, ultimately I decided it was funnier this way. Thanks for the comment.

zosai

Re: The Physical Impossibility of Death...

Awesome! I love the wordplay, the coloring is amazing, and who knew conceptual art worked so well on a t-shirt ! GMV

capitalsown

quality posts: 1 Private Messages capitalsown
mrsruvi wrote:If it makes you feel better the painting he's referencing is actually titled "A friend in need" and its the most famous in the popularly titled "Dog's Playing Poker" series. But ultimately, who cares? its a good concept

Yeah, I don't dispute that, and I will also say I like the shirt. However, the derby clearly asks for interpretations of actual art titles. I can't pretend like the Mona Lisa is actually called "No Eyebrows Lady" and then submit a shirt featuring tons of women with no eyebrows. Even though the subject of the painting is a woman with no eyebrows, or in this case, dogs playing poker, I can't submit my interpretation of the painting based on the subject. I have to do it based on the title. Knowing the title is "A friend in need", this interpretation of the title makes absolutely no sense.

yankeebird

quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
phrozt wrote:Yes.. there are leaves and notes in both designs...

... and that's about it.

To say your comment is a stretch is a bit of a stretch in and of itself.

Well, considering that leaves and notes on a musical staff are the main concepts in each piece, it seems relevent.

And the artist him (her?)self is acknowledging the similarity...

It is a beautiful design, but I wouldn't expect it to withstand rejection.

To the artist: you have great talent, so I hope you keep entering derbies.

Naolito

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Naolito
Re: The Young Beggar

Inspired By the young beggar by Bartolomé Murillo
http://www.oceansbridge.com/oil-paintings/product/76573/theyoungbeggar164

yankeebird

quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
Re: Persistence of Memory

Can you post a closeup of your halftones?

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: The Scream!

Heehee! There have been a lot of parodies of The Scream, but this one delivers with a brand new angle.

Sweet. GMV!

timrice

quality posts: 0 Private Messages timrice
Re: Separation of Light from Darkness

Beautiful, definitely has my vote.

AcorNayho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AcorNayho
Re: The Tramp

I was wondering if you'd work in something before heading down to sdcc. Good work as usual. +1

gijoe317

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gijoe317
crazy4books wrote:I could wear this to the library.

or an art museum =)

etherbrian

quality posts: 0 Private Messages etherbrian

Ugh. I hate having to defend my art, buy here goes...

Just as Rembrandt's painting Syndics of the Drapers' Guild is commonly referred to as The Dutch Masters (thanks to the cigars), A Friend In Need, as well as any of the other dogs-playing-poker paintings, viewed by itself is often referred to as Dogs Playing Poker. See: Google Image Search.

It seems a weak point, but if the Powers That Woot feel the same as the naysayers, I'll take my consolation prize (the home version board game) and go home.

scromlette

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scromlette
Re: Waterfall, by M.C. Escher

I like the design, but it would greatly depend n the color of the shirt it's on (that green in the picture doesn't work for me)

lindal33

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lindal33

Omelets made great... this is SO appropriate here on Cape Cod, where they have been disputing back and forth for YEARS about putting a wind farm off the coast.

I love the design! I want one!

Linda

Re: Reinterpreting Don Quixote by Picasso

lindal33

Hahahahahaha... this one made me laugh!

Nice.

Re: Washington Crossing the Delaware

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
Re: Arroz Con Pollo

I just noticed a bit of stray color. Fixing and resubmitting...damn

lindal33

Adorable!

Re: Red Dot

bsbangel180

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bsbangel180
Re: Winged Victory

Amazing interpretation of a really great art piece. I love the drama you give it, and the color scheme really works. Brilliant job.

bsbangel180

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bsbangel180
Re: Michelangelo's David

THIS HAS MADE MY LIFE! Wow, a TMNT reference. Amazinnggg.

cashland

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cashland

radiomode

quality posts: 3 Private Messages radiomode
Re: The Discus Thrower

You are full of great idea

lindal33

Very sweet.

Re: Starry Night