tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
walmazan wrote:Guys you are unstoppable! I love so much the characters and the flames!, One more time you got my vote!

Unstoppable says the man with 2 wins in two weeks and another sqaurely in the fog this week I'm glad you like it but it seems you sir are unstoppable, maybe give us a chance next week and go on vacation ;)

spookynutz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spookynutz
badkittyface wrote:Enh... I would like this a lot better without the movie reference. The shirt stands on its own without it. If you took out the movie-Scream character, I'd definitely buy it. :/

Agreed. The masked Scream guy is too cheesy.

badkittyface

quality posts: 0 Private Messages badkittyface
Re: Sailing the Catboat by Winslow Homer

AAAAAH!!! IT MUST WIN! <3

You are a sexy beast if you vote for this shirt! C'mon! =^.^=

yankeebird

quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
Re: La Pieta by Michelangelo

Definitely NOT a shirt.woot color.

gwyn779

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwyn779
Re: Three Musicians

Thanks for the votes so far! I haven't done graphics work in over 5 years, so relearning many things (in addition to new software).

megsck

quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck
AdderXYU wrote:By my definition, the title itself should be reinterpreted.

Taking your piece: you clearly parodied the piece of artwork as opposed to reinterpreting the title. Let's put it this way: if you drew Homer with a Donut in the same position but in a different style, it would have little to do with discus or throwing. He would be in a similar pose, but arguably the concept would be homer throwing a donut like a discus, not discus throwing in general. Is it a lazy pander of a concept anyway? I'd argue yes. But that's quite beside the point in terms of this design.

To take one of the most obvious pieces in the fog, however, if Robbie's "great wave" was drawn in any other style, the whole of the concept would still be there, and the whole of the title would still be represented. He -also- parodies the work itself, as opposed to -just- doing so. It fits the theme because the title is being illustrated. Instead of a sea wave, there's a hand wave. Made of the sea? Sure is. But it's not the same.

More arguably, the shark in the tank. Honestly, I tattled on that one too, but I haven't seen any reason to make a big deal over it because the title is so ambiguous. It's literally just a shark in a tank, just as the other piece is just a shark in a tank. The title doesn't have anything to do with the image in either case. But in the same ways one can explain away what Hirst likely meant, it's a whole lot harder to conclusively say that's off topic.

But again, your piece is indeed different in that its entire crux is the pop reference. It would work as a concept if there was a reason for homer simpson to be using a donut as a discus... maybe if he was at the olympics, and a bunch of discus guys were hanging around and he had his donut... but as presented here, it's obviously more of a reinterpretation of the art itself than any sort of attempt to re-imagine the title. The theme asks us to ask ourselves "what could this title look like in another context". It should be more of an association exercise.

If you are so convinced of a personal vendetta against you due to your use of pop culture, however, you should perhaps consider: how often do you sandwich pop culture into a design? I wager there is more guilty conscience behind such a belief than truth. Though I do thank you for believing I have any real clout with the woot powers that be. Believe me, we'd have far different reckoning results every week if things I tattled on were rightfully rejected.

you keep mentioning the big wave design...so why dont you explain why the other big wave design got rejected and the one in the fog didnt, they both basically have redrawn the wave but with added elements, and if that one was rejected why not the other...you always mouth your opinions quickly to the design that you dont like, but if its a design you like you dont seem to care at all...and as for your hatred of all things pop culture, they have just as much right to be made as indie art or fine art or any othe art, and you have no basis to say which one is better or not. so how about when you dont like a design you can just not look at it, and when you like something you vote for it. and if for some reason you dont believe that the entry follows the rules, you should tattle on it...but you dont have to constantly harass the person in his comments.

RagnarokAngel

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RagnarokAngel
AdderXYU wrote:This.

In this case, we have the image, starry night, reinterpreted with a robot and some satellites. there is no starry night involved. It's Night With Glowing Satellites.

Ergo, the title is only reinterpreted insofar as the title is the title of the reinterpreted art.

I'm pretty sure it would have flown just fine if it wasn't in the style of "Starry Night", ergo it shouldn't matter.

jbb04

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbb04

Still, GREAT first entry, and PLEASE don't give up on Shirt.Woot! I hope to see you in more derbies.

SeedUvPain

quality posts: 10 Private Messages SeedUvPain
walmazan wrote:HAHHAHA! I love it!

Yeah! Thank you!

jbb04

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbb04
Re: The Problem we all live with

I don't understand why this was rejected. "The Problem We All Live With" is a very famous work of art.

fabgab

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fabgab
Re: The Umbrellas

I LOVE this. Something about it is so striking. And it's a great interpretation of the original.

Also, thank you for choosing to interpret one of the classics. Nothing against the more modern selections, I just think the traditionals get less love sometimes.

jb2colorado

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jb2colorado
Darquis wrote:Sorry, your logic is erroneous - it's the weekend, and 0 shirts have been rejected thus far. It'll probably get annihilated (if it does) tomorrow (today, technically).

1. correct you are, it was "annihilated"
2. my logic wasn't erroneous, I just didn't know that Woot! didn't "reject" shirts over the weekend. If my logic was erroneous, I would've said something like "Well I looked at the Sistine Chapel and it doesn't look anything like the artwork on this shirt, so there is no way it'll be rejected." That would be flawed logic.

IndependentVik

quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik
Re: The Physical Impossibility of Death...

So completely random/awesome. I just _had_ to vote for it.

IndependentVik

quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik
Re: Winged Victory

I don't know what they're talking about, DF, the poses of the legs look great. GMV, b/c hello EPIC, but I'm 50/50 on a buy . . . my last two shirts were asphalt. Durn you, asphalt!

lucky1988

quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
Re: The Discus Thrower

Thanks for the support everyone, I appreciate it. Please, I wish to close this discussion peacefully and promptly, I fully accept the rejection and harbor no hard feelings towards anyone. Let's move onward and forward to future derbies.

sasham62

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sasham62

Also not the Woot Template, and the submitter reworked the original artwork (see here) rather than reinterpreting the title.

lucky1988

quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
Re: Sailing the Catboat by Winslow Homer

@janesko- Cheers! Yes I believe it's called a masthead. It's usually a dragon but I "kitty-fied" it.

@badkittyface-thanks!

Siax

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Siax
jbb04 wrote:Still, GREAT first entry, and PLEASE don't give up on Shirt.Woot! I hope to see you in more derbies.

I totally agree you have a gift and it shouldn't go to waste. I look forward to purchasing your designs

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
RagnarokAngel wrote:I'm pretty sure it would have flown just fine if it wasn't in the style of "Starry Night", ergo it shouldn't matter.

You're basing a logical argument on an unprovable assumption with no logical reason for making said assumption?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

jiniebell

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jiniebell

I love the image but olive isn't working for me... White, baby blue or black would give a better feel... it just seems to clash with the olive... but just my opinion.

amoliski

quality posts: 2 Private Messages amoliski

This is the first time I REALLY disagreed with a rejection. I guess I don't understand the point of this derby. From the way I am looking at it, this fits closely enough to the topic and was so well done that they could have let it slide. I would have gotten one.

Titles of artwork really don't mean much, would a proper entry dealing with starry night be... a knight with a shield with stars on it or something?

I guess what I am saying is that I am very upset that I will not be wearing this shirt any time soon.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
tjost wrote:Unstoppable says the man with 2 wins in two weeks and another sqaurely in the fog this week I'm glad you like it but it seems you sir are unstoppable, maybe give us a chance next week and go on vacation ;)

Noooo, I want more Walmazan! -rolls around in adorable fun-

Lagbert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert
Re: Washington Crossing the Delaware [and Friends]

Back before Delware became a blood sucking vampire it was a cute little state who enjoyed having fun with his friends Massachusetts and New Jersey. Everyday on their way to school Washington would be there to help them safely cross the road.

5 colors on baby blue.

This is my second play on Washington Crossing the Delaware. Is design is also a bit of an homage to the Abby Road cover art.

Comments and suggestions are aways appreciated!

Thanks!

Darquis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis
kylemittskus wrote:You're missing Bella's point and the reason for the rejection.

It's the title of the work that is supposed to be reinterpreted, not the piece itself. In this case, the designer was supposed to present his/her reinterpretation of "starry night," not of the original piece of art, "Starry Night."

It's been reinterpreted as a robots starry night, in a similar style to the original. I can see others not agreeing with me that it's reinterpreted. Just because you reinterpret the title doesn't mean ideas of the original can't remain.

Darquis

jb2colorado wrote:1. correct you are, it was "annihilated"
2. my logic wasn't erroneous, I just didn't know that Woot! didn't "reject" shirts over the weekend. If my logic was erroneous, I would've said something like "Well I looked at the Sistine Chapel and it doesn't look anything like the artwork on this shirt, so there is no way it'll be rejected." That would be flawed logic.

Woot! hasn't taken it down, so it obviously fits within the parameters.

That's why I said the logic was erroneous - "they haven't taken it down yet, so therefore it's ok".

Regardless, I liked the concept and it's unfortunate that it was off topic and not original art.

ulsterkw

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ulsterkw
Re: Woman with Yellow Hair - Pablo Picasso.

Really well done and the best shirt for this derby. I hope you make it!

Darquis

lucky1988 wrote:
In addition if he's attacking my work as REINTERPRETING the actual artwork and not the title, I still see a lot of entries, even some in the fog that are in violation of "his" views. By his definition all of the entries should have no traces or similarities whatsoever to the actual artwork/painting/sculpture and be completely different and original works of art. Distribute the fertilizer evenly and fairly. Is that too much to ask for? BTW I was thanking not blaming.

Well, as I said, Adder isn't the judge and jury here - so entries that violate the theme of the derby in similar ways that are still up can be put down to inconsistent rulings by woot staff - which has been known to happen on more than one occasion during a derby.

imsochady

quality posts: 25 Private Messages imsochady
Re: Michelangelo's David

Ah phooey! Oh wells. Thanks again for the peeps who were amused by this and gave support and left them cool comments. Cheers to you all!

beagledsc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beagledsc

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613

photo, not original artwork, not woot shirt color, not what woot is looking for

flynch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flynch
Re: Nighthawks

red tailed hawks repopulate new york - ode to edward hopper's nighthawks

serenityx

quality posts: 1 Private Messages serenityx
Re: The Persistence of Memory

i LOVE this one. I MUST have it.

lonelypond

quality posts: 410 Private Messages lonelypond
Re: Man Holding Up a Baby as Though He Were...

nice, although I vote for melting clock in the drip

snarkygal

quality posts: 4 Private Messages snarkygal
Re: The Umbrellas

I love this, but I really don't like asphalt. I do see how this works on it, but as a personal preference, I just don't like the color and it doesn't seem to hold up as well as some of the other colors.

But your work is stellar on this piece. GMV

BentoBoxx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BentoBoxx
Re: Dogs Playing Poker

I like the halftone...it gives it that classy painted on black velvet look!

Roger says WOOT!

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: The Tree of Life
jomichar wrote:I'm always a sucker for dark green ink on a green shirt. Something about that color scheme just calls to me. And I really dig all the subtle little details here, especially the snake. I can see how Eve was so tempted!

I hear ya - I'm a sucker for dark green ink on green shirts too;)
Glad you notice and like all the little details - thanks jomichar! There are more details not in the closeups, perhaps I will post more closeups later.

snarkygal

quality posts: 4 Private Messages snarkygal
Re: The Boxer

Always makes me smile when I see a pucker entry :-)

missmissa07

quality posts: 12 Private Messages missmissa07
badkittyface wrote:The lizards are undeniably cute, but you failed to create a true tessellation... it kind of misses the point. :/

I feel that I made the best tessellation that I could. I'm very limited when it comes to art & design, so I put my best effort into the tessellation. It was difficult to get the tails to connect without looking weird, really. I do understand your comment, however, and appreciate it greatly! I'll try harder in the future .

RandomLynx wrote:I wish there were more on here. Also, not sure the shirt color is doing it for me - would a light green have fit better?

Understood . I actually had an additional 2 rows of lizards in the first version but felt the design was too cluttered, so I removed them. Also tried all the varieties of green but thought the design was too "lost" on them, which disappointed me quite a bit because I am a huge green fan!

bassanimation wrote:This is very clever, and actually kind of cute! I love the little faces on the reptiles. +1

Many thanks, bassanimation! :D I actually tried making the lizards have "real" mouths and tried designing them w/ tongues sticking out, but ended up liking the simple squiggles better in the end. I'm glad you like the tee, and thanks for the +1!

dbradford

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dbradford
Re: We Can Do It!

I am a volunteer with an organization that watches sea turtle nests when they are due to hatch, making sure they do head toward the ocean. I love this concept and the others in the organization would buy one too!

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
megsck wrote:you keep mentioning the big wave design...so why dont you explain why the other big wave design got rejected and the one in the fog didnt, they both basically have redrawn the wave but with added elements, and if that one was rejected why not the other...you always mouth your opinions quickly to the design that you dont like, but if its a design you like you dont seem to care at all...and as for your hatred of all things pop culture, they have just as much right to be made as indie art or fine art or any othe art, and you have no basis to say which one is better or not. so how about when you dont like a design you can just not look at it, and when you like something you vote for it. and if for some reason you dont believe that the entry follows the rules, you should tattle on it...but you dont have to constantly harass the person in his comments.

The other great wave design didn't have any WAVE ELEMENT, except for the element which was part of the original. Robbie's Great Wave involves a different wave. It's a wave waving. This is not some difficult to understand concept. His parodies the work but ALSO involves a reinterpetation of the title. A handwave is not a water wave. A water wave with a massive turtle on it is still a water wave, and when done in the same style as the original, it is far more correct to say it's a reinterpretation of the art itself. there needs to be reinterpretation of the title. That is why the theme is reinterpreting famous art titles. Why is robbie's wave great and reinterpreted? It's a different wave, huge and coming up from the sea. Why isn't the rejected one? Because the wave and the greatness are not touched. the concept doesn't rely on any sort of wave greatness. It's "the great water battle of some monsters".

I know you're not an artist, which is fine because I'm not either, but from what I hear it is far more helpful to any artist to give all opinions, negative and positive, than to just stay quiet to be nice. And obviously if people can't tell the difference between an entry that actually reinterprets a title and one that doesn't, that sort of input is needed. But I'm always happy to inform.