3blackbelt3

quality posts: 4 Private Messages 3blackbelt3

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: The Physical Impossibility of Death...

Wow thanks! :^) As you can probably tell, this was a lot of fun to draw.

Jestik

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik
Re: Man Holding Up a Baby as Though He Were...

oh, this is a scream! great job Bootsy!

Spiritgreen

Re: Triple Self-Portrait

Hey I thought I commented on this already. I really like your style, it's unique and self-assured.

Lovely design!

zapatista

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zapatista
Re: The Thinker

You did again! GMV

kushalm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kushalm
Re: The Scream

I'd submitted this for the nightmare derby and it didn't do too well, but I've reworked it and changed the colour and placement and hopefully this time it gets more votes.

Just the one colour on Black.

kushalm

Oh and also, i tried my very best to keep the halftones when I resized the image to fit the thumbnail but couldn't so it might look like it's a gradient but it actually is halftones..you can see more clearly in the shirt comp. I will also be adding some more detailed images but that might take a bit.

Cheers!

DivineAna

quality posts: 9 Private Messages DivineAna
subtlenife wrote:You verb tense is wrong.

Your possessive is wrong.

I think it's copying "ce n'est pas un pipe" rather than "It was Ms. Scarlett..."

kettletoast

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kettletoast
AdderXYU wrote:24 hours window.

Ah... Thanks!

DivineAna

effiew wrote:Why? I'm not trying to be obnoxious, it's an earnest question.

From a capitalistic view-point it makes sense to create/print an image that will have broad appeal because more people will vote for/buy it.

From an artistic standpoint, it can be rewarding to add your own style and voice to familiar, iconic imagery. It's the same reason really good songs have so many covers.

I'm not saying that originality shouldn't be encouraged, but if something has been done before I can't see why it would be bad to do it again as long as the new one is different enough to stand alone.

OK, but in order for printing a shirt design to be profitable, Woot has to print them in bulk. Say there are three phoenix designs that get voted to the top at one time. Unfortunately, when it comes to buying, not everyone who voted is going to buy the shirt. In fact, all 700 of the people who voted for these three phoenix designs all decide to buy different shirts, so about 200 of each design gets sold, when Woot printed, at minimum, 500 shirts. So now they have 300 left over of each shirt, and no buyers on the horizon.

If, instead, they print one phoenix design, everyone who's interested in the phoenix design buys that one shirt-- and all 500 or so prints sell out.

Remember that high votes don't always translate into high sales. Keep on eye on the reckoning page, and sometimes you'll see designs that were voted first one week vanish the next from poor sales, while designs that came in third stick around for weeks and weeks. Furthermore, Woot is trying to appeal to people who don't vote in derbies as well-- people who presumably look at the phoenix shirt and say, "It's nice and all, but I bought a phoenix shirt the last time they printed one, and I'm not trying to earn the office nickname of Phoenix-Boy, so I think I won't buy this one,".

DivineAna

SirSquinty wrote:Would you consider another color perhaps? This is one of my favorite designs ever but I simply wont wear white. :/

I think I'm on the fence because of the white tee as well... though it's getting kind of late in the game to re-sub with a different colored shirt...

Spiritgreen

marzipanapple wrote:As someone mentioned before, this is traced. I could understand why you might not want to believe just words (as anyone could say anything). So here's some proof:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v69/Applepie/trace.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v69/Applepie/trace2.png

In case you can't figure out what's going on here, I opened two windows. One with the original and one with the shirt. I then dragged the original to overlay the shirt's graphic, then took a screen shot of my desktop. I did this twice. Once to line it up with the characters, and then a second time to show that the OP didn't even want to draw the sun themselves.

Exactly, marzipan'. I really hate to say anything negative about other artists' work so I overlayed the images to make sure before I even posted about the issue.

Just so everyone understands : the problem is that you -legally- can't reproduce the work of someone like Pablo Picasso. His heirs own the rights to his work and they can and do sue people for improper use of it. Woot simply wouldn't be able to print this in its current form.

Johndis5

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Johndis5

smity2220

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smity2220
jasneko wrote:The Tree of Life
(Gustav Klimt)

Some close ups:

I love the pears...totally voting for this one!

rglee129

quality posts: 28 Private Messages rglee129
Re: The Phantom Landscape by Magritte

Very pretty, great details and colors. Sorry it's not getting more votes.

rglee129

quality posts: 28 Private Messages rglee129
Re: The Umbrellas

Brilliant. A celebration of clever and sound aesthetic principles! Great job.

BootsBoots

quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
Jestik wrote:oh, this is a scream! great job Bootsy!

Thanks! We really need to bring back "It's a scream!" I love that expression. "It's the berries!" is a good one too.

BootsBoots

quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots

Pretty!

ZandersZa

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ZandersZa

You've done it again, Chris. GMV and will buy it the second it pops. Hopefully the community doesn't let another great design of yours slip away into obscurity.

And BTW, I think the main reason I like it so much is how well all the colors and the concept of a rainstorm mesh with the asphalt. I think you made the right choice.

vorteks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vorteks

This is extremely high quality. Amazing that it's a first-time entry.

LadyofRohan2995

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LadyofRohan2995
sogj wrote:Wow! This is amazing. First entry?! I look forward to seeing more from you!

Me too! Please stick around!

wotto

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wotto

It is a pretty common theme but I don't think it is a rip, sometimes artists have similar ideas.

By Alex Solis

vorteks

Love it. Voted. Passionately.

vorteks

This is extremely high quality. Amazing that it's a first-time entry.

m5rammy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages m5rammy
Re: Autumn Rhythm by Jackson Pollock

I'm not sure exactly what it is about this composition, but it is very beautiful.
It makes me happy.

vorteks

Re: The Phantom Landscape by Magritte

Highly highly highly awesome. I'm in for 3.

vorteks

Re: The Twittering Machine

Looks familiar... haven't we had a blue mechanical bird shirt in recent memory?

Also, the placement here seems a bit sub-optimal.

jjjoven

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jjjoven
Re: The Thinker

Ingeniosa!

hannaz92

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hannaz92
DivineAna wrote:OK, but in order for printing a shirt design to be profitable, Woot has to print them in bulk. Say there are three phoenix designs that get voted to the top at one time. Unfortunately, when it comes to buying, not everyone who voted is going to buy the shirt. In fact, all 700 of the people who voted for these three phoenix designs all decide to buy different shirts, so about 200 of each design gets sold, when Woot printed, at minimum, 500 shirts. So now they have 300 left over of each shirt, and no buyers on the horizon.

If, instead, they print one phoenix design, everyone who's interested in the phoenix design buys that one shirt-- and all 500 or so prints sell out.

Remember that high votes don't always translate into high sales. Keep on eye on the reckoning page, and sometimes you'll see designs that were voted first one week vanish the next from poor sales, while designs that came in third stick around for weeks and weeks. Furthermore, Woot is trying to appeal to people who don't vote in derbies as well-- people who presumably look at the phoenix shirt and say, "It's nice and all, but I bought a phoenix shirt the last time they printed one, and I'm not trying to earn the office nickname of Phoenix-Boy, so I think I won't buy this one,".

And what about the people who missed the other phoenix's. I mean if you like phoenix's alot, you won't mind another one. Since this one is pretty different from most of the others printed by woot...

vorteks

badkittyface wrote:Enh... I would like this a lot better without the movie reference. The shirt stands on its own without it. If you took out the movie-Scream character, I'd definitely buy it. :/

I agree, it'd be better without the masked guy.

YinofYang

quality posts: 0 Private Messages YinofYang

This truly captured my attention when it posted. There's something about your artwork that is so arresting. You've GMV and good luck!

xiaobaosg

quality posts: 1 Private Messages xiaobaosg
Re: The Last supper

Inspired by Leonardo Da Vinci's The Last Supper.

A cat attempts to take the challenge to greatest heights by catching the biggest "fish" on earth. Will this be the last supper of his life?!

effiew

quality posts: 0 Private Messages effiew

I really love this.

effiew

quality posts: 0 Private Messages effiew

I don't understand why this was rejected.

kushalm

crap, that didn't quite work out like i wanted it to...here's the link http://tinyurl.com/3yhkyau

mm292151

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mm292151
Re: The Physical Impossibility of Death...

Awesome Job. Got my vote.

albinoapple

quality posts: 2 Private Messages albinoapple
DivineAna wrote:OK, but in order for printing a shirt design to be profitable, Woot has to print them in bulk. Say there are three phoenix designs that get voted to the top at one time. Unfortunately, when it comes to buying, not everyone who voted is going to buy the shirt. In fact, all 700 of the people who voted for these three phoenix designs all decide to buy different shirts, so about 200 of each design gets sold, when Woot printed, at minimum, 500 shirts. So now they have 300 left over of each shirt, and no buyers on the horizon.

Your logic fails when you look at the fact that the last phoenix shirt to print was almost exactly a year ago. ;P

jomichar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jomichar

This is great! Even though yellow shirts look horrible on me I would still totally wear this.

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: Three Musicians
lonelypond wrote:cute

Thanks lonelypond!

Vote!

splodie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages splodie
Re: Reinterpreting Don Quixote by Picasso

Yeah, bummer. I voted for it and then later went back to take a look at the original (I hadn't looked at it in a long time) and realized it was way to close. Before I could come back to remove my vote, Woot had done it for me.

No wonder I liked it so much.