JesseBYAH

quality posts: 5 Private Messages JesseBYAH
jasneko wrote:Closeup of the ship in the background:

Awesome, Jas. I remember you old mermaid entry (you had one similar to this, right?) but this is definitely a step up. Awesome halftone work, it looks great =) I know you're not too fond of the halftone, but you did a fantastic job!

studio1172

quality posts: 0 Private Messages studio1172
Re: The Physical Impossibility of Death...

I will not say this is awesome because I want it to print and wear it onstage. SO I will just give you my vote and pray that other Wooters do as well.

megsck

quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck

bubsters

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bubsters
Re: Hi, I'm a Mac

LOL...this made me laugh when I saw it.

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
Re: The Concert

This design is based on The Concert by Vermeer. It is based on both the title and the current status of the painting- The Concert is considered to be the most valuable painting currently stolen.

This is my take on the fact that right now, criminals are the only ones who can enjoy The Concert

megsck

Re: Michelangelo's David

the belt covering david's lil davids is hilarious.

joshuajmasters

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joshuajmasters
Re: Don Quixote

It is bright and reminiscent of the Shaving Basin our hero wears upon his head; the Dark Knight of La Mancha looks into the sky and sees the signal that signifies trouble. “I shall tilt with these windmill giants and thwart this Woman of the Cats,” he says in a rasped voice, “for I come into a world of iron to make a world of gold.”

Artist Note: This parody brings together two knights of justice from different worlds into one amalgamated universe. Based on Picasso’s Don Quixote, this is an original drawing and not a modified scan of the painting. PS. That’s armor he’s wearing… not a cardigan.

megsck

Re: The Scream

fantastic! love this color, glad to see a good design on one! =)

amarillo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages amarillo
Re: Pink Angels

Beautiful!

bubsters

Re: Flower Carrier

Beautiful detail work.

JesseBYAH

Awwhh! He's SO CUTE! In a big, metaly, robotic kinda way. Made me think of Wall-E too, haha. Fantastic colors on this!

cosmiccow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cosmiccow

I do really like it though. It's impressive.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
Re: The Great Wave Off Kanagawa

She may well have been the first queen to employ the 'queen's wave' made so popular by QE2. I guess this was during a Grand Tour sponsored by British Teatroleum.

cosmiccow

If you actually read the image, he ripped it out of the ground and is holding the pile of dirt. Making him "flower murderer." (haha)
Very well drawn, I like the pallette! Seems like you see a lot of the "intimidating thing being cute" concept on woot, though.

cosmiccow

Re: Dogs Playing Poker

I absolutely love this.

bubsters

Re: We Can Do It! (Rosie the Riveter)

I really like this one a lot.

anamatics

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anamatics
Re: The Burning Giraffe

Very awesome!

JesseBYAH

Re: The Physical Impossibility of Death...

SG, you are one goofy SOB! This is hilarious. Love the shark's expression, lol
He looks quite manic. As a shark driving a tank would be =P

cosmiccow

Re: Michelangelo's David

This is just awesome. I'm an art historian and I grew up on TMNT (the orignal...both the Eastman and Laird books and the old school cartoon), so this one just strikes a chord with me.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
Re: Dogs Playing Poker

This is excellent! I would prefer it without the halftoned bg, but overall this is hilarious. Great take!

capedcrusader514

quality posts: 1 Private Messages capedcrusader514

I think you would have been OK with the red although this looks good too.

bassanimation

I knew it was you just from the thumbnail! Dayum cool. I can't get over your texture work and how well you do halftones. +1

Draug

quality posts: 69 Private Messages Draug
capedcrusader514 wrote:I love the drawing but the shape of the head is driving me nuts.

I have to agree with caped. Less Neanderthal and more modern human, maybe?

The enemy's gate is down.
Writers are people too! (Albeit strange ones.)
Save Poe! Reckon Nevermore! Or he'll be head-locked forevermore!

Draug

quality posts: 69 Private Messages Draug
Re: Tommervik's Robin

Whenever I look at this I can't help but think of the Thief Lord and his mask. ^_^ I love the colors; voted!

The enemy's gate is down.
Writers are people too! (Albeit strange ones.)
Save Poe! Reckon Nevermore! Or he'll be head-locked forevermore!

cosmiccow

rglee129 wrote:I'm glad you sort of like the design! Believe me, this wasn't a Photoshop quickie. If you compare this design to the original, you'll see the vast majority of it is new, original linework- only the mountain and one wave (not the great one!) were copied (not pasted, but hand copied in the traditional sense) from the original. It was actually difficult to organically end the image and to use only 3 colors for the whole thing, etc.

Also, I really don't think the hand placement is an issue- do you think it would look like it was copping a feel or something?

I hope I don't sound too defensive here, but I'm proud of the way this design turned out and I'd hate for you to think this was a Photochop job!

Oh, no! I didn't mean to imply that you did. It's clear that you started from scratch and meticulously tried to mimic the original. I absolutely love the concept, and that you have the wave and people greeting each other with "konnichiwa." The drawing is extremely well done, and it's a well balanced composition. It's just that, from the perspective of an art historian who interprets this derby as trying to get people to view works or titles in new, unique ways...it's a little TOO meticulous. TOO close to the original. I don't think it's off topic, I just don't think it was quite what they had in mind. (That said, I know you had this design already made, I remember you posting a modified version in the Kawaii thread, so I don't blame you for bringing it out for this one!)
As far as hand placement, that was just my impression as a man, the women may not agree (and so far haven't!)
I wasn't trying to denigrate your work, it's very good.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 225 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: Napoleon Crossing (on a) St Bernard

Dude! This is my favorite of your designs (that I've seen). Superb illo' and coloring.

And it works as a visual joke without knowing you're reinterpreting the art title, 'cause Napolean was tiny. GMV!

cosmiccow

Re: Bird in Space.

This just makes me laugh! Very well done.

awkwardmoose

quality posts: 0 Private Messages awkwardmoose

As soon as I saw this derby I knew I would see some awesome shirts, but NEVER did I expect to see, of all things, a reinvention of my all time favorite Dali painting. gmv. <3

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: Inspired by The Great Wave

I am a sucker for most things 'Great Wave' like... you did an awesome job with it.

bassanimation

Ahh yes! This is so amazing! My favorite overall. Dali's burning giraffes have always intrigued me. Love the details on the giraffe's face. +1!

AlexIAm

quality posts: 4 Private Messages AlexIAm
bassanimation wrote:This is excellent! I would prefer it without the halftoned bg, but overall this is hilarious. Great take!

I think that's what's bugging me too... awesome concept though

>insert funny quote here<

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 225 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: Heart by henri matisse

Hmmm. :-) I've seen <3 shirts before but not with this sculptural idea, and the vanishing point is a nice, thoughtful touch. Cool.

endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega
Re: Inspired by The Great Wave

I am SO thrilled you didn't end up wasting this in the Kawaii derby, and that a more appropriate opportunity for you to showcase it at Woot came along so quickly. GMV, and pulling for a print.

(It will be my second Robbie Lee shirt in the space of about a week if it wins - I couldn't say no to "Green Means Go")

jasneko

Re: The Thinker

So adorable walmazan!!

cashland

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cashland

endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega

Perhaps it's just me, but my mind immediately goes back to this previous Woot print:

http://shirt.woot.com/friends.aspx?k=6264

jasneko

Amazing work!!! I'd love to see a large image/closeup if you wouldn't mind posting one... I want to marvel how you got such depth and texture with 6 colors!

cashland

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cashland

theWanker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theWanker
Re: The Anatomy Lesson of Dr. Nicolaes Tulp

Awesome!

I wasn't familiar with the work, so I figured I'd post it for others here:

Getting Rembrandt to wear the shirt is almost more epic than the design.

profbrendan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages profbrendan
Re: Yo Picasso

Yes, it’s a pun on Yo! MTV Raps. I’m sorry.

Here’s the original, a self portrait by Pablo Picasso. You can clearly see that the same amount of artistry and skill has gone into mine.

Four colors on cranberry. I hope you don’t think too poorly of me.