- RamyB & Zenne collab (line derby)

Life Renewed
- TheInfinityLoop (beginning derby)

The Original Recycler
- patrickspens (bird derby)

Non-derby piece:
Phoenix Rising
- MissMonster

and about 10X that in non-winning entries...

Except for "The Original Recycler" (reckoned on March 1), they haven't been available in over a year.

I'm not a fan of black shirts anyway. Colorwise, this one is very similar to MissMonster's design. MissMonster's phoenix looks like a cross between a chicken and a goldfish which is why I didn't purchase it. This one is much more graceful.

KromeHWI

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KromeHWI
Re: American Gothic

i almost made nearly the same shirt as this, but decided to go with a different kind of gothic...

nice work though, yous is better than mine would have been. the flag is a nice touch!

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
Re: Arroz Con Pollo resub

I noticed a problem with the color on my original version, so I fixed it and resubbed.

The title is from a Jean-Michel Basquiat painting.

detail:

KromeHWI

Re: Inspired by The Great Wave

i like this a lot but i could have done without the giant hand.

from the thumbnail i thought this was going to be of the people waving at the boat as it rides the wave, and i thought even that subtle touch would have been awesome. i feel like the giant hand is a little over the top.

that said, its still a sweet design.

bellarific

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bellarific
Re: The Last Supper

Well this is just adorable. :D

KromeHWI

Re: The Burning Giraffe

very clever and funny. this cracks me up!

nice job!

KromeHWI

Re: Flower Carrier

awesome!

the whole robot nature contrast is so potent i love it! very miyazaki.

KromeHWI

KIDA26

quality posts: 2 Private Messages KIDA26

KromeHWI

Re: The Persistence of Memory

not sure i completely get it, but very nice use of imagery!

i like it!

ps. the only real question i have is why is the seahorse breathing out bubbles?

KromeHWI

Re: Dogs Playing Poker

id honestly be a bit surprised if this hasnt already been done before, as i have seen this picture modified and spoofed hundreds of times...

but that said, i didnt think of it, and its well drawn. simple, but fun.

good luck!

ps. i wouldnt be terribly surprised if someone has come up with my second design as well. that could probably be said about a lot of the designs in the derbies... so its not a criticism of your work. just sayin...

KromeHWI

Re: Don Quixote

i tried to avoid using the bat symbol in my design, not that it wouldnt have been appropriate because i originally wanted to include it (both on the costume and with the spotlight), but because i wondered if it wouldnt push too close to the copywrite laws... i seem to remember something about a previous entry being rejected due to the wonder woman stripes being too blatant even for parody...

fun design though, i hope it doesnt get the stamp!

SeedUvPain

quality posts: 11 Private Messages SeedUvPain
bellarific wrote:Well this is just adorable. :D

That's how I roll...

clarinerd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages clarinerd
Re: Autumn Rhythm by Jackson Pollock

I've decided that I'm going to leave the shirt in. I was taken aback at first that there were two shirts that both dealt with autumn and music, but upon closer inspection there are a lot of differences (the leaves from the tree are acting as notes on the line of music, the background, and the general style and color).

happy voting!

punchycats

quality posts: 0 Private Messages punchycats
Re: The Thinker

I can't resist your designs -- I love this and hope it prints so I can add it to my Walmazon collection!!

walmazan

quality posts: 65 Private Messages walmazan

Me encanta esta version tambien! GMV!

KromeHWI

Re: The Persistence of Memory

creepy...

also, i had to look for em, but they're in there... those characteristic monsters you are so fond of drawing (do they live in your closet? are they your friends?)...

im glad that the focus is on something different this time though... for variety sake if nothing else.

(not that i dont like the monsters... i love your vaugly seussian nightmare sytle...)

props and good luck!

KromeHWI

phrozt wrote:Very interesting take, and nicely executed.

I wonder how it would look if you made your images smaller to represent the full flag, but still keep the gothic texture...

i had the same thought. i like the design, its very clever, but i would have used more rows with smaller detail, especially in the stars section. i think it still would have held up. it might have made it necessary to get close to the shirt to see the actual detail but thats ok.

nice work. great concept!

endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega

A colleague was just telling me about this film: (http://www.postershop.com/Anonymous/Anonymous-Santo-y-Blue-Demon-contra-los-Monstruos-1193840.html) the other week on the ride back from Wizard World Philly.

The concept delighted me at the time, and your parody design greatly amuses me now! GMV, simply because I get to feel like I'm 'in' on some kind of wonderful, exclusive joke.

KromeHWI

Re: Persistence of Memory

hehehe! fun.

a great title to work off of, so much potential!

it would have been awesome to see the memory chips melting all over the place though (like the clocks in the original), that would have made for an absolutely brilliant design that i cant imagine would not be in the fog...

in fact, i strongly encourage you to draw that up too and submit it before it gets too late in the derby. itd still have a chance i think.

dalamite

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dalamite
MadamAtom wrote:Hrm.

I'd never heard of the original; the first search link I clicked led me to a neat article on it, whose comments inlcuded a link to an artist's response to the original.

I'm not saying you ripped it off, because it's an easy enough idea to have ... but it might be a copyright issue for Woot.

I've never seen any work of David Palmer, but I have seen that of Théodore Géricault. Didn't you take art history?

That was a floater pitch, and I took a swing.

What kind of rafter doesn't use a paddle?

SirSquinty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SirSquinty

Would you consider another color perhaps? This is one of my favorite designs ever but I simply wont wear white. :/

MissJamieD

quality posts: 44 Private Messages MissJamieD

This is great! The faces are so priceless. What's even better, I was laughing at the cat before I noticed the uber big fish (which made me laugh more). Just awesome!

cabooserwar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cabooserwar
pi3832 wrote:Best to re-sbumit, methinks.

thanks for that, but i was just wondering, and this goes to the woot community in general, why is the submission page broken! i've tried everything to get it to work, and i see new submissions go up, why can't i resub this :/

GreatClips

quality posts: 3 Private Messages GreatClips
makaveli456 wrote:i don't understand

It's based on a painting... a famous painting. See here http://heroesnotzombies.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/rembrandt_anatomy_lesson_dr_tulp.jpg

Vote at Goodjoe

GreatClips

quality posts: 3 Private Messages GreatClips

Vote at Goodjoe

cabooserwar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cabooserwar
pi3832 wrote:Best to re-sbumit, methinks.

thanks for that, but i was just wondering, and this goes to the woot community in general, why is the submission page broken! i've tried everything to get it to work, and i see new submissions go up, why can't i resub this :/

greyeclipse

quality posts: 0 Private Messages greyeclipse
Re: Dogs Playing Poker

Looks great!

Lagbert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert
Re: Rembrandt Self Portrait C.1669

So which way is it on the shirt? Backwards like in the mock up or forwards like in the big picture?

Lagbert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert
Re: The Physical Impossibility of Death...

This is great! The cigar is a nice touch - how does he smoke that under water?

I'm not a fan of the word bubble - would rather imagine my own sharktastic battle cries - "Crush the air breathers!"

Excellent color choices.

GMV

trekmiss

quality posts: 8 Private Messages trekmiss
tcdc wrote:That's the ROOF of the 16th chapel.

Or perhaps the flower is "sealing" the 16th chapel.

effiew

quality posts: 0 Private Messages effiew
kylemittskus wrote:It should.

But here at shirt.woot, it doesn't.

Why? I'm not trying to be obnoxious, it's an earnest question.

From a capitalistic view-point it makes sense to create/print an image that will have broad appeal because more people will vote for/buy it.

From an artistic standpoint, it can be rewarding to add your own style and voice to familiar, iconic imagery. It's the same reason really good songs have so many covers.

I'm not saying that originality shouldn't be encouraged, but if something has been done before I can't see why it would be bad to do it again as long as the new one is different enough to stand alone.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
bsbangel180 wrote:THIS HAS MADE MY LIFE! Wow, a TMNT reference. Amazinnggg.

Well, here you go.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

jomichar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jomichar
Re: Reinterpreting Don Quixote by Picasso

Nice! I like how it is a play off the original artwork. Hopefully it is parody enough that it doesn't get rejected for being too close.

endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega

I can only echo what others have said; there's a great deal of charm & character to this. While I'm not sure it's something I would personally *wear*, I find it highly enjoyable nonetheless.

wootnewt12

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootnewt12
yankeebird wrote:Can you post a closeup of your halftones?

It's just gradients..sorry. I'm still new.

lucky1988

quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
Re: The Discus Thrower

Thanks everyone!

lucky1988

Re: Bird in Space.

great character and colors!

lucky1988

Re: [Modern] Self Portrait with Monkey

awesome, love their unibrows!

grahamcrackercoyote

quality posts: 25 Private Messages grahamcrackercoyote
Re: Magic Touch

Cute, but Disney takes Saint Mickey pretty seriously. The House of the Rat might have copyright issues