bellarific

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bellarific
effiew wrote:I don't understand why this was rejected.

For the same reason most rejections are happening this week. The point of the derby was to re-interpret the title of a famous piece of art. Instead of using a different style/scene/setting to depict a "starry night", this artist recreated Van Gogh's Starry night, but with a few twists.

That being said, I think this is a great first effort.

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: The Tree of Life
smity2220 wrote:I love the pears...totally voting for this one!

Glad you noticed and love the pears! Thanks smity2220!

Vote!

contemporaryscarlett

quality posts: 0 Private Messages contemporaryscarlett

This is gorgeous, and I would want one... but for the storm drain. For some reason I find that distracting from the beauty. Just me?

capedcrusader514

quality posts: 1 Private Messages capedcrusader514
phrozt wrote:Very interesting take, and nicely executed.

I wonder how it would look if you made your images smaller to represent the full flag, but still keep the gothic texture...

Or put it vertical.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Re: The Phantom Landscape by Magritte

Thanks for the comments! I love doing book related designs like this one but they seem to be really tricky to make wearable and avoid that "two things right on your chest" look. One day I'll figure it out.

tico0001

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tico0001
Re: Burning Giraffes in Brown by Dali

I'm still a sucker for any burning giraffe drawing... but wouldn't this one fall under the "Off topic, reinterpreting artwork, not title" rejection?

~Tico

daretodream237

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daretodream237
Kelsium wrote:I feel so peaceful after looking at this. It is great. I love all the anatomy T-shirts.

+1

Ya~ that's what I feel~
Love this shirt~ =D

parrotworks

quality posts: 16 Private Messages parrotworks
tgentry wrote:Thanks for the comments! I love doing book related designs like this one but they seem to be really tricky to make wearable and avoid that "two things right on your chest" look. One day I'll figure it out.

Try the words without the book in the shape of a bird.

profbrendan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages profbrendan

Thank you both!

misrymonky

quality posts: 2 Private Messages misrymonky
bellarific wrote:For the same reason most rejections are happening this week. The point of the derby was to re-interpret the title of a famous piece of art. Instead of using a different style/scene/setting to depict a "starry night", this artist recreated Van Gogh's Starry night, but with a few twists.

I agree, an awesome first effort! Good luck next time!

examae

quality posts: 0 Private Messages examae
pi3832 wrote:Makes me think of District 9, despite the scarcity of robots in that movie.

Lol, I thought that the first time i saw it too. But then I was trying to explain the connection to a friend and I realized that it's an alien in District 9, not a robot.. :X haha, still love it, and I love those paintings someone posted up earlier (!!)

examae

Re: Sky and Water

cosmiccow wrote:I love it. It pays homage to the original while still being original.

This. +1

walmazan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages walmazan
Re: Man Holding Up a Baby as Though He Were...

Hahaha Boots, you never fail!

Love it, and looks very wearable!

and +1

jomichar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jomichar
Beefcoat wrote:Thanks everyone for all of your nice comments. I feel like this design brought me to the next step in coloring.

I must also say that we are officially stumped when it comes to what will fly here on woot.

Thanks again

You and me both. But this design is incredible. I wish I could color like that!

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: Woman with Yellow Hair - Pablo Picasso.

Lovely... and a gentle mood with colors we don't get to see too often.

Vote!

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
tico0001 wrote:I'm still a sucker for any burning giraffe drawing... but wouldn't this one fall under the "Off topic, reinterpreting artwork, not title" rejection?

~Tico

When I saw the rejections for that I began to wonder the same.

Here is the original piece by Dali. I tried to draw something that was very different, concept-wise. It will be up to the staff to decide the fat of the poor flaming tall ones.

studio1172

quality posts: 0 Private Messages studio1172
Re: Sailing the Catboat by Winslow Homer

As promised many derbies ago, I will always give you a vote!

examae

Re: Triple Self-Portrait

Thanks for all the kind words everyone! I'm not sure this'll print, but I thoroughly, thoroughly appreciate all the votes and all the comments. It makes me want to draw again/keep going :^)

examae

Does woot ever un-reject entries?

Darquis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis
joshuajmasters wrote:I think adding elements of modern pop culture into a classical work is on topic, since the title is "Don Quixote" and the work represents a modern interpretation of a archtype character in a classic style. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it.

Yes, but how does this represent Don Quixote reinterpreted? Not the original piece, but the title?

Darquis

Re: Tommervik's Robin

I gotta disagree with this rejection - yeah the artwork is reinterpreted, but so is the title. It's no longer a person named Robin, but the bird also called robin - removing the letter would have been a nice touch too but just because the artwork has been reinterpreted doesn't default it to off topic

qdibble

quality posts: 0 Private Messages qdibble
Re: The Umbrellas

Really hope this prints. Would be my fourth shirt by you and surely my favorite.

Darquis

bellarific wrote:For the same reason most rejections are happening this week. The point of the derby was to re-interpret the title of a famous piece of art. Instead of using a different style/scene/setting to depict a "starry night", this artist recreated Van Gogh's Starry night, but with a few twists.

I don't think that reinterpretation and recreation (but with twists, as you put it) are mutually exclusive.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 210 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: Inspired by The Great Wave

Back in the fog where it belongs. I really want one of these.

Dragonfancy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Dragonfancy

Looks nice!

Re: Sky and Water

Darquis

So the rejectonator seems to be hitting some entries with no rhyme or reason - some entries are kicked for reinterpreting the art, not the title (although they do both) and then others that do the same thing are left alone. I know the rejectonator is fickle, but cmon, a little consistency please

tico0001

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tico0001
bumpass wrote:How about something original man? You always do the same "steampunk" robot holding something smaller and cuter.

mmmm... What? you must be confused... maybe you should check your facts before you say things that make little sense?

http://shirt.woot.com/Search/?cx=partner-pub-2332856072838068:3mrkiy-mofz&cof=FORID:9&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=patrickspens&sa=Search&siteurl=shirt.woot.com/Search/Frame.aspx

~Tico

sokowa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa
imsochady wrote:The flames look AMAZING!!! Great job!

Agreed. Flames are top notch.. . .SHOW OFFS :P

I read the comments about the threat of rejection . . .I hope not. I now imagine them running frantically away from the rejectionator.

SeedUvPain

quality posts: 10 Private Messages SeedUvPain
Re: Honey Is Sweeter Than Blood

Based on the painting of the same name by Dali, this shirt proves that cute little vampire bears love to suck honey from plastic shaped to look like them

wylekat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wylekat
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=44442]Mis- interpretation of

The image quality is due only to image artifacting from reducing it. I spent FAR too much time making pen strokes on the actual design.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Haha, brilliant idea! +1

jomichar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jomichar
Re: The Tree of Life

I'm always a sucker for dark green ink on a green shirt. Something about that color scheme just calls to me. And I really dig all the subtle little details here, especially the snake. I can see how Eve was so tempted!

nrarmen

quality posts: 6 Private Messages nrarmen

I didn't get it until I figured out the ocean hand was waving. I just figured the ocean hand was going to high-five (read as collide) with the people lol...

carmania

quality posts: 0 Private Messages carmania

i love this and its gonna break my heart if it doesnt get made and i dont get one. everyone vote plz

mroselli

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mroselli

I really hope that this shirt gets printed! It's very clever and hilarious. Great college shirt! =]

espetrell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages espetrell
Re: The Umbrellas

The footprints are just too cute, and a really nice touch! GMV

SeedUvPain

quality posts: 10 Private Messages SeedUvPain
tgentry wrote:Haha, brilliant idea! +1

Thank you sir!

bluetuba

quality posts: 57 Private Messages bluetuba

lol! I like this, even though it's kinda cute.. got my vote! That poor honey-bear!

walmazan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages walmazan
Re: Burning Giraffes in Brown by Dali

Guys you are unstoppable! I love so much the characters and the flames!, One more time you got my vote!

phrozt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages phrozt
Re: Night Watch

Absolutely beautiful shirt.