sogj

quality posts: 15 Private Messages sogj
sogj wrote:Stars are for love.

Thanks

I refuse to answer on the grounds that I don't know the answer.

lindal33

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lindal33
parrotworks wrote:Just couldn't resist working with this title.

http://www.moma.org/collection/browse_results.php?criteria=O%3AAD%3AE%3A28620&page_number=1&template_id=1&sort_order=1

lol... I like your version better.

lindal33

It's simply beautiful.

Re: The Discovery of fire

lindal33

The two pieces are not the same at all.
Very nice, and good luck.

clarinerd wrote:I've decided that I'm going to leave the shirt in. I was taken aback at first that there were two shirts that both dealt with autumn and music, but upon closer inspection there are a lot of differences (the leaves from the tree are acting as notes on the line of music, the background, and the general style and color).

happy voting!

lindal33

I love it, too. It combines two classic images, and anyone who doesn't think the original "Rosie the Riveter" is art, is a snob. :p

enginivity wrote:Actually, many works of art often become known by alternate titles, or subtitles that are not originally part of the title. (by popular association)

If there is a derby that is subject to flexible parameters, this would be the one.

This piece is also based on a well known work of art called "Rosie the Robot," whose title and concept are parodied effectively here.

Love the shirt! =)

dmhdb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmhdb
dalamite wrote:I've never seen any work of David Palmer, but I have seen that of Théodore Géricault. Didn't you take art history?

That was a floater pitch, and I took a swing.

What kind of rafter doesn't use a paddle?

GMV! I would wear it on a T Shirt!!!!

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
endangeredomega wrote:A colleague was just telling me about this film: (http://www.postershop.com/Anonymous/Anonymous-Santo-y-Blue-Demon-contra-los-Monstruos-1193840.html) the other week on the ride back from Wizard World Philly.

The concept delighted me at the time, and your parody design greatly amuses me now! GMV, simply because I get to feel like I'm 'in' on some kind of wonderful, exclusive joke.

Thanks! Those movies are awesome. El Santo was always saving the world from monsters, zombies, aliens or any other supernatural threat. A friend of mine, who I'd watch wrestling with all the time had some Mil Mascaras movies on tape and we'd watch those sometimes.I love Lucha Libre, there is an element of craziness that's missing from american pro wrestling.

sokowa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa
Re: The Burning Giraffe

Aww man. Beaten out of the fog by a room full of gambling wieners. haha

KromeHWI

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KromeHWI
Re: Winged Victory

baddass!

also, epic!

sasham62

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sasham62
MadamAtom wrote:My problem isn't with its resemblance to anything else--it's with its use of a title-that-isn't. The statue's title, I'm pretty sure, is just David, so making the joke has made the shirt off-topic.

Agreed. I'd like to see it get rejected as off-topic, but Woot is ... inconsistent in it's enforcement of topic.

imsochady wrote:Whoa! Didn't know this would make quite the fuss! I amuse myself with my drawings. If you're amused too, then I think we can be friends. If not, then I can only consider you an acquaintance. lols

Thanks to the fine comments and compliments friends! Oh how I love them.

So, you like the abject flattery, ignoring all criticism no matter how constructive then? Good to know.

BronsonBurningham

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BronsonBurningham
Re: The Physical Impossibility of Death...

This shirt is brilliant. I loved it before I knew what the original art piece was and even more after I wikipedia'd it.

You are a champion.

KromeHWI

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KromeHWI

my only real critique (i think the legs are fine. i never saw it as only having one by the way...) is that the angel is rocking what appear to be samurai swords.

a more medieval shaped sword(s) with more hand guard and maybe more of a pointed or even flanged and less chisel tip blade would fit the style better i think.

but this is a minor thing...

excellent work!

topfrog56

quality posts: 0 Private Messages topfrog56
Re: Composition IX - Mondrian scores big!

Just in case you need this info: Seurat was very big on pointilism.....

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: Separation of Light from Darkness

Really neat! Nice work.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
sasham62 wrote:So, you like the abject flattery, ignoring all criticism no matter how constructive then? Good to know.

QFT.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

imsochady

quality posts: 26 Private Messages imsochady
sasham62 wrote:So, you like the abject flattery, ignoring all criticism no matter how constructive then? Good to know.

I take note of actual constructive criticism to my art like this one...

capedcrusader514 wrote:It's a great idea but I think it's weird you have them drawn in such clashing styles.

Unfortunately, your comments here are not, so they are kindly ignored.

lgof03

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lgof03

i love this shirt i really hope it prints

kylemittskus

Re: Reinterpreting Don Quixote by Picasso

Parody =/= reinterpretation.

ninjabunny9000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ninjabunny9000

HAH!!! <3 IT!

jomichar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jomichar
timrice wrote:Beautiful, definitely has my vote.

jasneko wrote:Really neat! Nice work.

Thanks everyone for the comments! And I'm still pretty new at this so I welcome any suggestions or criticisms that I could keep in mind for future submissions. Thanks for voting!

sasham62

Re: We Can Do It! (Rosie the Riveter)

The original Rosie the Riveter is art. Whether you consider it good art, bad art or mediocre art is your opinion. Commercial art is still art.

As to the title, I'd be open to either, but if the title is "We Can Do It", then this missed the mark because you didn't reimagine or interpret "We Can Do It" at all. You just replaced the Rosie. If the title is "Rosie the Riveter", then again, you didn't reimagine the title, just replaced the Rosie. If your Rosie the Robot were, perhaps, repairing herself -- and thus, actually riveting -- then you would be on-topic.
Of course, this derby is disappointingly loaded with images that are little more than reproductions. I'm not overly hopeful that the rejectionator will salvage this derby.

truffleshuffle

quality posts: 4 Private Messages truffleshuffle
MadamAtom wrote:It's River! Must vote before she kills me with her brain ...

Oh my god it IS River Tam! I didn't think of that when I was drawing it but I'm petty sure you're right, haha.

KromeHWI wrote:creepy...
im glad that the focus is on something different this time though... for variety sake if nothing else.

props and good luck!

Thanks! I'm trying to move away from monsters more since I realized I was sort of over-using them. I haven't done a solely monster-themed entry since the Devo derby I don't think...and for Kawaii I got into the spirit by doing this! If you miss the monsters though you can always find them at MySoti here!

sasham62

Re: Dali: metamorphosis

Since the actual title is "Metamorphosis of Narcissus", I wish you had used a daffodil for your flower (Narcissus is the genus name of the daffodil).

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Re: The Phantom Landscape by Magritte

The Phantom Landscape by Magritte

tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost

imsochady

quality posts: 26 Private Messages imsochady

That is some awesome rendering! Love the texturing too! +1!

theflash95

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theflash95
Re: The Scream!

This made me giggle... ALOT!

Nice job.

Icemank91

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Icemank91

Placeholder

alranth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alranth
Re: The Twittering Machine

Paul Klee meets the Audubon Society meets Twitter.

The Twittering Machine by Paul Klee

tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
Re: Napoleon Crossing (on a) St Bernard

You guys did a great job on this. I shoulda had you color my Napolean piece from several derbies ago

3blackbelt3

quality posts: 4 Private Messages 3blackbelt3
Re: Saturn Devouring His Son

Hmmm... Not on a t-shirt template

welshman1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages welshman1
Re: The Physical Impossibility of Death...

This is brilliant, i want one. I'll give you money.... or Swedish fishes?

skenneldogs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skenneldogs

I love everything about this shirt- speech bubble and lowercase lettering included. I can't wait until the weekend!

Beefcoat

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Beefcoat

I think this is a great design. I love the leg back as it is. It adds action to the illustration. I think it would lose a lot if the other leg was extended and in full view.

albinoapple

quality posts: 2 Private Messages albinoapple
Re: We Can Do It! (Rosie the Riveter)

Ugh, can we stop parodying Rose the Riveter? It's been done to death.

kylemittskus

Magritte is one of my favorite painters. And you are one of my favorite designers. +1

kylemittskus

imsochady wrote:Unfortunately, your comments here are not, so they are kindly ignored.

You don't see why some of us have a problem with this shirt coming so closely on the heels of another daily (that sold out) that is strikingly in the same vein? I am not saying that you stole the idea at all. I don't know if you did. But at the very least, you must admit that there are striking similarities and you unfortunately have a poorly timed submission.

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
Re: Mucha's Zodiac RESUB

I like this, but it needs some added awesomeness to take it from "okay" to "wow!".

Advice:

1. The linework is very good, and the focus of your piece. Get rid of the solid color background, and instead use a second color as a highlight to give the piece depth. Vary the thickness of your original lines a bit more.

2. It needs something underneath the twins' elbows to fill the work out. Right now it's too straight.

3. Perhaps a third color used *subtly* to add interest but not distract from your focal points.

4. Make your mock on a "real" shirt, it looks so much better. Resources: http://shirt.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=1517039

Otherwise what you have here is a great starting point. Your image also looks compressed? Make sure you are subbing at 580x580.

Cheers,

-art

kylemittskus

sasham62 wrote:The original Rosie the Riveter is art. Whether you consider it good art, bad art or mediocre art is your opinion. Commercial art is still art.

As to the title, I'd be open to either, but if the title is "We Can Do It", then this missed the mark because you didn't reimagine or interpret "We Can Do It" at all. You just replaced the Rosie. If the title is "Rosie the Riveter", then again, you didn't reimagine the title, just replaced the Rosie. If your Rosie the Robot were, perhaps, repairing herself -- and thus, actually riveting -- then you would be on-topic.
Of course, this derby is disappointingly loaded with images that are little more than reproductions. I'm not overly hopeful that the rejectionator will salvage this derby.

This.

A substantial number of submissions' designers seem to have completely misunderstood the derby's theme. It seems simple enough. Reinterpret the title of a famous piece of art; not reinterpret the piece of art itself.

Drakxxx

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Drakxxx
Re: Arroz Con Pollo resub

Looking great man. I'd definitely love to get this shirt. It reminds me of this recent low budget film classic:

Zombies getting caught up in camel clutches, full nelsons, and shining wizards!